Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

Let's talk plot. =P

Gen V prided itself on the story it had(in my opinion it salvaged what was otherwise a pretty meh Generation), and you can say at least it's grown more complex over the years. We've gone from:

*Stopping Team Rocket

*Stopping Team Rocket... Again

*Stopping stupid environmentalists from screwing with Hoenn

*Stopping nihilistic emotionless would be gods

*Stopping a warped version of PETA

So what new and exciting plot twists will we see this time? Maybe a team focused on genetics?

A team using samples of legendary DNA to attempt to create overpowered hybrid creations they can use to take over the world?  This arguably has precedent from way back in Red and Blue with Mewtwo.  Maybe the legendaries themselves are too powerful to control, which is pretty much the message of every game that's featured the "let's try and control an unstoppable force of nature" villainous plot.  I.e. most of them.

...Maybe XX/XY/Z could be a hybrid?  Nope, getting ahead of myself, it's years too early to be making that call.

Yeah considering the glasses left the protag's head when he grabbed that vine.. things will still be worked on and fine tuned.

The overworld graphics do look like high-end DS games that's for sure, but let's be honest, GameFreak aren't the most talented developers when it comes to technical prowess, and that won't change unless they get some direct help from Nintendo's first parties... which they probably don't want to do, they probably want to keep to themselves. (just guessing here, there's a reason GameFreak's games are always a gen behind, technically)

And I'm not denying Pikachu sounds great when he says his name.. and some other Pokémon in Smash Bros and etc sound great, but that's only a handful.

I think Nintendo really need better vocal talent before they attempt that bit a voice project. Kid Icarus proved they know how to find and direct vocal talent tho!

As for plot, wow I'd absolutely love it if they brought old genetic Pokémon like Mewtwo n Deoxys n Genesect back into the plot - I always thought Mewtwo didn't get enough development considering how interesting it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

That new fire fox pokemon just might get me back into the series....I like foxes.

Well that and the Y shaped bird.

I prefer Froakie, but Fennekin is lovely too. I like that we finally have another starter that looks more like a her than a him. The only other one is Blaziken, and even that's fairly butch.

I prefer Froakie, but Fennekin is lovely too. I like that we finally have another starter that looks more like a her than a him. The only other one is Blaziken, and even that's fairly butch.

Well, Chikorita was pretty feminine and remained roughly as such all the way through its evolutions.

Edited by Nepenthe

If we don't get a white wolf pokemon this time I'm going to be pissed.

Fennekin is a Fox and a Fire type, that's basically the closest you're gonna get to a Pokemon version of Amaeratsu I reckon.

And this is just his first form, can't imagine how similar they'll look when they evolve.

Fennekin is a Fox and a Fire type, that's basically the closest you're gonna get to a Pokemon version of Amaeratsu I reckon.

And this is just his first form, can't imagine how similar they'll look when they evolve.

Nineta-wait, we already got that...fuck.

Fox/Wolf hybrid? I mean, it could go well with the speculation that the theme here is on genetics with the new antagonist team.

I might actually be in danger of jumping ship on the franchise if it ever discarded the normal cries in favour of name-talk. It always bothered me in the anime, and I even tend to cringe whenever it shows up in text boxes in the games; it's just kind of embarrassing and unpleasant. Pokemon are basically animals; I feel like they should sound pretty much like animals (or... I dunno, whatever ice cream sounds like) and not bored voice actors repeating the same doofy pun over and over.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well, Chikorita was pretty feminine and remained roughly as such all the way through its evolutions.

Why and how did I forget Chikorita? 

Maybe because I can't stand it and prefer to pretend it doesn't exist. lol, I just totally forgot about it. It's nice to have a feminine looking starter that I actually like. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

izqa09.jpg

2v8n11d.jpg

33boe39.jpg

Not exactly undeniable proof because I know most of the time the Pokemon do stay shit like 'fushaaaaa' or something like that but this is from BW2 so maybe they were foreshadowing Pokemon finally talking :/ It wouldn't bother me personally since I always just assumed they'd speak their names anyway, unless it's some giant beast like Groudon or something like Mewtwo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be getting X. I love the way the deer legendary looks. Plus my day has been made by that Grass starter. I love the design. Just waiting until Amazon opens pre-orders.

Not exactly undeniable proof because I know most of the time the Pokemon do stay shit like 'fushaaaaa' or something like that but this is from BW2 so maybe they were foreshadowing Pokemon finally talking :/ It wouldn't bother me personally since I always just assumed they'd speak their names anyway, unless it's some giant beast like Groudon or something like Mewtwo.

