Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

I have no idea if this actually has anything to do with FiM, but Diablo 3 has an...interesting...secret level.

http://www.ign.com/w...o-3/Whimsyshire

"Rainbows and unicorns". That does sound like it could be inspired a bit by ''My Little Pony'', but im not sure if it's inspired to FiM in particular as much as the franchise in general.

It probably doesn't have anything to do with My Little Pony. It's a reference to the backlash against Diablo III's graphics, which predates FiM by... a while. I kind of lost track once I stopped paying attention to D3's development, but it was ages ago.

Not that there couldn't be some residual MLP influence there, but that's probably just a product of My Little Pony's status as the little-girliest thing most modern adults are peripherally aware of.

Edited by Octarine

Nothing to see here guys, but I hope you get to hear something...

B2vwm.png

Episode 2: March of the Pigs

It's nice to see bronies releasing so much good music lately (seriously, some of the last 3 or 4 music posts on EqD where awesome), it gives me hope that I'm not going to run out of things to posts after episode 6 (which is as far as I've planned, for reals).

But enough chit chat, you haven't come for this (actually, I'm pretty sure you didn't come to read this particular post either, you just happen to want to know what's going on in the ponyworld and accidentally crashed with yet another post of mine), today's artist is one of my personal favorites, a guy who has released so much awesome stuff that I could actually do 2 or 3 lists if I wanted to (and I might want to keep that in mind), today we talk about General Mumble!

01 )

Kind of lacking on the Octavia side though...

As I mentioned before, I will try to begin each post with a remix of FiM's theme, and this one here is one of my personal favorites, if there is something I like about Mumble, is that most of the stuff he remixes is actually different to the original (instead of being the same thing with a different instrumentation)... This one (and others I shall list here) is a good example of that, seriously. what he makes with the originals is nothing short of great.

I should probably mention too, that this one has unintentionally become "The Vinyl Scratch Tapes" main theme (or so I've heard, truth to be told I never paid attention to the live recording).

02 & 03 ) Wings and Horns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW4dvvAADes/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-vgVkpIGdI

AKA, An almost perfect tl;dw of Return of Harmony.

I'm usually not a big fan of this kind of tracks, the ones that directly uses lines from the show (without turning them into something else) usually I feel they end up getting in the music's way (or relegating it as an unfitting BGM), but this one... I'm not sure why but Mumble makes them work! The fast paced music gives me some serious

vibes, and I'm not ashamed to say that anything that remotelly reminds me of Naganuma is prone to be loved and downloaded/purchased and sometimes molested.

04 )

Keeping the pace from the last tracks, this one is yet another piece of music that uses lines from the show and somehow doesn't sound horrible.

05 )

Or as a Youtube commenter put it, angry sex to the ears.

Oh man I love this one! It's so freaking action-y! (that part at 2:30 makes me want to break stuff)... If this one doesn't make you feel hot blooded (and I mean like... Pinkie Pie hot blooded) then that probably means you are a reptile (or you don't like this kind of music) but don't worry, reptiles are cool in my book. wink.png

06 )

Now, let's take a break from all that fast paced music, here is something a little calmer... A remix of Fluttershy's modeling theme (and once again, one of my favorites Fluttermodel remixes out there) and a nice theme for ending for both Season 1 and Clop (one of Mumble's albums).

Yet this list is far from finished...

07 )

Mashup time (while keeping with the calmer pace of Southern Birds), get ready to listen to a... Bunch of stuff that sounds good together.like AC/DC, Daft Punk, AAF and some brony musicians like sci and Glaze.

08 )

And speaking of bunches of stuff that sounds good together...

This one made me nostalgia all over the room.

09 )

Annd after some little gaming we are back with the ponies, this is for Lesson Zero what Wings and Horns are for RoH.

Tick, tick ticky ticky (>n_n)>

Tick, tick ticky ticky <(n_n<)

I love that little voice in the background.

10 )

I can get high with water while listening to this. (and I'm not so sure i needed the water to begin with)

Remember kids, don't do drugs... Just watch 10 minutes of Pinkie Pie...  Basically the same effect.

11 )

This is a remix Mumble made for Pinkie Cake's EP (titled, Pink Party Machine) and once again (I might sound like a scratched record or your average fangirl) I find the general's version to be the superior one, but that doesn't mean the other versions were bad, you can check the EP here and see for yourself.

