Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed -- Portable Versions (3DS,PSVITA,iOS)

Unidus

Got a weird one this morning.  I've been getting these random 'Trick failed!' and crash fade-to-splash-screen-and-resume episodes when I'm flying - not when I'm doing tricks, or anywhere near the edge of the field; one time I was about to go through a boost ring - and this morning Amy was zooming along in second on the last race of the first Grand Prix.  Got an All-Star move, and triggered it.  Speed picked up, tossed a hammer, - 'Trick failed!', zoom into distance and splash screen - resume race in reverse.  Not driving backwards towards the finish line, but actually facing front but trying to fly backwards out of the screen.  As soon as the All-Star finished, Amy resumed moving towards the finish line again, but after finishing in second, netting a 2nd in the overall Prix as well, the game froze up completely during (after?) the loading screen.  And I do mean completely - no functional buttons, including home and power.  Only after removing the game chip was I able to turn off the 3DS; I was beginning to think I'd have to remove the battery!  Fortunately, on restarting the game, I had in fact gotten the level up for Amy and the unlock for the 2nd Grand Prix, so apparently the game did finish saving before it crashed.

Got a weird one this morning.  I've been getting these random 'Trick failed!' and crash fade-to-splash-screen-and-resume episodes when I'm flying - not when I'm doing tricks, or anywhere near the edge of the field

You too? I didn't know what was going on, I thought I went too high for too long and that happens. I'm running into a lot of glitches with the 3DS version. Sometimes they actually help in my favor. I was nearing the finish line with Amy zooming in front of me and then at the very last second, she comes to an abrupt stop and I won 1st place. I hope they patch it sometime this year.

Not the greatest 3DS experience, but it's far from awful. It stands its own ground well enough as a racing title, as far as I can tell! Kinda see what you guys mean by the game growing on you!

Biggest niggles for me would be the halved music and inconsistent framerate, but it's not horrid, really - it's not bad enough to break the game, but it does break the sense of immersion in the experience every once in a while for me. The occasional glitching can get frustrating - there's the "No tricks!" glitch most of you mentioned that bothers me on occasion, as well as the haphazard coming to a dead stop for whatever reason, and I'm just begging for the vehicle to start moving before other racers catch up as a result (again, as a result of tricks or transformation tricks gone bad, if I recall correctly). Sometimes collision detection goes up the wazoo and I get tossed around randomly in the air (not from other vehicles, usually), so it takes a bit of careful playing.

Plus sides lean on being a decent portable version of the game, not to mention it being easier than its older brothers for the most part aside from the random glitching, so game completion is looking to be a bit of a breeze! I had some good fun in the couple of hours I had screwing around in it. I'd recommend it!

Gonna try some online later on - hope to see some of you guys there, if possible! biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't be surprised, what with all the cuts it has in comparison to the other versions.

Speaking of, there's now a demo for the game in the eShop for 3DS users. (In America, at least, not sure about the other regions.)

I miss the pursuit missions..(definitely NOT traffic/heart attack)

but this is pretty good it may be the only version I can attempt for all the sticker since it's impossible on the Wii U version.

I actually like how some of tracks look different since the 3DS can't support the console look..it's kinda refreshing.

I prefer how Burning Rangers track looks..it actually looks more similar to its saturn counterpart in terms of colours than the console versions..

Though now it seems that Wiseman is haedbanging randomly to sweet Nights music without his voice around anymore..strange thing..I thought the music could'nt change andit actually changed in the boat section..when it's supposed to at the 1st gate

Really pleased they kept the Burning Rangers rap somehow and they actually show you the trophy you win unlike the console version.

It seems to still exist; it's in my 3DS right now.  (I'm not sure I understand the question.)

They really do need to do something about the "trick loss after All-Star" glitch.  I lost 4 races, and therefore 2 GPs yesterday, because once I used an All-Star move, I could not trick again for the rest of the race.  (Curiously, on WT it seems to be an intermittent thing; sometimes you lose your tricking ability and sometimes not.  But in GP, you use that All-Star, you kiss your tricks goodbye.  And you can't simply outrun the AI on every track in A-class).  So when you pick up an All-Star, you have a choice of giving up your tricks, or giving up all items for the rest of the race.  On the original Samba track it's easy - there's nowhere to pull a trick.  On the Curien Mansion track, or Dream Valley?  Not a nice choice.

