Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed -- Portable Versions (3DS,PSVITA,iOS)

Unidus

For anyone that does care (since there seems to be a discussion going on):

3DS version:

8444115515_ec616ac169.jpg

8444115655_7b60ba2ef4.jpg

8444115607_2631ceeaa2.jpg

8444115565_d08c851040.jpg

Link: http://blogs.sega.com/2013/02/04/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-3ds-races-into-stores/

Vita version:

Sonic-All-Stars-Racing-Transformed-Vita-

Link: http://www.analoghype.com/video-games/sonic-sega-all-stars-racing-transformed-looks-marvelous-on-the-vita/

But quite honestly, if you don't get this on home consoles/PC you're just doing wrong :P

Remind me, has it been totally confirmed that, like Wii U, all copies of ASRT 3DS will be special edition?  I dun wanna buy this right away because I'm low on moneys lately so I'd rather keep my cash for Luigi's Mansion 2 since I don't already have that game on Wii U lol.  But at the same time I love the Outrun Bay track enough to grab this at launch if I might not be assured it later on.

3DS screens are never representational of actually playing the game. They always look to sharp or blurry or jaggy to me.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah I've gotten pretty good at "translating" 3DS images into how they'll prolly look in the game in my head.  This looks pretty good in mental 3DS-vision.  It looks bright and poppy, which'll look good in 3D and be very appropriate for the small screen.  I admit while the Wii U screen support was very appreciated, it was a little harder to play on the small screen than on my TV with the cluttered (but oh so pretty) graphics.

Edited by JezMM

3DS screens are never representational of actually playing the game. They always look to sharp or blurry or jaggy to me.

Well if you really want to go down that road, technically very, very few screens are representational of any game's gameplay. I bet, for example that the Vita (in gameplay) does not look as sharp and things look a blurrier (which could be better or worse during gameplay). It is however what he have so far for comparisons sake, until someone get's clear footage of both versions(as in, no off-screen crap which makes everything look x10 better than what they are).

So take whatever conclusions you may want to take :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Same goes for the Vita really (although it's much closer)

EDIT: LOL, those are our Vita screens!

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

To answer your question, Jez, the first supply of 3DS games seem to come with a Outrun Bay+Metal Sonic voucher like the PS3/360/Vita versions.

Those 3DS screens look pretty good for blown up jaggy 3DS screens.

I'd love to see how the game actually looks in action, though.

The 3DS was formally announced on the Sega Blog. It's coming to Europe on the 8th and North America on the 12th.....not that there wasn't enough clues to know that already, but at least we have set dates now.

Wait, really? How are people getting copies already?

Well if you really want to go down that road, technically very, very few screens are representational of any game's gameplay. I bet, for example that the Vita (in gameplay) does not look as sharp and things look a blurrier (which could be better or worse during gameplay). It is however what he have so far for comparisons sake, until someone get's clear footage of both versions(as in, no off-screen crap which makes everything look x10 better than what they are).

So take whatever conclusions you may want to take tongue.png

You usually don't have unbelievably obvious and heavy compression such as is the case with the 3DS screens though. They honestly make the game look like a DS game and from just watching the blurry video you can tell that certainly isn't the case.

The Vita screen cap function does make game look horrid at time though. 

Wait, really? How are people getting copies already?

Eastern Europe tend to break release dates alot. 

I don't think so until we hear more about it. They said they have plans, but the plans could have been scrapped a while ago.

So, does anyone still think the iOS version is even being released anymore?

I figure it'll get a port of the 3DS or Vita version somewhere down the line. 

I figure it'll get a port of the 3DS or Vita version somewhere down the line. 

It's most likely the 3DS version if the 3GS is still supported by Apple.

So, does anyone still think the iOS version is even being released anymore?

I got a slightly better question: will there ever be an Android version?

You usually don't have unbelievably obvious and heavy compression such as is the case with the 3DS screens though. They honestly make the game look like a DS game and from just watching the blurry video you can tell that certainly isn't the case.

The Vita screen cap function does make game look horrid at time though. 

True, and while I fully believe gameplay looks much better there are some things that just really can't be argued. Textures, low res models, colours, and even framerate (going by a couple of off-screen videos that may not represent how the game actually works), etc just can't be denied. The Vita version I'd say is somewhere in the gap between the 3DS version and the home consoles/PC versions. Make what you will of it, but honestly I'd only play this in the home consoles/PC (my case the PS3). That's where the game really shines and proves itself. Handhelds just feel like a quick cash grab by Sega (which may end up being another money sink for them in fact).

The 3DS version should do well due to the audience of Kart racing fans.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

True, and while I fully believe gameplay looks much better there are some things that just really can't be argued. Textures, low res models, colours, and even framerate (going by a couple of off-screen videos that may not represent how the game actually works), etc just can't be denied. The Vita version I'd say is somewhere in the gap between the 3DS version and the home consoles/PC versions. Make what you will of it, but honestly I'd only play this in the home consoles/PC (my case the PS3). That's where the game really shines and proves itself. Handhelds just feel like a quick cash grab by Sega (which may end up being another money sink for them in fact).

