Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Yeah, this is actually one of the few times in a while that Sega hasn't been giving us the whole 'going back to Sonic's roots' spiel. They've emphasised that they're trying new things instead.

• Thumbs Up 2

-2D isn't an element of nostalgia, it's a design philosophy

-there has been no "roots" marketing trick... At all

-Simpler stories are not an element of nostalgia because the classics had technological limitations that prevented from telling complex plots. And S3&k is way more complex than the past three games.

-The classics had tails and knuckles playable, and Knuckles isn't even in colors or Unleashed

- reusing old enemies is once again not a product of nostalgia, it's simply recurring element. You're essentially saying using any old content is "relying" on nostalgia, which means every game in the series does this by using Rings. And this isn't even getting into the fact that there are new enemies blatantly shown in the trailers.

Probably said it far better than I did lol

I really do think they should speed Sonic up. He just looks so slow in the game - you actually slow down when you hit the ground after grinding. I don't want Sonic Generations levels of speed or anything, but you can afford a little more speed, SEGA. If anything I'd put the walk speed halfway between the current walk speed and the current run speed and increase the run speed to at least the grinding speed

I really do think they should speed Sonic up. He just looks so slow in the game - you actually slow down when you hit the ground after grinding. I don't want Sonic Generations levels of speed or anything, but you can afford a little more speed, SEGA. If anything I'd put the walk speed halfway between the current walk speed and the current run speed and increase the run speed to at least the grinding speed

Thing is, you can see the Speed Shoes will return, they probably want to give Sonic a speed that's not too much but at the same time won't make Sonic uncontrollable once you activate the speed shoes... Think of Classic Sonic's top speed on a straight line, with no up or downhills for him to get even faster/slower with momentum, that's the speed they seem to be aiming at.

Edited by Ratcicle King

His speed looked okay in Windy Hill Zone 4. I mean, he seems to run at the same speed as he did in Sonic 1 (the original, not the TaxStealth version), I don't see what's wrong with that. But I am thrilled that the boost is gone and the spin dash has returned in 3D.

It looks so amusing to spin-dash up a slope in this game, and I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out for myself. 

Edited by Wil348
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well apparently the Lost World style of gameplay isn't going to stick around past this game, but it's unclear if they mean the whole thing or just the parkour mechanics specifically.

Well apparently the Lost World style of gameplay isn't going to stick around past this game, but it's unclear if they mean the whole thing or just the parkour mechanics specifically.

Where did you hear that? All I remember hearing is that the parkour wont be returning after this game.

Where'd you hear this?

Where did you hear that? All I remember hearing is that the parkour wont be returning after this game.

And where'd you hear that?

Edited by Balding Spider

I remember Iizuka saying on an interview that if Lost World's feedback is good enough, they'll keep the parkour, just like what happened to the wisps after Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

And where'd you hear that?

I think Iizuka said it at SoS or Boom, I can't remember exactly.

Also I think what Blitz means is that the tubular level design isn't coming back after Lost World. As long as they don't bring back the Unleashed/Generations gameplay, I don't mind. I think seeing Sonic back on his world with his Lost World moveset will be interesting. 

What I heard was there is nothing concrete on that at the moment...

All you want, is for Sonic games to be more like your beloved SA1/SA2 (and other games from that period), because you're nostalgic about those games. If they were reusing ideas from those games, would you complain about stories getting far too melodramatic and convoluted for their own good? Would you complain about them bringing back and overusing Knuckles' treasure hunting and Tails' Mechshooting? Would you complain about the franchise losing focus on he title character; Sonic, in favour of diluting the game by overusing the ridiculously bloated supporting cast too often? Would you complain about the franchise losing its identity, trying to do too many new things, forgetting the core principles that birthed the series in the first place?

That would still be nostalgia pandering but for a whole different side of the fandom, e.g. the adventure era fans like myself. The problem is since Unleashed their aim has been to please classic fans mostly, absolutely ignoring the adventure fans like they don't even exist. I get it, we're not the majority or in gaming press but still. There could be something for Sa-fans as well but somehow they think there are only classic fans and obscure "modern" fans who are fans of....modern Sonic.

Edited by ArtFenix

Actually since Unleashed they have been trying to win new fans over. And they seem to be succeeding.

idk, like I said he could have just been referring to the parkour mechanics specifically, so the run button might be a permanent thing. Iizuka said that they have no intentions of bringing the parkour back, but may do so later down the line if they're recieved well. At the very least the parkour won't be returning for the other unannounced game that's still in development.

edit: fuck you guys, posting while I'm writing my posts

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

So you basically just want Nostalgia pandering to Adventure fans? Isn't that a bit hypocritical. 

Did you just happen to miss the part where he said "that would just be pandering to a different demographic"

I think the run button will be permanent. How it'll work in future games remains to be seen. 

So, if he doesn't want a game that's visually and conceptually a modern-classic game Like Lost Worlds, which by his opinion is pandering to the Classic fans, and doesn't want a game that takes some notes of the SA style that would pander to the SA fans... What does he want?

To be perfectly honest, I think Sonic Team have finally found a middle ground. Most people (minus a very small vocal minority) seem to like Lost World, and I think it's the perfect compromise between Classic and Modern gameplay, with some new ideas squeezed in for good measure. That and a pleasantly surprising amount of polish is what makes Lost World really shine.

I can already tell that I am going to have a ton of fun with this game, and I really cannot stress enough how much I am loving the graphics too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That would still be nostalgia pandering but for a whole different side of the fandom, e.g. the adventure era fans like myself. The problem is since Unleashed their aim has been to please classic fans mostly, absolutely ignoring the adventure fans like they don't even exist. I get it, we're not the majority or in gaming press but still. There could be something for Sa-fans as well but somehow they think there are only classic fans and obscure "modern" fans who are fans of....modern Sonic.

Just because classic fans like this game doesn't mean it's pandering to them...it just means they like it and aren't picky like you.

• Thumbs Up 9

Generations: Speed Highway, Emerald Coast, Radical Highway and City Escape You got some of the most recognizable levels in 3D Sonic, and you think they are ignoring you? Sounds more like you are ignoring them.