Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed -- Portable Versions (3DS,PSVITA,iOS)

Unidus

I'm incredibly eager to check out a demo. It looks pretty good for the 3DS version of a PS3/360 game even if the frame rate isn't solid. The detail is on a whole other level compared to MK7 though at the expense of frame rate. We'll see though.

Any news on whether the Bonus Edition will be available digitally?

Edited by xxbrothawizxx

On a positive note, you see extra detail with barred glass...

Got to stop you there. No way that the 3DS has got more detail than Vita's barred glass. Heck, the 3DS version has way bigger squares than the Vita's. The pillars that hold the glass has more detail too.

Here is a water comparison I quickly made.

*pic*

Differences to note:

Elimination of water "draft"

Water looking completely different - it actually looks a lot better on the inferior 3DS version. The Vita version resembles some sort of one textured color base while the 3DS has many different colors with depth being thrown in. And overall, the color of the water pops much better (3D too!) on the 3DS version.....

Again, got to stop you there. I think this water thing, is over exaggerated and getting more ridiculous. Sure Ocean View's water "and" Burning Depths' water (as what Hogfather pointed out earlier) are bad. Hands up to that. However, any other water section in this version is good for a handheld. Examples:

4CbwBFh.jpg

jdGRBAb.jpg

lPSsXGj.jpg

Ct3e3a6.jpg

These water sections look fine and exceptional. Different shades used. Just because Ocean View's water is bad, doesn't mean every water section in this game is bad. This is why I think IGN has only played the Vita version for like 5 minutes before they put down the game and reviewed it.

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

I don't think you could have pulled worse screens to support your point if you tried.

The Vita versions water sections are certainly not exceptional at all. But this whole argument about the whole thing looking bad is over-exaggerated when you play it on the device itself.

The Vita versions water sections are certainly not exceptional at all.

Actually they are for a handheld. Which Vita racing game have you played has got better water physics?

Got to stop you there. No way that the 3DS has got more detail than

Vita's barred glass. Heck, the 3DS version has way bigger squares than

the Vita's. The pillars that hold the glass has more detail too.

You can obviously see that the VITA version removes the bars on the windows.

Hands up to that. However, any other water section in this version is good for a handheld. Examples:

The water still looks pretty bad on those tracks. I guarantee that the 3DS version will top it too. If you want, I'll go make more comparisons to prove you wrong but there isn't any footage. Tee hee!

One thing I did notice is that the water looks better in darker conditions. I saw this in the Ocean View footage. Whenever the water was taking place in a darker environment, some of the details showed. But it still wasn't even close to the quality the 3DS had.

The water is disappointing, and I don't get why you're defending it so much. I can agree that it looks passable in certain areas, but a huge step back from what the Vita can pull off. I have no idea why you're saying it gets more ridiculous each time it is mentioned. Oh boy, finally, a comparison!

@HogFather

Blame SEGA on not releasing any quality pictures and not doing any videos on the games themselves. I had to take a capture of poorly made videos. But anyways, you can obviously see the immense detail in the 3DS version and the 'carpet like water' in the Vita version.

Quote taken from you

The main problem I have with the looks is water. In Super Monkey Ball,

the water isn't them most nice looking I've ever seen, but it's

passable...

and then I played on Burning Rangers. The water on burnig

rangers is quite bad. Now I can play that track on the console version

quite well... but on the Vita it's another story, at times it was hard

to tell how high I was from the water due to the lack of texture and

detail on it.

Maybe they're over-exaggerated, but we're doing a 1 on 1 comparison. I guess you could say it's passable, but I say its bad. Especially when you know that for a powerful system like the Vita, it should be pulling off something more impressive than Gamecube.

Funny actually since I thought Water was easily to make under weak hardware.

Actually they are for a handheld. Which Vita racing game have you played has got better water physics?

Can we please stop pretending that the Vita is a machine that can't pull off great water graphics?

Edit: It's kind of weird now. You're saying they're passable, I think I've said they're barely passable a few times. It seems like we can agree that the water isn't that great. Sure we may disagree on how bad it actually is, but the point is still there. And compared to the 3DS, it definitely looks worse.

Edited by Autosaver

Auto, you're pretty much fighting two of the biggest Sony fans on the fourms. Just....let it go.

And no, I'm not saying the Vita is a bad handheld, or Sony is a bad company or either side is right or wrong. All I know is the Vita version has the Water physics but shitty Water graphics while the 3DS version has no random waves and stuff but better Water

• Thumbs Up 2

The water still looks pretty bad on those tracks. I guarantee that the 3DS version will top it too. If you want, I'll go make more comparisons to prove you wrong but there isn't any footage. Tee hee!

Well, we'll see.

But it still wasn't even close to the quality the 3DS had.

the 'carpet like water' in the Vita version.

Okay WTF. If YOU think it looks like carpet, then the 3DS screenshot looks like carpet too. O.o

The waves will be visible in motion.

