Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

The stupidest thing they could do is ask the fans.

Yeah thats freaking true *looks over at the demanding side of Sonic fans * yeah stay away from that area of Mario Fans Nintendo XDXD, I think Miyamoto-San may still have tricks in his bag of ideas for Mario games hopefully another adventure in Mushroom Kingdom ? that would be ace=)

Edited by Crash

The stupidest thing they could do is ask the fans.

Yeah.

The Mario fans literally do not know what they want because Nintendo have been 1 step ahead of them the whole time.

Plus, most of the things they'd ask for would be Super Mario Bros. 4 in 16/8-bit. OR a SMG3.

They probably have nothing new to add.

The general Mario fans don't crave much at all other than less spinoffs from what I've seen, mostly cause pretty much every other 3D Mario platform is treated like the new wheel. Comparing Mario's fanbase to Sonic's is like comparing apples and molden cheese.

The Orchersted music simply did'nt fit into a cartoony game like Galaxy. (Not to say i'm a big fan of mario music out of the rpgs.)

From what iv'e heard, SMG2 soundtrack is slightly better. I love the Beat Block galaxy's music.

Actually I personally felt it worked perfectly, but it's each to their own in the end. :V

upto 102! Hitting frustration in World S so I'm working through clearing the earlier worlds XD

Edited by DarkOverord

So apparently there's another, lesser-known-about extra once you get 120 stars:

As well as the secret ending and the Green Stars, apparently you also unlock a Rosalina icon you can use for your save file!

Hell yeah I will totally be using that :P

So apparently there's another, lesser-known-about extra once you get 120 stars:

As well as the secret ending and the Green Stars, apparently you also unlock a Rosalina icon you can use for your save file!

Hell yeah I will totally be using that :P

I wasn't planning on going on SMG2 for another hour or so but as soon as I read your post I rushed to put the Wii on.

And it's true!

Awwww yeaaa. :D

Eh. I'll stick with my little Mii head blankly staring at me, pondering about where I went wrong in my life on my complete file, with Mario's head on my second playthrough.

I initially used Yoshi, because he's Yoshi, and Yoshi has been my trademark Mario character for as long as I can remember, even if I prefer Wario and Luigi in some ways now.

It was Yoshi on SMG1 aswell :D

I wish they put Wario's head in it too.

I wasn't planning on going on SMG2 for another hour or so but as soon as I read your post I rushed to put the Wii on.

And it's true!

Awwww yeaaa. :D

Yay for confirmation! :D

This has now given me an incentive to rocket through the first 120 stars. I'm on 98 so far, just 22 more to go...

Honestly I feel like we're heading for another Sunshine. Not a sequel but another title that underwhelms many a Mario fan. Though I could be completely wrong, I just don't see how they could possibly top the Galaxy games without just doing a Galaxy 3. Even if they did a Galaxy 3 I'm pretty sure people would be tired of the concept by then. :/ I think Nintendo are going to sit and think on the next 3D Mario a while anyway.

Interesting theory... I don't think 'another Sunshine' would be a bad thing really after having two absolutely epic and ground breaking games like this on the console - unless you mean on the next console. I always felt that Mario Sunshine would have been more appreciated if it was the second Mario on the gamecube, after some kind of Mario 128 or something - as it does feel like a sort of gimmicky sequel/spinoff to something which doesn't exist. Galaxy however added a whole new dimension to the genre just like Mario 64 did... Whatever they do next I'm kinda hoping they keep the Galaxy gravity system, because it actually feels like an evolution to the series and not a gimmick specific to that game (the opposite of FLUDD basically). I'm sure they'd think of something though, if it's either something making good use of what whatever comes after the Wii has to offer, or it's expanding on it even more (Super Mario Universe?)... Mario now travels in space, what about also having him travel in time? Rewinding like prince of persia? Slowing down and speeding up time? I know these are gimmicks used before but I'd bet Nintendo would think of genuinely awesome things to do with them.

