Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Okay, I did like some parts of the game.

- I really liked Sonic's red gem for slowing down time. Made it possible to actually dodge the machine gun fire, and made me feel like I was moving in bullet time, like I was seeing the world from the perspective of a speedster, which is an aspect I've always loved about characters like The Flash.

- I had a lot of fun beating up giant robots when I found out you can trash them as Sonic by using the bounce immediatelly after a homing attack.

- Sonic's last boss was really cool, and a great homage to Egg Viper.

- I liked that Shadow isn't angsty or gullible anymore. That his character development in his own game actually counted.

- I enjoyed Mephiles's over-the-top villainy, just as I found Black Doom to be the funniest character in the series.

- I honestly enjoyed Silver's gameplay style. Sadly the levels failed to compliment them very well.

- Psycho-shock followed by grabbing all enemies is just plain fun.

- I appreciate that they tried to do a Cannon's Core style final level, in spite of how cheap and frustrating it turned out.

- Final boss was cool. Music was freakin' awesome.

- I liked that Shadow isn't angsty or gullible anymore. That his character development in his own game actually counted.
Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 5

Well that does it then. Funny though...SSMB was supposed to be the "cool and friendly" Sonic message board. Guess that was just a big ball of bull. I look at the title of this topic...where the HELL does it say anything about whether 06 was good or bad? It asks simply who else ENJOYED it. ENJOYED, not their opinion on the game's ability to be good or bad. Yet we have several supposed "smart" members of the community, spending their free time trying to force their views down others' throats. What kind of "friendly" atmosphere is THAT? This post will probably get me banned but damnit I can't stomach my outrage any longer. Yes I'm a large fan of Sonic 2006. Did it do alot of things wrong? Yes that much is obvious to anyone who plays. Does that mean I'm not allowed to enjoy it? Hell no! As a paying gamer, I have every inaliable RIGHT to enjoy what games I wish, without having to cower to popular opinion. I understand 06 is hated by a large portion. Their opinion on why they dislike 06 is just as valid as my reasons for liking it. That does NOT give them the right to bully and strongarm others into believing their side of things. People come onto this board because SSMB claims it's a place for people of ALL kinds of opinions to enjoy talking about Sonic freely. To my horror I see that this is just a big fat lie. There's no freedom of expression and opinion, just the same self rightous feeling of entitlement I see everywhere else.

To those few who tried to be civil and let both sides have their say, I'm sorry about this rant, but I felt I needed to say what had to be said. The very idea of what some posters are attempting to do to others here is sickening, and because of that I don't believe I'll be visiting this message board any longer. If I wanted to be belittled and told what to think and do, I'd go off and become a slave. As long as I'm allowed the freedom to think and act as my own heart decides, I will continue to do so, and now fall to the mass structure. Good day and goodbye.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't see where that claim comes from. I thought she played like shit, in fact I think she was the worst playing character other than Knuckles and Rouge.

She played like a slightly slower Sonic, with a HA that could be more directly executed (and another move stupidly mapped to the same button). Definitely the only characters other that Shadow and Sonic that wasn't a nightmare to play as. Omega wasn't too bad I suppose, but far from ideal.

Yeah, that's what I hear most often, but when I played as her, that homing attack from the ground thing sent me flying off ledges I don't know how many times, but probably more that Sonic or Shadow.

I guess I must be the only one who wasn't really wowed by Sonic 06's music. Sure, it wasn't completely awful, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

Oh, except the Flash Man theme knockoff.

GOTTA GO FLASH

• Thumbs Up 1

Jez, you shouldn't bother explaining things to blockheads like that.

Let him scurry off and take his theatrics with him, we don't need anymore monologues.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, otherwise they never learn.

I guess I must be the only one who wasn't really wowed by Sonic 06's music. Sure, it wasn't completely awful, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

I dunno, I can understand, though at the same time it's been so many years. At the time it wowed me, sounds quite ordinary now.

