Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Is this "Goddamn Planet" thing, gonna become a thing for this game?
Please don't give the internet any ideas for potential memes...

I do like the re-imagining of old badniks in this game but I wish we had more original ones. Instead of relying on classics designs all the time, create new awesome designs that will become classics. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 6

There do appear to be one or two new enemies, like those crocs.

And I don't feel like there's anything wrong with going back to the well, considering that some of these are pretty obscure. 

New enemies seen so far, tornado generators, rolling cacti balls, sheep, crocs, spiders, sandworms/Giant variant, dragonfly's design change, snowmen, scorpions, drill insect, eel.

• Thumbs Up 4

I do like the re-imagining of old badniks in this game but I wish we had more original ones. Instead of relying on classics designs all the time, create new awesome designs that will become classics. 

They rely on nostalgia waaaaay too much since Unleashed and it's only gotten worse since then.

• Thumbs Up 1

They rely on nostalgia waaaaay too much since Unleashed and it's only gotten worse since then.

Generations and Sonic 4 are like the only games that are based around nostalgia, unless you think using recurring elements somehow qualifies.

Then I get all the Goombas, Koopas, Magikoopas in Mario games means they rely to much on nostalgia too.

• Thumbs Up 4

Then I get all the Goombas, Koopas, Magikoopas in Mario games means they rely to much on nostalgia too.

Isn't there always new variations of those every game though? And then there was Mario World which introduced us to Boos and Charging Chucks, mixing new enemy types with the staples. That's kinda what I want for Sonic's enemies. Keep the recurring enemies but add new enemies as well. Not complete reliance on the recurring stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is this "Goddamn Planet" thing, gonna become a thing for this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnSbgtCc7iA

Maybe.

New enemies seen so far, tornado generators, rolling cacti balls, sheep, crocs, spiders, sandworms/Giant variant, dragonfly's design change, snowmen, scorpions, drill insect, eel.

Have to say I actually like that we get indigenous species as enemies in this game. Every other we've had organic enemies they've always been monster spawn, or biological weapons. With the acceptation of the massive Eel from Aquarium Park that is.

If sticking to your roots is considered to be a crime, then I don't want a clean record.

I think the big issue is the number of old to new Badniks. I can't believe I'm going to say this but they should take a note from episode 2 in that regard.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since Unleashed? I could only list three classic references in Unleashed off the top of my head; The Chaos Emerald jingle, side scrolling sections, and Buzzers. The rest is original.

Edited by Auto
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have to say I actually like that we get indigenous species as enemies in this game. Every other we've had organic enemies they've always been monster spawn, or biological weapons. With the acceptation of the massive Eel from Aquarium Park that is. 

What about the famous orca?

In any case, you do have a good point. It's fun to get enemies that aren't robots every once in a while. With the robots that we do have on the other had... yeah, I wish that we could have much more as a part of a fresh batch. It's great to see some old classic's into the fray, but it'd be even greater if we could see, as Chaos said, new classics.

There are quite a few new badniks that could turn classic, such as the aformentioned spiders, but I'd prefer these badniks to be the majority of the ones being fought, with a more even balance between them and some older ones. Keep the classics, and mix in a lot of new stuff to keep the scales even.

Since Unleashed? I could only list three classic references in Unleashed off the top of my head; The Chaos Emerald jingle, side scrolling sections, and Buzzers. The rest is original.

The only thing that was classic in unleashed were the killer bees that looked like buzzbombers

To be fair, Lost World is really the only Sonic game that's taken badnik cues from almost every point in the series' history and added new ones. Sonic 4 used either Sonic 1/2 enemies or new ones, Generations only used badniks for their original zones.

Now on the other hand we've got badniks from 1, 2, 3, CD, Adventure, Heroes, AND new ones, including many badniks that really haven't been seen since their original games and new variations of old badniks too. How is that such a bad thing? They can put in as much as they like, it's not like these enemies have been in every single game like other platformers are guilty of, sure motobugs get around, but that can't be said for most of SLW's badniks.

I'm betting Zones we haven't seen yet will also have new badniks, or what if there are badniks based on wisps? Plus don't forget the future of the series is just beginning, it's not really fair to say SLW is taking way too much from its predecessors when it's honestly the first game to be so old and so new all at the same time. It's actually doing something really different for the Sonic series by amalgamating in a mix rather than in isolated segments.

Like.. it's new for the series and will make a lot of people happy. Give the series a break because you can't just assume it's gonna be like this forever if this is pretty much the first game to do it to this scale.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Isn't there always new variations of those every game though? And then there was Mario World which introduced us to Boos and Charging Chucks, mixing new enemy types with the staples. That's kinda what I want for Sonic's enemies. Keep the recurring enemies but add new enemies as well. Not complete reliance on the recurring stuff.

I don't think anyone's saying they should never make new enemies, just that reusing some popular/memorable ones is perfectly ok.

And we have seen a lot of new enemies in SLoW. Giant sandworms, submarine eelbots, searchlight owlbots, giant ball cacti, spiderbots, the crocodiles, the juice(?) squirters from the beehive stage, I think the laser-shooting dragonfly robots are new too...

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think anyone's saying they should never make new enemies, just that reusing some popular/memorable ones is perfectly ok.

And we have seen a lot of new enemies in SLoW. Giant sandworms, submarine eelbots, searchlight owlbots, giant ball cacti, spiderbots, the crocodiles, the juice(?) squirters from the beehive stage, I think the laser-shooting dragonfly robots are new too...

Those honey squirters are the badniks from flying battery zone known as blaster except they blind you while reversing and those dragonfly's look like a design change from dragonfly in mushroom hill also I've never seen them butterflies before in the honey stage along with them bees

Edited by DarkShadowMaster

The only ones it had that were new were the super motobug, Giant spikes chaser, the giant orbinaut mini boss that controls gravity and egg pawns with different attire to fit each zone

The only ones it had that were new were the super motobug, Giant spikes chaser, the giant orbinaut mini boss that controls gravity and egg pawns with different attire to fit each zone

Acutally there was a different looking mole and a ball that throw rings and spikes.

Generations and Sonic 4 are like the only games that are based around nostalgia, unless you think using recurring elements somehow qualifies.

- 2D in 3D main Sonic games has become the recurring thing since Unleashed

- "going back to Sonic's roots" marketing trick. Since Unleashed

- simpler stories. Again since Unleashed. Has gotten only progressively worse since then

- Sonic-only bullshit and only classic characters appearing in the game. Since Unleashed yet again

- Increasing number of old badniks rehashing and new enemies reduction. Has gotten progressively worse as well.

Acutally there was a different looking mole and a ball that throw rings and spikes.

You mean the sprinkler, the vase with a robotic eye

- 2D in 3D main Sonic games has become the recurring thing since Unleashed

- "going back to Sonic's roots" marketing trick. Since Unleashed

- simpler stories. Again since Unleashed. Has gotten only progressively worse since then

- Sonic-only bullshit and only classic characters appearing in the game. Since Unleashed yet again

- Increasing number of old badniks rehashing and new enemies reduction. Has gotten progressively worse as well.

Most of what I see here is shit you don't like... Edited by Ben Tennyson