The water is disappointing, and I don't get why you're defending it so much. I can agree that it looks passable in certain areas, but a huge step back from what the Vita can pull off. I have no idea why you're saying it gets more ridiculous each time it is mentioned. Oh boy, finally, a comparison!

Because I know how systems work, silly! You cried out earlier to me in this thread that the Vita isn't a PS3 Portable, and now you are excepting PS3-like water physics?

Can we please stop pretending that the Vita is a machine that can't pull off great water graphics?

It can, but it depends on what type of game it is. Have you forgotten what S0L said earlier? Can you PLEASE show me an example then, that is comparable to this game's water physics? And it has to be a 'racing' game' (If anyone knows the answer to this, please respond) No? Then I stand corrected.

Thats your responce?

I have these things called eyes. I use them to look at things. They tell me if something looks like, not nice, or ugly. The screens you used fall between nice and ugly.

The Vita version does not look as good as you want everybody to think it is. And this comes from someone who actually owns it and who has put a load of hours into the game. And no my Vita is not broken nor is my copy of the game before that hypothesis gets brought up without asking me if thats the case again.

@HogFather

I wasn't responding to you.

Auto, you're pretty much fighting two of the biggest Sony fans on the fourms. Just....let it go.

Oh how fucking charming.

I think I might have pointed out several times in this thread that the Vita version isn't that great compared to the console versions. But playing it it's not as bad as it seems. Yet thats now considered some sort of fanboy defence?

In fact why the fuck am I constantly being quoted and being brought in to support someone elses argument here. Fucking newsflash, I made that post a few days ago after a short period of time playing the game. Yet in the spam of 24 hours, thats been enough to claim I've been running around slagging it off/constantly praising it/supporting someone elses claims/doing all this/saying all that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay WTF. If YOU think it looks like carpet, then the 3DS screenshot looks like carpet too. O.o

The water in the screenshots you posted (sans Monkey Ball), looks like a solid, opaque object. Calling it carpet is obvious hyperbole, but it doesn't look good at all.

Console comparison wars, serious business.

Seriously chill the fuck out it's just a game.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't even know what are you discussing anymore. Just let it go. If you have a Vita, play the Vita version. If you have a 3DS, play the 3DS version.

Then again, people will always find something to complain about in a game.

That's the internet for you. :V

But is it me or does the 3DS water look like the ASR Wii water?

Actually, the Vita version looks like the ASR Wii water, which makes sense as both are graphical downgrades of the same game.

Every system is the same game, with their pros and cons in various areas, no one version is the elite version that is better than the other, the 3DS is looking impressive considering it's the weakest of the releases in terms of visual power and memory, Vita is hard to track decent screenshots of and always has been, even their flagship games looked fucking awful in screen shots used to advertise it, if you want to witness the best a Vita/PSP has to offer, buy the fucking console and see for yourself, 360/PS3 are dark and dreary compared to the likes of the PC, but they're solid games and better than the handhelds for obvious reasons, PC is a mixed case because to play it at it's best, you need a pretty top notch PC, otherwise I can see it being identical to the PS3/360 HD versions with better frame rate, but the PC downfall is the lack of OutRun Bay and Metal Sanic.

Honestly, it's like comparing apples and oranges, so just fucking drop it.

Console comparison wars, serious business.

You say this on a site where tearing each other to pieces over opinions on games about a speedy blue hedgehog is the norm

You say this on a site where tearing each other to pieces over opinions on games about a speedy blue hedgehog is the norm

Its called the Sonic Stadium Message Boards

not the "Console War Bitching Boards"

Discussing Sonic is one thing, comparing the same game on 2 different platforms that share very little in common is pointless, it's like comparing Wii ASRT to 360 ASRT.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have to agree with Soniko, this is getting out of hand. Who cares what the versions look like as long as they work properly?

Thats your responce

I have these things called eyes. I use them to look at things. They tell me if something looks like, not nice, or ugly. The screens you used fall between nice and ugly.

YES. That's my response. Because it seems you have forgotten too If it looks ugly, then you have high standards for a multiplatform Vita game.

The Vita version does not look as good as you want everybody to think it is.

It does, for a multiplatform handheld game. If this was a first party game, then you have a point.

And this comes from someone who actually owns it and who has put a load of hours into the game. And no my Vita is not broken nor is my copy of the game before that hypothesis gets brought up without asking me if thats the case again.

Oh don't give me that shit. =/ You don't think I own this version? (Fuck, those screens I put just "happen" to be on the internet!) You don't think I haven't put hours in to this version too? I still play it daily, even though I got the PC version!

Ming, please calm down. I don't want you and HogFather arguing. This is getting out of hand and lets just all agree to drop it.

Edit: It's my fault for even bringing up the subject too. I honestly don't want you guys to tear each other apart because of me.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dreamcast version looks better than all of the versions put together.

Argument over.

The transparency effects on the Dreamcast version are spectacular. You'd swear it wasn't even there!
  • Thumbs Up 7

The 3DS was formally announced on the Sega Blog. It's coming to Europe on the 8th and North America on the 12th.....not that there wasn't enough clues to know that already, but at least we have set dates now.