Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

The game had very few actually "Good" ideas, but those "Good" ideas were surrounded by a boat-ish load of "Terrible" ideas, terri-bad programming, and much forcing of terribley controlling characters.

I've always seen 06 as a cancelled reboot. But what confuses me is that they did a 180 towards the end of the story with Sonic and Elise, so does that mean that they expected it to be controversial and fail? I'm confused.

I vaguely recall that the earliest screens of '06 were just of Sonic running around in a realistic green forest area.  I suspect that any reboot aspect to the story was discarded early on in development - or extended only to things like the more realistic design principles.

Okay, you two, that's more than enough. Please stop taking jabs and throwing snarky remarks at one another and discuss Sonic '06 in a decent manner and nothing else. And DBZHedgy, don't tell anyone what to do as that isn't your job around here, especially since you have continuously have caused problems yourself.

I believe the both of you have been talked to more than enough times for the way you have been acting in this thread and others here. That said, if either one of you do this sort of thing again do expect some sort of disciplinary action as the Staff is sick and tired of talking to you telling you both how to conduct yourselves so please stop it.

I guess I'll just report him next time, because I didn't insult him in any way at all. I simply recited what Nepenthe told us.

----------------------

We'd have a fuck ugly Eggman from every game onward.

Clearly, '06 had to fail to spare us all this horrible fate.

By that Logic, Eggman ,Sonic and co. would still be in their "Classic" attire since those games never faltered according to the fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 06 Eggman is scary but I like the design. I just like the Unleashed design better.

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't need to be explained, its very clearly obvious that those other Sonic media are NOT in or using the same universe as the Sonic games. They are different canon(s) that have to revolve around the source material that  was there when those other media were created, they don't effect the source material in anyway. They make their own universe that is either completely different or they retell events from the "original" material in their own way.

A Reboot replaces the original source, replaces story, designs, game-play(Video game reboots), writing style, and the tone of the series as a whole. A reboot cannot exist if the original series is still going on just as it was, otherwise calling it a reboot in the 1st place was just stupid.

So basically anything that makes minor alterations to a story with absolutely anything could be considered its own canon then.

How are we so sure that Sonic X isn't just a prequel to Sonic Adventure and how Sonic and friends go to earth?

And how do we know that it didn't split into it's own canon between the games and the show like several Anime and Manga?

How do we know that isn't the same for 06?

Sonic 06 is not a reboot cause of Sonic Generations. According to that game 06 is a part of the main canon, since its included with all the other main entries of the series.

Sonic 06 is not a reboot cause of Sonic Generations. According to that game 06 is a part of the main canon, since its included with all the other main entries of the series.

Just like how Sonic Adventure DX has a sign with Sonic X on it.

That was an easter egg, doesn't have anything to do with the plot.

Not trying to be smart but your joking right?

If I may interject here, as I do, oh so infrequently~

So basically anything that makes minor alterations to a story with absolutely anything could be considered its own canon then.

How are we so sure that Sonic X isn't just a prequel to Sonic Adventure and how Sonic and friends go to earth?

And how do we know that it didn't split into it's own canon between the games and the show like several Anime and Manga?

How do we know that isn't the same for 06?

Because Sonic X had a whole arc dedicated to the adaptation of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2?

By that Logic, Eggman ,Sonic and co. would still be in their "Classic" attire since those games never faltered according to the fanbase.

As I stated... where?

Where did I ever bring up Sonic Adventure in my post? Please stop pulling words out of your ass and shoving them into my mouth please.

Also while I'm here, Adventure, unlike '06, is not unanimously hated by the majority of the fanbase. Neither are their redesigns. Some people do compain about them, but those more often then not tend to be just blinded by nostalgia and think that if the classic designs were used, then all would be well (hence the infamous "green eyes" debacle).

Also, which of these designs better stays true to the original one?

Exhibit A: Classic Eggman

180px-Robotnik_50.png

Exhibit B: Adventure onwards

250px-Sonic_%26_All-Stars_Racing_Transfo

Exhibit C: '06

250px-Eggman.jpg

You cannot tell me with a straight face that Exhibit C is not hideous standing next to Exhibits A and B. If you are, then you are either lying through your teeth, or have low standards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol, are you serious?

You can only find that Sonic X sign on mission mode, which is separate from the main story.

Not to mention, Generations established that the modern designs of the characters are just the same characters older. Different designs have nothing to do with this.

I've always seen 06 as a cancelled reboot. But what confuses me is that they did a 180 towards the end of the story with Sonic and Elise, so does that mean that they expected it to be controversial and fail? I'm confused.

I read on TV Tropes that the game might have actually been leading to a reboot, so this game was probably meant to simply introduce the new setting, characters and tone. I imagine they did the ending the way they did so that if the reception wasn't as warm as they were expecting, they could just continue as though this attempt to retool the franchise never happened. If it were successful, they could have gone on to make a proper reboot in the new 2006 style, possibly even continuing the Sonic/Elise romance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That was an easter egg, doesn't have anything to do with the plot.

But that's just it. Sonic 06's entire existence in Generations might as well be an easter egg as well. Takashi (forgot his last name) already stated that 06's backstory wasn't right about Blaze, and since the events of the game was ret-conned then there isn't any logical way to give it reason in Sonic Generations. Therefore, it too can be considered an Easter Egg and entirely Non-Canon. None of the characters in the game ever mention the events of the game. (Yet surprisingly they refer to Sonic and the Secret Rings which was thought to be Non-Canon, especially to Sonic's friends)

As I stated... where?

