Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

Okay, two gags toward the end had me in absolute stitches and are probably engrained in my memory forever, those being:

Pinkie with inflatable fingers and the riff on G3 ponies

But overall this was...an episode. I don't know. This whole concept felt kind of forced to me, to be honest. Yet I can't deny that some of the humor really worked, so...I just...argh. I need to collect my thoughts and maybe give it another watch. Something about it just didn't click with me but I can't really say what it is. My brain is tugging in two directions here.

"You are Flutter Puddinghead, the lovable earth pony, destined to overthrow the Princess."

Princess Celestia...

...we comin' for you, nigga!

Really enjoyed this week's episode, and while I actually liked the premiere, this was way better than that. I mean, with that many Pinkie Pies, how could you not love this episode? Favorite part was probably the quiet "Wee!" when she jumped accompanied with the slow motion landing.

Also this:

xbNVB.png

I'm so sorry...

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

That G3 Pinkie Pie made me laugh my ass off. Seeing such a design that people hate so much yet used as a gag to poke fun at G3 will forever be ingrained in my mind.

And unfortunately, G4!Pinkie Pie, apparently, feels exactly the same way.

the_other_pinkie_by_tobibrocki-d5ku4ar.png

Linkie Pie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am Shinning Cadence, the magical donkey... My destiny is to scold Parasprites...

Awesome...

Warning: If the title hasn't hinted you consider this review might sometimes disregard things like the MST3K Mantra or Belisario's Maxim, this episode was fun and you should feel fun for it.

This review is also copyrighted by GATOX SA and it's copy and redistribution is forbidden in any country which name has vowels on it.

Winners don't use drugs, they drink water and get the same effects.

G9TWN.png

Overanalysing is FUN!

I totally forgot to use this one in the preview.

Episode 55: Too Many Pinkie Pies

Let me spoil you a bit of my ending comment and say I think this episode is both incredibly brilliant and kind of dumb. How? Because Pinkie Pie I'm going to explain it right now.

The story begins with Twilight trying to transfigure one life form into another... Or rather, let's say she's trying to fine tune her not so perfect attempt to do that back in the gala, but then she suddenly gets interrupted by a surprise hug by our resident party pony causing her aim to be off and hit a bird...

Now, I had to pause here for a moment to process the fact Twilight just vaporized a bird, of course it later turns out the thing was alive, she just turned it into some sort of bird/fruit abomination.... It's kind of hard to think right now which fate would have been the best for "Little Mordecai" (and seeing how other things turned out, it doesn't really seems like the purple Unicorn showed much concern about it)

But anyway! Pinkie suggest herself as a test subject but then she finds Rarity going into exile again... Oh... No wait... She is just trying to cover her fabulousness to avoid blinding other ponies!

No I'm not biased! Shut up!

Oh well, Rarity makes an off hand comment that makes Pinkie realize something terrible, in all those years she's been there she's been missing lots of FUN and wonderful events! All because she couldn't be there! Now, this is the first example of what I said at the begging... It's kind of odd that it took at least 3 years for Pinkie to realize this fact of her life but it's also great because it gives a wider spectrum about the life in Ponyville, Pinkie recognizes she's missing a lot and we only get a bare glimpse of the many kind of tales going around the village, I almost wish they used a background pony at some point here because it would give me some serious 22 Short Films About Springfield vibes.

Anyway, after this realization Pinkie decides that the best option would be that she must be everywhere and try to have FUN with all her friends (which is pretty much the whole town last time I checked), this scene is also great because it reminds us a lot about Pinkie's odder skills like being able to not only outrun Dash but she's also able go beyond her regular earth pony being and manipulate clouds just by running that fast. Then she goes to Applejack and have some... sort of enjoyment out of the fact she's riding a wagon and then promises she's going to pull it next time and runs off, now this was most likely unintentional and I'm looking way too much into it but it still made cracked me up. And then we have another awesome moment (writing wise) because despite all her sugar induced cartoon powers Pinkie still has limits, because the moment she goes with Fluttershy (and Angel, being a gentleman... Is he bipolar or something? Now that's an interesting head canon) she pretty much collapses. In a kind of bad moment though, Pinkie should have seen this coming since she tried to do this marathon while sending invitations to Gummy's birthday party... Oh well...