12 ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BId0Hm6ESvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BId0Hm6ESvI

Or, Frank Klepacki meets ponies, and like with Naganuma, almost everything related with Klepacki is automatically awesome.

13 ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egY6TO-Q6L4

I've already gushed about this one in the past, and I'm not sure you want me to repeat what I've already said like.. 3 or 4 times in this very same post. laugh.png

So let's wrap this up with an original (and fairly recent) song. (that goes to show you how much I plan this stuff >_>)

14 ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9GQ4Tmz74

This one is so addictive, sounds like one of those old school boss themes (kind of Megaman-ish), but I know it's not just that... Those words have kind got stuck in my brony head after MAGIC.MOV happened, and Mumble making a song out of them obviously doesn't help me get rid of them. >_>

Not that I would want to...

Swag.

And it's like this that we conclude the second episode of "The Playlist", when I use Youtube tags next to Youtube links linking to the very same thing... I had a blast making this one, and as I said before, we have only seen the tip of the Iceberg known as General Mumble, heck, I spent the last weeks trying to get as much stuff from him as I could and I still missed a lot of tracks (mostly non pony ones, like the ones he posts in Youtube or FA)

Hope you can join me next Thursday for Episode 3: Getting Drunker Each Minute.

EDIT: The Diablo thing? I remember some of the enemies having some FiM-esque names but that one could be a coincidence too.

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 2

It probably doesn't have anything to do with My Little Pony. It's a reference to the backlash against Diablo III's graphics, which predates FiM by... a while. I kind of lost track once I stopped paying attention to D3's development, but it was ages ago.

Not that there couldn't be some residual MLP influence there, but that's probably just a product of My Little Pony's status as the little-girliest thing most modern adults are peripherally aware of.

Actually, some Elite monsters' names suggest otherwise, such as:

- Rainbow Western

- Midnight Sparkle

- Nightmarity

- Nightmare is Magic

Also anything that colourful mystical horses doesn't automatically mean it is a nod to this particular show, like Octarine said they were working on this prior to the Pony boom and by time it did this was probably in the final polishing stages when the show became popular. Blizzard do love their pop culture but this might a reference to MLP in general also they good be referencing the Robot Unicorn Attack flash game.

I swear some people look for Pony references in everything.tongue.png

Troll Friend: "Dude I swear my toast looks like Princess Celestia".

Brony: "OMG, 20% so cooler, really?"

Troll Friend: "Hell no I just wanted to see your reaction!".

Brony: "You're a real dick you know that? NO! mustn't say that love and tolerance".

Troll Friend: "Friendship is luzly *starts whistling the Trololo song*".

Edited by BW199148

With a little more digging, it seems that there are only five names for "Elite"(/"Champion") rank Ponies in Diablo 3, four of which are the ones I listed before, and the last one is Generosity in Death.

Since 4 names out of 5 appear to closely resemble others in MLP:FiM, I think it's basically confirmed the developers were at least referencing the show.

Also, quoting the Diablo3 Wiki page:

It's possible that these units are a reference to the My Little Pony Friendship is magic characters Twilight Sparkle and Rarity. In this series the unicorns Twilight and Rarity represent the elements of magic and generosity, respectively.

Rainbow Western may also be a reference to Rainbow Dash and Applejack (she's the pony equivalent of a cowboy). The little ponies also have a fondness for cupcakes, and in the beta emulator, an alternate model for health globes was discovered.

Even further confirmation. smile.png

Troll Friend: "Dude I swear my toast looks like Princess Celestia".

Brony: "OMG, 20% so cooler, really?"

Troll Friend: "Hell no I just wanted to see your reaction!".

Brony: "You're a real dick you know that? NO! mustn't say that love and tolerance".

Troll Friend: "Friendship is luzly *starts whistling the Trololo song*".

You do know that not all bronies follow Love and Tolerance right? Hell, I've heard some say Love and Tolerance never existed, or that it was just some stupid saying... They'd probably rage a lot more in that situation.

Speaking of which, I'm curious, I want to know the opinion of that from someone who's not a brony/fan of the show... What do you think of the bronies that say that kind of stuff? You know "Love and Tolerance Never existed" and "Love and Tolerance was only a saying?" Cause I think that's a load of bull.