Interesting theory... I don't think 'another Sunshine' would be a bad thing really after having two absolutely epic and ground breaking games like this on the console - unless you mean on the next console. I always felt that Mario Sunshine would have been more appreciated if it was the second Mario on the gamecube, after some kind of Mario 128 or something - as it does feel like a sort of gimmicky sequel/spinoff to something which doesn't exist. Galaxy however added a whole new dimension to the genre just like Mario 64 did... Whatever they do next I'm kinda hoping they keep the Galaxy gravity system, because it actually feels like an evolution to the series and not a gimmick specific to that game (the opposite of FLUDD basically). I'm sure they'd think of something though, if it's either something making good use of what whatever comes after the Wii has to offer, or it's expanding on it even more (Super Mario Universe?)... Mario now travels in space, what about also having him travel in time? Rewinding like prince of persia? Slowing down and speeding up time? I know these are gimmicks used before but I'd bet Nintendo would think of genuinely awesome things to do with them.

I agree that time travel should be the next step for Mario. He's done it in Mario's Time Machine and Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time, but never in an actual platforming game.

I imagine it'd work something like Sonic CD, with Mario travelling between past/present/future versions of each stage (which would inevitably be Galaxy-esque... or maybe have like retro-themed/normal-themed/Galaxy-themed for each respective time zone). Oh, and he'd need the Starship Mario along for the ride again, seeing as it can travel between time and space - thus proving my "Mario is a Time Lord" theory. ;)

That or release a Rosalina spin-off. Either way, I'm happy. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna keep this brief cause I can't bothered to type much. I've more or less completed the game now with over 200 stars, so I can pass a proper judgement.

- It wasn't the challenging game I had hoped for. After the cakewalk that was SMG1, I kind of expected this one to be hard. It wasn't particularly easy, just average. Chimp missions were pretty good for a challenge though. That bloody Honey Hop goomba bounce was a nightmare. (The sort of nightmare that's really fun)

- Soundtrack was again fantastic. None of that boring Space Junk or Battle Rock music being throw at you every five minutes either.

- Visuals are an oddball. The land looks very nice, but backgrounds on the other hand tend to look pretty crap (High Tail Falls for example). There's also not a lot of decor is the bachground, so you're very often just looking at a plain white cloud. Boring.

- Again on visuals, because this needs to be stessed, what is there is just so bloody fantastic. Bright, fluid, charming... Truly brilliant.

- Level design often struck me as boring. Sorry! It was probably due to just being on a path all the time.

- Boo suit was underused... AGAIN

- Pianta level had naff music [/petty]

- Throwback Galaxy was lame. It was smaller than the original, containing only the original mission and boring Silver Star one. Plus, Whomps Fortress was probably one of the worst levels to bring back because it was one of the more linear ones. Bob-bomb Battlefield would have been great. [/petty]

- Yoshi was of course very fun, especially with the Bulb Fruit.

- There were fewer underwater areas, which is good considering the controls for it are naff.

- Cosmic clones were awesome. A very good change from Cosmic Mario.

- I liked the cloud flower and it's presence in many stages.

Gonna edit in a little bit with more good points.

Edited by Blue Blood

I still don't think this is a 10/10 game... I'm a bit annoyed at the critics actually, because Galaxy 1 was heading for a 10/10 but they took marks off for a few things in particular - according to IGN marks were taken off because of the camera not always moving when you tell it to and the spring suit sucking like it does. Other sites mention some annoying quests like purple coin collecting etc. Okay, so Mario Galaxy 2 comes out, gets 10/10 reviews. I play it, after I've finally gotten into it and am enjoying it, what do I find? The spring suit. And it plays exactly the same. And the camera doesn't always do what you want it to. And while it was previously looking like every level was Crash Bandicoot style 'get to the end of this linear obstacle course' the further I get in the more purple coin missions etc. turn up. So why have points been docked from the first game for things but not from the second in which they've not been improved in any way?

I can understand why some critics think Galaxy 2 is better than 1 (though personally I find the first to be the better game) but that doesn't mean to ignore all flaws. Also, the fact that the game keeps giving you a level in which you're forced to learn a trick in order to beat it, and then 'unlocking' a character on starship Mario who will teach you the move you just did(for example, the level where you ride the big bird thing, the second star is to get there before the other birds do, in order to do which you need to be constantly flying downwards to pick up speed, then the game makes a big deal over how a bird character has appeared on the starship, and talking to him has him tell you "If you want to go faster when flying, fly downwards!", there are loads of instances of this), that seems ridiculous, does it not? Also I don't like the fact that every time you do something unusual (i.e. playing as Luigi etc.) it acts as if it was the first time, like the way Luigi has his same dialogue bit every time you play as him, even after like the 20th time... These aren't game breaking or even bad really, but these are all things which should be considered when rating a game... Twilight Princess and BioShock 2 lose points for being set in the same world and using the same play style thus not being as stunning as their predecessors - basically lose points for being sequels and not reinventing the wheel, which is fine, it should be that way, so why doesn't Mario count, when Galaxy 2, as good as it's levels may be, is just more levels for Galaxy 1?

