Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

I haven't gotten all the stars yet, but I have beaten the main story. All I can say is that it poses the difficulty that Galaxy 1 lacked, the new gimmicks are very fun, but it feels oversaturated. The game offers a lot yet it's spread so thin between levels. Mario 64 and Sunshine only offered a few power ups yet they were all used to their full potentials. Here, it seems that each item gets one "focus" level and then only seems to appear in 2 or 3 other levels as a secondary mechanic. Frankly, I have to say I'm disappointed. It's not a bad game by any means, and it certainly delivers a lot that the first did not and could not. But compared to its predecessors, it just feels... relatively soulless the way it ties levels to their missions rather than their structure.

From what i've seen, i'm getting it soon. I'll probobly have 0 stars when the world ends though in it, as i sucked so bad at the first one. I'm still not convined about the controls as they have too much waggling in them. (Gestures rule. Waggling drools.) My arm usaill aches after playing it for 2 hours. It's mental!

Back to galaxy 2, I think i will not like it as much because of it's difficulty. I'm surprised that i haven't passed on this one. Really, I still like the blue blur more than the intalian plumer here, so there's more of a chance i'll get sonic 4 than this from my hard earned cash.

From what i've seen, i'm getting it soon. I'll probobly have 0 stars when the world ends though in it, as i sucked so bad at the first one. I'm still not convined about the controls as they have too much waggling in them. (Gestures rule. Waggling drools.) My arm usaill aches after playing it for 2 hours. It's mental!

I only managed to get around 50 stars in the first game because it felt too much like Mario 64 to me (which I'd played to death in my childhood so the whole genre got a bit stale). While I'm playing through Galaxy 2 though, I forget entirely about it and notice the many improvements they've made and just how fun the game is.

I've only just completed Bowser's Lava Lair with 17 stars.. but man, this game was worth every penny. It's made me dust off my Wii after a year and a half or longer, so obviously it's something special. =P

I've only just completed Bowser's Lava Lair with 17 stars.. but man, this game was worth every penny. It's made me dust off my Wii after a year and a half or longer, so obviously it's something special. =P

One question, what are the Bowser bosses like?

So I finished the game with all 120 stars.

The ending was nice. I was glad to see Nintendo didn't pretend Rosalina never existed. It's nice to see that the story to the first Mario Galaxy was continued instead of tossed aside. I'm assuming the story is that at the end of the first Galaxy Rosalina reset time (reminds me of Sonic 06) and only she remembers the events of the first game. Speaking of story there really wasn't much less here then in the first Galaxy. The only thing missing was a storybook type thing but other then that I think there was much more forced text in this game then in the first Galaxy. Lubba almost always has something to say to you unlike Rosalina. It's seems to me the only thing Miyamoto got rid of were the interesting cut scenes. Not that I care that much, but they were nice.

Omg, reading all these comments makes me want to play the game SOOOO badly!! I must get a new game for my dusty ol' Wii console~! ToT

I feel really bad now for looking at some of the spoilers here, but what else can I do when the game hasn't been released here yet!? >__> First Toy Story 3, now this!

Edited by Holland

I just got lucky and when repairing my laptop got this game for a steal, $35 new at Fry's. If you got a Fry's nearby, the deal ends tonight, so go get it there. Though looking the store's site says it $39.99 but for some reason my Fry's was selling it for $35 exactly.

About to play this baby. I enjoyed the first Galaxy so likely going to enjoy this.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

Just... two weeks... to go...

*tries not to explode with jealousy*

:P

Oh and btw, apparently this game has overtaken Ocarina of Time as the highest rated game ever. So you're all tecnically playing the best game ever made.

So I just found out that Rosalina appears on starship Mario once you collect every single star. That's kinda neat if true.

So I just found out that Rosalina appears on starship Mario once you collect every single star. That's kinda neat if true.

It's true

:D:D:D:D

Only 15 Days left for us Eurofags T_T

Oh and btw, apparently this game has overtaken Ocarina of Time as the highest rated game ever. So you're all tecnically playing the best game ever made.

This game is outstanding, in it's own way, but I don't believe that it deserves the 'best game ever' title. I didn't even think Ocarnia of Time deserved the title. I love how this fix some things in this game, and added alot of detail to the stages, but nothing worthy of being the best game.

Someone in the topic posted (on this page or another) that SMG 1 was like SM64, but when look at both of the games and compare them with SM64 the second Mario Galaxy has more similarities. I'm not saying this just because of the songs, but how they design some of the stages.

I thought that was GTA IV, or are you talking about GameRankings?

Apparently it's the highest ranking game on both MetaCritic AND GameRankings from what I've heard.

I WANT THIS GAME THE WAIT IS KILLLING ME

*crys in the under the computer desk holding his copy of SMG1*

Seriously the sheves at game stores(and in my bedroom) in europe needs this game now WHY OH WHY NINTENDO DID YOU MAKE THE EUROPE DATE SO CRAP

Sad Crash is sad :(

If you're talking about Metacritic, Ocarina is still at 99 with Galaxy 2 at 98.