I still love Aquatic Base (Act 1 in particular) and End Of The World (Act 6 and 7 in particular) though - I have a real music fetish for melancholy music for action stages, (breaks my heart that Lost Impact was such a naff level in ShTH), ESPECIALLY when it's a final stage we don't get it often enough.

He's still pretty angsty.

Like, a big part of his story is Mephiles telling him how much people are going to hate him because he's strange and powerful and Shadow spends the whole game glaring silently as they pretend this is some complex new development. edit: Also the whole "one of my only friends is going to betray me in the future!" thing.

That's just plain false. Shadow pretty much tells Mephiles to shove it, and he takes the revelation of Omega's betrayal without comment. When did the angst happen?

He has zero lines of dialogue reserved for moping, never second-guesses his ultimate goal, and rejects every one of Mephiles's claims immediatelly. That's a huge step up from Shadow in Shadow, who mopes constantly, second-guesses himself between every other mission, and immediatelly believes Black Doom with no reason.

• Thumbs Up 7

I love how people are getting upset because they think we're telling them they should hate 06 like we do, when we could careless if you liked it or not, and care more about when people go on about how "Its not that bad" or its "redeemable"

But getting back on topic:.....Um.....Fuck, I can't thing of anything that remotely caught my interest. uhh, I guess I liked Shadow's story and how it at least tried to do something different with him.

To all the peeps who dig this game (I haven't played it but will do soon) what positive elements do you think can be taken from it and incorporated into future games. Or even more interesting, are there any features (not stages) in '06 that if included in Generations would have made it a better game? I'm thinking more along the lines of level design and gameplay and not extras like story/playable/ characters/musoc etc. For example an easy comparison to make would be the original Crisis City for Sonic in 06 and the Generations (modern 3D stage) remake. While it was one of the better levels in Generations it was fairly short,linear and had an annoying 2D lava stomping section which seemed a shame because I really felt it had the potential to be one of the truly memorable levels in a Sonic game with its whole post apocalyptic fire and lava filled urban environment . If it was just a more polished version (glitches, control fixed) of the original would it have been better?

I wasn't really impressed either. There's a few good tracks, and I can't think of anything that's actively bad, but that just means it's unremarkable, not good.

That's just plain false.
I disagree. That they tried to make it a serious point at all is proof enough to me that they didn't want to let go of that bit of characterization. If they wanted to turn it around and show that Shadow has changed, they should've had him push back a lot harder. As it is, his responses (when he has any, and isn't merely switching between "glare" and "glare harder") are pretty clearly based on that angst still being there.

Is it as bad as in ShtH? No. But his story still relies on angst.

• Thumbs Up 1

To all the peeps who dig this game (I haven't played it but will do soon) what positive elements do you think can be taken from it and incorporated into future games. Or even more interesting, are there any features (not stages) in '06 that if included in Generations would have made it a better game? I'm thinking more along the lines of level design and gameplay and not extras like story/playable/ characters/musoc etc. For example an easy comparison to make would be the original Crisis City for Sonic in 06 and the Generations (modern 3D stage) remake. While it was one of the better levels in Generations it was fairly short,linear and had an annoying 2D lava stomping section which seemed a shame because I really felt it had the potential to be one of the truly memorable levels in a Sonic game with its whole post apocalyptic fire and lava filled urban environment . If it was just a more polished version (glitches, control fixed) of the original would it have been better?

Well some of the levels were pretty open/non-linear. I'd like to see more open levels but the Modern gameplay makes it sort of difficult to do that.

I'm not sure '06 did it any better than Generations, aside from not expecting you to be moving forward at 300 MPH most of the time.

That's not the issue.

'06 is objectively badly designed. There's no opinion in the matter; the game is what it is.

Whether or not you enjoy it is a different matter entirely. I'll be dead honest here: I love

to death. Despite it being clearly low budget and finicky to control, the game has a profound charm that gets me every time I look at it. However, I'm willing to admit its flaws; the controls aren't very good, the graphics are awful, the game's extremely short, difficulty can get extremely cheap, and so on.

