Awoo.

Sonic Dash (iOS/Android)

Detective Shadzter

I stopped caring what IGN had to say ages ago. Good to see their userbase is more supportive of Sonic than their actual critics, though.

The unavoidable deaths thing sounds like it's an issue far enough into the game yes. But to get there you have to care about getting a massive score.

Most folks play this title to see how high they can get their score; I play to see how long I can go without dying. As a result, the microtransactions don't mean a thing to me. Your mileage will vary on the transactions, given that your need to use them is entirely dependent on why you're playing the game, and if you want to unlock any goodies. I'm content with just Sonic, really, so the characters are meaningless to me, especially when I see how half-baked their gameplay was in this.

The unavoidable deaths thing sounds like it's an issue far enough into the game yes. But to get there you have to care about getting a massive score.

The cheap deaths part starts very quickly for this game. At least in games like Temple Run, you would have to play for a while and it would be very rare to get cheap spots.

@T-Shirt Link - Firefox is giving me a possible dangerous website page, I'm out of here. :P

The cheap deaths part starts very quickly for this game. At least in games like Temple Run, you would have to play for a while and it would be very rare to get cheap spots.

I can usually play for a few minutes without dying... so I never really saw the cheapness. I've seen some really fast approaching death traps, of course, but nothing I couldn't handle with some quick reflexes.

I really think a lot of cheapness is in the eye of the beholder is the problem. What one sees as cheapness will be seen by another as an increasing difficulty curve. Which is logical: the point of the game on Hardlight's end is to make money, so naturally the longer you go on the more paralysingly difficult it will get, necessitating the spending of money to avoid starting over.

I just avoid that problem entirely by shrugging when I die and starting over. I play it for the challenge of it all (as I compared it to earlier, it's like playing a game with no rings), not the score.

What one sees as cheapness will be seen by another as an increasing difficulty curve.

Fuck barely possible jumps and too closely packed structures while having low performance.

I'm not sure if it is a lot easier on the iPhone 4s or 5, but it's nearly impossible to deal with some of these obstacles when the game starts to lag in these sections.

Fuck barely possible jumps and too closely packed structures while having low performance.

I'm not sure if it is a lot easier on the iPhone 4s or 5, but it's nearly impossible to deal with some of these obstacles when the game starts to lag in these sections.

Oh, well. That definitely can be marked against Hardlight. The game sounds like it was very poorly optimised for the newer systems. I run mine on an iPad 6, so that's the problem. The poor optimisation for the lower end systems is an indisputable critique, for certain.

Oh, well. That definitely can be marked against Hardlight. The game sounds like it was very poorly optimised for the newer systems. I run mine on an iPad 6, so that's the problem. The poor optimisation for the lower end systems is an indisputable critique, for certain.

Ipad 6? Are you from the future? :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Ipad 6? Are you from the future? tongue.png

5 then?

Whatever the newest one is; I don't know Apple products well. I didn't ask for it, my Dad just magically dropped it on me on Christmas and I didn't really get any use out of it until Dash came out. :P

I'm sorry if this is noticed before.

But has anyone noticed the camera bug for whenever you do a mid-air spin dash after homing attacking a chopper

the camera will stay further away.

Just thought I'd say that.

I can never get the boost to work on time so I just gave up on that one. I'm more concerned with forgetting I need to slide my finger in order to homing attack the Chopper. Nothing is more crushing than dying because you forgot how to hit a bloody fish...

I feel really sorry for those of you who make use of continues!

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Ipad 6? Are you from the future? tongue.png

By the end of this year there WILL be a iPad 6, with the way they are releasing them so damn quickly.

Which makes sense. Technology is growing so rapidly (processing power doubles every eighteen months as I recall) the hardware just can't keep up, necessitating a new model rather than an update to the current one. THAT is going to be a big economic issue in the coming future I think. Remember when it was possible to buy all three consoles for what it costs to buy one today? There's just too much going into technology today; the market will encounter issues as incomes don't rise to meet the supply of tech.

More on topic, this means games like Sonic Dash will become more mainstream as it goes on. Apps are easily produced and easily purchased. As the capabilities of the iOS and Android get better with each generation, I think the disdain for the mobile games is going to decrease. I know too many gamers who look with scorn upon mobile titles, but as the price of console gaming continues to soar, I think they'll become a bit more humble.

