Awoo.

The Assassin's Creed Topic - Vive les assassins! Vive la France!

Speederino

Ohhh, Haytham's father? I really liked Haytham (unlike his own son), so this could be interesting. Again though, I'm not hyping this like I did with AC3. Otherwise I will just end up very disappointed. =[

Is the next Assassin's Creed all about pirates? A tipster just sent over marketing materials for something called Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Ubisoft hasn't announced anything about the next Assassin's Creed just yet, other than the fact that it will star a new character and a new setting, and it will be out next fiscal year.  According to our tipster, this poster will be on store walls on Monday, March 4. The poster shows a white-hooded assassin—presumably the protagonist of Assassin's Creed IV—on a pirate ship, surrounded by gruff-looking buccaneers. There's a black pirate flag in the background.

medium.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5987035/assassins-creed-iv-is-all-about-pirates-according-to-this-poster

As much as I like the sound of this game, I'm really having trouble seeing this as anything more than a spin-off. Also, Haytham's dad looks fucking kickass in that art.

Pretty disappointed honestly. I liked Connor and the time period AC3 was set in.

I like Connor and his time period as well, but come on - his grandfather's day wasn't exactly a thousand years earlier, or a million miles away, was it?
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ooooh sign me up, i'd prefer Haytham himself but i'm sure his daddy is pretty kick-ass as well, plus i loved the naval missions in the last one so this being an extension of that excites me.

Can't wait to "pirate" this game, har har get it. 

Edited by Jackstraw

Question: Is the artwork on that poster really the kind of thing they would use for what is essentially a first look at the game?

And does that logo look a bit off to anyone else? You'd think they'd want it centered.

I now quite want a piratical, Caribbean-themed game with Haytham's father, Spanish colonies and a bit of a British presence too, but I can't help but have my doubts.

Question: Is the artwork on that poster really the kind of thing they would use for what is essentially a first look at the game?

And does that logo look a bit off to anyone else? You'd think they'd want it centered.

I now quite want a piratical, Caribbean-themed game with Haytham's father, Spanish colonies and a bit of a British presence too, but I can't help but have my doubts.

Don't worry Pat. I have my doubts to about this rumor. I for some reason can not see this being the next big AC game. If anything I see it as a spin-off like the Vita version of AC3. Caribbean style might be just so they can gain extra money and please the fans that enjoyed the naval missions. But outside of that, I can't see it being much different from ACB-AC3. If anything, it would feel like a step back since Haytham's side loses some of the excellent climbing skills that Connor had. But it's ubisoft and I trust them. As long as they decide to take a break after the 2013 game. I really don't want this series turning into another COD, Naruto, WWE, Madden....ect. 

I really don't think this is just a rumor. Let's look back for a minute:

In the month or so leading up to AC2's official reveal, there were plenty of rumors that the game was going to be set in Renaissance Italy. Then the cover of Game Informer was leaked, adding extreme credibility to the rumors.

321.jpg

The exact same thing happened with AC3. First there's a bunch of rumors saying the game is set in Colonial America during the Revolutionary War, and then this unconfirmed piece of artwork shows up.

25tj4v4.jpg

Once again, it turned out to be true. So what's going on right now? A bunch of rumors turn up saying the next game is pirate themed, and suddenly a bunch of official-looking stuff turns up to support it. Can you see why it doesn't feel fake to me?

It is a bit weird that they're labeling this as AC4 when it clearly looks more like a Brotherhood/Revelations style psuedo-sequel, but at the end of the day it's just a number. And for all we know right now it might have enough gameplay changes to justify it.

What if this is a psuedo sequel, and not the "real" AC 4? When has a main series game ever had a subtitle right after the number? Seems a bit strange, doesn't it? Why not just call it AC 4? Why is the "Black Flag" part needed? I'm bettering this is getting the Brotherhood/Revelations treatment and will hold us over until the actual "Assassin's Creed 4" comes around.

How could it be a pseudo-sequel ala BH/Rev when it seems to focus not on Connor's middle life, but on his grandfather's life and times? Unless Connor dies at the end. I'm 90-some percent through AC3 and don't want the ending spoiled...

Even so though, I would expect a pseudo-sequel to be set in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, mainly in western Europe, and I would not expect the game to have 'IV' in the title. Additionally, the art doesn't look anything like that of the last two big reveals of Ezio and Connor - it looks like something you'd see in a comic book, not a game.

I want this to be real; AC3's naval segments were phenomenally well done and that whole area (privateers, navies, smuggling and theft and piracy, cannonades and swashbuckling boarding parties, lush islands to discover and explore, ancient ruins and treasures to find, seaside towns and forts to explore and raid et cetera) well deserves its own game, but there are some big red flags which need to be addressed before I will believe.

