Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

It would cause people to argue whether diagonal movement should be counted as one or two steps, obviously !!

If it's the same situation like it was with Kanto and Jotho where Kanto in almost it's entirety was available post game, that would be pretty cool.

The whole "WOWZO what if we can visit past regions ?!?!?" speculation comes up each time a new Pokemon game is announced. It was most recently implemented in HeartGold and SoulSilver... remakes of the games that originated that concept.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by JunkoEnoshimapan
  • Thumbs Up 3

// I accidentally coded steps for all directions

var steps = 0;

function CountSteps(){

if(isMoving == 1){

steps += Mathf.Round(10 * Time.deltatime);

}

}

Seriously, it wouldn't be hard. xD Game Freak just doesn't want to change a formula that works.

Edited by GottaCodeFast
  • Thumbs Up 2

Or they're getting rid of running shoes for rollerblades.

He was rollerblading as well as running in the trailer though.

Edited by KrazyBean

I can't imagine why they can't have free movement but keep the tile based system for encounters and simply count the distance walked for eggs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Same for me. I don't really give a damn about whether the movement is tile based or not. The world still seems to be based around that type of movement anyway.

It'd just be more relaxed and free, plus you'd never again keep missing the NPC you wanna talk to or the door you wanna enter cause your bike is too fast, looking for Pokémon without grid lock would be much easier too. I'd like to say I don't care, but.. I do, because it's annoying as hell.

There's nothing special about the grid lock when it comes to RNG mechanics I'm sure, Final Fantasy VII pulled that shit off A-OK like 15 years ago. Before the first Pokémon game.

You know, I had a thought.

Wouldn't it be cool if in a pokemon game, using fly didn't automatically send you to a destination, but rather just let you fly around?

And like, there were some pokemon you could only catch in flight, or trainers flying around?

i dunno, just a thought.

Dude, a pokemon battle in the sky would be beyond epic!

You know, I had a thought.

Wouldn't it be cool if in a pokemon game, using fly didn't automatically send you to a destination, but rather just let you fly around?

And like, there were some pokemon you could only catch in flight, or trainers flying around?

i dunno, just a thought.

That would actually be rather awesome... which is precisely why it won't happen, unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 6

It would be cool but only if there were an option to just fly to a location as well. It would be so annoying if you had to constantly do the flying through the air thing to get ANYWHERE by flying, the instantaneous thing we have now works for a reason.

Well Pokémon Ranger does that.. it lets you fast travel via touch screen but also freely fly around to catch the Pokémon in the sky. No reason the mainseries can't do that too.

Simples.

Edited by SuperLink

If they make the sky about the size of SS, then size wouldn't be a problem unless you were REALLY impatient.

Just caught up on the 5 pages made since I was last in this topic yesterday and I can't believe there are 3-4 pages of discussion about walking directions. 

I would put this in my signature if I knew how with the current quoting system.

If they make the sky about the size of SS, then size wouldn't be a problem unless you were REALLY impatient.

The size isn't an issue. Anything longer than instant is too slow. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Well Pokémon Ranger does that.. it lets you fast travel via touch screen but also freely fly around to catch the Pokémon in the sky. No reason the mainseries can't do that too.

Simples.

The size isn't an issue. Anything longer than instant is too slow. 

If they used anything as long and tedious as Ranger did, it would ruin the flying mechanic altogether. "Fly" as a move is more fun as a teleporting feature. I especially don't want to encounter Pokemon when I fly.

I wasn't implying(edit: although my post certainly sounded like it) the option to do that should be taken away, I wouldn't play a Pokemon game without it.

I'm just talking as an optional thing.

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl

Don't mean to bring up movement again, but why bother making a 3D world (that doesn't even look that nice if I'm honest), if you can't move around freely in said 3D world? If they just went the extra mile and put the work into changing the movement system, it would do that much more to immerse me in the pokemon universe. If counting steps is so important why not have an arbitrary distance (say an in-game metre), moved in any direction, count as a step? Surely it isn't impossible to programme something like that, is it?

I know its pointless to discuss and I know Gamefreak won't do much to change anything as long as the games continue to print money (which they inevitably will), but its just something that has been irritating me. I would have thought that with the 3DS having such potential, they'd have thrown everything at the latest games to reinvigorate the franchise. I guess the sales suggest that its not in need of a refresh, but damn I think it does.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd care a little more about movement if that stopped me from playing the game, but it's not so meh.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 4