Good game, but seriously, the way they're giving out 10/10 scores every time something is very good (GTA4, MGS4, SMG2...), there's gonna be nothing left for when something truly perfect shows up.

These aren't game breaking or even bad really, but these are all things which should be considered when rating a game... Twilight Princess and BioShock 2 lose points for being set in the same world and using the same play style thus not being as stunning as their predecessors - basically lose points for being sequels and not reinventing the wheel, which is fine, it should be that way, so why doesn't Mario count, when Galaxy 2, as good as it's levels may be, is just more levels for Galaxy 1?

It's a sequel, what do you expect? If it ain't broken dont fix it. The logic that "reinventing the wheel = 10/10" is horribly stupid.

It's just that in Galaxy 2's case, it's a sequel that is amazing and superior to the already good original (I say that from the perspective of general consensous since I thought Galaxy 1 was a bucket of farts).

Edited by Columind

My only guess is that reviewers don't even care about the few flaws because everything else, particularly the gameplay, is so superb. That's how I see it.

I don't see being "samey" as a flaw in itself, but it amplifies an already bad game. If a game is largely the same as a previous one, but still adds enough new stuff and does both the good and the old well, it's not a problem. But if a game isn't all that good in the first place...well, I'd rather have a mediocre game that tries new things than a game that seems like an older one but worse.

It's a sequel, what do you expect? If it ain't broken dont fix it. The logic that "reinventing the wheel = 10/10" is horribly stupid.

But these are things they considered to be broken in the original. In the reviews and many podcasts they stress that the spring suit and the camera were what stopped it from getting a 10, and Galaxy 2 uses the same spring suit and the same camera system.

My point is, these are things they've taken points off of OTHER games for, including Galaxy 1, and yet they didn't count here? If it has flaws, it's not perfect. Simple as that.

Guest Miles Per Hour

Deciding if I should get this or Red Dead Redemption for PS3..... help me choose xD

But these are things they considered to be broken in the original. In the reviews and many podcasts they stress that the spring suit and the camera were what stopped it from getting a 10, and Galaxy 2 uses the same spring suit and the same camera system.
Well, the spring suit was reduced to a single star (and it's not even needed for most of the level if you're good with jumping, though I wouldn't expect them to count that in the review), so while the suit itself is the same, it's less of a problem overall.

If it has flaws, it's not perfect. Simple as that.
I don't think anyone really uses 10/10 to mean perfect, tho'...

That's my point. 10/10 means perfect. They're using it to describe things which aren't perfect. What if the perfect game does come along? What are they going to give that?

Anyway, I just did Throwback galaxy. Firstly it was awesome, then it was REALLY awesome, the boss really made me laugh ("Gah!! Tired of this speech!") and the mini-Whomps were absolutely hilarious. Awesome.

I'm still not sure which SMG game I like best. Galaxy 1 still felt bigger and more epic to me, and the whole thing was just more 'wow' while this one is more of a string of good levels, none of the 'wow' factor or the emotional impact (as in the beauty of it all, nothing else emotional about it really, haha).

That's my point. 10/10 means perfect. They're using it to describe things which aren't perfect. What if the perfect game does come along? What are they going to give that?

I honestly don't expect the perfect game to come along any time soon anyway, so I don't have a problem with anyone for cheapening the value of a perfect score. Numerical scores have always been a little ridiculous anyway, so I've learned to mostly gloss them over, paying more attention to the content of the review than the number at the end. I won't pretend that I totally ignore scores, but when it comes to the difference between an 8.5 and a 10 I really don't care.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bump a topic so long-dead, however I found a small thing today regarding this very game. Anyone notice this?

2dl96y9.jpg

Video of the phenomena at 3:31 in the above video.