Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

It could certainly work. Pretty much anything can so long as the writing is good. If you're not sure how to write for a certain character, then I would recommend going back and watching some episodes where they're in the spotlight. Take notes if it helps you, keep tabs on some of the more obscure mannerisms and personality traits. You'll probably do just fine, but if you still have doubts then try downsizing their role a bit, bringing them in only when absolutely necessary.

I'm going through a similar thing with my own fic-in-progress. I'm not really a big Rarity fan, partly because I just have a hard time connecting with her. I don't "get" the character, so I'm partly tempted to not include her at all. Except, I think she'll need to come in at some point, so...hmm.

Funnily enough, I was thinking of doing that. Even if I do do that though, I still might mess up their characters. I haven't written any fiction in a while. The last work of fiction I wrote was over a year ago and it was a story about Halo... and it wasn't very good. Of course, I'm going to put more effort into this fanfic so it should be a little better.

Edited by Grimchi3f

But anyway, I have an idea for a fanfic I might write. I've had this idea for weeks but I haven't written anything yet because I still need to work out the kinks of the story in my head and because I'm afraid I'm not good enough at writing to convey the story I have in a good way or to keep the characters in character. Basically, my story would be a crossover with Sonic. It would take place directly after Sonic Generations and A Canterlot Wedding. I was thinking of writing it in sections sort of like Sonic Adventure 2: a Hero Story, a Dark Story, and a Last Story. The Hero Story would be from the perspective of the Mane 6 and Sonic & Tails. The Dark Story would be from Eggman's and Doctor Whooves for a little bit (there's a good reason for this I swear!). The Last Story would be from everyone's perspective. Only Sonic characters involved in the main story are Sonic, Tails, and Eggman.

What does you guys think of this idea?

I would definatly be interested in reading it whenever you finish it.wink.png

I do have a soft-spot for this particular crossover.tongue.png

Since you're interested in it too, I would highly recommend this fic right here: http://fav.me/d4amr0d

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a lot of stuff to do right now so I'll try to get done with this as quickly as possible (watch me fail at it).

FoEnd.png

Episode 1: The Same Thing With a Different Name

So... This thing is replacing The Playlist today, but it's not so different from the original idea so let me explain.

* The idea was to limit myself to a number of 14 tracks per list (because I think that's enough to make a nice list or a CD) but I'll most likely not be able to fill this quota because some brony musicians just aren't able to release so much music. (maybe I'll show 2 artists that day? I dunno).

Back when I was doing the first playlist I came to the conclusion that the 14 tracks per list rule was going to bite me in the flank when I tried to cover awesome artists like Alex S. And by that I mean artists who are awesome enough to deserve some exposition but never got to release the required number of tracks to make a list... And this is how I came up with this idea.

So what is B-Side? Every 5 episodes of The Playlist I'll release this alternate version of my weekly music posts showcasing more than one artist at the time, artists that have appeared already in The Playlist but keep releasing new stuff may appear here too (I'll try to avoid this, but we have 2 cases of this today mellow.png ), artist who appear here might also get playlists in the future (I'll also try to avoid this).

You might have noticed that the Playlist/B-Side frequency is kind of odd... Why do I post so little from B-Side? Well, while making this first post I've realized that most of the musicians I chose were playlist worthy (next 2 weeks we'll have some of these cases), and I had to spent more time than what I expected finding the right ones to show... It wasn't so much time... But it was more than what I'm willing to spend. :V

On the other side, this posts give me a lot more freedom to chose what to post than The Playlist, and while I expected to stop making the aforementioned music posts once Season 2 starts (or after 15 of them, whatever comes last) I think I'll actually keep posting things from B-Side, maybe leaving The Playist for the every once in a while album release (so the situations kind of switch).

Okay, I think that explains my weird and unnecessary logic behind this post, so let's get started shall we?

The first musician I want to show you is a guy with a pretty cool voice and a pretty unique style (and by unique I mean not WUBWUBWUB)... Get ready to feel things from the great Donn DeVore!

