Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

I don't know why this is where you draw the line. It seems kind of arbitrary considering Gen 5 had the ice cream and the rubbish bag and the bunch'a gears Pokemon.

Ok true, I completely forgot about them. But still, this shit ain't fly.

Oh yes, because a living ghost sword that takes the energy away from an unsuspecting human is so dumb. Gen 1 certainly didn't have any bad Pokemon, no sir.

It wasn't ok when Gen 1 did it either

Edited by Rusty Spy

Why not? What exactly is wrong with non-animal Pokemon?

They're called Pocket Monsters, not Pocket Animals.

• Thumbs Up 6

Ghost sword dude is cool, garbage bag guy is cool, your opinions are bad.

Seriously what do you expect Pokemon to be, that these don't fit in it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ghost sword dude is cool, garbage bag guy is cool, your opinions are bad.

Seriously what do you expect Pokemon to be, that these don't fit in it.

I expect creatures that look like that could live, breath, eat, and exist as sentient, organic beings.

Trubbish family just looks ugly.

Also, your opinions are bad

They're called Pocket Monsters, not Pocket Animals.

Exactly, Pocket Monsters, not Pocket Tool-shed

Edited by Rusty Spy

I expect creatures that look like that could live, breath, eat, and exist as sentient, organic beings.

You expect ghosts to live?

Also what exactly are the standards for a believable Pokemon species when some can breathe fire, shoot lasers, teleport, etc etc.

It's literally garbage, it ain't supposed to look pretty.

Nope.

You have a depressingly narrow understanding of the word "monster". Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon ghost posses animals like spiders. and it isn't like this game/show is the first to have some poltergeist posses an inanimate object. 

You expect ghosts to live?

Also what exactly are the standards for a believable Pokemon species when some can breathe fire, shoot lasers, teleport, etc etc.

Believable monsters.

It's literally garbage, it ain't supposed to look pretty.

Never stopped Pokemon like Muk

Nope.

I can just say Yes and be just as correct as you.

You have a depressingly narrow understanding of the word "monster".

So 13 out of 649+ different definitions of monster?

Gee, guess I'm just such a sad unimaginative person

Well in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon ghost posses animals like spiders. and it isn't like this game/show is the first to have some poltergeist posses an inanimate object. 

Fair enough, it's partly the reason don't give Pokemon like Cofagrigus that much flak, and I'm sort of willing to let it slide with Honedge under those pretenses, but that still only makes me question how all these ghosts seem to posses thousands if not millions of identical swords.

Edited by Rusty Spy

Believable monsters.

What makes a possessed sword any less believable a monster?

Never stopped Pokemon like Muk

Muk ain't pretty either.

What makes a possessed sword any less believable a monster?

How does a living creature come into existence that just happen to literally be artificial man-made objects and tools.

Or, considering Honedge for example is a possessed sword, where do all these ghosts get these identical looking swords? What are these ghosts' true forms, and why do they specifically haunt identical swords to the point that they're considered an entire species that produce offspring that are also possessing identical, artificial swords?

Edited by Rusty Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well there's Pokemon for everyone, I don't get the point of arguing about it. If you fancy ones not based around inanimate objects, then so be it, there's a large abundance lawl. I personally love the man-made ones myself since I think they're interesting, but I can get how some people wouldn't like that.

Also I don't think the Pokemon world was really meant to question logistics XD. Yeah there's samey swords and they may be able to have babies if you give them to old people for 500 steps or whatever, but oh well, that's how the Pokemon universe operates I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

How does a living creature come into existence that just happen to literally be artificial man-made objects and tools.

Sugimori_101.png

I know we moved past this, but come on, this isn't exactly a new thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

Give me a freaking kangaroo already Gamefreak.

Kangaskhan says hi.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or, considering Honedge for example is a possessed sword, where do all these ghosts get these identical looking swords? What are these ghosts' true forms, and why do they specifically haunt identical swords to the point that they're considered an entire species that produce offspring that are also possessing identical, artificial swords?

The same way every Pikachu looks exactly the same, other than the gender differences?

In fact, artificial Pokemon actually have an excuse for looking the same, since ... well, they're generally man made stuff that was mass produced, like Porygon or the "rumoured" origins of Voltorb. In the case of Honedge, I suspect they might be as rare as Snorlax, in that you'll only come across maybe one or two, which would make it somewhat "believable". If not, well, they're ghosts. They don't make sense. It's kind of their thing.

I'm now reminded of how Kangashkan hatches from an egg fully grown and with a baby in it's pouch. This series, man ...

• Thumbs Up 1

It's probable that in some cases, the inanimate object was actually patterned after the Pokemon and not the other way around. This is a world where written language of all things was borrowed from the shapes of Pokemon; it wouldn't surprise me if, say, the idea for clockwork came from Klink or horseshoe magnets (and screws?) came from Magnemite. It's that kind of setting; basically the whole world revolves around Pokemon.

Most other inanimate-object Pokemon can be explained as intentional mimics like Voltorb or Foongus, instances of Pokemon incorporating actual manmade stuff into them like Honedge or Grimer (or Banette and Wormadam), or just plain coincidences like Vanillish. A couple of those are allowed, right?

also speaking of kangaskhan seriously game freak can baby kangaskhan be its own thing finally thanks

and dammit elementofchaos

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sugimori_101.png

I know we moved past this, but come on, this isn't exactly a new thing.

It wasn't ok when Gen 1 did it either

Kangaskhan says hi.

I think he means a kangaroo that looks more like a kangaroo and not a dinosaur.

Give me a freaking kangaroo already Gamefreak. And make it a fightning type.

The closest you'll get to that is Breloom, or Kangaskhan.

Edited by KrazyBean

I think we need a Koala Pokemon. Or a Wombat (omg yes)! <3

There doesn't seem to be much love for Honedge here. D: I really like the idea behind it and the design is alright too, and usually I hate Pokemon based on inanimate objects.

Honedge is getting lots of love on other sites, like in the Destructoid comments a lot of people seemed to think it was a really cool idea.

The problem with Honedge or whatever it is called its that it is a plain sword. If you ask anyone that isn't aware of the recent Pokémon news what Honedge is, they will say that its just a a sword.

There is nothing to differentiate it from a regular sword at first glance and after seeing it in action only the blue clothed arm gives it away as a Pokémon.

I like Honedge, but goddamn I'm so tired of the "Living sword" thing.

It was cool at first in Runescape, it was fucking annoying in Mabinogi since every mid-level dungeon spammed them, and I'm sure if you gave me more time I could find hundreds of backwash F2P MMORPGs that have the same damn monster.