Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

What I liked about the two-parter is that it's some important character development for Twi.

Twilight's fear of upsetting Celestia has led her to do some pretty weird stuff in Season Two, and those actions lean towards a kind of selfishness. But in this, she learns to put that aside. Doing the right thing came above trying to do what she thought would make Celestia happy.

In effect, Twi's become a stronger person/pony because not only has she accepted friendship but she's also putting trust in Spike.

Edited by Gerkuman
  • Thumbs Up 7

As much as I loved Spike stepping up and being the hero, my main problem with it was I felt there wasn't a proper buildup to it, nor to Twilight's self-sacrifice situation. Spike was just kind of along for the ride during the search for the Crystal Heart and really had no "I have to prove myself to everyone" motivation or something like that in this episode or previous episodes to build upon that made the end result satisfying. It was kind of like, "Here ya go, Spike! You do the work since you're the only other one here." Right place, right time I guess. After going back and watching it again, this episode really feels like a hurried mess. Not the first time I've said that about this show, btw.

#YOU'RETHENEWRAINBOWDASH

• Thumbs Up 4

Sombre, you're a cool villain, but for over forty minutes, you got less screentime than all that gak! Great design and potential, but flat.

And speaking of gak…

1.png

TBH Discord received pretty much the same intro, it just happens that right after that we got to see he was SO MUCH MORE than that... While Sombrero got nothing.

Discord was introduced by Celly saying outright he did some pretty shitty things well before we actually saw him, going so far as to pseudo visualize them; then he showed up soon after and proceeded to start doing really shitty things that progressively got nastier. To wit, even she was visibly shaken the entire time she was running down what was going on to the Mane Six; nevermind her reaction when the Elements were missing or when he started screwing with everyone in the throne room.

Meanwhile, Celly and Luna (particularly the latter) basically treated Sombre like he was just an annoyance rather than a threat before he showed up. Then he was introduced as being a bad guy for no other reason than he looked the part (dark, smoky, bad guy-looking), and when he actually went to do bad guy things (nearly 40 minutes later, with no tension whatsoever building up to it) he was limited to scowling menacingly and making Dr. Claw noises when he went after the mystical MacGuffin that was needed to defeat his nondescript evil. And then he didn't get it, and he lost immediately.

Also:

148797__safe_spoiler-s03e01_king-sombra_crystal-pepsi.jpg

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

Discord was introduced by Celly saying outright he did some pretty shitty things well before we actually saw him, going so far as to pseudo visualize them; then he showed up soon after and proceeded to start doing really shitty things that progressively got nastier. To wit, even she was visibly shaken the entire time she was running down what was going on to the Mane Six; nevermind her reaction when the Elements were missing or when he started screwing with everyone in the throne room.

Meanwhile, Celly and Luna (particularly the latter) basically treated Sombre like he was just an annoyance rather than a threat before he showed up. Then he was introduced as being a bad guy for no other reason than he looked the part (dark, smoky, bad guy-looking), and when he actually went to do bad guy things (nearly 40 minutes later, with no tension whatsoever building up to it) he was limited to scowling menacingly and making Dr. Claw noises when he went after the mystical MacGuffin that was needed to defeat his nondescript evil. And then he didn't get it, and he lost immediately.

Okay, 2 things.

1) I disagree about being any differences about Discord and Sombrero's tale, the black unicorn was also introduced as being able to do some shitty things and we didn't have to visualize anything because they actually showed us how his kingdom was.

The only differences I see here is that they (by the way they acted around this issue) added that Discord/NMM were higher in the power scale and how the lack of princess action was explained by Celestia thinking the ponies can do the job just fine on their own (heh, Sombrero is like a Dragon or the Diamond Dogs) instead of being just useless (or in NMM case, not wanting) to vanquish the evil of the week.

But yeah, Celly did show us how evil he was, what the show didn't... show was what he was able to do (nor what his powers really consisted about) but that was demonstrated through the episode in the way of little but mischievous traps here and there, maybe the scale of his evil really falls short compared to a queen of a locust army, an omnicidal Alicorn and the God of Chaos but still... It showed us that at it's best Sombrero was cunning and could have been (and kind of was) a competent opposition.

2) But that's it! And here is where we agree... Sombrero was nothing more than a fluff, we never got to see him do bad things in the present, he came and went before he could even do anything but growl and that was where my disappointment comes from.

Which brings me to the very paragraph you quoted, the only difference between him and Discord/Chrysalis/nightmare Moon is that the other 3 got to show us a lot more about themselves, their powers, their abilities and all in all how evil (and what kind of evil) they were in the present (also, they had personality but that's not the point you were trying to make).