01 )

I'm not sure what to compare this track to... It's a style that I personally haven't heard in a while (last time I remember something like this was from U2), anyways, this track is awesome and one of my favorites from the Seeds Of Kindness collab. (BTW, go donate there if you haven't)

02 )

We switch genres and go full country with another favorite of mine (well, pretty much all of them are favorites, otherwise they wouldn't be there :U), a 2 and half minutes song compressing the entirety of The Last Rounderp, and it's unbelievably awesome!

I really love this one! It makes me smile whenever I hear it. biggrin.png

Next comes a brony who has been pretty much all over the place in the last weeks... Please open your ears to hear the awesome tunes from Lenich.

03 )

As I said before this one has been everywhere, and it really surprised me (heh, the way it spread makes me think it took the whole bronydom by surprise) because before this one the only track I knew from him was a (quite awesome if I might say so) Hydra Pulse remix.

But this one... This one deserves all the attention it gets, the music style (that kind of fits with the setting), the singing, the little joke about the track lasting 3 minutes and 14 seconds (see what they did there?) this song is full of win and the oly reason I'm not media tagging it it's because you probably already heard it way too many times already. :U

And now, coming back from the very first playlist... jesse Carlson!

04 )

There is a bit of a backstory to this song BTW, there is this Austrian band called No Refunds who asked Jesse to cover one of their songs (one of the members wrote the lyrics too), and of course our Ska powered brony delivered (and how!)

I find this one to be.... Quite chaotic... But Jesse's instrumentation and voice really make this one shine.

Now lets hear about a (I guess) new face in the fandom that quickly went way up in my list of brony musicians, please welcome TripleBlueShell!

05 )

There are many musicians in this fandom that are good at this kind of music (I believe it's called glitch) like SoGreatAndPowerul, PinkiePieSwear and many others... And in this segment of the fandom this guy appears and delivers 2 awesome (and pretty unique in my opinion) tracks in a row... This is actually the second one...

06 )

And this is the first one...

In my opinion The Pinkie Pie Quartet is one of the best things that have happened in the last weeks... Just listen to this one... It's one of the most unique Smile remixes I've ever heard. (as a side note, gotta love the attempts of the fandom to come up with names to the other members of the quartet laugh.png )

Next, let's take a trancey trip... With Modus!

07 )

Not pony, but why waste a chance to link to something related to one of the most beloved SEGA franchises? <3

I love this one, we need more SoA love.

08 )

But I'm supposed to link to brony musicians right? and of course Modus! delivers in this area too...

This track is... Hypnotic... And the video helps to convey this sensations for me...

After that little acid trip, now I present you a new guy... Appeared out of nowhere (or that's how I saw it) and released 2 amazing tracks making the whole process of making great pony music look like an easy task (which is not)... Enjoy from the awesome beats provided by Crackleepohcal (though I call him Peacock)!

09 )

This track... Is amazing...

To grab something cute and childish like the Twi and Cadence's secret handshake and make it into something (arguably) badass... I have no words to describe how epic this is.

I also find amazing how with some little editing and without the context the whole handshake really sounds like something you would hear in a pony club.

10 )

But if the previous track doesn't convince you of how good this guy is... Take a look at this one, using Rarity's whining (of all things) and making a song out of it...

Truth to be told I think the whole intro hurts my ears... But the fact he made something listenable out of this speaks volumes.

Next comes a musician that doesn't release a lot of stuff, but when he does, it's freaking amazing... Get ready to party with Contempt!

11 ) Winter Smash Up

I really wish I could break the media limit for this post... Contempt is the only artist in this list who is having 3 tracks shown and he freaking deserves it, this is one of my favorite WWU remixes.

12 ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izM481aXr8Q

Contempt (in collaboration with Newfoundland Element) is also releasing non pony related stuff under the name of Kurosake, and yes, it's awesome.

This one gives me some serious Life As We Know It vibes (that is something good BTW)

13 ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dty-AcSKbtU

I can't believe it's not a Tombstone remix!

As much as I love Tomb, this is a really nice change of pace.

And finally to close this post, an artist who needs no presentation...

But I'll present him anyways! Back from playlist no.2, is General Mumble!

14 ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKvLqPAljA

ACROSS THE DARK AND VAST GULF OF THE INTERNET... THE GENERAL MUMBLES SOFTLY...

