Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

Am I the only one not enjoying this game? I loved the first but I'm only about 8 levels into this one and I'm already frustrated... I'm finding it annoying, repetitive, and generally just not very fun. Sure, it's packed with great ideas and layouts and all but does that translate to fun?

Generally, yes.

The reviews also kept saying how there was no hub world, just a map, which sounded great to me

No they didn't. Either way the hub starts you right next to the button that takes you to the map.

but there IS a hub world, which you have to faff around on AND go to the map...

... Byyyy... running forward...? Or I guess if you're impatient, doing a long jump?

And why does the game keep teaching me what I just learned? For example I'll do a level which absolutely requires me to do a LOT of jump-spins to make it across, by the end of the level, anybody would have become an expert at jump spins, and beating the level unlocks a character on the hub world who teaches you how to jump spin! What's the point?!

Because not everybody will grasp the concept so easily? My mom is playing this with me, she's stuck on Flip-Spin Galaxy because she tries to spin on the ground to flip the panels. She's constantly forgetting she can spin in the air.

You beat a level, then you have to talk to that purple guy, faff around in the Mario ship thing, stand on the button, THEN go to the map... Why not just have one or the other? Reminds me of Sonic Unleashed having both the town and stage entrance hub worlds.

No you don't. You fucking move forward a tiny bit. The end. No more hub hello map.

Also you stand on the button for literally a second. You really want to complain about the time it takes to stand on it?

Also no. Sonic Unleashed required running through a hub every time, usually a long one, which involves at the least, some turning. In Galaxy 2, you fucking move forward.

So far level layouts have been inspired, of course, but the last, say, 5 levels I've done have all been pretty much glorified versions of the 'secret' stages in Mario Sunshine - a whole bunch of wood and blocks suspended in the air.

This... is... bad? I mean, if the stage is fun then what's the problem.

Either way, hardly any stage is like that other than Hightail Falls, which is has the same feel to it as everything. They could have replaced Yoshi with Fludd and it would have gone unnoticed.

The strangest part for me is the fact that while the game appears to really cater to newcomers - it starts in 2D and gradually becomes 3D, it has TV screen things which spoil all the tricks, and it comes with an incredibly patronising DVD explaining how to play a video game, and yet within about 3 stars of the beginning, the game becomes really tough and frustrating...

Because it's a hard game? It caters to newcomers BECAUSE it's super hard. Especially compared to Galaxy 1.

Want some proof?

I can beat the firey Dino Piranha in 15 seconds.

It takes at least a minute to beat the first boss of Galaxy 2.

No shit it's hard. That's why everything is taught to you. In case you have no idea about video games.

Also, oh yes, the TVs spoil "tricks." What can we do, now that a few old people know how to do a backflip! All of our precious seekrets are being looooosst`

Who the heck was the target audience?

Literally everyone who owns a Wii.

I'm a seasoned gamer, and I'm pretty good at most action games, particularly platform games,

I am a Mario god.

but I got game over just now on the second world, in this annoying level where you repeatedly have to make Yoshi eat a chilli and run up a bunch of walls... Over and over and over again. When I'm not finding it frustrating, I'm finding it annoying...

Because you suck at it. It's general knowledge that losing at video games is annoying.

also ahahahaha you died in hightail falls. anything you ever say about being good at video games is now negated.

Also I really can't see how this is 10/10 material... All the reviews keep saying "It's not just more Mario Galaxy levels, it's so much more than that"... Where?

New gimmicks, story, hub, characters, different level system, different system to getting stars...

Oh hey, the only thing it shares is the fact that a few planets you can literally run around.

This just appears to be more Mario Galaxy levels to me...

Usually this is how sequels to platformers go.

Internet critics seem to get so interested in a game scoring originality points that the question "is it fun" doesn't even seem to come up anymore...

It got good scores for originality?

Not the gameplay all the critics praised.

Or the fact that they said it was fun. Constantly.

oh hey look they did answer "is it fun" then. oh yeah they did it a lot.

