Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

i hope the music is good, especially the generic trainer battle theme, because you hear it the most and it always gets annoying -_-... i loved team plasma's trainer theme on BW2 pokemon has some great music,

oh and I hope it builds the leaders and elite four up more this time, I mean in the first few games they really look down on you, mentioning wars etc, really makes them feel like hard opponents, and when I played BW2 it was like, "hi im not a gym leader anymore I want to be a fabulous movie star byeeee ~"
and then that lass who was in a band, I know it looks cool, but It just makes me feel like shes a gym leader as a hobby, not some feared and strong trainer, master of her type because of a, b, c....
"how do these people get Gyms?" XD

hope you get what I'm saying here, I want tougher leaders! and I mean, what happened to all the old people, i was always scared of Agatha in red n blue because she looks tough, shes clearly more experienced than you and is clearly focused on training. as for Black2's champ, iris, is she like 6 or something? it was totally ridiculous versing a young kid with tons of dragons, but hey, it IS japan....

• Thumbs Up 1

Ee-velt-ul, I can do this.

Pokémon Y and Yveltal for me then I think! Really cool names and legies.

The new tidbits hype up the plot and music, I know Pokémon plots have been a bit pretentious lately but if Norse mythology is involved it can't be all bad! Also I'm excited to hear the music, they haven't hyped up music in Pokémon games like.. ever. Which probably means no more MIDIs - or at least way better quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

As with the Musketeers from Gen V, I find is hard to see Xerneas as a legendary or powerful Pokémon. It just doesn't work some how. Still don't like Chespin at all either. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeaaaaah Yveltal is my favourite. Xenreas was good until I saw those antlers, those are /awful/. Can't wait until we get a good render of it though, I want to see Yveltal up close. :P

Y'know how Oshawott started off being hated and now people generally like the Osha line best?? I mean Dewott and Samurott, total bosses, good movepools, etc.

Dw Chespin your time will come

I believe in you

you chestnut hedgehog chipmunk thing.

your fans will come in drones pleading for your power

you make our hearts spin in our chests

get it

spin chest

chest spin

no?

• Thumbs Up 7

Y'know how Oshawott started off being hated and now people generally like the Osha line best?? I mean Dewott and Samurott, total bosses, good movepools, etc.

Dewott and Samurott simply look cool, I don't care about anythign else. Chespin looks very, very familiar and kind of bluegh. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Xerneas and Yveltal?  I like them.  They sound very... otherworldly, matching the design of the legendaries.  Not their shapes - they're very conventional - but obviously they have this very cosmic look about them.  Although it only increases the major Dialga vibes I'm getting from Xerneas, but the pair of them look, from the trailer at least, as if they roam about in the normal world rather than living in other dimensions or being reduced to magic rocks, which is... actually, that'd be the first time main story legendaries have ever been quite that accessible.  But the trailer might be really non-representative in that regard.

And yeah, I think people will come around to the designs.  They always do.  I always do, too - took me a while to accept Conkeldurr and Garbodor (and I was really down on Generation III).  Complaints about Pokemon looking ridiculous or like Digimon are a feature of every generation, and then the next generation comes along and suddenly the one everyone hated is great again.  Same sort of cycle as Sonic, Zelda etc.

And I also hope for better characterisation for the significant bosses.  They've been getting a lot better at giving the gym leaders a sense of context and purpose, but the Elite Four are still pretty much just people who sit in rooms and never do anything.  One thing I've been hoping for for a while is an evil Champion.  Not like N or Blue, I mean the actual established champion is secretly a villain and possibly the head of Team Whatever (Team Gene?).  That'd switch things up a bit, as for four generations now we've had champions who are friends and mentors.

And since I'm basically just throwing out character ideas now, I really like Black and White's use of two rivals, to actually use up all the starters.  Since I miss jerk rivals, I'd say make the opposite gender version of the player into the friendly rival (as in RSE), and the original design rival into the jerk.

Edit: The GamesRadar article made me realise that there's a distinctive watch the male hero's wearing.  Could something Poketch-like be making a return appearance?

Edited by FFWF
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really like the whole chestnut idea of chespin. I also like that it's not a reptile like every other Grass starter.

And while the design isn't that original, I still think it's the most adorable of the 3, making it my favourite starter this Gen, heck, even my favourite Grass starter ever (yes, I said that.)

Second place goes to the Globox/Murfy love child, but only because it looks really weird in a funny way. I don't know. I bet the last evolution will look absolutely retarded though.

Last place goes to the Fox thing. Don't get my wrong, it still looks cool, but I dunno... it looks so... vain. I don't like that that much.

@Blur: Maybe Chespin reminds you of Bianca tongue.png

@Thigolf: Agreed! I love the chestnut idea, a green spiky thing with a little tough animal inside is great. I'm not sure if I prefer it to Snivy, but I definitely love Chespin the most of these three!

Serebii tweeted about pronunciations:

1f0fd1c5d757f5656475bd30a421d6b7.png?135

Also I still think Xerneas looks great, it looks very otherworldly, like something slipped in between dimensions, even the horns.. though I agree they don't look very "Pokémon-like", it's very cool imo.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pokemon X & Y: Did you spot everything in the trailer?

