Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed -- Portable Versions (3DS,PSVITA,iOS)

Unidus

Uh, yes it is. Whether you want to admit it or not it is. The handheld versions will likely be very much irrelevant sales wise. Had all versions released at the same time (since the game did get some nice hype behind it at the release time) things could be different. But honestly I can't see those particular versions selling near enough to make up even for the costs of porting them. Very few AAA games release on ALL platforms, they usually just focus on 2 (PS3/360) or just on the handheld(s). And SASRT on the home consoles feels and plays like an AAA game. Those versions alone should have some high costs, especially in a time Sega has been forced to make some cuts (unfortunately).

I don't get it. If the handhelds are going to sell "less" and won't even make up the costs of porting them, how is THAT a cash grab? sleep.png

Call of Duty (PS3/360/PC) are more in lines of a cashgrab, more than the handhelds of Transformed.

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

That must be why the 3DS version of Sonic Generations is the only version still selling in the UK. rolleyes.gif  It was in the UK all-formats chart for the week ending Jan 26th 2013, while the console/PC version wasn't. 

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p%2Fsoftware%2Fuk%2Farchive%2Findex_test.jsp&ct=110015&arch=t&lyr=2013&year=2013&week=4

Did I mention Generations even once? Let's not pick oranges when talking apples. Be it as it may, being on chart for many weeks does not equal to selling "well". For all I know it could still be selling anything from 1k  to 10k per week/month, so unless you get some numbers for that it's a moot point (considering it's from a different game and all). The final real numbers from Sega we have are around 1.8 million(may be bigger since then of course) copies across ALL platforms (PS3, 360, 3DS and PC) which is very sub-par, when one considers that ever since this gen started it's been estimated that most games need around 1-1.5 million sales to break even (some less, some more of course). Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning as a recent example, managed to sell around 1.2 million copies in it's first 90 dies, but needed 3 million to break even. Which did not happen and brought the studio to a close, unfortunately.

Given the amount of time spent on the development of the handheld versions, the term "cash grab" is totally inaccurate. I wouldn't even assign the term "rushed" given that they were released 1-3 months after the console versions. 

Cash grab, to me, implies that they did little effort, rushed the things out and are hoping to make a quick buck. ASRT 3DS ain't that.

I'd say the Sonic Classic Collection for DS or Sonic the Hedgehog GBA are more in line with a cash grab.

---

The handheld versions may end up being imperfect or flawed when compared to the console versions, but I'd say that was due to the games trying to do more than the platforms and development time could allow.

Being announced does not equal real time of development. Case in point: Resistance: Burning Skies for the Vita and CoD: Black Ops Declassified also for the Vita. Announced way, way early, (CoD's case almost a full year early) and in the end both had like 6 months tops of dev time (sort of confirmed by Nihilist but nor in any oficial manner as you can surely imagine).

Cash brags consists more so in releasing the same game over the most broad selection of platforms possible, or like in the example below releasing every single year. And when you even try to release for iOS that says a lot. A whole lot. 

I sincerely doubt the "ground up" version of the 3DS will have anything over the console versions and will end up being a waste of time and money for Sega. I could be wrong of course, but I really doubt it. Sure it's nice that 3DS owners get to experience a great game, but sales will probably be bad.

I don't get it. If the handhelds are going to sell "less" and won't even make up the costs of porting them, how is THAT a cash grab? sleep.png

Call of Duty (PS3/360/PC) are more in lines of a cashgrab, more than the handhelds of Transformed.

That's what I think (and am almost 100% sure) will happen, not what Sega's objective is. Let's be clear here. Sega desperately needs money. They've had to cut back on many things and have been trying to streamline itself for quite some time. Releasing a game on all possible platforms gives you more chance of making more money back (assuming a very defined X number of sales per platform will happen) but also makes you spend quite a bit more money porting them or recreating them from the ground up. So if sales don't match up (which have been the case for Sonic games in recent years)...well you just wasted a considerable amount of money for nothing.

CoD games are a great example of cash grabs not in the sense of releasing in every possible platform but in the way of releasing every single year, basically being more or less the same game since 2007. However the main difference is that those do sell (like crazy in fact) so in the end it doesn't end up hurting Activision.

