Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

I couldn't resist.

13584007606rkbsmosfp.png

We should make that an official SSMB banner just to turn some heads.

Though it needs its slogan under the logo.

Anyone else experiencing problems with that Moji Maker Z site? It's no longer working for me for some reason when it did a few days ago.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's working again now.

Edited by Inferno

Very nostalgic. I'm partial to DBZ myself. My mother remembers Frieza as the scary villain to this day.

The time travel gimmick, while easy to understand once you look at it some, was still kind of unnecessary. Why couldn't Cell just be from the present?

Buu is... well. He was born because fans wanted more DBZ than any storytelling decision. That should tell you enough about it. Buu's most awesome moment was butchering the entire Earth in a matter of moments. Never before has the wise Piccolo been so totally owned.

I've never seen Kai but I like how it tries to recreate Toriyama's vision - the series ends with Cell and Goku passing the torch as the world's strongest to his son.

The most annoying thing in the franchise is how quick the power levels surge until it gets ridiculous. The non-Saiyans become useless, and rather than making villains more clever and require tactical thinking, it just becomes a constant jockeying of who's on top at a given moment. It's a work of fiction, not international geopolitics.

Needless to say I've been asked to avoid "DBZ Syndrome" with my Sonic webcomic for this reason. And I agree; I want villains who are defeated through thinking, not just "POWER UP AND BLOW THEM UP."

-snippet about Kenji Yamamoto-

I, too, loved Yamamoto's score. He was perfect for modern-day Dragon Ball music. Too bad he got himself into trouble, though. :/

However, I think I do know of a good replacement composer. Ever seen Toriko? The composer for the show is Hiromi Mizutani, and he makes some pretty good stuff. His music kind of sounds like Yamamoto's, too. Check this out:

Edited by MugiMikey

I've never seen Kai but I like how it tries to recreate Toriyama's vision - the series ends with Cell and Goku passing the torch as the world's strongest to his son.
Watch Kai, its worth the time to see a refreshed DBZ in a cut-down format. its not over either, the only reason why it ended at cell is because they wouldn't fund it anymore in japan due to low ratings (which is crazy seeing as theres renewed hype for the new movie 14). but it pulled a sonic X and an international company (Most likely FUNimation or Nickelodeon) is funding the rest of KAI to be finished.

Kai will be back soon so its good to catch up now.

I, too, loved Yamamoto's score. He was perfect for modern-day Dragon Ball music. Too bad he got himself into trouble, though. :/

However, I think I do know of a good replacement composer. Ever seen Toriko? The composer for the show is Hiromi Mizutani, and he makes some pretty good stuff. His music kind of sounds like Yamamoto's, too. Check this out:

He has a very nice score, similar to Yamamotos. but can he do a rocking beat like how Yamamoto did?

Edited by goku262002

Watch Kai, its worth the time to see a refreshed DBZ in a cut-down format. its not over either, the only reason why it ended at cell is because they wouldn't fund it anymore in japan due to low ratings (which is crazy seeing as theres renewed hype for the new movie 14). but it pulled a sonic X and an international company (Most likely FUNimation or Nickelodeon) is funding the rest of KAI to be finished.

That's not true. The ratings were actually very high. Japanese TV works differently than it does here. When it comes to anime, ratings aren't the determining factor... it's merchandise. The shows are funded off the merchandise that's sold. In other words, kids loved to watch Dragon Ball Kai, but they didn't feel the need to go out and buy the toys. The difference between DBK and Sonic X is that DBK received great ratings and bad merchandising sales and Sonic X did poorly in both areas.

He has a very nice score, similar to Yamamotos. but can he do a rocking beat like how Yamamoto did?

And three more because they wouldn't embed like the first two for some reason:

I'd post more but I figured these are the ones worth checking out the most. tongue.png

Edited by MugiMikey

That's not true. The ratings were actually very high. Japanese TV works differently than it does here. When it comes to anime, ratings aren't the determining factor... it's merchandise. The shows are funded off the merchandise that's sold. In other words, kids loved to watch Dragon Ball Kai, but they didn't feel the need to go out and buy the toys. The difference between DBK and Sonic X is that DBK received great ratings and bad merchandising sales and Sonic X did poorly in both areas.

Well thats interesting thought that it was ratings that were the killer. yeah I don't remember much merchandise for Kai other then clothes and assessories. unless those $100+ statues counted as well, and fuck thats pricey merch if thats the case.

And three more because they wouldn't embed like the first two for some reason:

I'd post more but I figured these are the ones worth checking out the most. tongue.png

I can see the composer goes for allot of orchestra with his works. nothing of an actual rock beat though.

Well thats interesting thought that it was ratings that were the killer. yeah I don't remember much merchandise for Kai other then clothes and assessories. unless those $100+ statues counted as well, and fuck thats pricey merch if thats the case.

There were a couple of toys... and some... of these:

dragonball_kai_tobikiri_saikyo_mini_fryp

and... yeah. Didn't work out so well.

At least Dragon Ball is hot enough in international markets to warrant another season!

I can see the composer goes for allot of orchestra with his works. nothing of an actual rock beat though.

Well, to be fair, Yamamoto's score mostly consisted of orchestra too. Only a few of his tracks, in comparison to the rest of his work for the show, were actually rock. I'm sure Mizutani could pull off a couple of nice rock pieces if he so desired.

Edited by MugiMikey
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now you can do this too!

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm, perhaps I shall try it sometime.

I really LIKED the idea of it ending at Cell but I guess this is okay too... :(

At least Dragon Ball is hot enough in international markets to warrant another season!

Well, to be fair, Yamamoto's score mostly consisted of orchestra too. Only a few of his tracks, in comparison to the rest of his work for the show, were actually rock. I'm sure Mizutani could pull off a couple of nice rock pieces if he so desired.

