Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

The Psychology thing was a little TL;DR so I'll just observe this quote.

In short, being a brony infuses an otherwise plain and boring life with this exciting embattled minority narrative: you feel a sense of purpose, a sense of righteousness, and a sense of belonging to a noble cause.

Well, yes I do find life to be plain and boring at times... I dunno, it's sort of a ADD/Artist thing that some will go through, but sometimes I really do wish something very unusual and outrageous would happen. But I just suck it up, deal with it, and keep a mental note of all the outrageous things that could (never) happen, in case I want make a story out of it.

Though really, the whole "Watching due to feeling like I have purpose" is pretty stupid if you ask me. Yes, I am a cartoon nut, because I do find real life boring. However, it's because it's a well made show, and if it were stupid (or if I found it mediocre) I wouldn't watch it just because I dislike real life so much.

Also, I can feel enough sense of purpose and righteousness without watching some show, video game or reading a comic. To feel that way just because of any of those things I mentioned is pretty silly if you ask me.

I dunno why so many people are agreeing with this observation in the comments, but eh, maybe it's something I can't see.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings
  • Thumbs Up 5

I don't know why people look into it so hard, it's a good show spread by the internet in fad form.

The reason bronies generally analyze and over-analyze is because people get excited, see something that interests them, then break it down, and finally want to spread this information. There is so much buried in the show, and plenty of it is intentional (by the animators, storyboard team, and/or writers). In other words, the creative staff WANTS these deep analyses. These nuances give the fandom and team deeper insight and more respect for their creations than before. If the show wasn't analyzed so closely, then we wouldn't see some crazy, yet well-done, material such as
during "The Smile Song" or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVfidujxRg.

Two people, one of them me, explained why MLP:FIM is as good as it is these days and why the Internet raves about it.

http://mlpforums.com..._20#entry262656

http://shagbark.live....com/60866.html

But the journal Solaris linked? There's one thing to analyze and do it well. But there's another to do it poorly. This user overanalyzed and did it very poorly. Quite honestly, I don't understand why he's getting words of agreement, and the statement Rulz and Lyra quoted is facehoof-worthy. I'm not so sure he understands one bit about the community, size, and background. There's been ongoing research of bronies by professional phychologists (and the ongoing research was featured at BronyCon Summer 2012), and it does a much better job at analyzing the community than this user's essay.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well I didn't mean the show itself really, I mean why do people look so much into bronies. Like just about everyone I've seen that have taken the time to watch a few episodes understand that it's pretty well made and the characters are likable (those who don't like it seem to shrug it off and go "well ok, it's just not for me"). Bronies don't have some crazy disorder or mishap or something just because they like the show. I mean some could and some probably do, but to say that the millions of people that enjoy this show are all seeking approval and what other reasonings that psychologist and others try to pin point is a waste of energy if you'd ask me.

Then again I watch Batman because I feel like I need to get in with my inner desires to be a successful businessman by day and the passion to dress up in public by night.

waynes-world-not.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, this sort of talk kills my boner for the show. It's one thing to say "Oh this show has generally excellent writing for a kid's show!" or some other explanation, but to analyze a show down to the roots so that eventually you're just drawing conclusions out of seemingly nothing, that's when I draw the line. Why do you have to draw asinine conclusions using psychobabble that few like and even fewer understand? You can't lump the brony fandom (or any fandom for that matter) into some sort of singular explanation that you "realized" after your fifth psychology class. Everyone joins a fandom for their own, different reason. It's not like as a collective bronies are thoughtful intellectuals that were drawn to the show because of its complex plots and subtle nods to other media, nor are bronies reclusive shells that need messages of tolerance and friendship to pull them out of their suicidal trance.

It's a decent show, and people are drawn to it because of that. I don't get what is so hard to understand about that. Do bronies feel a need to justify their love of a certain show? Does posing deep psychological and philosophical questions in the vain of discovering meaning behind a children's show really do anything meaningful? You tell me.

As for the show, it's okay. The show itself is less than the sum of its parts, by that I mean Spike is hindered by the rest of the cast. As a whole I'd give the show a 6/10.

But if it was "My Little Spikey: Spike is so fucking Swaggable" I'd give it an 11/10.