Also...

... and when he actually went to do bad guy things (nearly 40 minutes later, with no tension whatsoever building up to it)

I don't get this part, so the black cloud thingy constantly hanging near the city and slowly but surely infiltrating it didn't built up anything?

That doesn't really look all that different from the other "things are progressively getting worse" situations the other villains presented (except with Nightmare Moon, where I felt the tension was almost nonexistent).

Yeah... this sums it up quite nicely:

the_confrontation__s3_spoiler__by_theflashguy-d5ko0fr.jpg

Pffft I knew I was forgetting something, love that comic. laugh.png

EDIT: Man... I could swear I mentioned all this reply post covers in my review but it turns out I didn't...

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't get this part, so the black cloud thingy constantly hanging near the city and slowly but surely infiltrating it didn't built up anything?

That doesn't really look all that different from the other "things are progressively getting worse" situations the other villains presented (except with Nightmare Moon, where I felt the tension was almost nonexistent).

I'll let CoffeeGrunt speak for me:

This episode didn't have a fight sequence. It didn't have a big boss monologue, nor any form of battle against him. It didn't have a rising tension or imperative feeling for Twilight to grab the Crystal McGuffin, Cadence just sorta blew a fuse in her horn, and the bad guy rolled in. It even had only a couple of really feelgood or sappy moments. It just lacked a flavour.

That fair seemed mostly irrelevant, and felt like an attempt to rustle up a culture in a flash. Still, the plot did revolve around "suddenly a magical place appears directly alongside an irredeemably evil force of evil so Twilight must go save the day while the Princesses do whatever they do in the background."

There were moments, but they came and went in a flash with no aftertaste. Pinkie Spie, Spike's vision, those are the only ones that really stand out atm. I mean, the Discord episodes were nowhere near perfect, but the NMM episode did have a nice twist after the Elements were destroyed. This had no twist. Grab a McGuffin to kill the omnipotent evil and save the magical place.

First episode had everyone encountering challenges that suit their personality, then it had the elements failing when Twilight goes to use them (until she later rolled the dice on them anyway).

Discord episode had the Elements being stolen, then him taking out the characters one by one as they search for them, then Twilight being corrupted herself before the letters happened.

Wedding Episode had EPIC BATTLE TIME, then they show up to get the Elements but get ambushed and captured until a Huey Lewis Song plays.

The closest this episode had to their being any similar tension was Spike falling down stairs, which was taken care of with a visual gag (Extreme Wife Tossing) rather than any seriousness put towards it.

It didn't play out like a progression of events. It played out as "Twilight found the MacGuffin immediately before it was actually necessary, so fair dos."

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay, this is just a theory. But I think it's pretty feasible.

I think EVERYONE agrees Sombra was defeated way too easily. Is there any chance that perhaps he WASN'T defeated, and perhaps the finale of the season will feature him again? Just a thought.

Okay, this is just a theory. But I think it's pretty feasible.

I think EVERYONE agrees Sombra was defeated way too easily. Is there any chance that perhaps he WASN'T defeated, and perhaps the finale of the season will feature him again? Just a thought.

It isn't beyond the realm of possibility; for all we know, he could be pulling a secret gambit and will try to undermine Equestria subtly.

Though it doesn't change the fact that this season starter could have had more meat.

This episode that I watched over livestream chat are crystals worth.

PP being her crazy self on a new level, the return of the Friendship Express, new villain, three songs and more.

Shining Armor shows himself after being under the hypno spell under the wedding.

Two episodes are not enough to cover of the history of the Crystal Empire and the Crystal library, but maybe we will see more in a possible two part ending.

The two parters seems to be made in a rush, but that's why we have Fimfiction to expand the Equestria history.

King Sombra was awesome as a mysterious creature who mostly roared.

More AJ and Rarity two best ponies together yay!

That improved animation.

Did not know Spike was so good at ballet, while Rarity makes art only with hooves.

The episode reminded me of Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

At last S3 looks so awesome with those spoiler clips.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that Sombra was probably the coolest villain in the series. Not the best (that's Discord) but definitely the coolest. I'm not entirely sure why, though. Despite getting no character development, I like him a lot more than Nightmare Moon and Chrysalis combined. Not as good as Discord, but he's close. Again, I'm not entirely sure why, I just like him a lot. I really hope he appears again later.