Should I buy this game on the 3DS or Vita? I already own the Wii U version, but I'd like to have it on a handheld.

If you have a 3DS and a Vita, and you want a portable Sonic racer get the Vita version hands down. Goes up to 30FPS (however has framedrops from time to time), has the same modes and World Tour as the PS3/360 version (including online), better graphics (except water colors in some courses), and the music isn't cut!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks. I just ordered the Vita version of ASRT, along with the Wii version of the first All-Stars Racing game. They should be here in less than a week.

Arrrgh. This demo for the 3DS is just so...terrible and granted this is by YAY FREE GAMEZ WOOOO!! standards.

The worst part aren't the glitches that make me slip through the floor and invisible walls with ease. This doesn't even include the laggy, poor framerate which causes me to nearly miss placing 1st by slipping below 30 FPS. Hell, not even the slightly unresponsive controls jerks around my ire.

No, Sumo, you insult me by forcing me to play as that damn hedgehog! Playing as Sonic is the worst insult someone like me can get!

gorilla-rage-on-computer-meme.png

But seriously devs, fix your problems. Mario Kart 7 didn't have these kinds of issues.

Edited by Scheming Minor

Yeah, after playing through the demo, I'm gonna have to agree with the Schemer. The controls were okay, but the frame rate just made everything look and feel way too slow.

B!?

B IS FOR BAD!?

No, B as in A,B,C,D,F.

No, I get it, you're being funny. I guess I was just hoping to discuss the game and not just dip into usual goofy forum business. It's cool. 

I'm curious if you've played the 3DS version? If you really think it's bad, no biggie. I've noted that some members have been enjoying it, and others have not.

Edited by Barry the Nomad

I tried the demo out. It's... okay. But easily the worst of tall of the versions out there. I might get it to burn some time on a vacation or something.

I'm curious to see how the later tracks fare, though. Namely Burning Depths, Race of Ages, and the tracks carried over from Sonic and Sega.

I tried the demo out. It's... okay. But easily the worst of tall of the versions out there. I might get it to burn some time on a vacation or something.

I'm curious to see how the later tracks fare, though. Namely Burning Depths, Race of Ages, and the tracks carried over from Sonic and Sega.

The later tracks and the tracks from the first game are pretty much the same across the board. However, oddly, the NiGHTS track had the most issues when it came to frame rate. I think the lap transformations slows it down, and the way the dream gates transport the racers. 

But like I, and Mark, and Prownage said, the game grows on you and ends up being fun. Not console quality fun, but still fun. 

I'm curious if you've played the 3DS version? If you really think it's bad, no biggie. I've noted that some members have been enjoying it, and others have not.

Nope, not played it, just goofing really, theres an old yet slightly more known episode of Power Rangers where Billy gets a B and he's amazingly devastated for the whole episode, so Bulk and Skull go upto him and say "B!? B IS FOR BAD!" And as a result Billy gets more upset, even though others in the class got C's and D's and F's =p

Just a tad suprised though that the majority grow to like this version, of all the vids I've seen on it the framerate would just put me off a tad. And the lack of all the stuff the console/vita version has would be a bit... meh.

Oh actually this reminds me, has anyone noticed that the 3DS version of this game is more expensive than the console versions were when they first came out! How does that happen!?

So I just bought the Bonus Edition of the 3DS version, and I put in the download code in the eShop and it says that "The software that corresponds to the code you entered is not currently being distributed." What's up with that?

EDIT: Nevermind, I managed to get the DLC in-game by going to Extras and inputting it from there.

Edited by Sky The Destroyer

So, I managed to complete World Tour with every star this morning. Man, the 3DS version is much more forgiving. Certainly wouldn't be able to do that on the HD version. D:

I do almost never find anyone online in the 3DS version, though.

Finally unlocked the Mii in the 3DS version. T-shirt color does not dictate car color, however the car is red, so it is very much the OutRun car. 

outrun_logo.jpeg

So...anyone who has the 3DS version has gone through streetpass? It seems that it doesn't work either :/

I so rarely get Streetpasses I wouldn't know.  I'm going to pick up Meloetta tomorrow on four Pokemon games, so maybe I'll get lucky.  But usually even hitting multiple game stores doesn't even net a single pass.

So were plans for an iOS version scrapped? I remember SUMO being interested in one and saying it would be logical to make a version after the success of the original iOS version.