This is where people take issue. It's fine that you like it. It really is. But to deny the game's obvious flaws is fanboyish and absolutely nonsensical.

I'm not saying that the game was perfect, it's far from it actually. I was saying that out of all the Sonic games I've played, this was the one I enjoyed the most, despite it's glaring flaws. I wrote something on everything I liked and disliked about the game:

The big par of Sonic 06 that I liked, which actually got me stumped on what rating to give the game, is Silver's part. Playing as Silver and seeing the world through his eyes was the best experience I have ever went through in a Sonic game. The gameplay was fun and original and he had his very own style with didn't take away from the blue dude's skills. You also had to rely on reflexes and logic to perfect his gameplay rather than the level design. It also had Amy, who's gameplay was cute and Blaze who's gameplay was yes boring but better than Sonic or Shadow's. And has her own spin on the homing attack. Nonetheless, I'd much rather play with Silver, Blaze and Amy (maybe Cream to even tho she wasn't in the game) than with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles or Shadow, Rouge and Omega.

Shadow's part is the worst. Like I don't really mind the vehicles, but these are the most out of control, slippery ones so far. Especially the motorcycles. And the fact that you are forced to ride them. At least ShTH made them fun and actually non-slippery and you only had to ride them in like 4 small parts. And besides from Mephiles, his story is boring and so was his gameplay. It was a reskin of Sonic but with chaos powers. And he was slow. Yes he was because with hover shoes, he could at least been faster but he was slower than Sonic who was already slow. Shadow the Hedgehog had at least verity to go with his gameplay. When we get to Rouge... she is one of the most rushed gameplays. Basically a model swap with Knuckles with Tails' attacks. And I thought bats can FLY not GLIDE. Omega was okay in the boss fight. Can't complain.

Sonic's story... well his story was very tedious. But better than Shadow's who is all about GUN and blah blah. His speed levels were horrendous and in his regular levels he was slow. He was faster in the town missions. Now I know I like Silver's gameplay and he's slow, but unlike Sonic or Shadow, Silver has every reason to be slow. They do not and there's no excuse as to why they are so slow, especially Sonic. Except for the slowness, his gameplay was alright... I've seen him do better in other games. Tails was the worst and the most rushed. His flight was slippery and his attacks were the most stupid. Dummy ring bomb. I hated that and I had to do with AIRBORNE while trying to get a door to open. Never mind that he was going at like .5 mph. Knuckles gameplay was good and his attacks were the same from Heroes with a little twist.

The last story was hard and it was way too serious for my taste and too emotional as well. The soloaris boss was easy and I finished the last attacks as Silver.

The music was awesome. There are some parts of the game that people were overexaggerating about. The loading times weren't that bad and every time a person said "hey" it didn't go right into a loading screen. And I dislike how they make these characters overpowered by having you buy these powers. Does Silver really need teleport dash? Hell no. He was doing fine with defeating the enemies with his established abilities. And Sonic with gems with crazy powers? Nope. And Shadow' s chaos inferno :-/

So do I like this game? Yes. Is it better than the classics? I don't play my classic collection anymore.. I only play my 3-D games since they are all more interesting. But I do rather play this game than the likes of Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic 3, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic 1, Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

If it was just all about Silver which it was originally going to be and his powers, saving Crisis City, keeping the legacy of Crisis City alive and keeping his dreams alive and Blaze by his side sharing equal respect and not being a sidekick but not overshadowing Silver and also keeping her princess title. And then another character from that same timeline (which they could have introduced Marine there). Replace Iblis with Eggman Nega (who could have be introduced) and this would have been the best game I've ever played.

Edited by Haruhi ハルヒ

Only the music and most of the graphics (especially the FMV cutscenes) are commendable. Everything else...not so much. =[

Well some of the levels were pretty open/non-linear. I'd like to see more open levels but the Modern gameplay makes it sort of difficult to do that.