How could it be a pseudo-sequel ala BH/Rev when it seems to focus not on Connor's middle life, but on his grandfather's life and times?

Think of it as a psuedo-prequel then. My point is it seems to be following the same formula as far as the gameplay and setting is concerned.

Think of it as a psuedo-prequel then. My point is it seems to be following the same formula as far as the gameplay and setting is concerned.

That makes more sense, and I won't be complaining about either of those things, if it turns out to be real. I just think that it makes more sense to move forward within Connor's life before regressing back 60 years to when his grandpappy and Captain Kidd sailed the seven seas.

So, I just got word of Pirates of the Caribbean Assassin's Creed IV.

I'm not entirely sure what to expect here since ACIII kind of left a sour taste in my mouth once I finished it. If there's any expectations I have, I really hope ACIV won't be as bland as the game before it. Hopefully there will be some actual assassinating to get done in this game. The lack of assinating big bosses and conspirators made ACIII feel really empty, and while there is a lot of exploring and side quests to do, the fact that there was so few people to kill was... really unlike the series.

I have my doubts that this new installment will be as engaging as AC or ACII, but, we'll just have to wait! I really hope I get proven wrong too, because I really enjoy this series. Plus pirates are pretty radical and being a pirate assassin would be really awesome. And more naval missions! Those were great.

Edited by Toast
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, I just got word of Pirates of the Caribbean Assassin's Creed IV.

I'm not entirely sure what to expect here since ACIII kind of left a sour taste in my mouth once I finished it. If there's any expectations I have, I really hope ACIV won't be as bland as the game before it. Hopefully there will be some actual assassinating to get done in this game. The lack of assinating big bosses and conspirators made ACIII feel really empty, and while there is a lot of exploring and side quests to do, the fact that there was so few people to kill was... really unlike the series.

I have my doubts that this new installment will be as engaging as AC or ACII, but, we'll just have to wait! I really hope I get proven wrong too, because I really enjoy this series. Plus pirates are pretty radical and being a pirate assassin would be really awesome. And more naval missions! Those were great.

Ha. You could have called it Pirates of the Assassin's Creed if you wanted to. Just come up with it now and thought this sounds catchy.

Anyway, I am now starting to have doubts on how this will turn out. When AC III first announced/leaked, I got interested and liking the idea of the American Revolution stuff and all that. What made me now concerned is that the final version didn't really live up to expectations (still it was good anyway but just not as good as the Ezio trilogy) and that it's now going to turn out to be like the Call of Duty franchise.

This needs to make up for that and for me I want plenty more action and less of the pointless stuff you know that makes the whole game itself completely pointless. 

I'll be more than happy to pick this up if only it has magnificently improved from the last game as long as they don't re-use the same thing again and again.  

The poster revealed earlier apparently has the game world's map on its reverse side:

2amuBGY.jpg

I don't know if that's the whole map or not, because it only shows the western Caribbean.

The new game seems interesting but I'm already concerned that we are going to have no stealth elements what so ever. The few AC3 stealth missions were fun due to the new engine and I'm hoping that the new game will use the same engine. If the stealth missions take place on the islands that you dock on then I'll be hooked on the game from the get-go! Sneaking through tropical islands inside palm trees would be insanely awesome and thick bushes and plants would be great too! Also the new consoles would make the tropical islands look superb.

Looks like more stuff is leaking:

You’ll note the location is indeed the Carribean, with locations like Havana, the Cayo Islands and Florida all present. There’s also a new Assassin Brotherhood logo that resembles a skull n’ crossbones.

The poster shows Edward Kenway steering a ship while fending off pirates with a pistol, which stacks up with the testimony of a source, who claims he saw a Ubisoft document that ran down the game’s key points.

The source claims that Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag is due out ‘Holiday 2013′, while a second source stated that the game will focus heavily on naval combat and will come with the tag-line, “Survival is the Only Thing Worth Dying For.”

The game’s trailer is said to feature the music of Johnny Cash and will see Edward Kenway being pursued by officers of the British Royal Navy. We’ll have to wait and see about this one.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/27/assassins-creed-4-black-flags-details-emerge-ahead-of-reveal/

Alleged 360 screenshot:

assassins-creed-4-black-flags.jpg

Seems like there's an actual factual Assassin's Creed event going on tonight, so all these leaks could well be legit.

While ACIII was a rather dull game on it's own, playing it on the Wii U GamePad made it rather enjoyable. I hope they'll release ACIV for the Wii U with some enhanced capabilities. Mayhaps some more touch screen functions.

If I recall correctly, the only thing I remember using on the GamePad for ACIII was just to call up a horse... The screen also displayed a larger-scaled map, but there was nothing else I found useful, so I really hope ACIV will change that.

