Awoo.

Mario & Luigi 4 (Dream Team)!

SIXTH-RATE SOMA

Holy crap, was I freaking ecstatic to wake up to this. I LOVE the Mario and Luigi series and Bowser's Inside Story is one of my top 5 favorite games from the past five years, so I was just waiting for a new game to be announced. This looks absolutely beautiful and the gimmick looks like the typical M&L combo of fun and interesting. Looks like it's taking a few cues from BIS also, which can only be a good thing in my opinion. Plus, it comes out in the Summer! We HAVE an English title at the first announcement! No endless waiting like for BIS between announcement and release! That's freaking AWESOME! Hopefully it'll be out in time for my birthday so I can score it as a gift. biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone else catch how Iwata says "in this version of the game..."?  Perhaps a Wii U version is on the way as well?

Nintendo is holding out until E3 to show Mario & Luigi: Dream Team U. In this version Luigi invades Mario's dreams and make chaos for Mario similar to that one Looney Tunes ep where Bugs Bunny torments Elmer Fudd in his dreams.

The only M&L game I played was Superstar  and that was my cousins so I never really finished it. This game is a must have for me. Luigi is one of my favorite characters and it looks to be a great game. I got the same vibe with Paper Mario but that went away the more I saw its changes to what other paper mario games did.

I think Miyamoto secretly loves Luigi more since this game seems to have original enemies.

I'm looking at the trailer and seeing Mario and Luigi move, and I'm stunned at how remarkably consistent the poses and actions are to the standard M&L artwork.

The spritework from the first three M&L's were very charming and captivating, but I always felt that it didn't do quite enough to emulate the style the artwork presented, which is what I've been waiting to see ever since I saw the original art from M&L:SS. Seeing Mario and Luigi move around like that, especially in the jumping and in-battle, in the trailer, had me smiling as if Christmas came early.

I am terribly excited for this game if just for that, because I know I'm going to love every single time Mario and Luigi move. <3

Edited by Gregor
  • Thumbs Up 2

Whoa, I was not expecting them to make another M&L game, at least not so soon after Sticker Star.

This is great news. I'm not really as big into M&L as I am into PM (I didn't like M&L3 as much as everyone else does), but more Mario RPGs can only be a good thing. Definitely looking forward to this.

Well, to be fair, Sticker Star should have been out a long time ago.

I really, really love the 3D in this. 3D models with style are very rare, and these are much better (IMO) than the Mario/Luigi models in other games. It's very stylized, and I think I might like it MORE than the sprites.

As an avid fan of this series, I'm so fucking excited. I loved every entry in this seires and was waiting for this. I wonder what the plot is going to be this time around. It's probably got something to do with another macguffin like the previous three games.

Man, I am so glad I got my 3DS when I did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario and Luigi beats the Paper series IMO. TTYD was fantastic and the first was good but the last two Paper Mario games weren't that good IMO. All of the M&L games have been pretty good to great though.

Anyone else catch how Iwata says "in this version of the game..."?  Perhaps a Wii U version is on the way as well?

I'm pretty sure he meant installment. As in this being 3DS installment instead of the GBA and DS installments.

Nintendo is holding out until E3 to show Mario & Luigi: Dream Team U. In this version Luigi invades Mario's dreams and make chaos for Mario similar to that one Looney Tunes ep where Bugs Bunny torments Elmer Fudd in his dreams.

YES. DO WANT. DO WANT. DO WANT.

For the next Mario & Luigi RPG, I was expecting either a hand-drawn blown-out cartoony style or full 3D, both models and analog stick'd.

CLOSE ENOUGH

The game looks beautiful. Never before have I seen such cartoony graphics on 3D, and now there's gonna be a WiiU version?! Sweet. (I WAS SEEING IT COMING GUYS) Kind of disappointing they'd use a 2D gimmick for at least more than 20% of the game, since BiS did that one game ago, but the gimmicks using Luigi in his dreams look pretty awesome.

Can't understand why they're keeping Starlow, since they get new assistants every time, (Or maybe PiT and BiS doing that was just a coincidence) but oh well, Starlow was my favorite assistant anyway.

The dream thing looks like it could be a hit-or-miss story-wise, but looking at the previous Mario & Luigis, I'm not even worried.

Now all I wait for is its music. Dis gon'be good, guys.

Looking at the battles, I almost nearly fell for it - But the 2D overworld, which I think would share the same model as the 3D overworld, since similarities can be made and they wouldn't really make replacements for animations they already have, looks almost exactly like the battle screen.

