Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

Anyways, just to make it clear - I'm not avoiding Kai as such, it's just that I have seen Dragonball/DBZ so many times in the past decade that I pretty much know all of the sagas already! biggrin.png (and might I add I actually like some of the filler, such as the driving school and Vegeta and Nappa tearing that bug planet a new one... :B )

I have too, still watched KAI though because its the easiest form of DBZ to absorb. that and they just renewed KAI so Season 4 will finish up the series so if you haven't started KAI you should before Buu Saga starts.

Edited by goku262002

It matters if the name is a pun, which many of the Dragonball names are - if it's changed in translation, the joke gets lost. For a while I had no idea that Tien/Tenshinhan's name was a joke. I get things like dropping "sama", although I am sure anyone who watches Dragonball with any zeal probably knows what sama means!

Anyways, just to make it clear - I'm not avoiding Kai as such, it's just that I have seen Dragonball/DBZ so many times in the past decade that I pretty much know all of the sagas already! biggrin.png (and might I add I actually like some of the filler, such as the driving school and Vegeta and Nappa tearing that bug planet a new one... :B )

If it's a Japanese pun, how the hell are American audiences supposed to get it?

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree that the pun would be "lost" in translation even if Tenshinhan's name was kept. But what doesn't make sense is they changed the name for no reason even when they didn't have to, and they retained it while fixing other errors. That's why it's a little annoying. Similarly, Kuririn's name is a pun too and unless you know Japanese you won't get it. I don't mind "Kuririn" as "Krillin" because it's so much easier to pronounce in English while also sounding close to the original. "Tien" isn't there to make the name easier to pronounce, it's just an unnecessary liberty FUNi decided to go with.

Do yourself a favor and watch english KAI (find the Kenji Yamamoto versions if possible).

DBZKAI is the definitive version of DBZ in dubbed form.

Was he able to complete Kami's last episodes during the beginnings of the Cell Arc before passing away or did they hire a new VA?

Would've been a fitting end to be honest. getting to VA your character 1 last time before you die. its like Kami went with him.

He was already really ill when the Cell came so he had to be replaced beforehand. (By JP Broly)

It seems that Tien/Ten was not in the Table special (Vegeta's brother) because his seiyuu Hirotaka Suzuoki had died of lung cancer in 2006. (That would explain his voice credit being the same guy who played #16)

Edited by Set DOB: 12/29

A Retro member brought up a good point. We do kind of have to thank Evolution for having Movie 14's existance put into motion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8PuV0gjrSI

Here's a working version of the trailer.

This is an international co-production between 20th Century Fox and Toei Animation, so chances are 20th Century Fox are going to bring it state-side in some capacity and they'll have Funimation do the dub since Funi owns the US rights to the series. Are we going to see a Dreamworks/Pixar sized wide release in theaters with a matching marketing campaign? No. What we might get is a limited theater release, or a DVD/Blu-Ray release handled by Fox. They're aware there is an audience for DBZ here, and they already had the rights to make another DBZ movie, so they're already making smart decisions.

There were talks that Fox would do a sequel to Evolution, because face it, the movie was made on a $20 million -$50 million budget and made them over $100 million in overseas ticket sales, so it was hardly a flop. The problem was, those people who bought the tickets for it the first time around might not buy the tickets the second time around. What to do with these rights that we could lose? Well, let's just dump some money on Toei and tell them "do what you did twenty years ago, we'll just put it out for you." In a business way, this is more of a "sequel" to Evolution than an actual DBZ movie. This is their answer to a follow up, and by god it is one of the smartest moves any studio handling a license has ever made.

This is all speculation based on the fact that, yes, Fox owns the theatrical rights to the franchise and making DBE actually extended those rights for them for a few years, and the fact that DBZ is a license to print money. The budget for this was probably the same as Evolution if not considerably less, and this time around they'll probably do much better business, so you know what? I take back what I said. We could see an Evolution sized release here in the states. Evolution made enough money for them to say "fuck it, why not? lets try it."

Edited by goku262002

No matter how much we hate the english or japanese dubs, agree with me on this. They are better than the 'Big Green' dub. I think it's the Malaysian dub? What idiot renames piccolo Big Green? Why are the saiyans the space warriors now? Why are half the cast sounding like old men?

What idiot renames piccolo Big Green?

Well, in the Italian dub his name is Junior and that is still better than "Big Green".

Yeah so? Its a DLC outfit for preordering Ultimate Ninja Storm 3.

And Masashi Kishimoto said he owes allot to Dragonball for getting him into the manga industry. in a way, its just a fan paying tribute to 1 of his favorite mangas. whats wrong with that?

I don't have a problem with it, but a lot of the more....excited Dragon Ball fans are raging like no other.

I don't have a problem with it, but a lot of the more....excited Dragon Ball fans are raging like no other.

Source this. I gotta see this idiocy. 

Well, in the Italian dub his name is Junior and that is still better than "Big Green".

That's not really incorrect. When he was first introduced he used the alias "Demon Junior" at the tournament, but he's definitely Piccolo Junior.