Personally, I was a "Love and Tolerater" before I became a brony/fan. Starting that habit just because of a TV show is kinda silly if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 2

You do know that not all bronies follow Love and Tolerance right? Hell, I've heard some say Love and Tolerance never existed, or that it was just some stupid saying... They'd probably rage a lot more in that situation.

Speaking of which, I'm curious, I want to know the opinion of that from someone who's not a brony/fan of the show... What do you think of the bronies that say that kind of stuff? You know "Love and Tolerance Never existed" and "Love and Tolerance was only a saying?" Cause I think that's a load of bull.

Personally, I was a "Love and Tolerater" before I became a brony/fan. Starting that habit just because of a TV show is kinda silly if you ask me.

Er yes I was into this show you know....

It was a joke, I was just exaggerating the "Brony" Stereotype. sleep.png

I'm willing to believe that a lot of people become nicer after becoming fans of MLP:FiM. Looking at something so well made, while so sweet and kind at the same time, must inspire people somehow.

I try to be more of a follower of that "love and tolerance" thing, mostly because I believe people are happier when they complain less and look more at what's right with stuff than to what's wrong. But yeah, it wouldn't be just because of the show. I'm a Christian, so I know the Bible teaches us that too. One becoming more loving and tolerant can be a product of several influences.

Besides, in terms of being kind towards others, the show didn't have that sort of impact on me. I already believed on the same stuff I do today before I ever knew of it. I was just happy to find a cartoon that showed friends solving each problem that came by, and the right way (while also being totally awesome, and colorful, and funny, and musical, in between).

• Thumbs Up 3

In my honest opinion, this fandom is no more loving or tolerant than the general population at large; Rather, it has a pretty diverse mix of people, some of which are quite nasty. I think if this show has inspired anyone to be more tolerant of others, that's pretty great though.

Of course, I think love and tolerance are splendid values for mankind in general, regardless of whether or not they like a show about multicolored horses.

Really, though, I think one's attitude needs to be less "Man, I sure am a kind, loving person" and more "What can I do to be more kind and loving?"

Edited by Egghead
  • Thumbs Up 6

Love and tolerance seems to be an something that is followed by not most bronies, but still a lot. Or at least they SAY they do that. Personally, I've always considered myself a loving and tolerant person from the start although not without my imperfections and occasional hypocrisies in that department, but ever since the fandom's constant spouting of L&T, I've become much more aware of it. I guess in that sense it has made me not magically L&T suddenly, but certainly a lot more aware of when I'm being an ass and reminding me to not be like that. So you could say that it has made me more aware of my already existing L&T I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty much all fanbases are is highly schizophrenic, but in different ways. In the case of the brony community, i do find that one thing that really divides it's members is their level of embrace of the whole "love and tolerance"-thing. On one hand, many bronies do seem take that mantra seriously. On the other hand, the fact that the fanbase began on 4chan means that that sites typical rude, troll-like way of behaviour can still be felt in parts of the fandom, with many members for instance going to videos of the older MLP-cartoons on youtube and flooding them with mean spirited catchphrases like "OUTDATED GENERATION! KILL IT WITH FIRE!". In fact, i'd say that it is in it's treatment of the old MLP-franchise and it's fans that the brony communitys supposed "love and tolerance"-thing tend to be most forgotten. It's understandable that bronies dislikes that old MLP-stuff since they are constantly being associataed with it by non-fans, but the extent to which some bronies go to "prove" that they are not into that stuff is ridiculus, like registering on the "old" MLP-fanbase message boards just to spam, or sending hate mail to people who worked on the old cartoons. I wonder if the fact that for a person to do something like this and then whine when others dont show tolerance towards his interest is highly hypocritical even occurs to these people...

