Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

I think someone already posted this way back in this topic, or I mix it up with another forum cause it's terribly old. People who dug in the sourcefiles found out that they were tagged as some sort of trees.

Interesting theory... I don't think 'another Sunshine' would be a bad thing really after having two absolutely epic and ground breaking games like this on the console - unless you mean on the next console. I always felt that Mario Sunshine would have been more appreciated if it was the second Mario on the gamecube, after some kind of Mario 128 or something - as it does feel like a sort of gimmicky sequel/spinoff to something which doesn't exist. Galaxy however added a whole new dimension to the genre just like Mario 64 did... Whatever they do next I'm kinda hoping they keep the Galaxy gravity system, because it actually feels like an evolution to the series and not a gimmick specific to that game (the opposite of FLUDD basically). I'm sure they'd think of something though, if it's either something making good use of what whatever comes after the Wii has to offer, or it's expanding on it even more (Super Mario Universe?)... Mario now travels in space, what about also having him travel in time? Rewinding like prince of persia? Slowing down and speeding up time? I know these are gimmicks used before but I'd bet Nintendo would think of genuinely awesome things to do with them.

Well since the topic got bumped might as well take the opportunity to chat about this.

I think my ideal next step for Mario would be to flesh out the Mushroom Kingdom. I wouldn't want a Banjo-Tooie style stupid-huge confusing interconnecting overworld, but I would like to see the sense of location Isle Delfino had in Sunshine on a larger and more homely scale.

In my head I translate this into what is basically the overworld of Paper Mario, but with rich, detailed Galaxy style art direction and envioronments. Mario 64 was set in imaginary worlds, Mario Sunshine was set on a holiday resort and Galaxy in space... and while they all feel like part of Mario's world I'd like to see the next 3D game give us the kind of insight into the Mushroom Kingdom itself that the RPG games do.

Granted yes, every envioronment will be new and subsequently forgotten come the next game set in the Mushroom Kingdom - as usual - but doesn't bother me really. I just want to see a Mushroom Kingdom I can properly explore.

^Meh, I'd rather not. Mario just works better in dense, surreal environments rather than simple standard Mushroom Kingdom environments like you'd see in the RPGs. Much as I love Sunshine, the environments generally feel too down-to-Earth to get across Mario's full platforming potential. The girders in Ricco Harbor and Sirena Hotel were good areas, but the rest were just really... flat. Nothing was a clear "vertical" level or "water" level or "open" level, they were just levels with slightly differing elements disguised to look different by having different superficial settings. The Galaxy games were fun because they were the exact opposite of that- simple ideas and gameplay concepts whose formulas were not diluted by context because they were built quite literally in a vacuum. 64 had this a step further because there was even less reason to care about context. Each level felt completely unique no matter how similar its shape or motif was because each course was structured based on how your actions are emphasized. Even Jolly Roger Bay and Dire Dire Docks, two very superficially similar water levels, managed to feel different simply based on their emphasis on being in or out of the water. I just think a bigger sense of connectivity would detriment that kind of level dynamic in a Mario game.

Edited by SuperStingray

I'd like to have a massive Mushroom Kingdom Hub world, with the smaller Mario Galaxy style levels accessed through wormholes or whatever that are destroying the Mushroom Kingdom. Every time you finish a cluster of levels in a wormhole it no longer becomes a threat to the Kingdom and you move on to the next one in town.

I would like to see another more open Mario game like 64 again, but to be honest, I would REALLY like to see another hub-system like SMW used again. I haven't played it in a while but I watched a video of people playing it co-op and I never realised how different a path you could go down by beating levels in different ways. I'd like to see another Mario game like that.

I want another Mario game in Mario's world.

No seriously. When's the last time we've ever had that in a 3D game? That's right, never; besides walking around the outside and inside of Toadstool Castle. Every game has either been in painting-worlds, a faraway tropical vacation residence, or the depths of outer space. Why can't Mario just have a journey through his ordinary world anymore? It seems that he can do all of that in the 2D games but never the 3D ones. I wanna see them expand on say, the Mushroom Kingdom or Yoshi's Island a little more (that is without Baby Mario of course).