This has been a list of changes I guess, we've seen someone turning The Last Rounderp into a song, a brony turning Smile into something jazzy, a new artist turning a secret handshake into a club worthy track, a remix of Discord that doesn't sound like Tomb's one...

I guess the most fitting way of closing this is letting Mumble turning Fluttershy's cheering into this incredibly piece of pure headbang!

Also, let this be another proof of Flutterstep's superiority to all the other kinds of steps.

And it's like this that we conclude B-Side, it took me almost 6 hours to make this (yup, failed)... But still, it was damn worth it (and I hope you can agree with this).

Next week we'll come back to the traditional playlists, hope you can join and listen to Episode 6: Flutterstep is Best Step.

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 5

So, this is going to seem completely random and out of the blue, but I've been thinking about how much I enjoy this show and its fandom.

What happens when the show ends? Will there still be uber-dedicated fansites ten years after the series finale? Will people look back on FiM as a revolutionary show that inspired thousands and challenged gender stereotypes, or will we all just look back and say "Remember that pony fad in the 2010's? Man we were weird." For that matter, how long will the show last? A couple more seasons? A decade? Could there ever come a time where we wind up with a Simpsons-style scenario, where people start calling for its cancellation because it hasn't been good in years (For the record, I think The Simpsons has gotten a bit better recently)? Obviously this is nothing we have to worry about yet. I just can't help but wonder where the future will take FiM.

Of course, I highly doubt the MLP juggernaut will end with FiM. But where do they go after that? Do they make some other show that tries to appeal to bronies, or will they go back to making shows solely for little girls?

Thoughts?

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, this is going to seem completely random and out of the blue, but I've been thinking about how much I enjoy this show and its fandom.

What happens when the show ends? Will there still be uber-dedicated fansites ten years after the series finale? Will people look back on FiM as a revolutionary show that inspired thousands and challenged gender stereotypes, or will we all just look back and say "Remember that pony fad in the 2010's? Man we were weird." For that matter, how long will the show last? A couple more seasons? A decade? Could there ever come a time where we wind up with a Simpsons-style scenario, where people start calling for its cancellation because it hasn't been good in years (For the record, I think The Simpsons has gotten a bit better recently)? Obviously this is nothing we have to worry about yet. I just can't help but wonder where the future will take FiM.

Of course, I highly doubt the MLP juggernaut will end with FiM. But where do they go after that? Do they make some other show that tries to appeal to bronies, or will they go back to making shows solely for little girls?

Thoughts?

Edited by Wayward Vagabond
  • Thumbs Up 4

I would definatly be interested in reading it whenever you finish it.wink.png

I do have a soft-spot for this particular crossover.tongue.png

Since you're interested in it too, I would highly recommend this fic right here: http://fav.me/d4amr0d

I've just started reading that and so far it's pretty good. There are some things I don't like about the story so far (of course, I'm only on chapter 2 so maybe I'm a bit too nitpicky) but overall it's good. However, one of my ideas for my story was a race between RD and Sonic. I just hope when I write my fic that people won't think I'm stealing the idea (even though it's not a very original idea to begin with).

Edited by Grimchi3f
  • Thumbs Up 1

However, one of my ideas for my story was a race between RD and Sonic. I just hope when I write my fic that people won't think I'm stealing the idea (even though it's not a very original idea to begin with).

Well, considering the personalities of both characters (moreso Rainbow Dash), I would be surprised if they didn't race.tongue.png

I guess the important thing would be the build-up to the race, and ofcourse the race itself.

...I mean seriously, most Sonic/Pony fics are basicly:

-"Hi, I'm Sonic and I'm fast" -"Hi, I'm Rainbow Dash and I'm fast too" -"Let's race!"...mellow.png

I'm personally hoping that once g5 or g4.5 (if the series is ending on the 3rd season like many are speculating,) comes around that they don't ruin the good thing they have going with My Little Pony. I doubt bronies will die out once the series runs its course, personally. Even if G4.5/5 sucks, I'm sure the fanbase will still live fairly strong, there are plenty of fanbases I've seen that are like that whether the series either ended or just plain sucks. I honestly think it's too soon for the show to end at 2 and a half seasons... I'd give it at least two seasons before putting it to rest before it gets stale.

