Awoo.

Mario & Luigi 4 (Dream Team)!

SIXTH-RATE SOMA

I think I was like 42, but only because I wanted to reach the final rank to get the gold store. I dunno what the ideal level is, but I had no problems going through at that level.

You should be around level 40 if you even think of entering the Final World. That's what I was told anyway.

I've been playing the game for a week now and I'm loving every minute of it! It does start off really slow but once you get to Wakeport it gets good! This is actually the first M&L game I've ever played. Playing a bit of Superstar Saga on emulator does not count.

I honestly thought that Doozing Sands is were it started to get good. And I'm the same Dream Team is my first M & L game

• 3 months later...

So I was looking at buying this game the other day, and was shocked to see it going for as low as £25 for a new game, a Mario game no less! I'm also baffled that the cheapest I can find Super Mario Bros.2 3DS is £30, how does that logic work with a much older Mario title being far more expensive than a game releases a few weeks ago? Hell most places still charge you £39.99 for Bros.2 :/

2D Mario games are often like that what with them selling far more for whatever reason.

I honestly thought that Doozing Sands is were it started to get good. And I'm the same Dream Team is my first M & L game

I gave up playing the game literally just before the Dozing Sands. Honestly, I've found it to be absolute crap this far. All the nice graphics and music can't save a game that's this unfun. Maybe I'll try and get back into it at some point, but eh...

I gave up playing the game literally just before the Dozing Sands. Honestly, I've found it to be absolute crap this far. All the nice graphics and music can't save a game that's this unfun. Maybe I'll try and get back into it at some point, but eh...

Wow, all the dialogue and tutorials put you off didn't it.

I Got this game around this Christmas. Seeing all you guys finish around 30 hours was pretty fast I must say. I finished around 52 hours. Oh well, I did a lot of exploration and I'm not that  good at RPG anyway but they are still fun, especially M&L.

compared to the first one, the story kinda felt short, We hardly got any Antasma or Bowser. Fighting them in the dream world was an epic fight to start of the game and they should of came around more instead of hiding in their castle.

In the beginning it made me think Antasma was invading Luigi's dream but later in the story Luigi act like that dream never happen.

There was not a lot of enemies and I hate how when we were exploring more areas of the places we already been in were mostly re-skins of some bad guys. 

But most of the story was pretty great and really funny. Luigi having confidence at the Giant Bowser battle was pretty epic, but my favourite Giany boss fight was the Zeekeeper, that was a really interesting fight. 

Dream battles and normal battles were fun but I kinda like the normal battles better due to having 2 turns.

Overall, Great game, but could be better. 

Seeing this thread again has made me review the previous games in my mind, and... while Parters In Time is usually considered the worst game in the series, in retrospect it's going up in my estimation.  I think the cheerful, colourful visuals in Dream Team (Bros., since I'm in Europe) and the fact that the peaceful island setting is basically left completely unscathed by all the goings-on of the plot has made me realise that Partners In Time was actually visually really brave.  Toads being consumed by trees, destroyed Toad towns, an invaded and infected Peach's Castle... it was cartoony dark, but still pretty dark compared to the other games in the series.  Have we seen anything like that in a Mario game since?  Or before?

Thousand Year Door was arguably darker, and I believe Super Paper Mario took it even further. I don't know how it compares to toads turning into trees, but Creepy Steeple gave me chills when I first played, and the whole Doopliss plot in addition to the Shadow Queen are really dark by Mario standards. Even the original SMRPG had its creepy moments, like the final throwdown with Smithy.

I'm at what I assume to be the final dungeon in Dream Team now, and I REALLY don't understand why Alpha Dream ditched the switching mechanic from Superstar Saga. I hate how the two bros are tethered to each other, whereas in SSS, you could just swap to Luigi if he fell off a ledge and manually move him up.