TL;DR you have no good complaints and they all stem from you misreading reviews, being bad at levels, and not knowing what the hell to do on the hub despite it using simple common sense and basic logic.

Edited by Nathan
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm not going to respond to Nathan because that kind of "YOUR OPINION IS WRONG YOU ARE BAD AT IT AND YOU HAD A GOOD TIME YOU'RE JUST TOO DUMB TO REALISE IT" attitude, and all that swearing, is the kind of thing which starts flame wars and gets topics locked. You can't get like that just because somebody doesn't enjoy something which you like.

However I did appreciate Columind's reply so I will respond.

Funny you should say, I'm the complete opposite. I thought the original Galaxy had a horrible replay value and I find it ultimately boring, but Galaxy 2 is the straight opposite to me.

I kinda agree on the replay value. I never even got the full 120 stars in it, and due to the hub world I never went back to re-play levels because I couldn't even remember where you had to go for each one! But I had a great time first time I played it.

How does great layouts not translate to fun anyway? Good level layouts is the cornerstone of any Mario game and what makes them so good.

Not for me... You could have an amazing layout but it'd suck if it was all just one texture or whatever, if that makes sense... So far all the levels I've played have either looked like stuff I've already seen in SMG1 or was all just wooden blocks and surfaces, like expansion pack challenge levels. That's fine but not 10/10 fine... And no, challenging and fun don't equal the same thing, at least not for me. This game has done nothing but frustrate me so far.

... No you don't? The Hub world is a completely optional romp which you don't need to do anything at to progress the game. It's just a miniature playground unlike Super Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1. If you want to get right into the action just go forward the minute you get back into the hub.

And miss all of the 1ups which I needed badly... Even with it that way you gotta talk to the purple guy and all that, even if you do just walk forward it still seems utterly pointless. Sometimes the game puts you in the engine room too so you have to walk out of it and then find the button and all that, it just seems a little bit of a waste of time. Not game-breaking or anything but an annoyance nonetheless... Normally this wouldn't overly bother me but reviews are giving this thing, which is a sequel consisting of just new levels and powerups for the previous game, 10/10, and yet taking points off of games like Zelda for not reinventing the wheel/being similar to the games they are sequels to. Does Mario not count or something?

The amazing and ridiculous irony here is that everything you've said here also applied to Galaxy 1 even more than it does in Galaxy 2.

Don't say ridiculous, I'm just putting my experience so far across, and that's not irony... Firstly critics made a big thing about there being no hub world, which was bull, and I never said that wasn't the case in Galaxy 1. Secondly, I thought Galaxy 1's levels were fun, entertaining, surprising and good to look at, I've not had that from Galaxy 2 yet at all, just a whole bunch of wooden blocks and surfaces laid out in a challenging way and not much else. Seems to be about challenge and not experience. Layout over atmosphere.

I still can't work out for the life of me who their target audience was... The difficulty is pretty hardcore but it's crammed with patronising 'how to play' tutorials, about 3 booklets and a whole freaking DVD teaching a person who never saw a video game before in their life how to play.

Edited by DistantJ

Not for me... You could have an amazing layout but it'd suck if it was all just one texture or whatever, if that makes sense... So far all the levels I've played have either looked like stuff I've already seen in SMG1 or was all just wooden blocks and surfaces, like expansion pack challenge levels. That's fine but not 10/10 fine... And no, challenging and fun don't equal the same thing, at least not for me. This game has done nothing but frustrate me so far.

Galaxy, nor any other Mario game relies on just one texture though, and even if it would it would probably still be fun to platform through. I never said it was 10/10 material but barely any game for me is and I find the Galaxy 2 level design a lot improved when compared to the original, which atleast gives me alot more enjoyment out of it. Personally I haven't come across a big vast area of frustratingly challenging areas (yet), and if you claim you only got 7 or so levels in until it started kicking in well, I'm sorry to say this but I guess you're just not good enough. I've gone through most levels and enjoyed myself at all times, and even the challenging parts have been fun.