Where did I ever bring up Sonic Adventure in my post? Please stop pulling words out of your ass and shoving them into my mouth please.

Also while I'm here, Adventure, unlike '06, is not unanimously hated by the majority of the fanbase. Neither are their redesigns. Some people do compain about them, but those more often then not tend to be just blinded by nostalgia and think that if the classic designs were used, then all would be well (hence the infamous "green eyes" debacle).

Also, which of these designs better stays true to the original one?

Exhibit A: Classic Eggman

180px-Robotnik_50.png

Exhibit B: Adventure onwards

250px-Sonic_%26_All-Stars_Racing_Transfo

Exhibit C: '06

250px-Eggman.jpg

You cannot tell me with a straight face that Exhibit C is not hideous standing next to Exhibits A and B. If you are, then you are either lying through your teeth, or have low standards.

No, I actually Don't like Eggman's design in 06 (already stated that). But that wasn't my point.

You were demeaning 06 by saying that if it was successful design would be reused. That is wrong because of what I stated above, all of that other stuff had nothing to do with the point I was trying to convey.

And where did I ever mention you mentioning Sonic Adventure? Never. Now YOUR putting words in MY mouth. 

possibly even continuing the Sonic/Elise romance. 

Sonic doesn't love Elise...

It's one sided, just like Sonic and Amy, so it wouldn't do it justice to call it a "romance".

Not to mention, Generations established that the modern designs of the characters are just the same characters older. Different designs have nothing to do with this.

Actually no... Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are the same age...

But that's just it. Sonic 06's entire existence in Generations might as well be an easter egg as well. Takashi (forgot his last name) already stated that 06's backstory wasn't right about Blaze, and since the events of the game was ret-conned then there isn't any logical way to give it reason in Sonic Generations. Therefore, it too can be considered an Easter Egg and entirely Non-Canon. None of the characters in the game ever mention the events of the game. (Yet surprisingly they refer to Sonic and the Secret Rings which was thought to be Non-Canon, especially to Sonic's friends)

Its not really an Easter Egg if you can't actually play through the game without noticing it. It has a level in Sonic Generations because it has a popular level and Time Travel shenanigans can actually cause the events of the game to still exist even if its not in the same timeline.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its not really an Easter Egg if you can't actually play through the game without noticing it. It has a level in Sonic Generations because it has a popular level and Time Travel shenanigans can actually cause the events of the game to still exist even if its not in the same timeline.

But the game never explains the time travel junk so, how can you prove this?

The plot of Sonic Generations is about Sonic going through time since his youth to nowadays. 06 being there is a part of that. Easter egg it is not. As for the whole Blaze stuff, that was him cleaning up Nakamura's garbage writing. Iizuka had nothing to do with 06 and probably decided to say that to try to minimize its damage. As for them referencing Secret Rings, Well I guess the new writers just did that without thinking, after all they know nothing about Sonic continuity.

You were demeaning 06 by saying that if it was successful design would be reused. That is wrong because of what I stated above, all of that other stuff had nothing to do with the point I was trying to convey.

Think about it from 2006-era Sonic Team's perspective: if the game with realistic environments and a realistic Eggman with basketball mascots falling in love with realistic humans was successful, they'd think that everyone agreed with the new art direction, and then stick with it.

Again, 2006-era Sonic Team, before they got a kick up their backside that forced them to actually wake up and try harder with their games.

It's one sided, just like Sonic and Amy, so it wouldn't do it justice to call it a "romance".

Bull. Utter. Bull.

Explain Sonic's face and nervous laughter when Elise compliments him at one point.

Explain the Trial of Love.

Explain how Elise is there at all when by all means she shouldn't be if Sonic doesn't love her.

Pretty "one sided" relationship there, huh?

• Thumbs Up 2

Their relationship was portrayed more "dramatically" than Sonic and Amy's, and having Elise kiss Sonic to revive him makes it pretty clear a romance was supposed to develop. Let's just be grateful that didn't actually happen.

I don't want to get dragged into this since I don't see either side as acting too favourably, but I'd like to clear something up.

DBZHedgy, about continuities:

The Sonic games have always had a separate canon to each show; X and the games, for example, do not match up as they retell the same events in contradictory ways. Another example is Sonic Underground vs. the games. X is its own separate canon (and not a prequel to the Adventure games, since it adapts SA 1 and SA 2), but it won't ever be continued as SEGA has moved on. While '06 was originally intended to be a reboot of some sort (whether canonically or just tonally), any " '06 canon" that could've existed would not be touched with a ten foot barge pole as the game was panned critically. The fact that it retconned itself is convenient, and means that '06, and any chance of it being an alternate universe, is pretty much nil due to it never having happened.

As for the whole Generations thing, Crisis City is only there because Sonic Team wanted to use the theme of a burning city (and I'm sure fans asked for it too somewhere. Wasn't there a poll a few years back...?). Plus, why is anyone taking its presence seriously? Generations is set in a void where time pretty much doesn't exist. You'd have to be pretty dang smart to come up with logical rules that apply to a land without time.

Now, before someone rustles my jimmies (or I rustle theirs), awaaaaay! *swishes flame-proof cape and runs*

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually no... Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are the same age...

Hum....no. Dude, have you even played it? Classic Eggman looks at Modern Eggman saying "Will I really get that crazy?", the game clearly implies that's what the writers are going for. In fact where did you get the idea that they're the same age?

• Thumbs Up 4

Um, Classic Sonic isn't the same age as Modern. I'm sure they mention stuff being years ago and also, it takes place on Sonic's birthday so he'll be older by default.