Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

How does a game with serious flaws, not bother you?

The animal/ deceased kiss didn't bother anyone at all?

... Nevermind.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

... Nevermind.

Please, open up your mind and realize that not everyone is like you.

As for the kiss, it didn't bother me a bit. In fact, I actually found Sonic and Elise's fundamentally doomed romance a bit touching. It's all portrayed very innocently in the game, after all.

If Roger Rabbit and Jessica Rabbit can play pattycake until their palms are red, then I don't see the problem with inter-species romance in the Sonic universe. Just don't make me think too hard about it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

If Roger Rabbit and Jessica Rabbit can play pattycake until their palms are red, then I don't see the problem with inter-species romance in the Sonic universe.

But that romance was a from a cartoony comedy that was not supposed to be taken seriously. It doesn't make sense to compare them.

But that romance was a from a cartoony comedy that was not supposed to be taken seriously. It doesn't make sense to compare them.

Look, there's no right or wrong in this matter. And you're not going to find a better comparison than that.

Also, think of it this way. Just as things are intended to be taken seriously, there is also intended to be a suspension of disbelief on the part of the viewer. And everyone has their own snapping point.

... Nevermind.

Were you responding to me, or everyone in general, or...? Either way I'll bite.

Easy. For me, I've beaten the game and have access to anything in the game. I don't have to deal with cutscenes, I can avoid levels I dislike, and for the most part in the few levels I enjoy playing those flaws aren't very prevalent. I know how to avoid those areas that cause everybody trouble and I can focus on enjoying what few enjoyable aspects there are to the game. While playing through the game for the first time though, it wasn't an easy task. It did bother me pretty badly.

As for the Elise kiss, I would have preferred a "POWER OF FRIENDSHIP MAGIC REVIVAL MOMENT!!!" over that. It would have been cheesy and childish, and everyone would have hated it, but still better then what we wound up getting. Can't change the past (well, ignoring that it was erased; we as players can't change that we did witness it), and it's been almost five years now. As much as I dislike it I've pretty much come to accept it.

Edited by Mykonos

Easy. For me, I've beaten the game and have access to anything in the game. I don't have to deal with cutscenes, I can avoid levels I dislike, and for the most part in the few levels I enjoy playing those flaws aren't very prevalent. I know how to avoid those areas that cause everybody trouble and I can focus on enjoying what few enjoyable aspects there are to the game. While playing through the game for the first time though, it wasn't an easy task.

This echoes my sentiments as well. For me, the best part of any Sonic game comes after I've beaten it for the first time, and I'm allowed to endlessly replay any level at my leisure, ad-infinum, until I eventually get bored. Sonic 2006 has continued to hold my attention since I got it so many years ago, while other arguably better made games such as Heroes and Unleashed, have not.

A note for everyone here who is confused or misinformed.

EVERYTHING is subjective. There is no such thing as an objective opinion when it comes to anything less solid than "the earth orbits the sun".

Ehm...no. No it's not. When glitches invade the gameplay, is that good? How bout when characters in a series built around speed run slowly? How bout cheap difficulty? 'Zat good? Not even being able to get off of wall as Knuckles or Rouge? Like it or not, a lot of 06's flaws are, to any thinking person, just that: flaws no matter how you look at it, and since they pervade the entire game, I think they would make the game count as objectively a bad game. Not objectively a bad experience, as one's enjoyment of a work and tolerance to its flaws is always subjective, but it's at best objectively severely flawed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with T-man.

All I have to say is; No, I do not "LOVE" this game.

It's almost impossible not to consider it bad.

As for the kissing part, I witnessed it, and cannot forever change, at least it won't happen in Generations.

Wait... this game never happened... So why the hell is there going to be an 06 level in Generations?

(Discussion thread on the Generations sub forums in a minute.)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I really like playing as the sonic, shadow, rouge, and blaze characters

The music was pretty good especially white acropolis!

I replay sometimes mostly because there isn't really a good SA style platformer on the 360

I can get over the other gameplay (except tails) since I only play trial mode and sonics episode just to get rings to buy all the gems.

shadow's vehicles are the shitiest part of the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Please, open up your mind and realize that not everyone is like you.

As for the kiss, it didn't bother me a bit. In fact, I actually found Sonic and Elise's fundamentally doomed romance a bit touching. It's all portrayed very innocently in the game, after all.

If Roger Rabbit and Jessica Rabbit can play pattycake until their palms are red, then I don't see the problem with inter-species romance in the Sonic universe. Just don't make me think too hard about it.

My sister think that the reaction to that kiss is an overreaction, she brings up how nobody flipped their **** when watching Beauty and the Beast.

Edited by Ananze
  • Thumbs Up 2

My sister think that the reaction to that kiss is an overreaction, she brings up how nobody flipped their **** when watching Beauty and the Beast.

Ya but we're talking about a "princess" who has carrots for legs IN GAME who kissed a dead hedgehog that's half her size who can't be turned back to a prince or a human while being surronded by other human like animals outside of time while probably A taxi driver Is floating in the purple vortex along with a bunny

Hell even in the love challenge for sonic if she picks elise he guard says "I won't comment on elise".

I wonder what the "true endings" for the characters were supposed to be...