And miss all of the 1ups which I needed badly... Even with it that way you gotta talk to the purple guy and all that, even if you do just walk forward it still seems utterly pointless. Sometimes the game puts you in the engine room too so you have to walk out of it and then find the button and all that, it just seems a little bit of a waste of time. Not game-breaking or anything but an annoyance nonetheless... Normally this wouldn't overly bother me but reviews are giving this thing, which is a sequel consisting of just new levels and powerups for the previous game, 10/10, and yet taking points off of games like Zelda for not reinventing the wheel/being similar to the games they are sequels to. Does Mario not count or something?

But 1ups are optional. I don't see how going around and picking up some for the next level takes down the quality of the game other than being time consuming, and I dont see how that exactly is enough to get you worked up when you don't need it. If anything thank fuck that it's not like the Galaxy 1 Observatory requiring to run around the entire hub.

The reason Galaxy 2 gets perfect grades is because its practically building upon what everyone considered a near perfect game and takes away all the flaws that were present. A minor flaw that is less a flaw and more of a time consumer like "running halfway around a miniature planet for 10 seconds to get extra lives" is hardly something I can see that justifies chipping off the score.

Don't say ridiculous, I'm just putting my experience so far across, and that's not irony... Firstly critics made a big thing about there being no hub world, which was bull, and I never said that wasn't the case in Galaxy 1. Secondly, I thought Galaxy 1's levels were fun, entertaining, surprising and good to look at, I've not had that from Galaxy 2 yet at all, just a whole bunch of wooden blocks and surfaces laid out in a challenging way and not much else. Seems to be about challenge and not experience. Layout over atmosphere.

The irony was that you enjoyed Galaxy 1 alot, yet the flaws you point out in Galaxy 2 are even more obvious in the original one.

I for one enjoy the fact that they actually care about the level design this time around instead of creating something charming or whatever because that's what killed the original for me. You can build a level out of grids and wireframes but as long as it actually plays good with a good design I will still love it. In my opinion, atmosphere should come second because ultimately I play a game to be entertained with gameplay. Atmosphere is just a bonus to me, a massively neat bonus that immensifies gameplay but it's not what in my opinion makes it stand out.

As for the whole DVD thing, does it really matter? It's supposed to be a friendly help guide for new people who haven't played much and want to get into it. I don't see that as patronising, I just see that as consumer-friendly. Hell, BlazBlue's limited edition package has one as well which also gives a good deal of tips. Just cause a game might be difficult at times doesn't mean that they have to alienate the fanbase, which they don't end up doing. I saw around about 20 kids when I picked up the game who were walking from the store with Galaxy 2, odds are they've all been playing the original as well which while not as hard, was relatively hard either ways. Then there's the quick guide, the perfect thing for us who just wants to get into the action. I'm all for it. I haven't even read the main manual.

And again, that isn't even a hub world. You don't find levels or plot advancement areas in there. It's just a miniature playground that has no effect or relevance what-so-ever on the main quest.

Edited by Columind

I'm not gonna get into a huge debate here, but the stages are so filled to the brim with 1Ups, they're never hard to get tons of, I've never had to get the 1Ups available on Starship Mario, and I've only ever once got a Game Over (on purpose to see what would happen really)

Despite how bloody hard SMG2 is, it's also genuinely hard to get a Game Over. There are literally dozens of 1Ups in every stage, and they're not hard to find at all.

Plus if you're dying and getting annoyed at SMG2, it's because unlike all the other cakewalk platformers they've been releasing for the past ten years, SMG2 is actually hard.

I know, a modern platforming game that's hard. Wtf.

I've noticed that most people don't start really enjoying SMG2 until about a world or so in, the first few stages people think "well this seems ok but I wonder what all the fuss is abou-" and then a little later you're like "HOLY SHIT THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME" and then you're like "OH MY GOD I'M THE MOTHERFUCKING FIST OF THE NORTH STAR JESUS CHRIST". Fuck yes you are the best Mario game ever!

