Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

>Topic's question asks who liked '06.

>People answer the topic's question and say that they liked it.

>Get crucified anyway just for answering the topic's question.

Ninjad.

I mean, I didn't love the game either (after actually playing it,) but yeah, sure is hostile in here.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 3

Where's the middle ground here?

06 Amuses me, hell. I like 06. I had fun with it.

But I still think it's a shit game as it is.

And when I see all the things in the game that could have been, it makes me kind of sad SEGA didn't stick to their guns and delay the shit out of it to make a really great game. Oh well.

I'll say the music was good, and Crisis City and Kingdom Valley were fun stages overall, but I still think the game is crap.

• Thumbs Up 1

(Hopefully) Getting back on topic with what this thread is about

No, I personally did not enjoy Sonic 2006 at all. I found myself dragging through the game forcefully as was just trying to reach the ending so I wouldn't have to play any of it anymore. I didn't like the controls, the story, the writing, or pretty much anything else to do with this game besides the music. The music was good. I didn't really have fun playing through it, which was a shame because I was actually looking forward to trying it out, but..ah well, I suppose you can't expect to enjoy them all.

Different people like different games. I hate when people pull the "standards" card when the entire reason video games exist is for people to have fun with them, and the perception of "fun" between people differs from time to time.
That there is no 100% complete objective standard for good games does not mean that there are no standards, or that one person's opinion of one game is just as valid as any other person's opinion of any other game.

This is NOT a thread about discussing wether or not Sonic '06 is a good game. It is about wether or not you HAD FUN with it. Hence "loved".
They are not unrelated questions.

Dear lord, why was this topic brought up again?!

Whatever. I still enjoy 2006 from time to time. That said, now that I have best HD Sonic game, Generations, I don't think I'll go back to it as often as I used to in the past.

I still think 2006 had great level layouts, mostly fun to play as characters, an interesting storyline, and amazing music. However I'm never going to say that the good parts make up for the fact that the game is fundamentally broken in many undeniable ways.

And with that, I leave the topic.

Fun ≠ Good. On a similar note, everyone who disagrees with Haruhi isn't automatically a retrofag who is busy dickriding S3&K; which is probably why everyone gets pissy with her whenever these discussions start.

I never said that anyone who disagreed WAS that. I was just upset that everytime I give an explanation as to why I enjoy this game; someone has pull out the standard card.

I never said that anyone who disagreed WAS that.

Yeah; not every Sonic fan hates Sonic 06 and praises the hell out of Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Explain to me what that post was supposed to mean, then.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never said that anyone who disagreed WAS that. I was just upset that everytime I give an explanation as to why I enjoy this game; someone has pull out the standard card.
Not sure why you'd get upset over people bringing up a very relevant point.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Explain to me what that post was supposed to mean, then.

I thought they were upset because I liked a game they didn't like. Buut I am known for overreacting so yea,

Okay first, there is no scenario where the word "objectively" can be followed by any judgement, no matter how popular an opinion is- to me, the notion is reprehensable and is the root of most of the world's problems; the only reason Sonic 06 is a bad game is because a substantially large proportion of subjective viewpoints exist to make the judgement. Secondly, there's no such thing as a "valid" or "invalid" opinion- that doesn't even make sense. An opinion may be formed based on invalid information or a substantially narrow mindset, but that doesn't change the fact that the opinion is out there. If objectivity is allowed to filter people's standards, everything on Metacritic would have an extremely narrow window of scores, because everyone who doesn't say a bad game is bad, an average game is average or a good game is good will be ignored by the system.

Me? I think Sonic 06 is the Twilight of video games, but if someone else says it's their Citizen Kane, I'm not obliged to ruin their day just to make them understand that there are much better alternatives. The quality of art isn't about what it provides, but what those who experience it seek going into it. And as far as I'm concerned, having high or low standards is irrelevant. If the only music I ever listened to was Queen and Beethoven, that gives me two standards, the same amount as someone who only listens to Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black, but I think we know which one would get more approval in a music forum. I'm sure there are many people who like 06 who have played many other games, but if they choose that outside of all others as their favorite, or even above the 50% line, there are fair reasons for that. And games are even more difficult than music to get similar perspectives on, as the element of interactivity allows people to experience the same product in different ways. And sometimes, one man's "flaw" can be another's "virtue." Some people hate Metal Gear Solid for its story, some wouldn't like it without it. Some people hate Pikmin 1's time limit, I like the tension it adds. I can't see there being much of another side arguing that Sonic 06 has good physics, but if there's something unironically positive someone else takes away from the story, I can't help that.