Edited by Speederino

My biggest fear, which admittedly will probably never happen, is that a few years after FiM ends they announce some spin-off or follow-up show that specifically targets the older demographic, a la Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon. And no, for the love of all things holy I am *not* imagining they would ever do a show where the mane 6 drop blatantly sexual innuendos and try to get laid. But I could imagine them doing something like an Adult Swim show that focuses on darker humor and embraces the lack of censorship. Maybe. I admit even that might be a stretch, because I'm sure Hasbro wouldn't want to drive parents into a frenzy or discourage little girls from buying their toys...then again, Hasbro also owns a certain movie franchise that features pot brownies, people getting peed on, half-naked supermodels and "deep wang". So maybe there actually is reason to fear this.

I don't know. Point is, the family-friendly approach of FiM is one of its biggest strengths. To get rid of that would ruin a whole lot of what drew us to the show to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah it's one thing to have perverted fanboys doing that shit, but what I liked most about this show is that it appealed to me without having to resort to generic fart jokes or some character having to shank someone, and rather just did its own thing with a family friendly approach that didn't make me cringe and flip the channel after 2 minutes. On the very very slim chance they make a G4.5 with the mane 6 acting like sluts and trying to get some cock at da club every weekend cuz YOLO then that's it, I'm out. I like my sweet, innocent Fluttershy, Bookworm shut-in Twilight and nonslutty party girl Pinkie thank you very much. But I think Hasbro knows better than to appeal to the dark side of the fanbase. The closest they should come to appealing to older fans would to have a spinoff series along the vein of Daring Do Adventures with the same atmosphere as that episode.

As for duration, I would usually say to give a successful show 5 seasons, maybe 6 at max or risk making it go stale. I would say that maybe if people are really paranoid about it going stale then maybe after season 3 they should give it a bit of a longer hiatus than normal and then come back with a bang. The problem is that I think the season 2 finale was so good that they really gotta pull something huge out for the true series finale and I'm not liking the idea of Season 3 being only 13 episodes long and even the probable series finale. I'd also like a movie (which I think A Canterlot Wedding should've been).

I gotta admit that one fake news article that came out 2 months ago really scared me. The one that said that Hasbro decided to cancel FiM because a lot of little girls were finding tons of clop online and their mothers called Hasbro to complain about why they would support the fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah it's one thing to have perverted fanboys doing that shit, but what I liked most about this show is that it appealed to me without having to resort to generic fart jokes or some character having to shank someone, and rather just did its own thing with a family friendly approach that didn't make me cringe and flip the channel after 2 minutes. On the very very slim chance they make a G4.5 with the mane 6 acting like sluts and trying to get some cock at da club every weekend cuz YOLO then that's it, I'm out. I like my sweet, innocent Fluttershy, Bookworm shut-in Twilight and nonslutty party girl Pinkie thank you very much. But I think Hasbro knows better than to appeal to the dark side of the fanbase. The closest they should come to appealing to older fans would to have a spinoff series along the vein of Daring Do Adventures with the same atmosphere as that episode.

As for duration, I would usually say to give a successful show 5 seasons, maybe 6 at max or risk making it go stale. I would say that maybe if people are really paranoid about it going stale then maybe after season 3 they should give it a bit of a longer hiatus than normal and then come back with a bang. The problem is that I think the season 2 finale was so good that they really gotta pull something huge out for the true series finale and I'm not liking the idea of Season 3 being only 13 episodes long and even the probable series finale. I'd also like a movie (which I think A Canterlot Wedding should've been).

I gotta admit that one fake news article that came out 2 months ago really scared me. The one that said that Hasbro decided to cancel FiM because a lot of little girls were finding tons of clop online and their mothers called Hasbro to complain about why they would support the fanbase.

A Daring Do spin off or something along the lines of that would be pretty awesome, just so long as it doesn't get too violent or edgier... Around a Y7 rating at most would be good.

