Awoo.

Sonic Dash (iOS/Android)

Detective Shadzter

Though I give credit to Hardlight; they're cashing in on how a lot of fans prefer other characters to Sonic, and I can only imagine how beautifully that's helped the profit margins.

It can't be helping profit margins very much. The game is in the sales charts, but not the grossing charts. So while it is selling, people don't really seem to be taking too much to the microtransactions from what we can tell. And I'm fairly pleased about that. Hopefully come SEGA/Hardlight's next title, they'll implement microtransactions that are actually fair and worthwhile.

Odd thing. Today I saw a kid on the bus playing a complete rip-off of Sonic Dash. Or maybe, Sonic Dash is a rip-off of that game? Either way, I can't recall the name, but it used the same swipe movements in 3 columns, and you collected tokens instead of rings and ran on railroad tracks. Everything, even the HUD was exact. I'm not sure what came first, though.

Subway Surfers. It's free, predates Dash and is much better.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have been making noise about Subway Surfers if you look back a couple of pages here. It's a MUCH better game than Dash and it was available before Dash. I stopped playing Dash as soon as I found out about this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm really happy for the new update. The fact that they got rid most of the lag on the iPod Touch 4th gen is far beyond excellent. But it does crash when loading the high score bar at the point you failed to run further in the game. And it does lag for some time when on the menu but it does fade away when you wait long enough. So far they know what they're doing with the game and I support them.

Edited by kimplix

Yay! New update (1.1.0) is available! Let's see if they toned down the stupid difficulty. Downloading it now.

✪ ✪ NEW DAILY CHALLENGES ✪ ✪

Complete a challenge every day to win amazing prizes including Red Star Rings and additional characters!

✪ ✪ PLATFORM OPTIMISATION ✪ ✪

Improved performance on iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 devices.

✪ ✪ RE-BALANCED OBSTACLES ✪ ✪

Obstacles have been tweaked to avoid unavoidable deaths.

PLUS an all new Mission Tracker on the main menu, improved frame rate & bug fixes.

✪ ✪ KEEP ON RUNNING ✪ ✪

Get more rewards for the more you play! Level up your score multiplier by completing unique missions, or win amazing prizes including Red Star Rings & additional characters by completing Daily Challenges.

COMPLETE DAILY CHALLENGES TO WIN AMAZING PRIZES

EDIT:

k8Hw3wl.png

Wow! Looks like you can unlock characters on Day 5 onwards! Impressive update, Sega Hardlight. This update completely changed my view on this game. I noticed in two runs that the obstacles are not so close to each other like it was before the update.

EDIT 2: Still no new missions...

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Yup! Sonic Dash just got a whole lot better. Runs smoothly on my iPhone 4, cheap deaths have been scaled waaay back, there is incentive to keep playing the game daily, red rings are easier to obtain (thanks to the daily challenges and less cheap deaths).

Plus its free now, so anybody who can try it should try it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow, it sounds like they just turned a beta into a finished product and then made it available to the public for free.

This quite possibly will help with their microtransaction margins. As I recall that's how it worked with Jump.

Now, time for my question. What the heck is a Corkscrew? I'm trying to reason what that mission "Run around 5 Corkscrews" entails but I'm headscratching.

Maybe with the easier difficulty I can nab the 300 rings in one run mission now.

Also, this Subway Surfer thing may be better than Dash but it's not Sonic so Dash wins for me. :(

Oh. So I download a game for 3 dollars which is barely playable and then SEGA decides to fix it and give it out for free?

fakfakfkafkakff

• Thumbs Up 5

Now, time for my question. What the heck is a Corkscrew? I'm trying to reason what that mission "Run around 5 Corkscrews" entails but I'm headscratching.

It's those loops that aren't exactly loops. Like what you see in Emerald Hill Zone

462825-sonic-the-hedgehog-2-iphone-scree

Oh. So I download a game for 3 dollars which is barely playable and then SEGA decides to fix it and give it out for free?

fakfakfkafkakff

I think they milked enough of the fanbase by this point for the initial price so they make it free to appeal to the non-fanbase consumers, I presume.

Still, indeed. Grrrrr.

It's those loops that aren't exactly loops. Like what you see in Emerald Hill Zone

So those things that seldom appear for me. Fffff. D:

Well, thank you!

462825-sonic-the-hedgehog-2-iphone-scree

Corkscrew eh? For over 20 years I've been assuming that was called a Mobius Strip... and that's where the supposed name of Sonic's planet came from.

In other news; this makes the game sound much more interesting, although I would agree with the sentiment of "ignore the transactions and enjoy". That's what I've been doing with Temple Run, although gems seem to pop up quite frequently. Still no news on the Android front, though. Boo.

Edited by MamboCat

...FREE?!

The game's now free?