Next act opens with... I might need the script later one but it seems like Pinkie named her own energy reserves? XD... Anyway! Fluttershy helps Pinkie get better and while she was lamenting over the fact she won't be able to spend time with all their friends at the same time and it's in that moment that both Applejack and Rainbow Dash appear and suggest some FUN activities to spend the time with. Oh my! That's it! Her friends should go to her instead! This solves everything!

Okay, I'm sorry XD... I Pinkie Promise I won't do this again next week.

Eexcept! Both activities are happening at the same time! Now this is another good moment right there because neither of the characters seem to be so pushy about this, makes me think they also learned a bit about the Ticket Master then they tried to push Twilight around so they could get a free pass to The Gala, and in like that episode Pinkie got in a similar dilemma about choosing whose friend should she spend her time with...

Still, that doesn't stop her from trying, in her attempts to be in both places at the same time she stumbles again with Twilight who now accidentally transfigured a frog... ... ... After finding out about Pinkie's dilemma Twilight just says there is no way she could be in both places at the same time unless she somehow managed to clone herself. (and of course, you should listen to Twi, she knows her stuff... Really... She schedules every hour of her life... And that's in a good day). And that's how Pinkie got the most stupendenderific idea ever! (Anyone notice the dialogue in this chapter? It had some flavor of it's own... Though it's arguable if you liked it or not) An old rhyme told by her Nana (who is shaping up to be quite the character, almost like Star Swirl) about a mirror pool (or pond) and how reciting it near it could create a duplicate of yourself... A... Quite obscure legend it seems (judging by Twi's reaction), but Pinkie has been shown before to know a lot more than what she lets people see (Read: Parasprites and the creation of Equestria).

Point is, Pinkie creates a near perfect replica of herself, the only difference is that this one seems to be driven by a single desire (which might represent part of the character it copied or the driving force behind the creation of it)... FUN! After a bit of an introduction the party duo proceed to divide their FUN load, "Pinkie Prime" (as I'm naming her from here on) will go with Rainbow Dash and the duplicate will go to see Applejack (Which indirectly means Pinkie chose to stay with Dashie! SHIPPING AHO*punch'd*).

All is well and dandy in Rainbow Dash's side so let's just skip that, "Pinkie Twice" is doing her part of the plan and go see AJ but then she stumbles upon Fluttershy who just couldn't hold herself and HAD to have some FUN with her animal friends (I... Love this moment, but I'll get to that later) Pinkie Twice is found in the very same dilemma the original had and now she doesn't know what to do!

Pinkie Prime on the other hoof was having a (quiet) blast with Dash, and this is another moment I love, since it shows what she learned in A Friend In Deed... But I'm going a bit off topic, Pinkie was doing her own thing when her duplicate shows up and tells her about the new problem, they decide that the best course of action is to make 2 more duplicates (one just to be sure) and it's here when thing start going south, I'm going to make a wild guess and say somehow "Pinkie Twice" thought cloning herself was FUN, because she chose to do it again... And again... And again... You catch my drift.

Q0zo7.png

Looks like the kind of pony who would always welcome us in her... Cottage...

So Pinkie unintentionally raised an army, but since things went on like that she might as well take this chance to cover all of Ponyville's FUN! After a quick tutorial about her friends (and herself) Pinkie sends in the clones!

And so they go! They start pranking Dash and quickly overwhelm her, Pinkie Prime gets there only to see what is a miniature battlefield and quickly decides to go see Applejohn Applejack, who is trying to raise her barn only to be thwarted by an army of Pinkie's who start wrecking the place for their own amusement (as a side note, I kind of loved Apple Fritter with purple eyes)... Pinkie sees this and the more than understandable reaction AJ had about this and takes things... Rather badly... we start with a What Have I Done moment and then it gets worse from there...