We take a closer look at Nintendo's new monster offering

http://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-x-y-did-you-spot-everything-trailer/?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=emp&utm_campaign=pokexytrailerspot

I don't get how people are getting Fire/Psychic out of the second move used by Fennekin,  Grass/Fighting from Chespin, and Water Dark from Froakie.

To me, it looks like Fennekin is using growl (a starting move), Chespin is using scratch (another starting move), and Froakie is using Fury Swipes (another starting move).

The base evolution of every starter pokemon have always been pure water, fire, and grass. I don't expect that to change.

Chespin is using scratch (another starting move)

No way the ninja images move from the trailer is scratch. That's way too over the top to be scratch

The base evolution of every starter pokemon have always been pure water, fire, and grass. I don't expect that to change.

Well, bulbasaur was Grass/Poison, but yeah, you're right.

Also, isn't it completely normal that Pokemon learn many moves that don't belong to their types? o:

What Ninja images? All I'm seeing is the screen turning dark and 2 swipes going across the screen.

Well, bulbasaur was Grass/Poison, but yeah, you're right.

Also, isn't it completely normal that Pokemon learn many moves that don't belong to their types? o:

Yes, but usually not in their first form. Unless it's a move like Bite.

No way the ninja images move from the trailer is scratch. That's way too over the top to be scratch

Night Slash

On the subject of better characterized Pokemon, yeah I honestly wouldn't mind that myself. Now how they would go about doing it is another question entirely. Pokemon at the end of the day are animals, and it's kind of hard to characterize an animal without making it more, well, human which defeats the purpose in the first place. I'd say Sean's idea is more ideal and actually give some character to the human protagonists, I mean Gen V showed that this IS possible so I don't see why it has to be restricted to only side characters.

Ya know, this is a peeve of mine about Nintendo games in general, all of their protagonists have virtually no character at all and it makes it really hard to get connected with the game. The only real exception is Samus, who ironically had more character before they gave her full voice acting.

I only just thought of this, but.. I wonder how the 3D battles will work on water, assuming fishing and surfing are still in.

Or water Pokémon on land.

I have to admit I'll be a bit disappointed if we get Pokémon standing on the water or floating Magikarps, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

EDIT@ Ragna: Pit has even more character than Samus, he's amazing.

Edited by SuperLink

I got froakle's ninja moves confused with chesspin.

it's probably more likely fire/psy water/fight grass/dark   the frog guy is giving me kung fu vibes with his poses

I only just thought of this, but.. I wonder how the 3D battles will work on water, assuming fishing and surfing are still in.

I have to admit I'll be a bit disappointed if we get Pokémon standing on the water or floating Magikarps, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

I personally love the "fuck logic, I'm a pokemon" factor of standing on water to fight, I'd miss it.

theres a magicarp flopping about on the floor in the trailer XD i am so looking forward to owning my own haha it would look even funnier if you kill something with it XD

Edited by Naysu

Yeah I noticed that, I wonder if it'll look the same on the water or if Pokémon have different animations depending on where abouts the battle takes place? That'd be really cool too.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

actually that would be awesome, seeing water pokemon swim, and the moves dive, fly and dig having their own animations that involve more then just popping off the screen...

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't expect Pokemon in the games to emote because there's never any real reason for them to, because they're not characters nor partners; under the current system, they're pretty much are just glorified fighting dogs. Beyond the Ability listed next to them in their profiles, they have no discernible personalities. You don't get to know an individual, you don't get to actually grow with them. They're tools at your disposal and thus pretty blank in the character department. So no, they don't need to emote, so talking is not important. But all of this in turn, however, relegates the more iconic Pokemon- the ones I personally most identify with the most, the things that come to my head when I think "Pokemon"- to the ones in the anime and films, the ones that talk. A Pikachu doesn't make some random midi squeak; it goddamned well says "Pikachu." There's a disconnect I find disconcerting and symptomatic of how uninteresting a great deal of the game world in Pokemon is as described by Sean, especially in comparison to the show.

While I still disagree pretty strongly about the name-talk thing (how does a brief soundbite of "osha!" provide any more personality than an animal noise? If anything, I'd say giving every Pokemon a human voice actually makes them less distinct; it'd steal a lot of personality from Pokemon like Kricketune with really cool, unique cries), I do agree with the basic idea here.

One of my favourite things in D/P/Pt was Dr. Footstep, the guy who told you what your Pokemon thought of you based on their happiness and what rough category they fit into. It wasn't a very nuanced system or anything, but it was sort of sweet, and a little more personal than a lot of the generic "____ found a thing!" messages from following Pokemon in HG/SS. We could definitely use more stuff like that at the very least.

Y'all need to stop hating on Xerneas. That sleek, cheetah-esque design, and the spreading, glowing antlers are things I find absolutely beautiful. It immediately became my new favorite legendary. And at the least, the X-antlers fit more naturally into its design, while I feel like they're just taking the piss with Yveltal's silhouette and have made it to be kind of cheesy-looking. "Hey look, I'm entirely a Y-shape, so you know I'm the Y mascot!" Well, aren't you just a special snowflake?

agreed. the deer at least looks believable to me... the Y thing looks like a kite XD its like pokemon diamond and pearl having legendaries that are an actual diamond with eyes, and a pearl with a face, its just.... too much.

reminds me of giratinas wings too, those weird flat slats, with random 90 degree spikes on the end