As for the episode itself, it was good. It's no Return Of Harmony, but it's miles better than the mediocre Canterlot Wedding and the slightly better Mare In The Moon. Unlike the wedding, it focused more on all of the Mane 6, despite it focusing on Twilight the most. Also, this episode gave me that epic feeling that was missing from the Canterlot Wedding. And it has King Sombra. That's an important point to mention. However, for some strange reason, as I was watching this episode, I discovered that I honestly don't really like Cadence. As with me liking Sombra, I'm not sure why, I just don't like Cadence. Shining Armor, on the other hand, is good.

You see, as a villain, I think Sombra was perfect. He was threat, menacing and all that. Really, it's just character he lacked and if some of the stuff we've seen in regards to season three are correct, it's not impossible for him to come back. OA and a few others brought up a good point.

His horn is cut off early on. Later on, it's grown back. When Sombra explodes, the horn flies off, still intact. So it really isn't a stretch to say he could come back through regeneration.

We all know the animators are anything but lazy so i could definitely see them doing that on purpose to hint at the isea that we'll see more of him and if a certain piece of art is true, we most certainly will.

I mean, he completely filled his purpose as a villain. He is probably the coolest and most evil villain in the series aesthetically he was less of character and more of a force of nature like the smooze. In a way, it makes him seem more threatening. Unlike Crysallis, NMM and Discord, the whole episode isn't "They're causing trouble. STOP THEM!". it's more like "He's close to causing trouble again. DON'T LET IT HAPPEN!".

Cereal explained it in a really good way.

This is all I'll say about King Sombra, because he's a divisive topic.

From a purely character-based standpoint, there's nothing wrong with this guy as a villain. He comes in, enslaves the Crystal Empire, and that's it. We honestly don't need any more than that, because he does his job and gets out of the way. Sets up the conflict and leaves.

That's nice and all, but it does leave us wanting. I have absolutely no doubts that, given more time, this character could have been fleshed out into something more real and meaningful. The fact is, though, that he wasn't. Not even a little bit. We don't get a whiff of a hint for his motivations, personality, background, or his relationships to any of the other ponies. It can be argued that, even in the episode, he wasn't that threatening because of the way he was chosen to appear- as a shadow and more of a vague 'threat' than something we could grasp onto as viewers.

That's why I choose to believe, having faith in the writers, that King Sombra was never meant as a deep character. He was, instead of a villain like Discord, chosen to be a representation. What exactly that representation is depends on who you ask, but it could be any number of things, even something as simple as just plain 'evil'. I have absolutely no solid evidence for this line of thinking, but I think it explains his role pretty well.

The bottom line is that the story isn't about him. It's not even about what he was chosen to represent. It's about Twilight and her friends, and in storytelling you tend to spend the most time on the important stuff, which is what this episode did. And I think it was a smart choice.

I am not really sure if he was supposed to be a representation but if he was like anything, it was a force of nature. But either way, like Cereal said, the story wasn't about King Sombra. This two parter, unlike the others, seemed to be more about setting up an overarching story rather than the villain.

Speaking of overarching story, also from Cereal's recap of the episodes:

"She WILL succeed at her task, and when she does, we'll know she's that much closer to being ready." - Celestia: 2:25

The symbols behind the Princesses and Twilight: 5:15

"Behold, the Crystal Princess!" - random crystal pony: 37:07

Cadence's Cutie mark IS the Crystal Heart. (This pretty much confirms that Cadence is the descendant of the last ruler of the Crystal Empire before the Evil King showed up. Also begs the question if the throne holder truly remains the same, or if they pass on their rule once in a while.)

The book that Luna's holding in the end: 40:58

The writers and animators are most definitely not getting lazy, in fact this kind of subplot is rarely seen even in more "mature" shows.

Could it be that this was planned the entire series? That her lessons on friendship, her missions to save Equestria with little to no help from the princesses, could this all be one giant story-arch to being ready for "it"?

I also really like this.

2577437132.jpg

And this.

areyoucrystalis.png

Any Sombra ask tumblrs yet?

EDIT: Saw this in the comments of Cereals recap. I liked it and felt it had to be added to the post.

From what I've seen, most people seem to think the premiere was excellent except for King Sombra. Courtesy of immblueversion from Behind The Voice Actors, here's a really interesting analysis of his character. It certainly changed mymind:

"He did nothing besides roar, scream and snarl, and he barely talked. He hardly showed any personality or clear motivations. He didn't actively plot against the heroes. And he didn't live past two episodes.

But did he really have to?