The next part opens with an angry mob asking Twilight for a solution... I'm not sure what to think of this, I should take it as Ponyville acknowledging Twilight's usefulness or should I think bad about the Major and the corresponding authorities for not being even considered to fix this issue... Or maybe they just went with Twi because she is the closest thing they have to a Pinkie Pie expert. *shrug*

JfO0t.png

You came to the wrong neighborhood applebucker!

The thing is, Twi decides is time to be the hero again and try to fix this mess, except that she doesn't know anything about whatever Pinkie mentioned...

Now I know some of you called this a Deus Ex but it doesn't strike me as such, what I do think is that the whole thing was unnecessary... I mean, It has been shown before that Twi has knowledge in the library that she doesn't know about (from the elements of Harmony to Cutie Pox just to mention a few) and while she loves doing research it's kind of hinted that she hasn't read every single book in there. So why undercover the story solving tome into a secret compartment? It could be any regular book and I'd be fine with it... Why did they feel like giving the book some importance, like... The fact it's hidden makes you think it's a recollection of text, history and research that for some reason were supposed to be kept hidden... Now this random book gains an aura of importance and makes me wish it would be of relevance in future episodes, but it's more than obvious that this isn't going to be the case.

Damn, now I'm also wondering if there was info about Parasprites in there... Maybe even dragons! *metaphorical table flip*

The same happened with the "Pinkie Twice can't remember names" thing, it seems to be relevant for the episode... But it gets forgotten halfway when Pinkie teaches her clones the name of some of her friends... I assume that was just a quick recap though and she was a little more informative offscreen...

Anyway, the book Spike found tells the story of the pond/pool and even comes with a handy spell to vanquish the duplicates back to where they came from... Except that the spell will make no distinction between duplicated and real so they must be careful about what they aim it for (which... kind of means the spell isn't related to the pool at all and it's more like regular banishing magic with a direction attached to the end >_> ). Twi tries to ask anypony if there is a way to find out who the real Pinkie would be but no one knows... Even Pinkie starts doubting herself after watching not only how her friends don't want to recognize her as real (which TBH, is a rather sensible decision all things considered... Not for Pinkie of course, but from their POV it is) but the other Pinkies claiming to be the true one... This ends up with her experiencing an Heroic BSOD which drives her to an odd inversion of the Cloning Blues trope, where the original is the one actually going through it

7eweS.png

This is scene is heart breaking in so many levels... Just think about it...

Things look... Grim I guess... As the Pink swarm parties through the whole place, Twi and Spike wonders how are they going to do when they find a sad Pinkie moping about something, obvously this can't be the real Pinkie but a suggestion made by it kicks the events that would lead this episode to it's end...

Now please bear with me while I state this part is what pretty much breaks the whole thing for me... You see a moping Pinkie doing nothing and consider there is no way she can be the real one because Pinkie would never sit still for more than 10 seconds... And then you agree to make a test where is pretty much granted she is the one who is going to win (or at least have more chances than what you give the real Pinkie)!?

Just...

That...

Sense?...

*metaphorical table flip*

Ahhh... Now! I know some of you might say it makes sense since it's clearly shown that the fakes are shallow beings who only care about FUN, but if that were true what does that say about Twi thinking that the only one acting different could not be Pinkie?

Ugh... Anyway... Twilight manages to gather all the Pinkies (in another great moment, going back to show AJ's prowness, AB helping her and the secret but FUN animal house) and... No... Wait... She didn't manage to gather all the Pinkies because the real one was missing... So if it weren't for Dash the plan would have gone wrong?...