^True story^

So I'm getting Green Stars atm, and they're surprisingly fun to find! Reminds me of Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine for some reason, with the slightly bigger focus on explorin' rather than platformin'. 126 Stars so far.

I've noticed that most people don't start really enjoying SMG2 until about a world or so in, the first few stages people think "well this seems ok but I wonder what all the fuss is abou-" and then a little later you're like "HOLY SHIT THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME" and then you're like "OH MY GOD I'M THE MOTHERFUCKING FIST OF THE NORTH STAR JESUS CHRIST". Fuck yes you are the best Mario game ever!

Interesting, I've seen this in a lot of places as well, and actually I may end up joining them, because I've done a whole bunch more stars and the game is really picking up for me already. The challenges are becoming rewarding and actually challenging instead of frustrating, the levels are becoming good to look at and fun to be in, and the amount of time you have to spend on the starship is getting shorter. Bowser was fantastic too... So maybe I'm in with these people? Perhaps I'll start having a real good time with it soon. But seriously I found the earlier levels to be... I dunno if frustrating is the word, more annoying, like I'd see a set of platforms or enemies and just go "oh fuck off" and not want to do it, looked like a chore. But yeah it does appear to be picking up a lot now, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

P.S. FOTNS reference = Win

Edited by DistantJ

UPDATE on those mysterious figures -

UPDATE - Now things get even weirder! This new image comes from reader Girrrtacos, who did some mighty-fine detective work to take us one step further. I'll let him explain the situation in his own works.

This is what I've found by hacking. It is in the sky model, and it's called "BeyondHellValleySky". The texture for those creepy things (seen in the bottom left) is called "HellValleySkyTree". Maybe they're weird lookin' trees?

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=126769

Pic with textures -

ojDD6.png

I Reallly love this game everything just screams AWESOMENESS, the world map oh gawd where were you in SMG1 this world map is so freaking better than what they had last time much easier to find levels than before, I like the mini hub world better than that over sized thing what Rosalina has and Starship Mario is cute so what's not to like about it small, easy to get around, and super cute =).

Yoshi is just awesome, first time playing with Yoshi I was crapping and thought he was going to die if I went into the water (see Super Mario Sunshine when playing with Yoshi then you see what I mean) His dog paddle is SUPER KAWAII I fell in love with that the minute I saw him swim <3, I'm 42 stars into the game on World 4 and up to this point i've loved every level i've played in so awesome I liked the Tree Trunk Slide level thats my fav out them all :).

I watched that DVD what you got with it too after playing the game x amount of hours of SMG2 and played the DVD on my Xbox and see what it was about and it really was pointless the women made me laugh though but found it pointless though. I find the bosses way to easy to be honest fun but to easy for me :P

Edited by Crash

The one thing that strikes me as odd about DistantJ's complaints is saying that the game is frustrating. One of the greatest things about it to me, was that no matter how challenging it got, it was never felt frustrating. I didn't have a reason to feel that way because if I died often it wasn't a result of poor level design, but because of great level design.

Maybe you start feeling frustrated for different reasons, but I just do if it's the game's fault, and not mine.

Ah, ok then. I skimmed through the topic so I didn't catch that bit.

I don't really remember if I thought that at the beginning myself but I can see where you're coming from.

Reporting back after having got to world 4... For me this game begins like "Bah, how is this lame Galaxy 1 expansion a 10?!", then by the end of world 3 it's like "Ohhh THAT'S how!"... Still, a slow beginning is still a flaw in my book, so maybe a 9.8... :P But it has become a really really damn good game since.

