Awoo.

Sega 2013 "We release awesome games and tell nobody!"; " READ POST 498

Badnik Mechanic

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-720/List_of_Xbox_720_Games

IGN has placed a "next-gen Sonic title" in a list of possible 720 software.

It should be noted that their reasoning behind this is an interview with Takashi from over a year ago rather than any kind of inside sources.

Awww, you derailed the hype train before it could even leave the station. :P

Very interesting regardless. Though they're just confirming the inevitable.

Looking at the reasoning is really neat. They have no intention of ever making Sonic look hyperrealistic, but instead wish to make the environments look more and more grand. As the years have gone by they've made Sonic more visibly furry than before, my question is how realistic can you make the background environment before the cartoony character clashes somewhat?

A New Sonic show would be perfect this year. It's been 10 years since Sonic X first aired. This would be a gret year to bring something new to the table.

A New Sonic show would be perfect this year. It's been 10 years since Sonic X first aired. This would be a gret year to bring something new to the table.

It would be nice, but unfortunately we've got no real evidence in support of it barring stretching that one comment really far and that SEGA introduced Sonic X to try and promote Heroes. Never mind it's been 10 years since the last cartoon.

However, this is specifically why I always check the Stadium each day to see if any juicy updates have been had.

Thus far though, we really have nothing. This year's seen a lot of hype because it's assumed the upcoming projects are special, but it could really just be they've become tighter with information.

It's definitely going to be May then, it has to be. Maybe after revealing Microsoft's newest console they will release a teaser trailer and some images. Or they will simply wait until E3!

As much as i want new sonic game, I really don't want them to release new title this year, i wish that  they will take some extra time to polished it. Sonic Generation was released in  november 2011, its been just a 1 year and 4 month since (almost 5), in november 2013 it will be 2 years, i think for a big main game is not enough, 3 years will be good. Especially if the game may be targeted for next-gen systems. They just cant screw everything up again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awww, you derailed the hype train before it could even leave the station. tongue.png

Very interesting regardless. Though they're just confirming the inevitable.

Looking at the reasoning is really neat. They have no intention of ever making Sonic look hyperrealistic, but instead wish to make the environments look more and more grand. As the years have gone by they've made Sonic more visibly furry than before, my question is how realistic can you make the background environment before the cartoony character clashes somewhat?

sonic-the-hedgehog-20061006112742958_640

Should stop somewhere before this.

I'm sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as i want new sonic game, I really don't want them to release new title this year, i wish that  they will take some extra time to polished it. Sonic Generation was released in  november 2011, its been just a 1 year and 4 month since (almost 5), in november 2013 it will be 2 years, i think for a big main game is not enough, 3 years will be good. Especially if the game may be targeted for next-gen systems. They just cant screw everything up again.

The thing is, this game will have been in development at some stage before Generations was out of the door. I think a two to three year gap between main titles is about right in general, and this time it should be two years. SEGA needs to get Sonic out there on the next-gen platforms sooner rather than later, in the same way that ASRT wound up being a (very successful) Wii U launch title. After that they can wait another two to three years so long as they keep the fans satisfied in the meantime. 

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 6

Especially if the game may be targeted for next-gen systems. They just cant screw everything up again.

The next-gen consoles are basically mid-end PC's...it's not gonna be new technology they're not used to developing for like the 360 and especially the PS3 was back in the day, also I'm pretty sure that the new Sonic game was in development during Generations' final stages of development, so time shouldn't be an issue. Thirdly, the new Sonic game will most likely not have as many playstyles as Sonic 06 did...so development time will be put to good use.

The chance of Sonic Team pulling a 06 again is zero (seriously, they would have to TRY their hardest to make a game worse than 06)...if it does happen, then Sonic is pretty much dead...but it won't happen.

Edited by KrazyBean

The next-gen consoles are basically mid-end PC's...it's not gonna be new technology they're not used to developing for like the 360 and especially the PS3 was.

Well, that truth, i always forget about this for some reason. =/

I'm sorry.

Don't be. You're entirely correct. If the environment becomes too realistic Sonic's going to clash with it. But if they make Sonic too realistic than he looks freaking weird.

It's a delicate balance, certainly.

The thing is, this game will have been in development at some stage before Generations was out of the door. I think a two to three year gap between main titles is about right in general, and this time it should be two years.

Exactly. I've heard the "Sonic sucks because he releases a new game each year" comment too many times, and it illustrates a lack of understanding of how games work. They don't magically work on the next one as soon as one's released. They obviously have the development times staggered, similar to elections in the United States Senate; Senators are up for election two years, but they serve six years, meaning only part of the Senate's up for election. Similarly, in terms of game development, when one game is finished, another should be partially done.

You can most certainly have a good game every year; you would just need to provide for there to be say, three or four years from start to finish. The main problem here would be the startup cost involved since you'd need to release short titles at first so as to prepare the system for rotation. But once that bump is overcome it's very doable to churn out a game each year without harming quality.

Overall, it's a myth that release dates are an indicator of how much work has gone into a game.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I think SEGA should stick with the very cartony style and take real advantages from the next-gen RAM power to make the games run smooth as fuck even when Sonic is blasting through at sonic speed.