Okay... Okay.. So Twi presents the test in question, a contest of watching paint dry! The only one who is able to keep herself from being distracted by the funny wins! The others are punished with extreme prejudice! And so, in a magic display what would make any grimdark fic author's mouth water, foam and maybe spit rainbows only 2 Pinkies remain (oh man... Seriously... What if a Pinkie made tickles to the real one?... Just.... Aaaagh...), it seems like it's going to be a tie (kind of... Showing this plan wasn't really that well thought at all--- OH COME ON EVEN PINKIE NOTICED THERE WAS A CHANCE SHE COULDN'T... gkljkgjsgkl) until once again, Rainbow intervenes and points something FUN making the last fake Pinkie (I'm assuming Pinkie Twice since she seemed to have some degree of self control and spend more time around the original one to know her) move and meet her explosive fate...

After being the only one left Pinkie realizes she was the real her because she's the only one of the Pink swarm who couldn't stand to lose her friends forever just for FUN's sake... After nice moment of relief Pinkie sends a letter to the princess and decides it would be for the best to lay down the parties for a while and just drops asleep on the floor.

Also, Tom saved the day! o/

I know some of you can hear it... I can hear it too... It's the sound of the clickety clack of keyboards being mashed, writing the next big piece to be featured in FIMFiction... This episode comes with... I'd say tons of fridge horror/logic whatev but I'd be doing an injustice to this peculiar piece so I'll just say it has a tiny iceberg, or one of those places where they store meat at the very least...

You shouldn't think too much about this one, otherwise you will be pondering things... Things you shouldn't look into...

Like the pond's very existence... Why there was a book on it? Why it was hidden? Was that place used before? It probably was! Otherwise why would they leave a note saying they could send an innocent pony there? With what purpose was this thing used? And how does Granny Pie know so much about this sort of thing!?

This episode also makes you think about cloning and the existence and value of an artificial life, you had some half-baked copies of Pinkie raiding the place but they seemed to be sentient enough, Pinkie Twice seemed to hold more thoughts in her head than FUN (even if that was her driving force), all of the Pinkies had enough self control to hold back for minutes staring at a wall, none wanted to leave the place they just discovered... The place they were born in... Then you have the fact there is a purple unicorn who so... She inflated them and made them explode into dust at the slightest sign of any of them being distracted... That's... Harsh...

And in this days, many artificial lives were destroyed, just because they were annoying?

Man...

This could be the beginning of Twi's decent in many fics.

Oh man...

FGChi.png

There isn't really that much to talk about (except for one) but let's see what I can squeeze...

Twilight was downright creepy in this episode, I've explained why.. And all it takes to twist her actions into some genocidal madmare who'd stop at anything just for the sake of science (or magic) is a little push...

For example, if Twi was shown using dark magic at any point of this episode it would have been... quite disturbing... A single effect could turn her into a Sombrero in the making... A single shift into what the show tried to tell us about her leaves so much... "not so nice" possibilities...

I'm still trying to process about what I saw of her today...

Of course, there is also the other side of the coin, the spells she did at the beginning were probably a second attempt to the mouse/horse (carriage horse... pony... oh my) spell she did at The Gala, it could also mean she never bothered to cure the animals because the spell wears off after a time. The time she starts vanquishing Pinkies left and right could be interpreted as that she figured things out the moment Pinkie Prime mentioned the test, but she just wanted to give her a scare and test how far she would go to be with her friends (by going against her hyper nature and just standing still doing nothing no less).

But enough fanwank! What this episode actually showed us is that Twi wasn't in her 100% this episode, doing some rather lacking plans and the like, I've already complained enough about that and I don't feel like repeating myself so I won't.

Also, the spell she was working on looked quite useful, I wonder if at some point in the future I will get to mention how useless Twilight Sparkle Is?

Rainbow was chilling during a big chunk of the episode, and it's kind of nice to see her working in the weather, it's even nicer to see she warmed up to the more quiet ways of having FUN.

She also seemed to be the "go to" mare when it came to solving the multiple Pinkie's issue at the end, by being the only one taking action when the paint staring contest was getting stale.

Applejack was okay, she didn't do a lot... But I like to think she was blowing up some steam when she was herding the pinkies.

Pinkie: Oh, they wanna play chase! This is FUN too!