I mean, originally your mobile games basically looked like modern Gameboy games. Now they're increasingly more 3D.

So... I'm interested to see what the next Mobile Sonic will look like. I can only imagine it'll be gorgeous.

• Thumbs Up 1

242hnv9.jpg

I give up. I freakin' give up. There's absolutely no way that anyone, let alone me, is going to beat that score of over 2,000,000.

A score of 2 million? I refuse to believe that's legitimate (as in, one-run without deaths). At the very least it must be abusing revives.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

In that score I only used one revival token...Now I usually reach 1.000.000 points limit without any problem

Today's stats...

yvq0lyo.jpg

Of course, you can believe what you want wink.png

Edited by Sephy

.....Ho-ly Shit. Someone has A LOT of time on their hands if they dedicated that much time and effort to get that score!:P

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to spend 3 hours everyday on trains because of University...so yeah, those are very prolific hours lol

That... that's just incredible. 2 million with... only one token?

Good lord those reflexes of yours are amazing! You must've really got down the technique and timing to get past the more cheaply placed obstacle areas...

Congratulations!

So, I got massively addicted to this again this morning, must have played a good couple of hours today. Finally managed to finish every mission without spending so much as a penny above the asking price for the game (which is more than can be said for Sonic Jump, where I did admittedly resort to buying a few ring bundles).

I basically stand by my last statement that the game is addictive and fun as hell, so long as you swear off any and all microtransactions and stop giving a shit about unlocking the extra characters (I just used all my Red Star Rings on revive tokens). Yeah, it's a filthy business move to make some of the characters impossible to unlock without paying, so I'm certainly not letting it off the hook, just saying that if you don't even bother with them, suddenly the pressure to cave in to microtransactions is a very weak foe indeed. Admittedly I've almost been tempted to buy a few ring bundles to speed up the skill-levelling process, but it's not really worth it when rings are much easier to collect and save in this compared to Sonic Jump.

If you focus primarily on levelling up how quickly the boost gauge fills, the game just gets so much easier and it just sort of goes from there. I never had huge amounts of trouble with any of the missions, myself.

I basically stand by my last statement that the game is addictive and fun as hell, so long as you swear off any and all microtransactions and stop giving a shit about unlocking the extra characters (I just used all my Red Star Rings on revive tokens). Yeah, it's a filthy business move to make some of the characters impossible to unlock without paying, so I'm certainly not letting it off the hook, just saying that if you don't even bother with them, suddenly the pressure to cave in to microtransactions is a very weak foe indeed. Admittedly I've almost been tempted to buy a few ring bundles to speed up the skill-levelling process, but it's not really worth it when rings are much easier to collect and save in this compared to Sonic Jump.

Yeah, this is all it really comes down to. If you're deadset on a gigantic score or unlocking Tails or Knuckles, then you're liable to be paying a ton of real life cash for them. Seeing how meh the characters were implemented kind of deters actually buying them unless you're a diehard fan.

Once played casually though, it's very addicting and a good time sink. The microtransactions are fair game for criticism but really they're overstated. If one just wants to have fun they can easily avoid paying a single extra penny for anything. smile.png

I just hope I don't drive my family crazy with ~6 hours straight of Seaside Hill this Thursday.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Louis Balzani has posted TSSZ review of Sonic Dash.

3.5/5

http://www.tssznews.com/2013/03/25/review-sonic-dash/

Really, that people make a big deal out of Tails and Knuckles makes me groan. They are blatant reskins of the highest order in this. There's no real perk to getting them other than doing it or to please one's inner fan. Once people realise this, the microtransactions thing quickly dissipates... because barring continues, you're going to have a lot less strain on your red ring supply.

Though I give credit to Hardlight; they're cashing in on how a lot of fans prefer other characters to Sonic, and I can only imagine how beautifully that's helped the profit margins.

Also. The high score of the game is 9.2 quintillion. I'd say this game no longer has any purpose in playing competitively barring with friends.

Odd thing. Today I saw a kid on the bus playing a complete rip-off of Sonic Dash. Or maybe, Sonic Dash is a rip-off of that game? Either way, I can't recall the name, but it used the same swipe movements in 3 columns, and you collected tokens instead of rings and ran on railroad tracks. Everything, even the HUD was exact. I'm not sure what came first, though.