Why did they think that would work?! true, Japan can be brave and bold when it comes to merchandise, but seriously...

Yeah, I notice Mizutani just sticks to orchestra only, it was nice when Yamamoto mixed both. if Mizutani can pull that off, he make a good replacement.

New movie info!

Shonen Jump was leaked recently, and with it came a few scans and info.

Taking Buu and Gohan by the hair, this is Birusu’s overwhelming power!! Can Goku possibly win against such a foe?

God of Destruction and Artificial Human?! Super battles between Birusu and the warriors of Earth will be made a reality one after another!!

What’s this?! That Pilaf gang has been turned into children…?!

Vegeta has met Birusu before?!

Even Vegeta is no match before Birusu!! At any rate, it appears that Birusu has an interest in the Saiyans…?!

Who is the warrior that the God of Destruction seeks?!

bogvjump-698x1024.jpg

http://www.dblegends.com/2013/01/new-battle-of-gods-info-and-scans/

We also got character art. Damn near everyone that's not a full Saiyan, a Namekian, or a deity got a wardrobe change. Some of the art is...a bit wonky though.

chara_img24.png

chara_img22.png

Wonder why the Pilaf gang were turned into kids...seems random.

chara_img20.png

chara_img14.png

chara_img12.png

chara_img08.png

chara_img03.png

http://www.dblegends.com/2013/01/new-battle-of-gods-character-art/

Ox-KIng is definitely my favorite of the bunch.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 2

...I will never not hate post-Cell Gohan. .___.

...Seriously, he looks so goddamned lame.

• Thumbs Up 8

He reminds me of Bob Saget. Which is fine by me. tongue.png

I like the devil head on Videl's shirt too. I'm also surprised by her relative height compared to the others, and that she seems as short as she was in the manga. Never would have expected that detail to be so visibly shown.

Do you guys think Pilaf and his gang being turned into kids is a nod on how they cause Goku to be turn into a kid in GT? It's good to see them back though.

Yup, I know exactly where this movie is headed; everyone is getting beaten to make the villain(and Goku) look better. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Fucking amazing, they waste absolutely no time in showing how Adult Gohan will suck like he's always had post Cell saga. The literal first screenshot I've seen of this movie is him getting his ass kicked along with a fat tub of pink lard that also kicked his ass (and on more than one occasion!).

Seriously, have you writers learned nothing!?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 5

Who says its the same writers seeing as they clearly forgot that GOHAN DOESN'T NEED SUPER SAIYAN ANYMORE AT THIS POINT!!

But then again Super Saiyan is a weak state for gohan and maybe he didn't want to show his full power right away. god I need to see this movie...

I am seriously feeling a stronger nerd-rage right now than i have felt in a very, very long time.

I mean JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, why oh WHY do apparently NONE of the Dragonball-writers except Toriyama himself realize that Gohan is supposed to be STRONGER than Goku?

You have to excuse me venting this nerd-rage of mine with ALL-CAPS like this, but good GOD. Yes, i know that the Japanese DB-fanbase likes Goku a lot more than Gohan and the same is undoubtably true for the western fanbase too, but still, good fucking grief this is so annoying.

• Thumbs Up 5

There's another screenshot of SSJ3 Goku getting stopped by just Bills's finger, so he's joining in the fun of getting bopped around.

We still don't know how the movie will end. It sounds like a broken record, but still, the last time SSJ3 didn't do the trick, we were treated to Gogeta. For all we know, the Genki Dama may make a movie return. Or EVERYONE pitches in for a final attack, a la the Triple Kamehameha against Broly.

And I think the Gohan we see in the art is a clear indication that he hasn't been training for a very long time, while Goku's been training nonstop since Kid Buu, in preparation for his rematch 10 years later. It's not impossible for Goku to overtake Gohan in that amount of time.

I just got some Toriko DVDs myself.

I did not get too far in Kai before I stopped getting DVDs.

There's another screenshot of SSJ3 Goku getting stopped by just Bills's finger, so he's joining in the fun of getting bopped around.

We still don't know how the movie will end. It sounds like a broken record, but still, the last time SSJ3 didn't do the trick, we were treated to Gogeta. For all we know, the Genki Dama may make a movie return. Or EVERYONE pitches in for a final attack, a la the Triple Kamehameha against Broly.

And I think the Gohan we see in the art is a clear indication that he hasn't been training for a very long time, while Goku's been training nonstop since Kid Buu, in preparation for his rematch 10 years later. It's not impossible for Goku to overtake Gohan in that amount of time.

While that may be the case, it's never explicitly explained as such. So for all we know, it's just the writers wanking on Goku's dick again; they did this shit on Wrath of the Dragon too, and it's so fucking annoying to see. They can't even remember Gohan has no need, nor is able to become a Super Saiyan yet here he is again. *sigh* I really hope the animation is good at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fucking amazing, they waste absolutely no time in showing how Adult Gohan will suck like he's always had post Cell saga. The literal first screenshot I've seen of this movie is him getting his ass kicked along with a fat tub of pink lard that also kicked his ass (and on more than one occasion!).

Dragonball > Writing

Ahahahahaha, let's all laugh at the funny joke. :lol:

Seriously though, come on; we all know more or less exactly how this movie is going to play out overall. The villain will come along, start blowing shit up and killing people before one or two of the main characters turn up and start fighting. All the other characters will gradually turn up in a steady stream and get their asses handed to them one by one, whilst Goku is written out of the plot for a bit for some dumb reason so that everyone can get their asses kicked screentime. He'll then turn up after everyone is almost dead and win. The end.

You know, because it's not like that's how almost every DBZ plot is ever, or anything. mellow.png

• Thumbs Up 1