• Thumbs Up 3

Pretty much all fanbases are is highly schizophrenic, but in different ways. In the case of the brony community, i do find that one thing that really divides it's members is their level of embrace of the whole "love and tolerance"-thing. On one hand, many bronies do seem take that mantra seriously. On the other hand, the fact that the fanbase began on 4chan means that that sites typical rude, troll-like way of behaviour can still be felt in parts of the fandom, with many members for instance going to videos of the older MLP-cartoons on youtube and flooding them with mean spirited catchphrases like "OUTDATED GENERATION! KILL IT WITH FIRE!". In fact, i'd say that it is in it's treatment of the old MLP-franchise and it's fans that the brony communitys supposed "love and tolerance"-thing tend to be most forgotten. It's understandable that bronies dislikes that old MLP-stuff since they are constantly being associataed with it by non-fans, but the extent to which some bronies go to "prove" that they are not into that stuff is ridiculus, like registering on the "old" MLP-fanbase message boards just to spam, or sending hate mail to people who worked on the old cartoons. I wonder if the fact that for a person to do something like this and then whine when others dont show tolerance towards his interest is highly hypocritical even occurs to these people...

• Thumbs Up 1

Case in point, brony racism.

Draw a humanized version of anyone in the cast, and make them anything other than white. Then watch hordes of FiM fans unleash racial slurs, and even highly detailed arguments that rely on stereotypes (i.e., "All black people act like this, so clearly this character can't be black").

In fact, I'll just let these speak for themselves:

tumblr_m1pj89qNCI1r2yxu9o1_1280.png

tumblr_m1gwzcR3Je1qmkdmco2_500.png

tumblr_m328x1SzqD1r2w685o3_1280.png

And there are hundreds- if not thousands- of similar examples throughout the fanbase.

I find it incredibly interesting that most of the above are the same sorts of fans who loudly clamor to be accepted for watching My Little Pony, whilst shunning others for the color of their skin at the same time.

Remember, of course I'm not indicting the whole fanbase. I did said that many- certainly not "all"- fans did this. But it's a common enough issue to warrant mention.

• Thumbs Up 7

Case in point, brony racism.

Draw a humanized version of anyone in the cast, and make them anything other than white. Then watch hordes of FiM fans unleash racial slurs, and even highly detailed arguments that rely on stereotypes (i.e., "All black people act like this, so clearly this character can't be black").

In fact, I'll just let these speak for themselves:

tumblr_m1pj89qNCI1r2yxu9o1_1280.png

tumblr_m1gwzcR3Je1qmkdmco2_500.png

tumblr_m328x1SzqD1r2w685o3_1280.png

And there are hundreds- if not thousands- of similar examples throughout the fanbase.

I find it incredibly interesting that most of the above are the same sorts of fans who loudly clamor to be accepted for watching My Little Pony, whilst shunning others for the color of their skin at the same time.

Remember, of course I'm not indicting the whole fanbase. I did said that many- certainly not "all"- fans did this. But it's a common enough issue to warrant mention.

I facepalmed so hard that my palm crushed my head!

MLP:FiM not politically correct ? Its a kids show for crying out loud I find it to be very politically correct in a good way. My God what they are saying there completely undermines the message of the show, wow that's a lot of fail. sleep.png

e32ad76466ef58032013e5e910c85834.jpg?1309300581

WTF?!

Edited by BW199148

Discussing possible races within ponies if they were human is completely irrelevant. They are ponies, and not all fans draw/imagine them as humans. But the same happens with Sonic and any other franchises with animal characters. Their hypothetical humanized race, if any, is up to everyone's guess and imagination.

I think people shouldn't feel shocked to see a drawing of Fluttershy as a black girl (for example). It's just one fan's opinion or simple artistic impulse.

It's something that it's not worth to debate over, especially if it's to start a war between fans.

Maybe several fans think of Twilight as Asian, probably because of the style of her mane and eye shape. But those would be poor excuses. a) Abby from NCIS has a similar hair, and she's not Asian. b ) Rarity has a similar eye shape, and it's possible Sweetie Belle will have it too when she's older (filly Twilight has round eyes, just like the other fillies), but I don't think many people see them as Asians.

But it makes me curious. Why did Lauren decide to make some ponies with different eye shapes? Simply for variety in faces? Twilight and Rarity actually have a closer eye shape to the ponies from previous generations (with corners on the side, instead of fully round), but she took a different turn for the remaining ponies' eyes.

Edited by True Blue
  • Thumbs Up 2

We interrupt this interesting debate to bring you the usual "gato is sleep deprived and somehow found this funny" post... (Admittedly, 13 hours late because my internet failed me last night)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUNqoy7wkpo

BEHOLD! Pretty much every single pony video fad on the internet!