Also bring back the Super Mushroom please. Heck, even if it means making it a timed SUPERHUGE powerup like the Mega Mario from NSMB, I'd love to use mushrooms to grow again. Even though I love all the 3D Marios, that's the one thing that makes them all feel somewhat off compared to the rest of the series. Them games need some growth mushrooms, man.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also bring back the Super Mushroom please. Heck, even if it means making it a timed SUPERHUGE powerup like the Mega Mario from NSMB, I'd love to use mushrooms to grow again. Even though I love all the 3D Marios, that's the one thing that makes them all feel somewhat off compared to the rest of the series. Them games need some growth mushrooms, man.

And that's exactly what they did in SM64DS.

It wasn't that useless. You could use it to stockpile 1ups at least (1ups which would be lost once you turned off the game...)

Nah, it would be cool to see the shrinking-growing mechanic properly used in 3D Mario. And yeah, while they're at it they could make the Fire Flower halfway decent too.

It was a pretty close race this year between three of our final nominees, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 swooped in with a clear, much-deserved win. The game is universally adored here at Destructoid.

You can read our perfect 10 out of 10 review to get a good idea of exactly why we love it, but it doesn’t hurt to repeat some of the things that make this sequel to the already extraordinary Super Mario Galaxy so great.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the perfect videogame. For us, it is the prime example of why videogames are (and always will be!) so much fun.

Every colorful, beautifully designed level in Super Mario Galaxy 2 is bursting with more creativity and exhilarating moments than any other game we have played all year. It is almost impossible not to smile with complete joy while playing through some of the absolutely magnificent sequences in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Remember the first time you burrowed through the ground with the giant drill? Or soared around a planet on the back of Yoshi? These kind of wondrous, jaw-dropping moments populate Super Mario Galaxy 2 from start to finish.

The original Galaxy -- a nominee itself for Destructoid Game of the Year 2007 -- was one of the greatest 3D platformers ever made. Even the biggest fans of the game could not wrap their minds around how the game could ever be topped ... but somehow Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamoto (along with the best game designers in the business) managed to make Super Mario Galaxy 2 a more creative, more challenging, even more beautiful game than the original. A stunning accomplishment.

No other game this year had better level design. No other game had a more magical score. No other game felt more like an instant classic. No other game just flat-out entertained us more than Super Mario Galaxy 2. On every level it is the perfect videogame experience.

For years to come, gamers everywhere (and their children!) will be replaying Super Mario Galaxy 2 and having just as much fun as the first time they played it.

The game is timeless -- a classic in every way.

• 2 years later...

But Mario 3D World takes place in the Sprixie Kingdom :VVVV

Ok fine super mario 3D land

New Super Mario U is on Mushroom Kingdom, the final castle is even Peach's Castle instead of Bowser's

Ok fine super mario 3D land

To be honest other than World 1-1 where Peach's castle is seen all other levels look like a free for all when it comes to its placement in the "Mushroom Kingdom".

We would much rather people discuss the subject at hand than go on about why a thread was revived.

• Thumbs Up 1

Super mario galaxy 2 was a great game, but I think I enjoyed the first one more due to it being completely new at the time, and Galaxy 2 was just new levels, Yoshi, new powers, nothing really Game changing just more Galaxy fun!

Super mario galaxy 2 was a great game, but I think I enjoyed the first one more due to it being completely new at the time, and Galaxy 2 was just new levels, Yoshi, new powers, nothing really Game changing just more Galaxy fun!

That was the point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Galaxy 2 is probably the most perfect game I've ever played. No bs, perfect flow, perfect gameplay, perfect design. I remember reading the Iwata Asks segment and it provided insight on why the game is so good. Every member of the team was able to create their own levels if I recall, even programmers. And of course Miyamoto offered great advice as a whole. I played it before the first Galaxy, so it was that much more impressive.