All I can say is that Admittedly, I do think that it does add some excitement to some people's lives because of the constant material that's pumped out every day, and how there are always several meetups based on it... but as for it adding fulfillment or a sense of elitism? No. A thousand things have to go wrong with your life before MLP is the sole reason you haven't offed yourself and if I wanted to watch something to be some in-the-know elitist, I'd watch something like Jersey Shore or Family Guy which have an immense popularity among mainstream society, unlike MLP which just has a smaller but strong fanbase.

I think We're only looked at so much by the general public because of MLP's reputation from the 25ish years before G4, which was tea parties and new dresses for 22 minutes, they think that's what we watch. If more people at least knew that that's not what the show is anymore and how it's more akin to PPG or Dexter's Lab even if they never watch an episode then I doubt many people would even pay attention to this fanbase. But of course, there's still the ones that think that cartoons should not be watched by people over the age of 13 or how pink shows should not be watched by anyone with an appendage between their legs but they'd do the same for people that like Sonic or Kirby too. Either way it seems we will still be a fascination/disgrace to others.

The main fascination is not why the show is so popular, but why an active community like this has sprung up from out of nowhere. Hell, I like certain other shows more than this one and I'm nowhere near as into their fanbases as I am with this one. Not even I know why I'm so into this fanbase, I just am and I really don't care why, seeing how much fun I have in discussion with others about it and the various meetups I've been invited to lately. But it's definitely not to make my life worth living or so I can spout crap like "I'M 20% COOLER!!!" all the time.

In short, I just like hanging out the people I've met through the fanbase and doing things that may or may not be pony related. And I watch the show for the same reason I like Regular Show: because it's great. The only reason anyone would care is because I don't think my penis should make others tell me not to watch it, (should they ever find out I like it) and they do think so. But I don't see it as me actively fighting for a noble cause or anything. Just me doing my own thing.

Prediction regarding the next episode.

It will objectively be the best episode of the series, because there will be an insane amount of Pinkie Pie.

Seriously though, the concept of the episode seems to be a reference to something from G1, so I wonder if there will be any other nods in Saturday's episode to previous generations? I know they're not very popular with FiM fans, but hey, G1 from what I've seen isn't too bad!

I also wonder which pony Pinkie will share the episode with. Considering the way the show works, at least one of the other main characters will probably share the spotlight to some extent. I'm predicting Rarity and Fluttershy due to that one clip of Pinkie making that, uh...interesting face (if you've seen that clip, you know the one), although that assumes that said clip is from this next episode. Not to mention they might just be there for the sake of the joke. I can see Twilight playing a part. I mean, Element of Magic. Magic Mirror. Yeeeeah.

Edited by elementofchaos7

ToS Trolls finally got around to getting Molly pulled from tumblr.

Pinkie%2520Popcorn.png

Saddle up folks. This is gonna be a hot one.

Edit: Nevermind. It's back up already. lulz

Edited by Tornado

Do bronies feel a need to justify their love of a certain show?

When people are maligning them just for liking a cartoon, then yes. Very yes.

Hey guys, you know what time it is?

It's time for...

154564__safe_animated_princess-cadance_shining-armor_epic-wife-tossing_fastball-special.gif

He's never going to live this down is he? laugh.png

Today we have a Pinkie Pie episode! And an episode that really doesn't seem to point in any direction that is not zany and over the top FUN! Sounds like an S3 Lesson Zero to me.

Anyway! What kind of things can we expect from this one? How did Pinkie learnt to multiply herself? Will all the clones start loving and tolerating each other and start raising an army? Will they becomes such a nuisance to the point Celestia has no choice but sent them to the moon where they will write all sorts of messages?

Will we see an hilarious version of the 21 party cannons guns salute?

I could spend the whole morning guessing, but really, I don't want to. It's just too hard and I don't like it that way...

In other news, Itunes got the episode early.

Now, I know some of us are anxious to rip the episode to shreds already but if you are going to dive into the internet and watch the episode before anyone else I beg you to use the spoiler tags, pretty please?

It'd also be great if you could hold til after the episode airs but I don't really want to ask too much of you guys.

Last, but not least, let's leave with some sort of after thought I had from the previous episode!

I like to think all of the mane 6 are OP, some more than the others, some are only OP in a really peculiar way...