That's it. No more. Feel ripped off. >.>

• Thumbs Up 1

Corkscrew eh? For over 20 years I've been assuming that was called a Mobius Strip... and that's where the supposed name of Sonic's planet came from.

Maybe it was changed later on to absolutely make it clear that Mobius isn't related to the game continuity whatsoever. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

...FREE?!

The game's now free?

I think we can safely say

Fuck you Hardlight

They didn't even give early-buyers a bonus! Temple Run did when it was made free. :/

Edited by Autosaver

A corkscrew is an incomplete mobius strip, and a mobius strip is a 3 dimensional object with only one side (which is where the Zero Gravity stage gets its name). Enjoy your science lesson for the day :D

Also, pissed off about this development. They make the game free AND better in every way after I already paid for it? Ugh... Not that it's necessarily unfair but it is bloody lame.

Wish they could award players who paid for it by giving them 20 red rings or something.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm loving the sound of that update so far -- especially since I'm an iPhone 4 user, and I thought the game looked terrible on it. While on my iPad, it looks fantastic... Updating the iPad version as we type.

I think they're releasing it for free now because thanks to the characters, they've had plenty of in-app purchases. At least I can still play it without being forced to pay for another run... (Revive tokens being optional to continue, things like that.)

What kind of Sonic fans prefer Temple Run and/or Subway Surfers? Both games stole numerous mechanics from Sonic in the first place! The Sonic Stadium? More like the Anti Sonic Stadium, am I right people? People are acting like the game is a broken mess, it was fine even before the update on 4th gen devices (sans the rare occasional crash that even 'AAA titles' like Bad Piggies have).

• Thumbs Up 2

Umm, what?! In my long years following this franchise, I had no idea being a Sonic fan meant I had to exclude all other games from my interests(!) Temple Run is a fun game, and Dash isn't even on Android yet... so what's wrong with enjoying a game I have access to?!

Enjoy your science lesson for the day biggrin.png.

Ahhh for me every day is a science lesson! biggrin.png I made that comment because I'm sure in the Sonic 2 manual it calls them Mobius Strips... but interesting to know the name was changed... corkscrews and green eyes... ugh   need to lie down! :P

Edited by MamboCat

What kind of Sonic fans prefer Temple Run and/or Subway Surfers? Both games stole numerous mechanics from Sonic in the first place! The Sonic Stadium? More like the Anti Sonic Stadium, am I right people? People are acting like the game is a broken mess, it was fine even before the update on 4th gen devices (sans the rare occasional crash that even 'AAA titles' like Bad Piggies have).

fuck yeah! how dare people criticize a broken money grabbing game that was poor imitation of current best-selling high quality games!

I agree with you 100%.

• Thumbs Up 2

What kind of Sonic fans prefer Temple Run and/or Subway Surfers? 

Sonic fans who happen to have different opinions to Sonic fans who prefer Sonic Dash?

Huh, that quite possibly is where it came from originally. Only other "Mobius" I know is from the Command and Conquer franchise as a doctor who has great knowhow of an unstable element.

...FREE?!

The game's now free?

It really would have been less of a jerk move if they only made it free for a day like they did with Dash.

Maybe it was changed later on to absolutely make it clear that Mobius isn't related to the game continuity whatsoever. tongue.png

In the end another casualty of SEGA not being able to decide where its continuity is going. tongue.png

I think we can safely say

Fuck you Hardlight

They didn't even give early-buyers a bonus! Temple Run did when it was made free. :/

Wish they could award players who paid for it by giving them 20 red rings or something.

They should award players with whatever 2.00 would buy, in addition to a small bonus as thanks for the support.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Well the game runs better now on my iPod Touch 4, but that's not saying much as there's still slowdown every now and then. I find myself still "phazing" through items and enemies during these hiccups. And the game has crashed 3 times today as well. Better but still not perfect.

And I too am pissed that I paid $3 for what was essentially a "beta test." Hasn't even been a month yet.

They should award players with whatever 2.00 would buy, in addition to a small bonus as thanks for the support.

I guess I'm the only one who turned the game on to get 10 free Revive Tokens? Or was that something they released before the update?

• Thumbs Up 1

So...I finally got to try it, it being free now was a wonderful chance. Since I don't own any IOS device I borrowed a relative's Iphone 5 and it runs pretty well. Smooth 30fps, do any other devices run it at 60 or is it always 30? Just wondering.

Anyway I've gotten a couple of cheap hits and accidentaly spent some red rings to pass a mission...which I didn't want to do :/

Other than that it's ok for the moment.

I guess I'm the only one who turned the game on to get 10 free Revive Tokens? Or was that something they released before the update?

I just got that too. I wonder what that was about?

Edit: 10 revives = 5 red rings btw. So like a dollar back? Geez..

Edited by Autosaver