I don't think it terribly realistic to expect third party developers working on a new Nintendo console to make the best use out of its new features right away. That said, the horse calling alone sounds great; it's frustrating having to continually call up the weapon menu to get it out on the 360. The enlarged map screen sounds good too - is it any easier to tell what parts of the map you've not explored on there than it is on the TV?

But anyway, I would certainly expect AC4 to be present on the Wii U, as it is almost definitely going to be the last AC game released for the PS3 and 360 and if they're getting it, so too will the Wii U. I would also expect better use to be made out of the gamepad - hopefully allowing for map annotations among other things. It might be the first cross-generational AC too - that is to say, it'll be on the PS4 and Next Xbox, as well as their predecessors. If it is, however, don't expect it to make the best use out of those systems - cross-generational games don't tend to fare well in that regard. It'll be prettier, no doubt, but that might be about it.

I hope the Wii U isn't left behind where AC games are concerned after AC4. Even if it just gets spin-offs, I think it could have a very good relationship with the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

If i could clarify my earlier commment, my disappointment with the time period stems from wanting to see Connor again, but also experiencing the changes that the American Revolution caused. I would have really liked seeing Connor's thoughts on the general hypocrisy of the war and how his views changed after seeing how his people were treated at the end of AC3.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think it terribly realistic to expect third party developers working on a new Nintendo console to make the best use out of its new features right away. That said, the horse calling alone sounds great; it's frustrating having to continually call up the weapon menu to get it out on the 360. The enlarged map screen sounds good too - is it any easier to tell what parts of the map you've not explored on there than it is on the TV?

The horse-call button is great if you're going around on trails between towns, but other than that it really serves no other purpose. At least, I didn't find myself riding a horse that much to begin with.

As for the GamePad's map display, it certainly is much easier to see places you have yet synchronized, or where dangerous animals or enemies are. The range is much father out than the little map displayed on the TV screen, so it's very advantageous.

My only complaint is that the weapon selection menu is really sensitive. I forgot already what button it was on the GamePad but you have to hold it down to bring up the menu and then use the left and right joysticks to select weapons, and it's kind of easy to misselect something without noticing until it's too late.

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag boxart appears on Ubisoft forums

Teetering on the brink of confirmation?

image_33181.jpg

http://www.oxm.co.uk/50645/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-boxart-appears-on-ubisoft-forums/

Doesn't look too different from the last cover(s).

Also why is this one called Assassin's IV surely it is more like a Assassin's Creed III spin off like Brotherhood and Revelations? Even though Connor isn't he main character this feels more like a spin off. I just thought they would use the IV title for the Next Generation Consoles. 

Anyway. Yay more frustrating Optional Objectives and Side Missions to do!sleep.png  

Edited by BW199148

Ubisoft announces Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, more details coming Monday

News Publish Date 28/02/2013 - 11:49am GMT

Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC and Wii U versions confirmed.

Ubisoft has officially announced Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag for release on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC and Wii U, and confirmed that the first details on the game will be announced on Monday, March 4.

In a statement provided to VideoGamer.com this morning following the news that the game's box art had leaked online, a Ubisoft representative said:

"We confirm that Ubisoft will announce all the details of Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag on Monday March 4th at 5pm GMT."

Alongside the statement, Ubisoft officially released the box art for the game, confirming previous rumours that Black Flag would be themed around pirates and life on the high seas.

VideoGamer.com will have much more on Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag at 5pm on Monday.

Source: Ubisoft statement

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/assassins_creed_4_black_flag/news/ubisoft_announces_assassins_creed_4_black_flag_more_details_coming_monday.html

Assassin's Creed IV confirmed for current gen; Exclusive content on PS3

by Ben Parfitt

Thursday, February 28th 2013 at 11:46AM GMT

Such is the extent of the leaks surrounding Assassin’s Creed IV that Ubisoft has broken its own embargo and confirmed the game.

The title was shown off to the press yesterday and while some details are still being held back until next week, there are certain things we’re able to confirm.

No, we’re not talking about ACIII DLC here. Assassin’s Creed IV: Blag Flag is a brand new entry in the series and is due out on PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U and PC.

Will it come out on next-gen? Erm, as we said, there are some things we can’t say quite yet.

And thanks to the PS3 packshot shown below, we at least know that the Sony SKU comes with 60 minutes of exclusive content not found in the other releases.

Head back to MCVuk.com on Monday afternoon for the full reveal.

ACIV_pack.jpg

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/assassin-s-creed-iv-confirmed-for-current-gen-exclusive-content-on-ps3/0111612

*sigh*

Give the series a little rest, eh, Ubisoft? We don't need a new title every year. And the whole exclusive content thing is bullshit.