My optimistic side is hoping that season 3 is not 13 episodes long... Or if it is, they're starting to go with shorter seasons, as some are speculating. Dunno why the would do that all of the sudden, but oh well.

Whoa, where'd you see that article? I'd probably be freaking out as well if I saw that, XD Good thing it was a fake,though.

That scenario actually kinda worries me. So far everything has been quiet on that front, but there is absolutely nothing preventing a seven year old girl from seeing the words "My Little Pony: Cupcakes (Official HD)" on Youtube and clicking on it. Or seeing a thumbnail featuring ponies and clicking on some little video called "shed.MOV". All it would take is for one concerned parent to call a news station. I mean fuck, look at what happened when one person on the internet complained that Derpy was offensive. Imagine what would happen if there was an even bigger controversy and Fox News caught wind of it.

Actually, let me rephrase that first part. There is nothing preventing kids from seeing this stuff except for parents and what they do with their browser's parental settings. But we all know better then to think parents might actually take responsibility for monitoring their children's internet browsing. After all, it's not their fault if their kids see something that wasn't meant for them in the first place, it's our fault for not being perfectly family-friendly at all times. dry.png

Edited by Speederino

A Daring Do spin off or something along the lines of that would be pretty awesome, just so long as it doesn't get too violent or edgier... Around a Y7 rating at most would be good.

My optimistic side is hoping that season 3 is not 13 episodes long... Or if it is, they're starting to go with shorter seasons, as some are speculating. Dunno why the would do that all of the sudden, but oh well.

Whoa, where'd you see that article? I'd probably be freaking out as well if I saw that, XD Good thing it was a fake,though.

Yeah nothing too over the top, just in the same vein as the Sapphire Statue story.

And I'm talking about this fake story. I had totally forgotten it was april fool's

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-never-forget-my-little-pony2.jpg

*post*

That is the most cruel April Fool's joke I have ever seen. I am very glad I never saw it, or I would have flipped my shit.

That is the most cruel April Fool's joke I have ever seen. I am very glad I never saw it, or I would have flipped my shit.

Eh. EGM's "Unlock Sonic and Tails in Melee" one circa 2001 was worse.

Unrelated:

blondie____my_little_pony_by_andypriceart-d53ad2e.jpg

Linky.

(Edit: lololololol I forgot to actually put the link)

Why, you can just have ALL OF MY MONEY, good sir. If it wasn't past Midnight and the movie wasn't 3 hours long, I would go watch it right now.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

We've all wondered at some point how ponies can pick things up with their hooves.

MYSTERY CRACKED!

• Thumbs Up 2

We've all wondered at some point how ponies can pick things up with their hooves.

MYSTERY CRACKED!

*vid*

...So... The ponies have coffee in their hooves? ...Yup, I approve of this theory.tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

...So... The ponies have coffee in their hooves? ...Yup, I approve of this theory.tongue.png

Earth Pony, Unicorns, Pegasus Pony, Coffee Pony. Sheesh, haven't you paid any attention at all?

Though all ponies have a little in their hooves, yes.

• Thumbs Up 3

That scenario actually kinda worries me. So far everything has been quiet on that front, but there is absolutely nothing preventing a seven year old girl from seeing the words "My Little Pony: Cupcakes (Official HD)" on Youtube and clicking on it. Or seeing a thumbnail featuring ponies and clicking on some little video called "shed.MOV". All it would take is for one concerned parent to call a news station. I mean fuck, look at what happened when one person on the internet complained that Derpy was offensive. Imagine what would happen if there was an even bigger controversy and Fox News caught wind of it.

Actually, let me rephrase that first part. There is nothing preventing kids from seeing this stuff except for parents and what they do with their browser's parental settings. But we all know better then to think parents might actually take responsibility for monitoring their children's internet browsing. After all, it's not their fault if their kids see something that wasn't meant for them in the first place, it's our fault for not being perfectly family-friendly at all times. dry.png

True, but Internet sites like Google and Yahoo Image searches can be bad just typing Care Bears and a shit ton of rule 34 type shit popped up on the first page with the safe search and all that on stuff. sleep.png

EDIT: Just saw that April Fools and I am only not surprised that could actually happen? ohmy.png

Edited by BW199148