You see, King Sombra has more of what many MLP villains thus far lack: presence. It was his presence alone that made sure the Crystal Ponies remained miserable. It was his presence that kept them from remembering where the Crystal Heart was, or going to the one place it was hidden because they were too scared of him. Just by being there, Princess Cadance was left to suffer for days on end, even with her beloved Shining Armor by her side.

And even then, he still tried to make sure the heroes didn't have their way. He took away Shining Armor's powers, causing Princess Cadance to suffer even more. He left traps that those without the courage and wits to stand up to them could not pass. And even though he wasn't always physically present, his influence remained, and it left a very heavy impact on everyone who dared to stand against him. He also managed to do what no other villain on the show has done before: make Twilight swallow her own pride as a means to defeat him.

From everywhere he went to everywhere his name was merely mentioned, he caused nothing but pain and suffering. And not a single one of us knows why.

And yet there are those who have called him 'wasted potential,' just because he barely talked or took action, had no clear characterization, and didn't live up to any of our lofty expectations. But I'll be fair; even I expected him to be Sauron as he was before he was slain by Isildur, not Sauron as he appeared in the whole 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.

Sometimes, less really is more. That is why he is, to me, a far greater villain than any of us could have ever anticipated."

He goes on to say:

"Now that I think about it, each of the major villains thus far represents a different 'element to writing a good villain' and, in a way, makes up for what the others lack in those regards:

Nightmare Moon: Good backstory, makes her more sympathetic.

Discord: Good personality, makes him more fun to watch.

Queen Chrysalis: Good motivation, makes her actions mesh better with the plot.

King Sombra: Good presence, makes his threat more apparent."

And yes, it's very good to be back! :D

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 4

*I just had to repost/reload this thing twice because of a storm over here, so please bear with me...

I'll let CoffeeGrunt speak for me:

*post*

First episode had everyone encountering challenges that suit their personality, then it had the elements failing when Twilight goes to use them (until she later rolled the dice on them anyway).

Discord episode had the Elements being stolen, then him taking out the characters one by one as they search for them, then Twilight being corrupted herself before the letters happened.

Wedding Episode had EPIC BATTLE TIME, then they show up to get the Elements but get ambushed and captured until a Huey Lewis Song plays.

The closest this episode had to their being any similar tension was Spike falling down stairs, which was taken care of with a visual gag (Extreme Wife Tossing) rather than any seriousness put towards it.

It didn't play out like a progression of events. It played out as "Twilight found the MacGuffin immediately before it was actually necessary, so fair dos."

Okay, so you are saying that there wasn't a twist that made you feel at the edge of the seat and make you think the villain had the upper hand at any moment?

I can give you and Coffee some credit for pointing Nightmare Moon had this (I totally forgot about that scene XD). But as useless as Sombrero was this episode also had those moments, each and every trap he put gave the feeling that he still could win the moment Cadence's magic ran out. The moment Twi uses dark magic to open the door and gets into the lotus eater machine (which as I mentioned, in any other series or time I would have eaten that up and wondering how harsh things were going to get for the protagonist) is at the same level as the time Nightmare destroyed the stones since it clearly states Twi failed in whatever she was supposed to do (it isn't until after the commercial when it becomes quite obvious everything is fake because, why the heck would Celly put a stained glass of her epic defeat? tongue.png ).

And after that Twi gets to the MacGuffin but she still fails to get it because Sombrero had another trick in the place and then you had another moment where (even if you knew everything was going to turn alright) the dark blob was in control of the situation.

The side story of the fair showed the Crystal Ponies getting slowly more and more desperate to see the heart, the moment the thing is revealed to be fake most of them start to freak out and it isn't until the pink Alicorn gets it that they are able to pull out their trick.

Then you had the Spike little heroic moment and where he almost falls, you mention this as a not so serious situation and I can give you that, since contrary to the other encounters the way the villain was defeated here lacked a meaning... Nightmare Moon showed that the ponies living in harmony with each other was what let them do the impossible, Discord proved that friendship is not something easy to keep but worth fighting for, Chrysalis showed us that love can conquer everything .. While this one had nothing of that.

What did have a meaning was the test, which message was one about being selfless and put the well being of those near to you over your own glory. (which kind of makes me think this whole episode could have been done as a one part without Sombrero at all, and that at the end Sombrero could be seen as more padding than what was supposed to be padding itself XD)

Also, that thing about Twi finding the MacGuffing before it was needed doesn't sound right, since Sombrero was there messing up with everyone indirectly. The need to get the heart was from the very beginning of part 2 when Cadence had her first power failure and the Crystal Ponies began to get restless. I can give you that everything got resolved before Sombrero even got to the city but saying there wasn't any risk of anything happening nor a need to get the heart just doesn't sounds right.

