Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

The candy zone had 3 boosters right beside each other. 

Windy Hill has one before the tree. You don't need to force the tree parkour thing.

Seriously, in a parkour related game with a run trigger. THERE IS NO NEED FOR BOOSTERS.

I personally would excuse the one before the tree. I can see why it appears very out of place but I think it'll be a useful introductory feature to younger or less experienced Sonic players. I'm sure a lot of people who pick up the game won't instinctively think to run up the tree based on previous experience, hitting that booster will show them that Sonic can do that now.

It's just like a tutorial feature within gameplay, without Omochao or Tails yelling at you. 

The 3 is Desert Ruins is pretty dumb though.

Edited by Gatestormer
  • Thumbs Up 1

the whole game has been advertising parkour everywhere.

Parkour should be up to the player's mind. 

No need to say "YOU CAN PARKOUR UP THIS TREE".

Well at least it's not Omochao saying it.

• Thumbs Up 2

the whole game has been advertising parkour everywhere.

Parkour should be up to the player's mind. 

No need to say "YOU CAN PARKOUR UP THIS TREE".

Well at least it's not Omochao saying it.

You're right that it's been advertising it, but we're the minority of the audience, the people who actually see all the marketing and gameplay videos. It's just going to show people how Sonic has changed in this game. If I was 8 years old, I really doubt I would know to run up that tree, I don't even think I'd know this game existed yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I see, and that mode is where parkour happens. (I think I've missed out on a couple of articles/interviews)

The amount of exposure a game has doesn't necessarily justify them showing the mechanics in that kind of fashion. The tree being directly in your path and wide enough should be enough of a clue, and the fact that footage shows later hitting springs planted on the top of the trees should give the game away.

Forcing the player to learn that way how the mechanics work has a downside too. Its not hard to get the impression from that alone (assuming its a first experience deal) that you eould require boosters for the parkour to work.

• Thumbs Up 3

IIRC, the second tree you come across doesn't have a booster, though. You need to run up it on your own, and then you get a Red Ring.

EDIT: I mean, you're right that it's not exactly an ideal way to teach the player, but I don't think that first booster will stop players from experimenting with the parkour.

It is one of the more pointless ones, though. I'd remove it, if only I had the power ;_;

Edited by ElementofChaos

As shown in this video in a help box, the 3DS exclusive blade of air attack is simply called the "somersault". (Pause at about 1:33 to see)

Edited by @ut0
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know this is really late but...

DESSERT RUINS, PPL. DO YOU GET IT YET? GUH.

Thank you. Just proceed.

I know this is really late but...

DESSERT RUINS, PPL. DO YOU GET IT YET? GUH.

Thank you. Just proceed.

Except:

A- The candy level has nothing to do with ruins

B- There's an actual desert ruins level

C- Honeycomb?

There's not a pun in desert and dessert.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Team just need to do the away with boosters entirely. If the level design looks like it might need them to guide the player, then change it. Lost World is so far teaming with boosters in a way that's no better than S4. Most of the main path in Windy Hill is entirely boosters and springs putting the game into auto-play.

Exactly. The Parkour and Speed Control system works already and Sonic can actually turn without the need to drift now, there is NO need for so much automation. Sure automation has always been a part of Sonic since his inception but bloody hell, there's so much booster spam in Windy Hill and it really detracts from the level design and kind of defeats the point of having all these systems in the first place.

HOPEFULLY this is just 'first level syndrome' and the later levels are more intricate and less automated.

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I noticed that there's a countdown timer in seconds, rather than a stopwatch timer in hundredths of a second.

I really hope that's just a demo/temporary thing. A countdown timer just doesn't feel like it fits a series like Sonic very well at all, especially if it's not even precise to a single decimal place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, the countdown time just screams Mario and not Sonic, limits exploration and really isn't fitting of a Sonic game. I hope it's temporary too but since we're seeing it in every shown footage of the game it might be permanent......

I too hope the timer doesn't stay. The only way I can see it being there was too stop people from taking too long on the demo. Plus, it would limit the time allowed for exploration, which is the main concern I have.

Edited by TheCakeMiester

The 3DS version doesn't have it, so I see no reason why the WiiU version should keep it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Except:

A- The candy level has nothing to do with ruins

B- There's an actual desert ruins level

C- Honeycomb?

There's not a pun in desert and dessert.

Like I said dozens of pages back, I think the pun is on the phrase "he got his just deserts" which is spelled like desert but pronounced like dessert. So you got the candy/dessert level, an actual desert level and the honeycomb level is also a play since honeycombs can be decorative desserts and can actually be eaten.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like I said dozens of pages back, I think the pun is on the phrase "he got his just deserts" which is spelled like desert but pronounced like dessert. So you got the candy/dessert level, an actual desert level and the honeycomb level is also a play since honeycombs can be decorative desserts and can actually be eaten.

I think that's massively over thinking it when we're talking Sonic Team and the series' history. There's really no pun in there.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm pretty sure it's "just desserts" and not "just deserts".

EDIT:

Not to stray too off-topic, but El Driver is right. It's a common misconception based on pronunciation. 

Friggin' English language.

EDIT 2: Apparently, both words originate from Latin. Now I'm just confused.

Edited by Dizcrybe

I'm pretty sure it's "just desserts" and not "just deserts".

Not to stray too off-topic, but El Driver is right. It's a common misconception based on pronunciation. 

Idk Blue Blood, but my naïve heart would like to think that someone in Sonic Team was clever enough to come up with that.

I like to think that somewhere in the barren deserts of Egypt, there is a giant cave filled with donuts and rock candy.

......Hmmmm.... seems legit....