House of the Dead: The lost Rheels is out now on IOS and Android.

Here is the trailer...

Just as soon as Sega takes off the private settings.

8678807007_31c0b90b68.jpg

Zombie stripper.. because strippers can be zombies too.

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/04/25/house-of-the-dead-overkill-the-lost-reels-arrives-on-ios-and-android/#comment-91718

• Thumbs Up 2

I think SEGA should stick with the very cartony style and take real advantages from the next-gen RAM power to make the games run smooth as fuck even when Sonic is blasting through at sonic speed.

What I expect is, better lighting, better particle effects, better shading, more polygons, higher-res textures, native 1080p resolution, slightly improved Anti-aliasing and perhaps some anisotropic filtering if we're lucky. What I hope for is 60fps. I wouldn't mind visuals dialed down in order to achieve this, but 60fps is paramount for a platformer.

EDIT:

Art style only really needs refinement. I love the way everything looks now. And its not like the art style can't facilitate darker themes too, as evidenced by the stunning-looking Crisis City in Generations, which managed to visually surpass a game with a "darker" art-style, whilst still having magnificent atmosphere.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 6

Zombie strippers. Well, I think I've just about seen everything. Good to see SEGA's keeping Dead Island from monopolising the undead bikini babes industry.

What I expect is, better lighting, better particle effects, better shading, more polygons, higher-res textures, native 1080p resolution, slightly improved Anti-aliasing and perhaps some anisotropic filtering if we're lucky. What I hope for is 60fps. I wouldn't mind visuals dialed down in order to achieve this, but 60fps is paramount for a platformer.

So much this, especially when it's a fast platformer like Sonic. I've been saying for a while that I'd like to see Sonic games take of a more stylised look, which might not be so technologically impressive but would allow the games to run at 60fps. And being stylised in certain ways (e.g. cell shading, something Sonic Team should totally look into) can subjectively make things more interesting to look, potentially even easier to create assets for.

Unleashed did realism for Sonic right, and Generations showed how fantasy worlds can look just as good created in the same way. But I think that Sonic Team would excel if they went for something simpler.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yep, better effects, smoother visuals, but keep the colorfull cartoony style ;)

Oh wow, zombie strippers? I wonder if the game has zombie hookers too.. then eating will be other way around.. he. he not funny man

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt the next-gen consoles will be the main focus in the next Sonic game. The current-gen consoles are still very much alive and have a much larger audience. This one'll still be mainly a current gen game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt the next-gen consoles will be the main focus in the next Sonic game. The current-gen consoles are still very much alive and have a much larger audience. This one'll still be mainly a current gen game.

This is what I'm thinking too. If the game comes out on 720 and PS4, then it'll be in addition to 360 and PS3. And Wii U of course, but that's sort of an inbetweeny grey area in terms of what you want to class it as.

Is this a non-Sonic SEGA plans thread or an all-SEGA plans thread or an all-Sonic plans thread?

Is this a non-Sonic SEGA plans thread or an all-SEGA plans thread or an all-Sonic plans thread?

SEGA, but it's obviously going to swing one way in particular.

SEGA, but it's obviously going to swing one way in particular.

Which is why this topic may as well be called 'Sonic 2013 plans'. It would be a good idea to have a separate topic for SEGA 2013 (non-Sonic) plans.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

sonic-the-hedgehog-20061006112742958_640

I'm sorry.

That's bull. On this particular screenshot from that CG video the environment is perfectly fine. What the hell is wrong with it? Jungle joyride looks close to being as realistic as on this screenshot. You may argue about other things (Sonic's model, Elise, though not with me), but the environment is beautiful and perfectly fine.

• Thumbs Up 4

We don't even have  much news on SEGA 2013, let alone Sonic 2013. Why make two topics out of nothing?

Keep it like it is, if we get big news it'll get it's own topic to have it discussed.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's bull. On this particular screenshot from that CG video the environment is perfectly fine. What the hell is wrong with it? Jungle joyride looks close to being as realistic as on this screenshot. You may argue about other things (Sonic's model, Elise, though not with me), but the environment is beautiful and perfectly fine.

Sonic is in it...

I think he was complaining that Sonic clashes really, really badly with it since it's all very beautifully detailed and he's... a blue blob.

Which is why this topic may as well be called 'Sonic 2013 plans'. It would be a good idea to have a separate topic for SEGA 2013 (non-Sonic) plans.

A good idea once we get some more information, definitely.

Definitely. A major part of the Wii U's sales failure, I think, has been its lack of exclusives to attract purchases, coupled with the fact you can get a PS3 or 360 for half the price. Remember how they were still making PS2 games long after the PS3 came out? We're going to see that even more harshly with this next generation, I think... so while this game could make it to 720/PS4, I'm betting it'll be on the PS3 and 360 as well. PS3 and 360 just are going to be very advantageous for those with a budget for a loooong time.

And with how gorgeous the 360 and PS3's graphics capabilities are, I don't think there's gonna be as much disparity as say, versus the PS2 and PS3.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1