My conclusion: That's how good the game looks. It's so beautiful, it makes 3D look hand-drawn.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose I should go try to finish BiS again.  I got stalled on one of those stupid boat bits and cannot get past it, but I think I'm fairly close to the end.  I think it's verging a little too close to QTEs for my brain to handle, since the pattern of reds and greens changes each time through. 

Hm. I'm sort of disliking the sidescrolling parts but everything else seems so damn perfect that I could forgive it. M&L: SSS is one of my all time favorite games, I really hope it goes back to level of awesomeness that game had and not disapoint like PiT. BiS was a step in the right direction that I'm glad they took.

Looks amazing. Don't mind the switch from 2d sprites since their models and movements look very faithful to the artwork. Couldn't care less about 3d bullshit since it hurts my eyes so bad. I only played Superstar Saga which I got for christmas 10 yrs ago. Since I didn't have a DS, but I'm still a huge fan.

The battle system for this series is just so satisfying.

I'm loving Nintendo for giving me reasons to have faith in the 3DS again. I really hope this isn't the let-down Sticker Star turned out to be!

ebfedb4e4f4d13264746036ee175c748.jpg

Hoohoohoo.png

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the traveling Hoohooligans in this screenshot. They might be different due to their color, though. Maybe Whohooligans?

Perhaps we are going to revisit past places like Beanbean Kingdom?

Now that I think about it, since it is dream based, I am expecting Fawful to appear as a secret boss.

Wishing for Wart.

Edited by Scheming Minor
  • Thumbs Up 5

This was by far my favourite announcement from Nintendo Direct. I absolutely love the Mario & Luigi games and I honestly wasn't expecting another one so soon, especially hot on the heels of Paper Mario's handheld debut. Fingers crossed that Dream Team will freshen up the bittersweet taste that Sticker Star left in the mouth - I want to see some genuine wackiness and creativity back in the Mario RPGs, and from the short video and few screenshots so far, this look like it'll be bursting with far more charm than Sticker Star ever was. I mean, we already have confirmation that not all of the NPCs will be generic Toads! Or even generic Mario species! Hurray!

Simply put - Dream Team is a dream come true, announcement-wise. Let's just hope it really does live up to its name and doesn't turn out to be a nightmare.

Seeing that this game take place in a dream, I'm excited to see the different setting that the game has. from what we saw there is this unique grassland level, a castle, the Luigi constallation, and that place that had multiple Luigis carrying Mario. And thats just the dream world, there is also that quarry and village in the "real " world.  1000 bonus points if one of the bosses in the dream world is Mario himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

So Broque Monsieur is back and it hits NA on August 11th. Definitely preparing some post-birthday savings to pick up this beauty. biggrin.png

Edited by CC14 the Vipester

For some reason, in Europe it appears to be called "Dream Team Bros."  Maybe there was a copyright issue here with just "Dream Team"?  Because it doesn't do anything for the title to add "Bros.," that's for sure.

Also, while it seems there are a few Bowser's Inside Story characters in it, perhaps we can hope they're actually putting in cameos from across the series?  That'd fit with the whole dream business.  Er, even though they're clearly there in the real world.  Also, no Bowser in sight yet.  Maybe the villain is a new one, or maybe it really is Wart back for more.

Nintendo aren't cool enough to bring a character like Wart back after so long, and stick him in the main villian role to boot. They'd rather spend their time bringing back lame henchmen like the Koopalings or Boom-Boom or Reznor, who aren't worth caring about

Also Bowser will probably put in an appearance in this. He managed to show up in PiT afterall. Plus its his job to be the warm up boss that has Toadsworth asking if you need the tutorial for battles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I'm sure Bowser will be in.  I'm just crossing my fingers that we'll have new or as-new villains on top of that, to put an end to this rather conservative streak Nintendo's been on for a while.  Not that certain other recent announcements give me much confidence in that (Yoshi's Island 3DS looking exactly like the original, Zelda 3DS looking exactly like LttP, Bowser's Inside Story characters in this...).

Right now it could go either way I guess. Though the M&L games always have the final boss be a warped/possessed version/copy of Bowser as well, so we can kinda expect that eitherways.

The only other candidates for a returning villian would be Popple or Midbus though, unless it turns out Fawful survived (which would be neat, give the side series its own main antagonist of sorts). Or it could just be a new guy altogether, who knows...