I don't know if I'd call rebuilding the game for one platform a cash grab. The Vita version certainly, but not the 3DS version. SEGA has seen time and time again that their handheld titles on nintendo platforms do better than or equal to their home console siblings and their decision to greenlight a rebuild of the game shows their dedication to creating a quality 3DS title. They knew this would be in their best interest because the 3DS version is very likely to outsell the other SKUs.

I think people are judging the game solely in comparison to the other SKUs and not as a 3DS title. I understand the sense in comparing SKUs, but I think we should give credit where credit seems due. We'll find out for ourselves this week anyway.

I don't know if I'd call rebuilding the game for one platform a cash grab. The Vita version certainly, but not the 3DS version.

Handhelds just feel like a quick cash grab by Sega (which may end up being another money sink for them in fact).

Um, no. Making it available to everyone isn't a "cash grab" at all.

Um, no. Making it available to everyone isn't a "cash grab" at all.

Uh, yes it is. Whether you want to admit it or not it is. The handheld versions will likely be very much irrelevant sales wise. Had all versions released at the same time (since the game did get some nice hype behind it at the release time) things could be different. But honestly I can't see those particular versions selling near enough to make up even for the costs of porting them. Very few AAA games release on ALL platforms, they usually just focus on 2 (PS3/360) or just on the handheld(s). And SASRT on the home consoles feels and plays like an AAA game. Those versions alone should have some high costs, especially in a time Sega has been forced to make some cuts (unfortunately).

The only reason to get both versions of the game are if you are a harcore Sonic/Sega fan (which are not that many) or you really, really like the game (which again, considering the overall sales of the game shouldn't be all that many either). So, an obvious cash grab is obvious. 

I don't know if I'd call rebuilding the game for one platform a cash grab. The Vita version certainly, but not the 3DS version. SEGA has seen time and time again that their handheld titles on nintendo platforms do better than or equal to their home console siblings and their decision to greenlight a rebuild of the game shows their dedication to creating a quality 3DS title. They knew this would be in their best interest because the 3DS version is very likely to outsell the other SKUs.

I think people are judging the game solely in comparison to the other SKUs and not as a 3DS title. I understand the sense in comparing SKUs, but I think we should give credit where credit seems due. We'll find out for ourselves this week anyway.

The only reason they had to build from the ground up is that difference in power between the 3DS and Vita is too great to simply just port the direct console version. The Vita still manages to somewhat keep up to direct console ports (however it already has to give up on quite some stuff). The 3DS simply doesn't handle it. It's obvious that if they wanted it on the 3DS they'd have to make it from the ground up for it (thus the many, many differences even in simple stuff like the HUD). Don't fool yourself. I doubt the 3DS of this particular game will sell all that well, much less outsell anything. No hype, no advertising, just simply releasing out of the blue.

That doesn't make miracles you know? Especially when all existing ads are for the home console versions and not for either handheld version. Expect terribad sales for both handhelds. 

Uh, yes it is. Whether you want to admit it or not it is. The handheld versions will likely be very much irrelevant sales wise. Had all versions released at the same time (since the game did get some nice hype behind it at the release time) things could be different. But honestly I can't see those particular versions selling near enough to make up even for the costs of porting them. Very few AAA games release on ALL platforms, they usually just focus on 2 (PS3/360) or just on the handheld(s). And SASRT on the home consoles feels and plays like an AAA game. Those versions alone should have some high costs, especially in a time Sega has been forced to make some cuts (unfortunately).

The only reason to get both versions of the game are if you are a harcore Sonic/Sega fan (which are not that many) or you really, really like the game (which again, considering the overall sales of the game shouldn't be all that many either). So, an obvious cash grab is obvious. 

The only reason they had to build from the ground up is that difference in power between the 3DS and Vita is too great to simply just port the direct console version. The Vita still manages to somewhat keep up to direct console ports (however it already has to give up on quite some stuff). The 3DS simply doesn't handle it. It's obvious that if they wanted it on the 3DS they'd have to make it from the ground up for it (thus the many, many differences even in simple stuff like the HUD). Don't fool yourself. I doubt the 3DS of this particular game will sell all that well, much less outsell anything. No hype, no advertising, just simply releasing out of the blue.

That doesn't make miracles you know? Especially when all existing ads are for the home console versions and not for either handheld version. Expect terribad sales for both handhelds. 

That must be why the 3DS version of Sonic Generations is the only version still selling in the UK. rolleyes.gif  It was in the UK all-formats chart for the week ending Jan 26th 2013, while the console/PC version wasn't. 

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p%2Fsoftware%2Fuk%2Farchive%2Findex_test.jsp&ct=110015&arch=t&lyr=2013&year=2013&week=4

• Thumbs Up 1

Given the amount of time spent on the development of the handheld versions, the term "cash grab" is totally inaccurate. I wouldn't even assign the term "rushed" given that they were released 1-3 months after the console versions. 

Cash grab, to me, implies that they did little effort, rushed the things out and are hoping to make a quick buck. ASRT 3DS ain't that.

I'd say the Sonic Classic Collection for DS or Sonic the Hedgehog GBA are more in line with a cash grab.

---

The handheld versions may end up being imperfect or flawed when compared to the console versions, but I'd say that was due to the games trying to do more than the platforms and development time could allow.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 7