Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed -- Portable Versions (3DS,PSVITA,iOS)

Unidus

It looks pretty bad, if the 3DS was built from scratch, it should have had different level design to make use of the 3DS' limited assets, this just looks awful compared to Vita & HD/PC :/

I'm having a hard time accepting that it was built from scratch. From a graphical standpoint it's pretty impressive (if the frame rate were a non-issue I think most people would have different feeling about the graphics) with some of the stages coming relatively close to Vita in terms of geometry while having adequate lighting. The water even looks great in some levels (bad in others, they definitely spent more time optimizing some levels vs. others) with specular highlights creating the shimmering effect seen on consoles. 

The game looks like it had most of its assets ripped directly from the Vita version or were simply downgrades to fit the system rather than entirely rebuilt. 

It's unfortunate that both their ambition (somewhat lack of effort) may have been the game's downfall. Beyond the graphics issue it's definitely annoying that they decided to cheap out on the cartridge size which in turn resulted in the cut music and low quality sounds (though that may have been a move to squeeze out more power, the same is true of Revelation's gun sounds which is weird considering the fact that the system has a separate processor specifically for the sound, DSP). 

Overall the game just lacks polish from the sounds to even the stage intros (the camera is shifty and geometry clips). It could have been better, but I'm not completely disappointed with it. I'm eager to take a look at it with my own two eyes. I'm pretty tolerant of less than stellar frame rates. 

Edited by xxbrothawizxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here are some off screen videos of the game (I've always believed off-screen gave the most accurate representation of the 3DS games). 

Yea, I'm definitely picking it up.

The capture card footage didn't seem to do the game justice, especially in Dream Valley. The frame rate definitely isn't perfect and there is a small lack of polish overall, but I'm definitely buying it.

Edited by xxbrothawizxx

After seeing those videos, I have to agree. It does look good! Not perfect, and yeah yeah it could be better, but I think the game actually looks quite nice for a portable port of an HD title. The frame rate didn't kill the gameplay from what I was seeing. I don't know, maybe the DS/iOS version of the first game lowered my expectations. The 3DS version looks fun, and I can't wait to pick it up next week!

The game is playable, but it certainly has a terribad framerate. The way the vehicles transform is like 5FPS. The graphics (and the water) aren't that good either from what I'm seeing across all these videos. Mario Kart 7 is still a better racer for the 3DS, and I strongly recommend you get that instead of this if you haven't got MK7 already.

Sumo should have given it exclusive tracks that could of made the game look more pretty and with an exceptional framerate.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

I've only played about 20 minutes of the game so far, but yeah, god dayum dat framerate. The graphics aren't particularly impressive either, and the low resolution of the 3DS makes the already very busy tracks pretty hard to navigate.

Still, technical niggles aside, it seems near-identical to the HD version. 

Oh, and am I like the only person who got my DLC code working without any problems whatsoever on my first attempt? D:

Oh, and am I like the only person who got my DLC code working without any problems whatsoever on my first attempt? D:

Yes o.o

I will try later, but yesterday it just said to me "Error".

Well It seems I'm not alone and codes are still screwing around for me, I tried to call the helpline but that was no help, I also contacted sega on the issue just waiting to hear back, because whats more annoying is that the store wont work with my bank card even though I've brought games from the eshop in the past.

Is it me or 95% of all these 3DS videos, Amy seems to be the one to beat?  =p

EDIT: Found out that Lucky Dip and Arena are not available in the 3DS version.

EDIT 2: No online time attack either.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Is it me or 95% of all these 3DS videos, Amy seems to be the one to beat?  =p

EDIT: Found out that Lucky Dip and Arena are not available in the 3DS version.

EDIT 2: No online time attack either.

Indeed Amy seems to be the main challenge in this game, her or B.D joe, also for anyone having serial code issues with the 3DS then heres what to do, keeping changing your last digit till it works (Been working for a few others at the SEGA forums and worked for me) I contacted SEGA and they're in talks with Nintendo about it

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a pretty amusing glitch happen in the 3DS version's Burning Rangers track.

The first set of automatic doors didn't open- meaning that there was literally no way to proceed through the race. And the AI characters? Well...