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 4

The skin tone thing bothers me too, for sure. I'm pretty sure I went on a very mild tirade a while ago about some fanart that gave all of the man six practically the same build, and the same deal applies here. The whole point of the show is that the mane six are friends despite all of their differences; it baffles me that people wouldn't want to take advantage of that by making them visually distinct as well.

Weirdly, the "but I don't understand why she's black, that's weird" comments actually bother me more than "GET UR PC SHIT OUTTA MY PONIES WHITE MASTER RACE 5EVER". I can rationalize that a certain portion of internet users are blatantly mean and stupid (or feigning it for the lulz), but innocent (?) ignorance just makes me sort of depressed.

Edited by Octarine

You see, there's Mechano's and True Blue's argument (which are both spot-on), and then there's this:

The skin tone thing bothers me too, for sure. I'm pretty sure I went on a very mild tirade a while ago about some fanart that gave all of the man six practically the same build, and the same deal applies here. The whole point of the show is that the mane six are friends despite all of their differences; it baffles me that people wouldn't want to take advantage of that by making them visually distinct as well.

I don't particularly care about Black Twilight, or Asian Twilight or whatever. If the artist views them as being black, white, asian or whatever when they draw them humanized, then what have you. All the stupid PB comments in the world doesn't change that artist's view. It's basically an interpretation on top of another interpretation anyway (Pony -> Human -> Specific racial makeup).

But what you are basically doing with this statement is accusing artists of intentionally whitewashing the cast after they already have changed them once to their interpretation by mere process of humanizing them, simply because the artist doesn't go out of their way to make them racially diverse for racial diversity's sake. There are ways to take advantage of the differences in characters without resorting to lazy, Captain Planet-style "Look! One from every group!" forced ethnicity; which is basically what the argument of "They should be different skin tones when humanized!" does.

tl;dr: You're making the exact same argument you are against, just flipped over.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've also seen arguments that Sapphire Shores is the only black pony because of her voice sounding like some black woman -_-

tl;dr: You're making the exact same argument you are against, just flipped over.

Fair enough. I was going less for "all humanized versions of the pony cast must be racially diverse because it's morally wrong to make X number of them white and you should feel bad" and more for something along the lines of "I prefer it when there are visual differences of any kind among humanizations of the mane six because I don't like things that all look the same", but it's obviously up to the artist's interpretation and I'd never antagonize anyone for doing an all-white human pony cast or whatever. I just don't see why anyone would want to take that kind of diversity away.

...even though that's kind of not really what I said. I dunno; I was thinking about a few very specific pieces of fanart where everyone's pretty much the same generic anime girl but with different hair and possibly boob sizes and I got excited because I had An Opinion.

I'm not usually prone to stepping into this sort of thing, but I find human interpretations of... well, anything, really, kind of fascinating because there are so many things you can do with them. I like variety not just between characters but between individual interpretations of the same characters; it's really cool to me to see how many different places people can go from the same starting point. I dunno.

Edited by Octarine

See, I think that's the benefit of an all-animal cast. You really don't have to worry about things such as whitewashing and racial diversity because the characters are all a different species. And I mean, bright pink pony doesn't strike me as any particular race, for example.

Humanizing ponies is like translating musical lyrics- not everything completely carries over perfectly, namely race and ethnicity, so some assumptions have to be made. I couldn't call anyone racist for simply assuming the mane 6 are white because, well, all their VA's are white. What does bother me is when people simply see white as the "default" race. Incidentally, I notice that most ponified characters (other than OCs) seem to be made into Earth ponies by default. I wonder if ponies would see that as racist.

Edited by SuperStingray

Humanizing ponies is like translating musical lyrics- not everything completely carries over perfectly, namely race and ethnicity, so some assumptions have to be made. I couldn't call anyone racist for simply assuming the mane 6 are white because, well, all their VA's are white. What does bother me is when people simply see white as the "default" race. Incidentally, I notice that most ponified characters (other than OCs) seem to be made into Earth ponies by default. I wonder if ponies would see that as racist.

I'm probably going to regret bringing this up but what does this say about characters like Zecora, Douche, Fancypants, Gilda, Discord, Celestia, Luna...

Also, what you said about the VA made me think about this pic I saw in Ponibooru.

187837%20-%20meta%20Race.jpeg