Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

What started off as a modest goal of $20000 (that was met in like just 2 days too)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/257527888/bronycon-the-documentary

Ended with a whopping $322022!! Holy fucking shit this fandom never ceases to surprise me. And just the fact that 6 people actually gave $10000...god damn. Well with over 16 times more money than they'd originally planned I imagine that this will be some pretty high quality shit. I wonder exactly what they will show in it. I trust that the staff know what they're doing, John De Lancie, Tara Strong, Lauren Faust and whoever else.

Edited by Prince Solaris
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hope I never meet anyone this obsessive over anything ever, cause man... thats just scary.

• Thumbs Up 2

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FQO_NKBiQQ&feature=g-all-bul

10/10

changed my life

throws up

I can't really be bothered to watch the entire thing... Worst I saw were a few stereotypical nerds here and there and a couple of parts that kinda creeped me out like the guy singing at the beginning... Does it get worse as it goes on?

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope I never meet anyone this obsessive over anything ever, cause man... thats just scary.

Yeah I think that is it as well, I am really glad I don't get too obsessed with things like I used or that I am more self-concious about it, nowadays. smile.png

I can't really be bothered to watch the entire thing... Worst I saw were a few stereotypical nerds here and there and a couple of parts that kinda creeped me out like the guy singing at the beginning... Does it get worse as it goes on?

Yes the guy at the end is pretty.... defensive. wacko.png

Edited by BW199148

I do get obsessed, but I wont really proclaim my love for anything I just enjoy it like I would anything else I love. Admittedly, My Little Pony's probably the most obsessive I've ever gotten in a fanbase, but I don't really let it blind me from anything else that I enjoy.

Like I said before, whenever I use the term "obsession," it's different than what it usually means. I would call it a mood for (Whatever i'm a fan of) than a true obsession.

Edited by Wayward Vagabond
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just wish more people would treat it for what it is... a damn good TV show and nothing more. And my friend wonders why I never want to go to conventions (of any kind) with him.

• Thumbs Up 4

Personally I'll wait for the real 1/3 million dollar documentary. That dislike bar isn't looking very attractive and it seems that even the fandom is backlashing too in the comments. I can't be bothered to sit through more of what may be like BPH or the mcdonald's unboxing(at least he apologized) what goes on here? It seems like a typical convention of insanity...

I just wish more people would treat it for what it is... a damn good TV show and nothing more. And my friend wonders why I never want to go to conventions (of any kind) with him.

That is it, but people seem to go way beyond that, basing nearlyall their other interests around it. Not just in this fandom but others there is a funny quote from the movie Seven that reminds me of these kinds of people.

"I've been trying to figure something in my head, and maybe you can help me out, yeah? When a person is insane, as you clearly are, do you know that you're insane? Maybe you're just sitting around, reading "Guns and Ammo", masturbating in your own feces, do you just stop and go, "Wow! It is amazing how fucking crazy I really am!"? Yeah. Do you guys do that?".
Edited by BW199148

The part of that video that frightened me the most was the part that showed the voice actors. I have a ton of respect for them and even more now watching them being able to interact with those people and do it happily and with a smile. I realize it's something that goes with the territory of being a part of something with a huge fan base, but I'd just love to hear some of their (the voice actors) conversations with each other AFTER the conventions.

The good news is that the video probably does show the minority of the fan base, as crazy as it is. I still remember that one convention video where a fan drew a picture of Celestia for her voice actress, Nicole Oliver and how overjoyed she was by receiving it and even gave the guy a hug. Now that's what I like to see from the fan base.

Edited by Snatcher2047
  • Thumbs Up 8

Well, to be fair, MLP is a toy franchise that has a really damn good TV show to go along with it now; there's definitely something fun and addictive about collecting various figurines, cards, and other pieces of merchandise related to the things that interest you (I would be lying if I said I didn't have a small MLP collection right now). There's also some fun to be had in going to events related to your interests, however if the conventions don't suit your fancy then you don't have to go.

However, the world is filled with crazies, and some of them are bound to be interested in the things that interest you whether it be sports, movies, toys, cartoons, etc. It's like an unwritten law of life at this point

Edited by Pinkamena
  • Thumbs Up 8

The funny thing is that I work with someone who's into a lot of things I am (haven't asked about MLP yet, LOL), but he's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY into things I'm into. When we start a conversation about said interests, he goes off on a total rant sometimes and I find it difficult to even keep up or even want the conversation to continue. I sometimes stop and question myself about the whole thing, but then I realize there are just different levels of fandom and I'm sure that there would be people who would think my level of interest in certain things would be above and beyond healthy, even if in my own eyes it doesn't seem that way. Like you said, it's just the way things go.

• Thumbs Up 2

... I have no words.

...Wait, I know about strip poker, but strip chess? ...Huh.

I wonder if strip chess would become a game now since of THAT drawing

So. Andrew W.K. found this:

And all fanbases have nutjobs in them.

ohmy.pnglaugh.png Now THAT'S what I want to see in the MLP:FiM fanbase. And if A.W.K. is in our fanbase, then that second statement couldn't be any more true. LOL

I don't understand how you can go to most professional sporting events and have people that are willing to /physically assault and hurt/ a person just for liking a different team than them....

and yet most people will act like it's these "hardcore nerd obsessions and fandoms" that have the real issues

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay now I know why, this video will probably do more harm than good, maybe the real "Brony" documentary will show the fan base in a better light but it would probably just lead to more backlash. mellow.png

I don't understand how you can go to most professional sporting events and have people that are willing to /physically assault and hurt/ a person just for liking a different team than them....

and yet most people will act like it's these "hardcore nerd obsessions and fandoms" that have the real issues

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 2

I really hope so. I hear people say, "These people don't even represent the whole fandom"

But I need to disagree, this is all I see coming out of the fandom.

Someone has yet to prove to me that they're not all like that.

Edited by Wayward Vagabond
  • Thumbs Up 7

I really hope so. I hear people say, "These people don't even represent the whole fandom"

But I need to disagree, this is all I see coming out of the fandom.

Someone has yet to prove to me that they're not all like that.

• Thumbs Up 6

Frankly, I think it's stupid to stereotype a fanbase, period. Doesn't matter if it's bronies, furries, anime fans, trekkies... fanbases are diverse. A vocal minority does not necessarily reflect everyone.

Generally speaking, I think FiM is one of the better fanbases I've participated in over the years. Members seem friendlier toward each other (Though of course not always), and the fan-created content never ceases to impress me. Yeah there is indeed a side of the fandom I refuse to touch with a ten foot pole, but that's true for every fanbase ever.

• Thumbs Up 4