94F28935-4F23-4FAE-B23D-C79D691566EE-632

:lol:

It's a shame I couldn't have filmed it, I was on the train at the time. They basically just kept butting against the wall and shouting at each other.

• Thumbs Up 3

Indeed Amy seems to be the main challenge in this game, her or B.D joe, also for anyone having serial code issues with the 3DS then heres what to do, keeping changing your last digit till it works (Been working for a few others at the SEGA forums and worked for me) I contacted SEGA and they're in talks with Nintendo about it

Wow, it really worked...thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just picked up the 3DS version and played a race. I think the true test of a portable version of a console title is if players who are great at the console version are able to race just as good in the portable version on their first go. Since I consider myself a skilled player when it comes to the 360 version (not record breaking good, but still good), I got right into the game and found the default controls to be about 90% perfect when compared to the console version. I was able to navigate the course with ease, made all the right drifts, hit rival racers with weapons on my first attempt. The only niggle is the trick system, which to be fair there aren't a lot of trick locations in Seaside Hill, so I've yet to really perfect that. I have a feeling that the other control option (triggers for gas and drifting) will work far better for me.

Graphics are great for a 3DS title, some of the best I've seen from a 3DS SEGA game. Even the characters are well rendered. The tradeoff, though, is the framerate which is neither high nor consistant, but it doesn't break the game for me. I mean, I've yet to see it grind to a halt or screw me over.

There are concessions made for the portable platform, as others have noted that some music has been trimmed from tracks, but comparing ASRT 3DS to ASR DS it is night and day. Still not 100% true to the console version, but way way more close than the DS version of the first game ever was.

I do like that the 3DS gets some of the Wii U bonuses, like the second map screen and the Mii car. Seeing as how I own the 360 version, the 3DS version is a great companion as it has stuff that the 360 version does not and vice versa. 

So far, not a slam dunk like the console version, but still a fun handheld version that has yet to really let me down. 

---

Oh yeah, I tried my code and it didn't work. I was given a message saying the game associated with my code has yet to release.

Got a similar message when trying to redeem my Club Nintendo points. Any idea as to when it'll be deemed "released"?

Edited by Barry the Nomad

SEGA has just updated their blog.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Out Now for Nintendo 3DS!

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/02/12/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-out-now-for-nintendo-3ds/

EDIT:

There's another dodgy trailer.

Wow, they really do hate AiAi don't they?

Also, DID YOU KNOW THE "D" IN 3DS STANDS FOR DANICA PATRICK!!!

yeah I just stopped watching after 4 seconds.

Let me guess... 7 second of footage, barely shows any characters, doesn't show any stage other than Dragon Canyon?

Am I about right?

yeah I just stopped watching after 4 seconds.

Let me guess... 7 second of footage, barely shows any characters, doesn't show any stage other than Dragon Canyon?

Am I about right?

Nope

Nope

Ok then so lets look.

4 second of game footage (not including the FMV segment).

3 characters shown in game (if you count BD Jo in the distance).

Dragon canyon, Wave Ocean and Cosmic... thingy... Sonic colours shown, and every track was shown from a high angle above the racer looking down so you can't see what the course looks like.

So which part of my prediction was wrong?

Right, played around 7-8 hours of the 3DS version so far.

It's much easier than the console version, if only because the traffic attack and tank missions aren't present. I've already cleared World Tour on Hard or above and unlocked AGES without any real difficulty. 

One weird (annoying) thing I've found is that sometimes, through no fault or action of my own, I'll randomly be told 'stunt failed!' and the screen will fade out like I've gone off the track. Except I didn't attempt a stunt or go off the track. D:

I have completed 105% of the game after 30 hours. Let's see if I can get all the stickers, but I see some of them come from streetpass and I don't see many people getting this game sad.png

Edited by Seraphinprincess

Once again I'll be wishing that one could 'Streetpass' online friends who are online at the same time you are, then.  I just last week got a Sonic Generations tag - number 2, and I've had the game since release day.  I'll have to get the guy at work to at least load my game into his 3DS, so I can Streetpass myself. . .