Really? I think 2006's linearity was fairly close to Unleashed, just a lot less narrow in it's presentation. I mean areas like White Acropolis Act 2 and Tropical Jungle Act 2 were nice but they were still very small. White Acropolis was kind of that case where you were just searching for the route and once you knew it there's little point in meandering around. Tropical Jungle was the same but more of... there were two routes which contiously criss-crossed which sort of gives the impression there are more.

Edited by JezMM

Well that does it then. Funny though...SSMB was supposed to be the "cool and friendly" Sonic message board. Guess that was just a big ball of bull. I look at the title of this topic...where the HELL does it say anything about whether 06 was good or bad? It asks simply who else ENJOYED it. ENJOYED, not their opinion on the game's ability to be good or bad. Yet we have several supposed "smart" members of the community, spending their free time trying to force their views down others' throats. What kind of "friendly" atmosphere is THAT? This post will probably get me banned but damnit I can't stomach my outrage any longer. Yes I'm a large fan of Sonic 2006. Did it do alot of things wrong? Yes that much is obvious to anyone who plays. Does that mean I'm not allowed to enjoy it? Hell no! As a paying gamer, I have every inaliable RIGHT to enjoy what games I wish, without having to cower to popular opinion. I understand 06 is hated by a large portion. Their opinion on why they dislike 06 is just as valid as my reasons for liking it. That does NOT give them the right to bully and strongarm others into believing their side of things. People come onto this board because SSMB claims it's a place for people of ALL kinds of opinions to enjoy talking about Sonic freely. To my horror I see that this is just a big fat lie. There's no freedom of expression and opinion, just the same self rightous feeling of entitlement I see everywhere else.

To those few who tried to be civil and let both sides have their say, I'm sorry about this rant, but I felt I needed to say what had to be said. The very idea of what some posters are attempting to do to others here is sickening, and because of that I don't believe I'll be visiting this message board any longer. If I wanted to be belittled and told what to think and do, I'd go off and become a slave. As long as I'm allowed the freedom to think and act as my own heart decides, I will continue to do so, and now fall to the mass structure. Good day and goodbye.

I hate overreactions. Especially when set to recoloured Sonic X avatars. No one forced anyone to not like the game.

On-topic, I still want to know whose idea was it to include End of the World's Death Testicles. The way they'd spam the stage made it feel like a glitch... then again the rest of the game plays like a glitch anyways, but you get the idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

On-topic, I still want to know whose idea was it to include End of the World's Death Testicles. The way they'd spam the stage made it feel like a glitch... then again the rest of the game plays like a glitch anyways, but you get the idea.

I think they were thoughtfully placed, they only became cheap because what prior warning there is before they open (faint purple sparklies) was very hard to spot amongst all the chaos and lighting shifts. Most of my deaths involved being in the wrong place at the wrong time when they happened to open. You can actually walk pretty close to them and still escape.

(EDIT: Lol, "walk". My choice of words does say something about the average speed of the non-Sonic characters).

Edited by JezMM

I think they were thoughtfully placed, they only became cheap because what prior warning there is before they open (faint purple sparklies) was very hard to spot amongst all the chaos and lighting shifts. Most of my deaths involved being in the wrong place at the wrong time when they happened to open. You can actually walk pretty close to them and still escape.

(EDIT: Lol, "walk". My choice of words does say something about the average speed of the non-Sonic characters).

Actually, in Silver's case, "walk" sounds accurate giving how slow he was. His section in End of the World was probably the most annoying part for me.

My least favourite is actually Omega. Cannot stand his hovering, and his section generally just has one two many easy to die spots for the length it is.

Actually, in Silver's case, "walk" sounds accurate giving how slow he was. His section in End of the World was probably the most annoying part for me.

I agree. Followed by Omega

They made Tails, Knuckles and Rouge's levels so easy a caveman can do it. Only fleshed out level was Shadow and then Amy.

Edited by Haruhi ハルヒ