*AJ pushes Pinkie*

XD

It's also kind of unrelated but it was nice to see her family there too, from Apple Fritter (pretty cool background pony, surprising she isn't popular at all) to Big Mac and giving a little focus to Apple Bloom (even if she didn't get to speak at all here)... Oh, and Winona was there too!

Fluttershy was freaking adorable, I loved how she promised to not have FUN to not freak Pinkie anymore and then she goes ahead and does it anyway! She even apologizes when she couldn't just hold herself back and HAD to have FUN with her animals (Harry is best bear BTW). Kind of odd we didn't have a sad reaction when Pinkie blamed her for whatever she did but that's okay...

Also, kind of neat the idea of the animals having a secret house in the Everfree, whoever came up with that is a genius since it's not only a pretty cool place to hang out, but also works as a shelter, or maybe an outpost, or a hiding place in case any predators would roam the area. It also made me think about certain pet fanfic but I don't think it's worth mentioning it, nor the brigade behind it. :V

And yes, if you didn't notice in the episode review, I freaking loved her indignation moment. XD

Obviously this episode focused on Pinkie and it showed us a lot of shades of her, the clones made a nice contrast to the general vision one has about the party pony and how this aforementioned pony actually behaves, it also shows some of the developments she went through over the course of the seasons carried over, like being considerate to Dash when she just wanted to sleep. (her quiet FUN was adorable)

I also find hilarious how pretty much everything her friends do (be it hard work, a tea party or even sleep) is FUN for her, as long as she gets to spend some time with them. (kind of makes me think the paint plan could have backfired too if the other ponies tried to participate too, whoops!?)

And yes, the moment she breaks, there is something to be said about the psyche of a happy sugar high pony who crushes at the idea of her friends not wanting to party with her... This episode kind of reinforced that. Most of the time Pinkie looks like the pony who could laugh at everything but this kind of situations (the way Discord dealt with her also come to mind) show a... Quite fragile side of her, like... She is a glass made of sugar or something... And it's the kind of things that makes you want to hug the poor mare... Or creep you out (if you get a Party of One kind of breakdown).

And last and (as weird as it sounds coming from me) least we have Rarity, who did nothing but wear a fabulous dress... But why?...

Oh! Hi there Fancypants! What are you doing in Ponyville of all the unfashionable places?

Oh... Business trip? Makes sense, I guess... Oh well...

(Also, she loves cucumber Sandwiches... Now someone go make a Prof Pickle rant with her voice! >_> )

ITkzi.png

155779__spoiler-s03_spoiler-s03e03_tom_artist-fign01.jpg

oxcgn-metal-gear-11.jpg

So... Any closing words?

As I said way at the beginning it was both a brilliant and dumb episode, it's kind of cringe worthy for me to say this... But it's that the episode does so many things right in the background... So many call backs, so many great poses and uses of stock animations, so many mentions and little hints here and there that makes Ponyville feel alive and how most of the things that happened... Actually happened and weren't forgotten.

And all of this mixed with a main story that either deals with some main characters holding that ball or you are facing with... Industrial sized fridge horror/logic or some quite effective paranoia fuel...

Good thing you guys are having FUN though... I can't... I wen't bellow that point long time ago... Now I'm going to cry myself to sleep...

*goes to watch the funnies at Derpybooru*

All's right with the world!

ps: Can't shake the feeling I'm forgetting something...

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot the hypocrisy nod... But there was something else too...

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 4

FUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUN

lol

This man right here is the original brony! xD

Edited by Prince Solaris
  • Thumbs Up 3

That was a great episode, for reasons that I'm sure Pinkamina detailed exhaustively so I'll just defer my opinions to whatever post he made on the subject.

Also:

155463__safe_pinkie-pie_animated_too-many-pinkie-pies_spoiler-s03e03_mouse_carnivore.gif

And

155803__safe_applejack_big-macintosh_image-macro_too-many-pinkie-pies_spoiler-s03e03.jpg

Mac's expression (which I missed in the episode) sells it.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

That was a great episode, for reasons that I'm sure Pinkamina detailed exhaustively so I'll just refer my opinions to whatever post he made on the subject.