I really liked that the bros. could sometimes be separated - for scripted reasons, or for quite natural ones - in Superstar Saga, and you'd occasionally just have one or the other for events.  It made them feel more like a pair of individuals rather than separate button configurations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I really enjoyed SS but I can no longer play it due to having the cartridge stolen :(

Still waiting for that eShop release on 3DS Nintendo!

Yeah, I can't play SS either since my ds lite is basically busted which in hindsight I probably shouldn't have bought the game in the first place when I literally had to alternate between my ds lite and my nephews to get stuff done (both have buttons that don't work) and the worst part is that im just at the last part of it.

I must confess, I never got around to finishing this game. I sat through the lengthy opening tutorials and found a relatively fun experience waiting for me on the other side, and I did really like all the Dreamy Luigi stuff. But this game, man... it just goes on, and on, and on... I think I must have been over 20 hours in and still being sent on lengthy fetch quests to collect umpteen magical macguffins, when the game could quite easily have fired me towards an epic climax much earlier on. I guess I just lost my incentive to continue, and as the game went on my enjoyment steadily began to diminish.

It wasn't a bad game from what I played - heck, it was a damn sight better than Paper Mario: Sticker Star - but it really started to outstay its welcome in my opinion. Too much needless padding tarnished what could have been an otherwise enjoyable adventure for me.

One of my problems, actually, is that all the dream world areas looked more or less the same.  It felt like I was just doing the same thing every single time.  The later parts of the story where you revisit previous areas to explore a bit further only reinforce this impression.  I like that they added a bit of non-linearity to it, but it didn't quite hit the spot the way a similar device did in Superstar Saga.  It kind of didn't help that in some ways the game felt like it hadn't had any new ideas after Bowser's Inside Story - the same 2D intervals, the same touch-controlled giant battles.

I guess my recipe for a fifth game in the series would be to quit making the extensive 2D segments - the first two games only had occasional 2D segments almost as jokes, little nostalgic riffs on their own heritage, and the more expansive sections in the third and fourth game seem to just be simplified versions of the regular gameplay rather than anything more complex or challenging.  (In any case, if we really wanted to play 2D Mario we'd be playing, you know, a 2D Mario game.)  I'd probably cut the forced giant battles, too - make us use the touch screen on the occasional puzzle or minigame, sure, but otherwise, stick to the basics (...add in giant robots and we'll talk).  Have a plot with a sense of threat and a world with locations we wouldn't typically see in a Mario game rather than a grasslands area, a mountain area, a beach area, a desert area.  For new material, do what the second and third games did and add new, alternative playable characters to share the story with.  I'm blatantly biased because I'm a Wario fan and want a Wario RPG but gameplay with Wario or Yoshi really seems like the obvious way to expand the series after the Baby Bros. and Bowser.

The most important thing, though, that basically everyone complained about: Fewer and quicker tutorials, swifter start to the real game.  They've started to figure this out over on the Zelda series.  How much do you actually need to explain to the player?  In how much detail?  And do you really need to pack it all in at the very start of the game?

So, has an official ost of this game been released yet?

• 1 year later...

Sorry guys if I bump this topic after so many months, but I seriously need help.

I was replaying the game, I only have to beat the Battle Ring and the final boss, and thanks to sheer luck I found the Farmer Boots (the item that can make enemies drop beenies that increase stats) so I came back to Dreamy Dozing Sands to "harvest" a lot of beenies... then suddendly I got stuck in this place:

Picture0001_zpsvqqkgmys.jpg

I tried to press R to change shape, but the space is too tiny to allow that.

I tried to move and repeat pressing R, but it's the same result.

I tried to turn off then turn on (and yes, I SAVED THE GAME IN THAT SPOT. I collected a lot of beenies and I wanted to keep them, okay?) but I came back in the same stupid position.

Am I really stuck forever?

I honestly don't know what to tell you. but you saved at that particular moment?

Hm... Does pressing L collapse you or does that not work?

Hm... Does pressing L collapse you or does that not work?

i think you collapse it with the b button but he is stuck in the middle of two walls in mid flight with no room to collapse