Though it would have been cool to see Sombrero doing some curb stomping before Spike got the heart. Just to make his danger more tangible (and you know, make Shinning's hilarious solution feel a little more desperate).

OH GAWD, my sides...

*Finland.gif*

Still on the fence on whether I found the original scene totally awesome or totally stupid.

28000450.jpg

There is a link in the picture BTW.

Edited by gato

I feel I didn't touch on King Sombra enough in my initial episode review, but almost don't want to now, knowing I'll probably just repeat what a lot of others have already said, but here goes anyway...

Forget character development, forget lack of dialogue, forget motivation. My number one problem with Sombra? Lack of a threat. It may be a little unfair to do so, but let's compare him to previous major (aka 2-parter) villains:

1. Nightmare Moon - Wanted to cover the land in eternal darkness because she digs the dark and hated the light and the love it received. Would have completely changed the world's climate and killed all crops and probably ended all life in Equestria, if you look at it from a scientific view. Probably not her intention in the big picture, but what might have happened. Probably just as powerful as her sister, but probably let her ego be her undoing and Celestia barely defeats her.

2. Discord - Wanted to turn the whole world upside-down and into a world of chaos and insanity because, well... he's a dick. AND HE (temporarily) SUCCEEDED. Temporarily turned some of the closest of friends against one another and if he remained more focused in his plan, probably would have completely succeeded.

3. The Changelings - Oh come on. They wanted to EAT THE F'N PONIES. Their leader completely overpowered Princess Celestia and damn near succeeded in the complete overthrow of Equestria and it's people. Add in the fact that they have the ability to take the form of any other pony, and you have quite possibly the most dangerous villains of all.

4. King Sombra - "OH HI guys! Just gonna crash your party here and take over agai---OH NOES CRYSTAL HEART." *dead*

Yeeeeeeeeah. Didn't really leave much of an impact there on your second go around, did you?

Other than that, the whole he's a bad guy so he's evil and he's evil because he's a bad guy thing just doesn't work on me anymore. After seeing what other villains are capable of in this show, he just came up short. I found the literal Timberwolves from a previous episode more threatening and imposing than him.

In his back-story it's revealed he treated the Crystal Ponies as slaves. Well, yeah, that's pretty bad... but why did he do it? I think if there was some reason he did it JUST TO the Crystal Ponies and no others (such as the crystals give him his power) there might have been more reason to feel the impact on the Crystal Ponies from his rule. But they decided to leave out any rhyme and/or reason to his madness, which I feel makes him less threatening. In the long run, he just comes across as a big bully.

Edited by Snatcher2047
  • Thumbs Up 7

Wow, was Sombra really that bad a villain?

And all this season 3 talk has made me realize that I still need to freaking finish season 1.

It's more like they could have done more with him if anything. He still has a chance to get better if they decide to use him later on in the season, but his first appearance could have been more meaty if anything.

Well I'm not going to post a long review due to the fact that it be pretty redundant because most of you have already stated what I had to say. To sum it up, I thought it was pretty good. It had a lot of funny moments (which is half of the reason I watch the show) and the animation was great. I think King Sombra was easily one of the weakest villains to date and, because of this, brought down the entire two parter. What the mane six are trying to accomplish is squarely based on this guy and we don't even know how bad he really is. He get's little to no back story and only two lines of dialogue. He could of been replaced with a really bad storm and the episodes would lose nothing of value.

Though, I have heard talk of an actual story line this season so I'll leave my final judgement on him towards the end of it all. Overall though, I did find the episodes enjoyable and it was a pretty good start to the (still too short) season.

OH GAWD, my sides...

148992__safe_animated_princess-cadance_shining-armor_the-crystal-empire_fail_epic-wife-tossing_fastball-special.gif

GO MAKE ME A SANDWICH!!!

Still on the fence on whether I found the original scene totally awesome or totally stupid.

tumblr_mdbtbnWCZK1r1zv65o2_500.png

Dude, when I first saw this gif I was rolling! Why did Shining have to throw her in the first place? XD

• Thumbs Up 1

]Wow, was Sombra really that bad a villain?

Not so bad after me.

Sombra had many names in the summer like Donut Steel and Crystallion.

0.jpg

Edited by Applejack1973

Screenshot from the preview clips.

150224__safe_princess-celestia_horse_spoiler-s3unknown_horses.jpg

Looking at these horses again, I don;t think they're actually as jarring as I first thought they were.