Anyway, it turns out the dub of DBZ Kai that's going to air in the UK is the FUNi dub. It's kinda nice because I hate how these alternate dubs divide the fanbase, but part of me still wants to see this new and "amazing" Ocean dub. Apparently their dub is better than FUNi's, but we'll see.

So wait does this mean the Ocean version is no more?

Shame because I would've liked to have seen them do a second chance and get things right they didn't the first time around.

That's not really incorrect. When he was first introduced he used the alias "Demon Junior" at the tournament, but he's definitely Piccolo Junior.

Oh, but I like to call him Junior. In fact, I use both "Piccolo" and "Junior" when I refer to that character.

I mean, it's not like Piccolo Daimao, who became "Al Satan" in the Italian dub. Or Jaozi, who inexplicably became "Rif".

Calling Piccolo by his father's name or "Junior" are both correct! "Al Satan" sounds a little weird...

So wait does this mean the Ocean version is no more?

Shame because I would've liked to have seen them do a second chance and get things right they didn't the first time around.

Apparently it's still in production, but it'll be a Canada exclusive. I'm looking forward to it too. From what I've heard, it's supposed to be amazing. The ONLY thing I don't want to have come from it, like I've said, are more FUNi vs. Ocean wars. Those are ridiculous.

Honestly I just want to see what they will do with the over 9000 joke since it was their dub that become the legendary meme.

The long-awaited sequel to Dragonzball P arrived yesterday.

I'm laughing so much harder than I should.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would love if they get Bruce Faulcouner to do the music for the US version of the upcoming DBZ 2013 movie. I really wish someone would play those themes and ballads for Akira Toriyama to get his impression of it.

I also wonder what the DBZ fans in Japan think of the Bruce Faulcouner music. I wonder if they discuss on forums about that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so lets bitch about Kenji Yamamoto for a second since you guys decided to tick me off on the statues.

We won. Ok?

Kenji has been fired and never to touch the DB franchise again. I'm sure theres a restraining order that he can't even own a DVD of DB/Z/GT without getting his ass in trouble.

His works have been purged officially. Even Hironobu Kageyama suffered for this because his OPs got purged because of Kenji was the background composer.

We have generic rock music done by some unknown composer for the games now, and most if not all of it blows.

DBZ Kai now has its old JP music that doesn't fit anything. Shunsuke Kikuchi's work was made for the original Z, the music was made to reflect the long drawn out scenes. all of it cut up and mashed in Kai just doesn't fit at all.

And KAIZEX has an article that they will never let people forget about what hes done.

But, Can I ask, why do we still feel the need to keep comparing and finding?

We still have this iinsistent need to keep finding and comparing musical works hes done with other works. but whats the purpose?! 

Theres no point now! we won this long drawn out fight to let Bandai and everyone else know that they hired a plagiarist the guys ruined as a composer and I'm sure his life is still in shambles 2 years after Kai ended and they finally took action on what he was getting away with. 

Why aren't we letting it go and let Kenji repair whats left of his life? are we hunting after his blood or something?! and for what?! we didn't get hurt by any of this and I'm sure the people he copied works from are dealing with it. why do we care still?!

I was a fan of Kenji's works and I liked them still even after I found out most of his catalog was plagiarized but what wasn't plagiarized was still good and he was a good composer on the tracks he did create himself. I liked the stuff he brought to the DBZ franchise, he was a nice change from the pro-JP only or pro-US only groups. and I'll always like the stuff he did for KAI even though 2-3 tracks were direct copy-paste. Now the music in the games bores the hell out of me because its either reused tenkaichi tracks or lazy butt rock and whenever I'm watching Kai it just makes me wish for the old tracks I heard before because of the badly cut Kikuchi tracks.

They really need to find someone like Kenji again. theres tons of good composers out there.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

Info on the 2013 movie will be shown in the next issue of Shonen Jump, so keep an eye on that in the next few days.

But for now, this shot was apparently leaked.

mqdefault.jpg

Also, Bils is the next character featured in Dragonball Heroes.

EDIT: http://www.saiyanisland.com/2013/01/dragon-ball-z-battle-of-gods-promos-and-tie-ins/

Whole bunch of merchandise for the movie. You can even make your own DBZ-themed logo!

DBZ-BoG-Promo-01.jpg

The mini-Shuu and Pilaf are back on the poster, bordered around the release date.

Edited by Obnoxious Celtic Guardian
  • Thumbs Up 1

Info on the 2013 movie will be shown in the next issue of Shonen Jump, so keep an eye on that in the next few days.But for now, this shot was apparently leaked.[img=http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/7ySj4byy4YQ/mqdefault.jpg]Also, Bils is the next character featured in Dragonball Heroes.EDIT: http://www.saiyanisland.com/2013/01/dragon-ball-z-battle-of-gods-promos-and-tie-ins/Whole bunch of merchandise for the movie. You can even make your own DBZ-themed logo![img=http://images.saiyanisland.com/data/602/DBZ-BoG-Promo-01.jpg]The mini-Shuu and Pilaf are back on the poster, bordered around the release date.
So much nostalgia from that pic man.