Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

I imagine Desert Ruins Zone 1 will involve a ruin in a desert, because absolutely nothing we know yet has suggested it won't be, especially since the 3DS version has one. If not, I'll eat my own shoes.

That being said, I really like the idea of some zones being unique in terms of tropes. I do wonder if there's a logical progression, though; will we get cutscenes that explain how Sonic gets from a surreal candy zone to a robot bee hive, or is it as simple as "every hexagon of Lost Hex is really different"?

I willing to believe that one of the Deadly Six ate sonic so that's why we have a candy theme level 

Doesn't make any sense either.. Why give a bunch of levels a trope and then not follow it at all?

Meh, I don't see the harm at all. It's not really any different to what Mario games do where there's a random ice level in the middle of the desert. I get that it's a bit weird, but I don't get why it's really a problem. One main theme for a world, and a variety of side-stages that add a little flavour to the mix. 

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I willing to believe that one of the Deadly Six ate sonic so that's why we have a candy theme level

See, now I'm going to be disappointed when this doesn't happen!

Meh, I don't see the harm at all. It's not really any different to what Mario games do where there's a random ice level in the middle of the desert. I get that it's a bit weird, but I don't get why it's really a problem. One main theme for a world, and a variety of side-stages that add a little flavour to the mix. 

According to that description though, it actually sits in part of the ice world, even if it is defined as being part of the desert (although I don't know why if the ice world is right there, unless it shares elements from both). It just seems a bit too random in the case of Desert Ruins but maybe it will make more sense when it's all together in the finished product.

Edited by Pawn

According to that description though, it actually sits in part of the ice world, even if it is defined as being part of the desert (although I don't know why if the ice world is right there, unless it shares elements from both). It just seems a bit too random in the case of Desert Ruins but maybe it will make more sense when it's all together in the finished product.

Super Mario World had some instance of this occurring as well. A secret level was part of one world but was located in a different world. Such as an ice level that is in Neon Valley ( Bowser's lair) but was only accessible through a pipe in the second world. 

If Lost Hex is established as having this kind of oddity happening, like strange levels popping up here and there in portals in different areas, then fine. Or perhaps there's an area adjoining Desert Ruins that focuses more on sweet-related levels? It's odd that there isn't some relation between the name and the level though, when there could be something.

If Lost Hex is established as having this kind of oddity happening, like strange levels popping up here and there in portals in different areas, then fine. Or perhaps there's an area adjoining Desert Ruins that focuses more on sweet-related levels? It's odd that there isn't some relation between the name and the level though, when there could be something.

Again going back to my example the level is an ice level and the world it belongs to is Donut Plains

Again going back to my example the level is an ice level and the world it belongs to is Donut Plains

Maybe it's standard fare in Mario, I don't know, but that doesn't make me feel any different about this.

Edited by Pawn

Doesn't mean it's OK to have that nonsensial thing. If you give a zone the name Green Hill, all levels are supposed to look like different variations of Green Hill zone. There should not be any Ice cap levels with Green Hill name unless it's Green Hill with snow.

Doesn't mean it's OK to have that nonsensial thing. If you give a zone the name Green Hill, all levels are supposed to look like different variations of Green Hill zone. There should not be any Ice cap levels with Green Hill name unless it's Green Hill with snow.

I'm reminded of Dusty Desert and White Acropolis sitting randomly in the middle of Soleanna.

Edited by Blue Blood

I'm reminded of Dusty Desert and White Acropolis sitting randomly in the middle of Soleanna.

But weren't those only accessed by Warp Points? It's not like you crossed a Venician bridge and then suddenly desert everywhere.

But weren't those only accessed by Warp Points? It's not like you crossed a Venician bridge and then suddenly desert everywhere.

I suppose, but it was still weird. At any rate I just don't think that what Lost World is doing is a problem. Could it be handled a bit better? Sure. Does it really matter much? Nope.

Oh, I'm not saying it's a problem, because that implies it demands fixing. But I think it does get weird when you do start actually establishing a sense of place or a theme, and then breaking it for no discernible reason. A desert by Venice is really weird. A desert accessed by a warp point in Venice is not. I think it'll depend on the overall context of where these stages are and how they're accessed, but even I'm still scratching my head as to why there's a beehive in huge floating trees, all of which is in a...desert??? xP

• Thumbs Up 1

They probably might find a way to fit the Candy level within the Desert Ruins. I mean, it's not like there just going to say fuck it, and right next to this desert is this cavity creating wonderland....

They probably might find a way to fit the Candy level within the Desert Ruins. I mean, it's not like there just going to say fuck it, and right next to this desert is this cavity creating wonderland....

You underestimate the Sonicteam and Dark Lord Iizuka.

It's a little weird but I honestly don't care if they put in random settings under arbitrary zone names. I think it is pretty obvious that the game doesn't actually give the slightest shit about making a geographically coherent world, so what does it matter? Go full Mario and put in anything that's interesting.

Yaaay :)

Mario is fun fun fun super! Mario jump well and fall up happy :)

Sonic should be happy and bounce like Mario! It really the important!!

Yaaay smile.png

Mario is fun fun fun super! Mario jump well and fall up happy smile.png

Lolwut....

It's a little weird but I honestly don't care if they put in random settings under arbitrary zone names. I think it is pretty obvious that the game doesn't actually give the slightest shit about making a geographically coherent world, so what does it matter? Go full Mario and put in anything that's interesting.

I wouldn't really care either.

But I wouldn't mind if they did find a way to piece everything together, in a way that would somewhat make sense.

Edited by Ben Tennyson
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the names are just placeholders though that wouldn't be very likely so I am just assuming that they are going the Super Mario 3d land approach.

Yaaay smile.png

Mario is fun fun fun super! Mario jump well and fall up happy smile.png

Quote of the month right here.

Am I the only one who wants a colorful music themed level like in Sonic Advance 3?

You mean Music Plant from Sonic Advance 2. Sonic Advance 3 had Toy Kingdom. And no, I would love for another Music themed level in the series. Music Plant was probably my favorite zone in Advance 2!

Sure, if it's done better than the candy level, I'd love to see something like that again.

Yeah, they should really make level-specific objects that would fulfill the same role and be more pleasing to look at alongside the rest of the level. It's not quite as big an issue as where a lot of the boosters are placed (seriously, some of them are really silly, haha), but it would be a nice detail at least.

At least the mach speed zones don't have 'em! ... yet.

The candy zone had 3 boosters right beside each other. 

Windy Hill has one before the tree. You don't need to force the tree parkour thing.

Seriously, in a parkour related game with a run trigger. THERE IS NO NEED FOR BOOSTERS.

• Thumbs Up 7