I also must say I exaggerated my frustrations a little, because I was so mad at that falls level (which I got in the end), the hard levels later on are more challenge and less chore. I didn't really like that falls one at all, or a bunch of the ones leading up to it (I found the drilling level kinda annoying, much better drilling levels later on, stuff like that), and also the atmosphere and design of the levels seems to get better as it goes on as well, the first few seemed kinda dull to me.

Well besides the fact I'm busy in Manchester instead home, I'd got to 86 stars in world 6, haven't done the last stage (in the story) yet though :V

Edited by DarkOverord

So I just laid some grade A smackdown on Bowser, pimp style, and finished the main quest. I have to say, even though there was little to no depth in the entire progression, that was a pretty easy and simple way to handle it. This is probably the only game in the Mario series that plays as if it was a straight 2D game made in 3D, and I really enjoyed it a lot. I haven't gotten into the special world yet, too late as of now and I need some sleep. That and the Wii has been running for around about 10 hours. But I'm looking forward to it, along with collecting the rest of all the stars, and then maybe I might just run through the game another time. It certainly feels shorter than most 3D Mario games but it most definitely makes up for it.

I'm really pleased with this game all around. Also I squeed when they re-used the Buoy Base Galaxy theme.

Slimy Spring Galaxy is one of the best underwater levels in any Mario game.

HAHA ROSALINA I CALLED IT

Edited by Columind

Also I squeed when they re-used the Buoy Base Galaxy theme.

I'm glad I'm not the only one <3

I'm glad I'm not the only one <3

One of the few tracks i actually enjoyed from the origonal. :P

Super Mario Galaxy's sountrack is kinda weak.

This is probably the only game in the Mario series that plays as if it was a straight 2D game made in 3D

That's been my favourite feature so far, the way the levels are linear and pretty much all of the normal (non-comet) stars are either 'get to the end' or 'get to the end and beat the boss you find there'. It makes the game feel fuller, more about levels and less about 'missions'... Yeah, really enjoying it now, but I still don't enjoy the first world so much even when I go back to it.

Hohohohohoho, good one.

I loved Buoy Base too, it was a severely underused track in the original, so I was ecstatic to hear it again. Now the second Sky Station Galaxy music is underused too....

By the way, I'm currently on about 145 Stars or something.

Also, even though the linearity is nice, I really hope with every inch of my being that this isn't the end of explorable playground 3D Mario.

Edited by SuperLink

Weird isn't it, that theme was amazing but it only featured in two missions, and one of them was secret.

Galaxy 2 is, atleast compared to the original, a bit worse in regards to the epic music. But to say that the original had a weak soundtrack is almost downright wrong.

Edited by Columind
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, even though the linearity is nice, I really hope with every inch of my being that this isn't the end of explorable playground 3D Mario.

I'm sure that the next big Mario game is going to be something different, maybe not an expansion of what Super Mario 64 and Sunshine were, but I'm sure it'll be different from Galaxy in some way, which excites me.

Honestly I feel like we're heading for another Sunshine. Not a sequel but another title that underwhelms many a Mario fan. Though I could be completely wrong, I just don't see how they could possibly top the Galaxy games without just doing a Galaxy 3. Even if they did a Galaxy 3 I'm pretty sure people would be tired of the concept by then. :/ I think Nintendo are going to sit and think on the next 3D Mario a while anyway.

Edited by speedfreak

whatthefuckamireading.jpg

Galaxy's soundtrack was brilliant, I honestly can't wrap my head around the fact that anyone could say it was bad O.o

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

whatthefuckamireading.jpg

Galaxy's soundtrack was brilliant, I honestly can't wrap my head around the fact that anyone could say it was bad O.o

The Orchersted music simply did'nt fit into a cartoony game like Galaxy. (Not to say i'm a big fan of mario music out of the rpgs.)

From what iv'e heard, SMG2 soundtrack is slightly better. I love the Beat Block galaxy's music.

I can't see where this Mario can go now.

Miyamoto has literally pushed the limits of his own creativity.

NOTHING they do now will ever top SMG2.

Unless.......they do a Mario/Zelda crossover....