One question, what are the Bowser bosses like?

Funner than shit.

Well, I can't speak for all of them (haven't played much, still on world 3) but the Lava Lair fight is kinda neat. Bowser orbits around the planetoid you're on, attacks with meteorites, then punches at you. His arm gets stuck, and the meteors that stuck in the ground after coming at you rise up, you stand on one, ground pound it and sent it hurling at Bowser. Do this... five times I think? After that he loses one of his Grand Stars and becomes normal sized.

Also Lava Lair is super epic. Fiery Flotilla... not so much. The music man, just too happy for a boss stage.

I really wasn't paying attention to SMG2 at all since it was announced a long time ago. One day a Luxembourg friend downloaded the NTSC ISO (and still planning to buy the thing in June) and didn't stop telling me how awesome it is. Then my interest went from a 0% to something so high I'm even trying to sell old games in an attempt to gather more money for it (I have a 60€ monthly allowance, which is enough, but I'm trying to stock some money instead of burning it these days). :P He says it's a must have.

Other than 2 videos (a Yoshi glitch + a Galaxy), a Bowser tune and some ending info I haven't watched anything at all. Story bits and Easter Eggs frankly I don't care about much, it's the levels and the given gameplay that I'm so eager about! I really hope it gives that challenging vibe from the retro gaming days somehow.

So I hit World 4. Supermassive Galaxy is like, awesome. It's super great. Not to mention the lovely infi-1up glitch there.

And oh hey, first time entering the galaxy, OFUCK LUIGI WHO ALWAYS APPEARS FOR THE BEST STAGES/PRANKSTER COMETS.

Seriously, awesome stage with Luigi the first time through made me happy. Also made me glad when I figured out that my route through the level was faster than that of the ghost when I looked for seekret star.

Also fuck yes I have seen no Cosmic Mario races yet. This game could not get any better at all.

The galaxies only have like 2-3 stars too! YOU DON'T GET BORED WITH THEM SO GREAT.

Yeah, there's no cosmic Mario as far as I can tell. There are Cosmic Prankster Comets, though. Which basically make you complete a challenge while being chased by the Shadow Mario clones.

Yeah, there's no cosmic Mario as far as I can tell. There are Cosmic Prankster Comets, though. Which basically make you complete a challenge while being chased by the Shadow Mario clones.

Well yeah, but damn, they don't get much easier. Shadow Mario are delightfully easy to get by if you take away a need for backtracking and move quickly.

though Puzzle Plank had that purple coin/shadow mario thing and that was just a dick move. Fun, but a seriously dick move.

If you're talking about Metacritic, Ocarina is still at 99 with Galaxy 2 at 98.

I was actually talking about Gamerankings, but even so Galaxy 2 is mighty close to reaching the same score as Ocarina on Metacritic. I don't think it will ever overtake it though, I mean, the only way to beat a 99 score is to get a perfect 100.

Anyway, two of my friends (who are Xbox and PlayStation fanboys respectively) fail to believe me when I say Galaxy 2 is one of the (if not the) highest rated game of all time. One of their main reasons for that was it being a 3+ rated game, how dare an 18 rated game not be number one. :P

In more on-topic news, I went into GAME and re-preordered the game last night so I now have a shiny new preorder slip. Roll on 11th June, I say! :D

Thing is, MetaCritic is basing that score for OoT out of 22 reviews. Super Mario Galaxy 2 has 38 reviews and majority of those are on 100 scores, in fact 23 reviews of them are.

Games that top Ocarina of Time are usually only up there for a short while. The first Galaxy and Twilight Princess both did, but fell eventually.

Anyway, I've gotten 120 Stars and I thought the game was great. I was a tad disappointed on the bonus at the end, but I still like the game more than Galaxy 1.

There were some little things I didn't like with SMG2.

I was disappointed in the Bowser fights.

I mean the first time it was cool, but just like in the first Galaxy they made you fight the same boss with slight tweaks three times. The final boss should be surprising and should at least try to top all other boss battles IMO. Sure there was a tiny extra part but it was short, easy, and had the same basic idea as the first part of the fight. With so many great ideas for boss fights in the game you figure they could have come up with at least one extra for the final Bowser battle.

I also hate how cheap the scenes are. If they are going to have scenes they might as well be well done, like in the opening/ending of the first game. The scenes in 2 are just cheaply done. I really missed the cinematic style from the first game while watching the mostly boring scenes in 2.

Two minor personal gripes with an otherwise excellent game isn't bad though.

I think Nintendo should have thought twice before they had a character in a kid's game eating a bunch of coins.

Puzzle Plank Galaxy is the best song in any video game ever, I have determined this with my facts.

Edited by Phos

Puzzle Plank Galaxy the best song in any video game ever, I have determined this with my facts.

That's a pretty strong statement. But, yeah, it is catchy.

Up to the Green Stars now.