Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Dat Homing Attack range.

Also, feeling a liiiittle bit better about how the Wisps are gonna be used, but not a whole lot better. Color me cautiously optimistic.

Sigh, I really wish they would release a public demo that would be awesome! proably a couplke weeks to a month before launch to get us all hyped up, now that would be way past cool

Dat Homing Attack range.

Also, feeling a liiiittle bit better about how the Wisps are gonna be used, but not a whole lot better. Color me cautiously optimistic.

Is it just me, or is someone trying to be punny?

Is it just me, or is someone trying to be punny?

It's just you.

I know it's wrong of me to say this, since it's a whole new play style being presented to us, but forget the game and just give me that soundtrack. It's awesome.

[On second thoughts, give me the demo so I can listen to the soundtrack and play the game at the same time!]

Soundtrack is fantastic so far.

Windy Hill looks so fucking clunky to play. I really don't like how the camera functions, either in normal motion, or with the homing attack. 

... Or you could just play the game.

I know it's wrong of me to say this, since it's a whole new play style being presented to us, but forget the game and just give me that soundtrack. It's awesome.   [On second thoughts, give me the demo so I can listen to the soundtrack and play the game at the same time!]
  • Thumbs Up 1

Last one (the one Woun put up) is up:

Oh god that music is orgasmic.

• Thumbs Up 1

... Or you could just play the game.

I'm on about right now. How can I play the game right now?

Last one (the one Woun put up) is up:

In Sonic '06 I hated the forced running segments, but here they are far more logical as Sonic is running downwards so of course he can't stop. Hope that if this play style appears in a later stage, which I am sure it will, that they are consistant with Sonic running downwards. Actually, reminds me of Speed Highway's Going Down segment expanded to an act.

In this game, the auto-run segments seem much more bearable. It seems fairly different from Sonic 06's segments, since they always placed random obstacles in your path. There was little thought put into level design in that game. Here, the running path is very narrow, and when you switch to a different side of the hexagonal path, it's closer to a quick-step than a clumsy steer. You can also defend yourself this time with that rapid homing-attack, so I think this'll be a much better experience.

• Thumbs Up 2

The way the camera abruptly tilts is pretty jarring. I hope that improves because it's difficult to look at as it is. Nice looking level though.

Also, I've read Iizuka's explanation, but making this and the food level a part of the Desert Ruins is barmy as hell. If they aren't confident that they can make a desert trope appealing enough (which they could by combining it with something else), then why bother with it?

Edited by Pawn

The way the camera abruptly tilts is pretty jarring. I hope that improves because it's difficult to look at as it is. Nice looking level though.

Also, I've read Iizuka's explanation, but making this and the food level a part of the Desert Ruins is barmy as hell. If they aren't confident that they can make a desert trope appealing enough (which they could by combining it with something else), then why bother with it?

It's not that they can't make a desert trope appealing, it's that they want the levels to look and feel unique. Each world will have one over-arching theme and then some odd balls thrown into the mix to keep things interesting. The individial levels are called Zones instead of acts, because Zones are known to be the various different worlds in the games. The problem is really only in the naming. Instead of being "Desert Ruins: Zone 2", they should have gone with either "Desert Ruins: A Candy Dream" (ala Sonic 4) or "Candy Zone: Desert Ruins". 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sigh, I really wish they would release a public demo that would be awesome! proably a couplke weeks to a month before launch to get us all hyped up, now that would be way past cool

I hope we get a demo too. Perhaps over the summer holidays to help me wait until the release.

• Thumbs Up 1

Instead of being "Desert Ruins: Zone 2", they should have gone with either "Desert Ruins: A Candy Dream" (ala Sonic 4) or "Candy Zone: Desert Ruins". 

Doesn't make any sense either.. Why give a bunch of levels a trope and then not follow it at all?

They're probably just touching up some things before a demo release. I hope Dimps remove the gates that obstruct the bottom of Windy Hill's tube sections and put some structure under it.

Doesn't make any sense either.. Why give a bunch of levels a trope and then not follow it at all?

Well the 3DS version has an actual desert ruins. I kind of want the other zone to go like this. Desert Ruins - Egyptian theme, Desert Ruins- Western Cowboy desert. Desert Ruins - Grand Canyon theme. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This zone ain't big enough for the seven of us.

In all seriousness, Sega and Nintendo need to embrace level themes like this. I mean Egyptian style deserts are fun but let have a western desert for once. 

I imagine Desert Ruins Zone 1 will involve a ruin in a desert, because absolutely nothing we know yet has suggested it won't be, especially since the 3DS version has one. If not, I'll eat my own shoes.

That being said, I really like the idea of some zones being unique in terms of tropes. I do wonder if there's a logical progression, though; will we get cutscenes that explain how Sonic gets from a surreal candy zone to a robot bee hive, or is it as simple as "every hexagon of Lost Hex is really different"?

Edit: err, I mean, getting from the bee hive to the candy zone, since they're actually Zone 2 and 3, respectively. XP You all know what I meant!

Edited by ElementofChaos

It'd be nice if some of the other acts bridged the various themes a bit. Like, you get a couple of actual desert ruins levels and a candy level, but also a desert level with some candy in it? And then maybe another desert level with some of those tall trees from the honeycomb level in it to bridge those together.

I have a feeling the world map is going to give a lot more context to the way the level themes work. Not that it bothers me much anyway, but it's clear that they've got something up their sleeves with how Lost Hex is put together.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 1