Given the amount of time spent on the development of the handheld versions, the term "cash grab" is totally inaccurate. I wouldn't even assign the term "rushed" given that they were released 1-3 months after the console versions. 

Cash grab, to me, implies that they did little effort, rushed the things out and are hoping to make a quick buck. ASRT 3DS ain't that.

I'd say the Sonic Classic Collection for DS or Sonic the Hedgehog GBA are more in line with a cash grab.

---

The handheld versions may end up being imperfect or flawed when compared to the console versions, but I'd say that was due to the games trying to do more than the platforms and development time could allow.

Sonic Genesis was a cash grab. Classic Collection was a way to make all the classic games excluding CD portable, which I loved to death.

Definitely going to need a demo to see if I can stand the frame rate but damn does the game looks impressive when disregarding that one aspect.

Terribad framerate. Wouldn't be such a problem were it not a racing game. It kinda makes the game feel slow. Colision looks different and the water is not dynamic. Noticeable screen tearing..Colours do look a lot more vivid. Guess the "extra time" for ground up version didn't do as much as some were hoping for. Well at least 3DS owners still get to enjoy the game. It does not however look like a valid option against MK7 for example (unlike it's "big brothers"). IMO at least.

Anyway glad the video is here. About time we finally got to see some decent gameplay. 

That is so slow at the end there...

EDIT: And why does the Blowfish icon look like some freakish ghost? x.x

So all this 3DS hate is making me think I shouldn't get it if it's that bad, all I wanted was a decent portable Sonic Racer :c

I also noticed the Super Sonic Racing part of the song has been cut out! Bad Sumo, bad! =o

EDIT: Does this mean "Everyone Jump Around" part in Graffiti City got cut out too? *rechecks old vid*

EDIT 2: IT HAS BEEN CUT OUT! My fav part of the song has been cut!

So all this 3DS hate is making me think I shouldn't get it if it's that bad, all I wanted was a decent portable Sonic Racer :c

Do keep in mind that none of us here have actually played the 3DS version yet, if ever. It playing better than it appears is very much possible.

Do keep in mind that none of us here have actually played the 3DS version yet, if ever. It playing better than it appears is very much possible.

True. It may have just been the video capture (it does happen sometimes, even to pro's).

Personally though, very much doubt it. I have a feeling it'll play just as it looks. Of course I could be wrong (wouldn't be surprised if I was too).

Well if you look at the YouTube comments, the owner said the framerate's not too hot and you will not see much in the video....(but we can see it)

I have to convince my friend to buy Transformed 3DS this Tuesday so I can have a go on it...

I also noticed the Super Sonic Racing part of the song has been cut out! Bad Sumo, bad!

EDIT: Does this mean "Everyone Jump Around" part in Graffiti City got cut out too? *rechecks old vid*

EDIT 2: IT HAS BEEN CUT OUT! My fav part of the song has been cut!

Fuck, they've cut the music up!? Screw this game.

Well, at least the gameplay still looks somewhat enjoyable; I'm not one to dismiss a game if it at least has that going for it.

Carrier Zone 3DS Gameplay:

EDIT: Tails' All-Star move looks...interesting. D=

Carrier Zone 3DS Gameplay:

EDIT: Tails' All-Star move looks...interesting. D=

... Eh, I still think the gameplay looks alright.

Am I the only one who doesn't find the framerate that awful? Maybe it's just a side effect of the video but it looks perfectly playable to me. That water looks ugly as sin though. =/

• Thumbs Up 4

I was going to ask if one of the reasons why it looked so slow is that the player is playing on the lower difficulties and that it's being recorded through a capture device as apposed to off the screen.

But looking at it, theres definately some big drops, mainly when he takes the corners.

Decent you say ? Well look no further than the PS Vita version which I think is the best handheld version between the two (from what I've just seen above and just playing the PSV version) and at least visually more pleasing to the eye than the 3DS version.

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft

She doesn't own a Vita though, otherwise I would had said that myself to her.

Yeah I haven't picked up a Vita... Yet, but I may since I'm eyeing up the Project Diva special edition one :P

• Thumbs Up 2