Awoo.

The Assassin's Creed Topic - Vive les assassins! Vive la France!

Speederino

I'm not unhappy with the pirate theme but I really think it's a missed opportunity, simply because there were so many other possibilities that would be far more interesting. For example: Russia pre-revolution. Rasputin could make a great antagonist, it's at the dawn of the industrial age, injustice of serfs to amend, and there's a whole family of royalty to kill. Or my personal favorite, the French Revolution. Helping liberate an oppressed people from a monarchy, watching your revolution become corrupted and twisted, all in the middle of great imagery and history with plenty of story arcs.

These sorts of other eras would make the next game continue fresh and wouldn't have the problem that Black Flag does - it could have easily been a new IP. Pirates, by their very nature, spend the great majority of their time on a boat which is a bad setting for free-running. They spend the rest of their time in dinky little port towns hiding from the law, also a terrible setting for free running. But probably we're not gonna be a pirate but a privateer instead; so instead of tiny towns we're going to major trading stations like Havana. 1800s Havana or similar cities don't compare to the great capitals of the world we've visited previously.

The point is, combining two awesome elements (assassins and pirates) makes for a mediocre final product. They could have easily made a brand new pirate franchise and a separate Assassin's Creed sequel. We get an AC game with a better setting and still get to use those neat ship physics from AC3 in something else.

I'm not unhappy with the pirate theme but I really think it's a missed opportunity, simply because there were so many other possibilities that would be far more interesting. For example: Russia pre-revolution. Rasputin could make a great antagonist, it's at the dawn of the industrial age, injustice of serfs to amend, and there's a whole family of royalty to kill.

You might like this if you haven't read it.

assassins-creed-the-fall-cover.jpg

Edited by Speederino

I think this about sums up the situation right now: some of us like the Pirate theme, the rest of us don't. Many of us have our own preferences for future game settings, and while this wouldn't have been my first choice (1790s Paris --> 1800s London --> 1810s America would've been my preferred path), I won't turn it down either. In gif form, it goes a little something like this:

JOdREcW.gif

Personally, I really like it, more so after having watched that amazing CG trailer. Yeah, sorry folks, no gameplay yet, but E3 I'm sure will deliver nicely on that score. Maybe Microsoft's Next Xbox reveal event in April will show something nice off, too?

• Thumbs Up 2

You're going to have to explain that post to me, Woun, because I have no idea what you're on about.

You're going to have to explain that post to me, Wound, because I have no idea what you're on about.

Denied access (Deleted) to the trailer, I still have not seen. It is not where it is not uploaded? >:3 Sorry. 

Ubisoft's CG trailers are always amazing and this is no exception. Epic!

Sometimes elements from the trailer do appear in the actual game though. For example, that part where Edward Kenway is swimming underwater could possibly be in the game. Who knows, but if it is that would be awesome!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that it would be nice for the next 'main' AC game to be given a longer development cycle (say, 3 years.. ish?), and in the meantime all of the previous games could be given a next gen face-lift, or a proper spin-off series about the Kenways or a new Assassin for Vita/Wii U could be produced, or something. That'd be great, if it wasn't so damn unlikely.

That trailer did nothing for me. Seriously. Sure it was amazing cgi. But besides that, I see no gameplay. No nothing. Guess I'll have to wait until E3 for anything amazing to show up.

I think that it would be nice for the next 'main' AC game to be given a longer development cycle (say, 3 years.. ish?), and in the meantime all of the previous games could be given a next gen face-lift, or a proper spin-off series about the Kenways or a new Assassin for Vita/Wii U could be produced, or something. That'd be great, if it wasn't so damn unlikely.

I wouldn't be against that! I've been going to my local game store's FB page recently and I've already seen a lot of people write this game off as being the next COD just because it's being released this year. I wouldn't mind more Vita games personally. I've not played Liverations yet, but I'll be getting a Vita soon so I can give it a try. Also, I'd like a new 2D game for the 3DS. I enjoyed AC 2: Discovery on the DS. :)

Surprised no one has mentioned the PS4 logo in the trailer, even if it was expected after the press kept saying they couldn't confirm whether or not it's coming to PS4.

Screenshots have leaked, too.

Assassin's Creed 4 screens leak: Yo ho ho it's a pirate's life
Get a better look at the new leading man

image_298219.jpg

image_298220.jpg

image_298218.jpg

image_298217.jpg

image_298216.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/394058/assassins-creed-4-screens-leak-yo-ho-ho-its-a-pirates-life/

Oooooooooh those screenshots look niiiiiice. Also the new guy's robes look a bit more similar to Ezio's and Altair's than Connor's did...

One thing that bugged me in that article was: Connor Kenway. I thought he didn't take his father's name, and that he only goes by Connor for Achilles and his allies? Meh. Anyways, I'm interested... despite the terrible pirate cliches when I thought the AC lot made it clear they were going to avoid such things...

Edited by Doctor Mambotnik

From the few screenshots, It looks like a slightly modded version of Revelations and AC3. Interest still not obtained.

Having just finished AC3 (the super-long credits are rolling even as I type this), I think it's pretty obvious where the next game is going:

Juno is the new big baddie, possibly co-opting the Templar order and all its assets to serve her own agenda.

The Assassins go to the Caribbean after learning from Minerva that there is in fact a way to stop Juno. Desmond, or whoever it is we control, will again be going into the Animus, and will again be venturing out into the real world to acquire the bits of whatever device Edward Kenway uncovered all those centuries earlier.

Business as usual, basically. Hopefully it'll be the last 'main story' AC game for several years, and in the meantime I'd like to see a spin-off game or game series for Wii U and Vita focusing on the rest of Connor's life, and the rest of Aveline's too (if she survived the end of Liberation). The current AC graphics and movement mechanics have a good bit of life in them yet, and it'd be nice to see them get a bit more legwork done before being discarded.

• Thumbs Up 5

Whoops, video gets pulled (I assumed it was accidently made public early?): Well here's a download link to it.. https://cdn.anonfiles.com/1362245692264.mp4

Its okay I figured out that might be the reason why. smile.png

By biggest fear about the New AC is feels more and more recycled. Its same feeling I got with AC:Revelations I enjoyed it but I felt like I was playing an expansion of Brotherhood.

Assassin's Creed in general does anybody have a least favourite optional objective they would like to share mine is this one from Revelations:

Its one of those cheap "Don't take any Damage" optional objectives. I hate this one so bad. In fact I hate the optional objectives full stop.dry.png

Edited by BW199148