Also fucks sake, rotated photos lol.

The odd Pokemon's said its name in text since at least GSC, and I'm pretty sure every NPC Pokemon in Colosseum and XD did it.

I just really strongly dislike it. I don't really care about grid movement or non-top-notch graphics or ice creams, but I don't think I could handle it if every time I sent out a Gardevoir I had to hear a woman drone "GaaardeVOIIIIIR" in her best Senor Cardgage impression. Maybe I'm alone on that, but... no thanks.

...maybe it could be optional?

• Thumbs Up 1

I might actually be in danger of jumping ship on the franchise if it ever discarded the normal cries in favour of name-talk. It always bothered me in the anime, and I even tend to cringe whenever it shows up in text boxes in the games; it's just kind of embarrassing and unpleasant. Pokemon are basically animals; I feel like they should sound pretty much like animals (or... I dunno, whatever ice cream sounds like) and not bored voice actors repeating the same doofy pun over and over.

Considering how much Pokemon emote in the anime due to having actual definitive personalities, I would not want to hear Oshawott squeaking or squawking whenever he got into another spat with Piplup. 

Speaking of emoting, I don't know how much the games serve to make this point known in their world, but Pokemon aren't just animals as if they're trained fighting dogs or something. They generally possess sapience on par with humans, and it's undoubtedly why no one but the idealistic nutjobs in the world actually believes Pokemon battling is animal abuse. Overall though, hearing Oshawott say "Oshawott", or just something like "Osha!" is not that big of a stretch in a world where Oshawott can even feasibly exist, and I don't see how hearing a quick verbal soundbite a maximum of twice in battle would become some huge annoyance. The game wouldn't suddenly turn into Pokemon Puzzle League.

• Thumbs Up 5

The odd Pokemon's said its name in text since at least GSC, and I'm pretty sure every NPC Pokemon in Colosseum and XD did it.

I just really strongly dislike it. I don't really care about grid movement or non-top-notch graphics or ice creams, but I don't think I could handle it if every time I sent out a Gardevoir I had to hear a woman drone "GaaardeVOIIIIIR" in her best Senor Cardgage impression. Maybe I'm alone on that, but... no thanks.

...maybe it could be optional?

It would be optional- buy or don't buy. I'm with on it's a potential deal-breaker. But at the moment all we're doing is making a random bit of speculation that there may potentially be a deal-breaker maybe.

I think since the Y is in the sky and the X is on land, the inevitable Z is going to be in the sea.

Also, if I had to hear a guy say Archeops while drinking water when sending out Archeops, or if Leavanny sounded like it's balls haven't fully dropped yet, I wouldn't buy another Pokémon game again.

Some interesting Legendary speculation I saw on Bulbagarden;

The legionaries appear to be based on the Norse creatures of Eikþyrnir & Veðrfölnir, a stag and hawk respectively famous for stting atop Valhalla and Yggdrasil.

29727d1257678117-sculptures-sea-yggdrasi

We may be seeing a Z-Snake as out third version legendary if Gen VI does turn out to be based on Norse mythology.

I said this pages ago.

But at least I'm not the only who believes this.

It does help there's a giant tree behind the big ass deer.

Edited by Rachel Alucard

Have I really made myself that predictable? D:

• Thumbs Up 1

If we don't get a white wolf pokemon this time I'm going to be pissed.

If we don't get a dolphin or a T-Rex this time I'm gonna be extra pissed.

I also think a sea anemone, a sword fish, and Fighting/Flying Superhero pokemon would be cool as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to assume that the lack of a detailed overworld is because of having to render 600+ highly detailed Pokémon models and their respective attacks when in battle. Black/White may have been time consuming but it should really pale in the amount of work having had to go down into this.

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh, apparently everyone seems to think Froakkie is derrived from "frog" and "croak". I thought the "fr***ie" perhaps came from "frosty". I'd rather not see a water/ice type though, and frog makes much more obvious sense anyway.

Edited by Blue Blood

I also think a sea anemone, a sword fish, and Fighting/Flying Superhero pokemon would be cool as well.

Human-esque Pokemon just weird me the fuck out.

Besides, knowing Japan, it would probably end up as a tokusatsu abomination like Kamen Rider or something. D:

Technically, they've already had a pokemon based on the Japanese perception of superheroes.

Golurk.

How can you not be enthralled by the whimsical charms of Mr. Mime and Jynx?

And wasnt Bisharp basically Kamen Rider esque (or was that the Pokemon who evolves from Shelmet)?

Edited by Soniman