Comparing the laughabley, almost parody-esque romance in Sonic 2006 to an extremely touching romantic story such as Beauty and the Beast is a farce. The entire concept behind Beauty and the Beast was that it was ridiculous that a beautiful woman could fall in love with an "ugly" beast, but that true beauty is found on the inside. Sonic '06 did not portray any sort of symbolism or meaning behind Sonic and Elise's bizarre tale of whatever it is Sonic Team were trying to convey, it was simply awkward and sloppily written.

• Thumbs Up 3

There are so many guys here that would be so quick to screw amy or rouge if ever given the opportunity, yet...the Sonic Elise thing still bothers them.

Sonic is PERSONIFIED.

That relationship doesn't bother me at all.

On another note, I think Id think it was a decent game if there was a Japanese voice track.

some of the English voices give me a headache so it makes the game really hard to get into.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was terrible, but whenever i play it it makes me sad lol. When you get that one, fun glitch-free playthrough of a level, it makes you think about how good it could have been. But yeah,it still sucked.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are so many guys here that would be so quick to screw amy or rouge if ever given the opportunity, yet...the Sonic Elise thing still bothers them.

Sonic is PERSONIFIED.

That relationship doesn't bother me at all.

On another note, I think Id think it was a decent game if there was a Japanese voice track.

some of the English voices give me a headache so it makes the game really hard to get into.

THIS have you seen how sonic talks in the demo version of the game? He actually has some slight personality! If he gets an item now all he says is "yeaus" over and over again. Sonic's japanese voice actors are way better then the 4kids cast.

The only things I liked about '06 are;

- The FMV cutscenes. That were so beautiful. Also, some aspects of them, such as Sonic tapping one Egg Gunner with his foot making it keel over backwards. What made that extra funny is the "PING!" sound effect. Just frikkin' ROFL.

- Silver. He's not a massively loved character but I thought he was a very interesting, loveable character.

- The soundtrack is just incredible. Of particular acclaim are the themes to Aquatic Base, Crisis City and Kingdom Valley. And who could ever forget Solaris Phase 2? Ah, let's just say that the whole OST was made of win.

Those are the only things I liked really :/ The rest of the game is...well....horrible.

Did I love Sonic 06?

Well, I haven't wished eternal torment on Sonic Team and all they hold dear yet. That's a kind of love.

• 5 months later...

I remember I pre-ordered '06 without owning a 360 or a PS3 at the time just to get the statue.

That's pretty much the best part of it. He was beheaded after a fall, but my wife fixed it. It's a good analogy that if ST had time to fix the game, it would not have gotten the hate it did.

Elise's kiss was not that big of a deal, because SEGA believed in the concept of "What if Sonic was human?" I think SEGA should re-visit this concept with a console RPG, not like Chronicles though.

'06 > Chronicles.

I don't love the game, but I respect what they were trying to do with it, and I see alot of potential that went to waste due to time constraints and Naka jumping ship mid-way.

Had it've been finished, I think it would've atleast been better than Shadow the Hedgehog as a whole, though that's not saying much depending on who you ask.

Edited by Inferno

I loved the game. I thought it was the best Sonic game I've played. It had interesting missions, a character I really liked and it had a killer soundtrack.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the game, but I won't be able to form an accurate opinion untill I actually purchase and play the game.

I loved the game. I thought it was the best Sonic game I've played. It had interesting missions, a character I really liked and it had a killer soundtrack.

You must not play a lot of games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like or dislike the game. Some parts I found to be somewhat enjoyable (Crisis City, Kingdom Valley, super speed sections, Shadow's story, music), and other parts I found to be uninteresting (Amigo characters, town missions). I still play it every now and then, but it's nothing that special to me. I did however, love it when I first got the game. After that...well, my liking for the game slowly turned into a neutral view of it.

Can't someone legitimately like Sonic 2006?

EDIT: Or regard it as their favorite game in the franchise?

Edited by thebluehedgehog

I didn't exactly love Sonic '06 but I do appreciate what it tried to do at the very least.

There were a lot of good and/or interesting ideas present here and the actual level design for the stages was good. They only became a chore to navigate because the core game engine wasn't ironed out.

A lot of content was planned for the final version of the game that would have definitely made it in providing the time was taken for it to be finished also. You can read about on Sonic CulT's Extracted Content page. It really puts into perspective how much unrealized potential this game had.

I don't know looking at that page always makes me looking at Sonic '06 a different way that most other people do. I almost sympathize with it, as nonsensical as that sounds.

Edited by Chooch

Here's a list of everything I've played including games I don't like:

Genesis:

Sonic 1

Sonic 2

Sonic 3

Sonic and Knuckles

Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Sonic Labyrinth

Sonic CD

Sonic Chaos

Sonic Blast

Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine

PS2:

Mortal Kombat

Grand Theft Auto 3

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic Heroes

Mortal Kombat 3

(FPS game I can't remember but it was a PS1 game)

(RPG game I can't remember but you fight monsters in a huge tower etc)

(Banidcoot was a PS1 game)

Xbox360:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

Sonic Generations

Sonic Free Riders

Sonic 4 E1

Ninja Gaiden 3

Demos that I've played and want to get full games of:

Call of Duty

Modern Warfare

Halo series

Bayonetta

Shinobi

Call of Duty 3

Other:

Pokemon Black/White

Pokemon Platinum

Grand Theft Auto SA (PC)

Sonic Adventure DX

I know it wasn't necessary to post all of that but... yeah. I HAVE played alot of games.