So, what makes Rarity OP?

152101__safe_rarity_animated_hat_the-crystal-empire_dextrous-hooves.gif

photo_64536.gif?w=640

ATATATATATATATATA.. WA-TA!

YOU ARE ALREADY FABULOUS.

Consider the fact that pretty much every time she fights she does it with her hooves and how she seems to be surprisingly adept at physical combat and well versed in martial arts, we can conclude that Rarity is The Hoof of The North Star!!!1! and Applejack is Raoh.

No! I'm not looking too much into a simple picture! What makes you think that!? >_>

See ya in a few hours! biggrin.png

EDIT: I just had a brain fart...

35zoii.jpg

What if King Zebra, was a typo for King Sombra?

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 3

inb4 grimdark fanfics where it's revealed Twilight picked the wrong Pinkie

Well, the episode was fun.

Which is all I wanted.

• Thumbs Up 7

inb4 grimdark fanfics where it's revealed Twilight picked the wrong Pinkie

Oh yeah, saw that coming after it was a plot point.

That was a good, decently paced episode.

inb4 g3 face omgogmogmgo

I loved how after Twilight zapped the Pinkies, they inflated like they were in a Rayman game. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but very nice nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 1

Liked it better than the last two eps and it was fun. Though I probably would have preferred the multiple Pinkie's with different personalities or designs than just an army of annoying Pinkies that shouts out a barrage of 'fun' all the time. It would be interesting to see G3.5 Pinkie as its own entity that would have been easily zapped out of existence from the get go. Also, it would have good opportunity to get Pinkamena/Straight haired Pinkie to come back, which would have been interesting. No song with a full Pinkie chorus made me sad. the thought of Pinkie singing with herself would have been neat.

Also, Twilight was pretty creepy in this episode because of the whole turning things into oranges even if it was accidental and the zapping of Pinkies during the paint drying contest. Though I feel like slapping her for not knowing the real one when she was having an identity crisis. The other mane cast were also at fault in not telling the who the real Pinkie is because the real one was showing much more real emotion like sadness because of the situation she is in, than just being a FUN spewing machine. Now thinking about it pretty much all the other Manes purpose was just to advance the plot forward, which it felt a tad rushed. Heck, the whole secret compartment with the book was a contrived deux ex machina or a contrive way to give the chars the information they needed to find the pool. Not to mention they just dropped the secret compartment without explanation and not really expanding on it.

That said there were a handful gags that were amusing especially the stuff in the second half with the paint drying scene and stuff prior. There were a ton of funny faces throughout. It also provides good character development for Pinkie to tone it down a notch. The plot was weak, but not as weak as last week's opener despite it having better Pinkie gags with the spy stuff. Though I'm probably in the minority on this one even as a Pinkie fan.

Edited by AdventChild

Also, Twilight was pretty creepy in this episode because of the whole turning things into oranges even if it was accidental and the zapping of Pinkies during the paint drying contest. Though I feel like slapping her for not knowing the real one when she was having an identity crisis. The other mane cast were also at fault in not telling the who the real Pinkie is because the real one was showing much more real emotion like sadness because of the situation she is in, than just being a FUN spewing machine. Now thinking about it pretty much all the other Manes purpose was just to advance the plot forward, which it felt a tad rushed. Heck, the whole secret compartment with the book was a contrived deux ex machina or a contrive way to give the chars the information they needed to find the pool. Not to mention they just dropped the secret compartment without explanation and not really expanding on it.

To be fair, the mane six hardly see Pinkie Pie be so self conscious and sad, so as they knew, she could have just been like everyone else. It is kinda stupid tho.

Have to say, this episode was really great. So far it's in my top 10 episodes, it was funny. We need more orange animals, they were really funny. Also Rayman Pie.

But I really laughed at this part:

HXZrr.png

So freaking funny.

Also...

6slVo.png

IT BURNS.

That was good episode! I definitely had some laughs throughout it too. I don't think I'll ever get oer how disturbing the G3.5 face that the fake Pinkie made. I liked how the fake Pinkies blew up before going back into the mirror a la Rayman Legends. I'm surprised how the rest of the cast couldn't tell who the real Pinkie was, because it was very obvious from how the different her emotions were from the others.