Tornado, Diogenes- you're smart and I love you guys, but what the hell are you doing? You've made it abundantly clear that you dislike this game, and you are perfectly entitled to have and vehemetly express that opinion as much as I am, but do you intend to stick around until you've convinced everyone in this thread that it's not worth liking it? Are you afraid that people liking this game will make it so that Sega believes people want more like it? Because first, I think the reviews and abundant preference for any other game in the franchise have convinced them enough that it would not be in their best interests. And second, what if it was? None of us OWN this franchise. No single sect, site or fan determines what the best direction for this series should be. If the niche was big enough that Sega greenlights Sonic: Guns, Yiffing and Cutscenes and profits IMMENSLY from it, that would be my sacrifice for being a part of a fanbase this diverse in interest.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 5

Wow the people that love this game. (expecally ones who say its the..last greatest game?) must be one... REALLY love all forgiving the blue blur or just really is a bad gamer that you don't see the uncontrollable controls. cameras ect. The only thing really good about it was the intro and music. BUT that isn't the game... gameplay makes mostly the game, and its sad to see the worst game in the series getting love.... erg.

Wow the people that love this game. (expecally ones who say its the..last greatest game?) must be one... REALLY love all forgiving the blue blur or just really is a bad gamer that you don't see the uncontrollable controls. cameras ect. The only thing really good about it was the intro and music. BUT that isn't the game... gameplay makes mostly the game, and its sad to see the worst game in the series getting love.... erg.

Well, while it makes sense, not only gameplay makes a game. Everything makes a game: gameplay, story, music, VA and other stuff. And I do think the story is very good. Overdramatic sometimes? Yes. There are plotholes? Indeed. Hell, in what game with the time travel theme there are no plotholes huh? Anyway now I see a lot of people can't press on it anymore since they love Generations story so much [there are some people who really do] and generations story is just one giant filler nonsense and joke of a story.

Well, while it makes sense, not only gameplay makes a game. Everything makes a game: gameplay, story, music, VA and other stuff. And I do think the story is very good. Overdramatic sometimes? Yes. There are plotholes? Indeed. Hell, in what game with the time travel theme there are no plotholes huh? Anyway now I see a lot of people can't press on it anymore since they love Generations story so much [there are some people who really do] and generations story is just one giant filler nonsense and joke of a story.

Generations was simple, just like a Mario game. Its hard to trash on a storyline thats simple... but were talking about a game Sega tried very hard to make right. 06's storyline...sadly to me was very weird. The voice acting made me want to shoot my brains out. But like I said, the gameplay killed it for me. Why move on to a half ass storyline if I struggle beating a game cause the camera either makes me die ot glitches otherwise.

was it really neccesary to bring up your hatred of SG's storyline there?
Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess it's possible for some people to like 06.

After all, some people like eating shit, so...

• Thumbs Up 4

Seeing as how this has been bumped I'll repeat what I said before. The story as a whole makes no sense since Mephiles could have just fused with the Iblis in Silver's timeline. I still can't believe that the writers never notice this.

Compaired to Shadow and Silver's storylines, Sonics is pretty boring. And Dr. Robotnik's plan to use Iblis to control time is a very underdeveloped storyline. Plus Iblis can't control time that's Mephiles power.

I love Shadow's storyline, and I think Mephiles is a great villain.

Silver's storyline is ok, but I hate how it fucks up Blaze's story, and Iblis is a boring villain.

And then there's Elise. Her story is a mess. Plus she grows up and has never cried. That's not normal for a person. I'm surprise that she hasn't insane from holding her emotions in all this time.