You know it!

inb4 grimdark fanfics where it's revealed Twilight picked the wrong Pinkie

Well, the episode was fun.

Which is all I wanted.

Funfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfun

• Thumbs Up 4

Watching the new episode again, I can't help but wonder with all the foreshadowing in the first two episodes if Spike finding that book in the secret door will also have big implications later on in the season, being more than just the deus ex machina that it initially appeared to be. And could we see more of this as the season goes on, possibly with little hints to something in each episode? I think we might.

Speaking of subliminal messaging in an animated series, who didn't see this coming?:

pinkiesinhats.png

And I just now noticed the Regular Show EGGSCELLENT trucker hat. AWESOME.

EDIT:

155463__safe_pinkie-pie_animated_too-many-pinkie-pies_spoiler-s03e03_mouse_carnivore.gif

I watched that about five times and thought, oh how cute. Then it finally dawned on me what happened there.ohmy.png

Edited by Snatcher2047
  • Thumbs Up 7

My first post! Hopefully this goes okay. ^^ Anyway I've been a fan of the ponies for a while now, but not exactly how long. I'm only up to Season 1 right now, since I don't like Youtube and would rather watch them all on DVD. Just got 5 more episodes to go until I can watch Season 2. My favourite Pony is Rainbow Dash. But I like all the mane 6, apart from Twilight. Also, Derpy.

I was doing some searching I found about this. Anyone know it's about and what episodes it's featuring?

http://www.hoyts.com.au/movies/details/my_little_pony.aspx

Thinking about going to see it tomorrow. But if it's just episodes from Season 1 I might give it a pass.

My first post! Hopefully this goes okay. ^^ Anyway I've been a fan of the ponies for a while now, but not exactly how long. I'm only up to Season 1 right now, since I don't like Youtube and would rather watch them all on DVD. Just got 5 more episodes to go until I can watch Season 2. My favourite Pony is Rainbow Dash. But I like all the mane 6, apart from Twilight. Also, Derpy.

I was doing some searching I found about this. Anyone know it's about and what episodes it's featuring?

http://www.hoyts.com...ittle_pony.aspx

Thinking about going to see it tomorrow. But if it's just episodes from Season 1 I might give it a pass.

First off, let me start by saying welcome to the forums! I remember when I got into My Little Pony, and luckily enough, I got into it about a week or two before the season supreme.

As for the MLP in theaters thing... well I'm can't help, seeing as how I don't live Australia (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's where I believe this is, right?)... and I haven't heard of this until now. Sorry. ^^;

First the Canterlot Wedding Alternate Ending, now this:

This fanbase knows how to freak me out sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 6

First the Canterlot Wedding Alternate Ending, now this:

[/media]

This fanbase knows how to freak me out sometimes.

Oh man, that was creepy... Dammit Tiarawhy, if he/she's not creeping me out with her... interesting works, she's creeping me out with her eerie flashes.

Anyways, is it just me, or are anti-bronies starting to become more malicious With them reporting many tumblrs (Or so I've heard) and them griefing the Brohoof server to the point of them having to shut down. Good god, it seems as the series goes on, they become more vicious! O_o

It's assholes like these that make me afraid to admit my pony love in public.

Oh man, that was creepy... Dammit Tiarawhy, if he/she's not creeping me out with her... interesting works, she's creeping me out with her eerie flashes.

Anyways, is it just me, or are anti-bronies starting to become more malicious With them reporting many tumblrs (Or so I've heard) and them griefing the Brohoof server to the point of them having to shut down. Good god, it seems as the series goes on, they become more vicious! O_o

It's assholes like these that make me afraid to admit my pony love in public.

And now it seems they've DDoS'd the mlpforums... And what about tumblrs? Well, as long as they don't become crazy enough to attack me IRL it's all just simple tricks, even so one of the guys in our group is actually a bodyguard with MMA, training much to my surprise, so they'd have to be pretty ballsy/crazy/taking the internet too seriously to even try that.