Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

I personally think they should've at least orchestrated the ocean theme.  You hear it a FUCK ton and it's already beautiful as-is, so making it a live-orchestra version would just be fuckin' icing on the cake.

While that would have been cool, I can admit it woulda made the rest of the music sound a bit weedy in comparison.  With orchestral soundtracks I prefer all or nothing, unless it's a game like Mario where all the non-orchestra music is poppy or goofy anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

On a more peripheral note, I just saw this Monster Hunter 4 video...

Zelda 3DS as I truly imagined it.

A mere three posts above :P

Wow, that boating looks a millions times faster than the original!

There's a "Speed Up" upgrade you get in the HD version.

A mere three posts above tongue.png

Yeah, but I didn't actually watch it the first time.  That means it's still relevant, right?

But I had a serious point, which is that it really is what I was expecting from Zelda 3DS.  After OoT3D and Super Mario 3D Land, indeed after PH and ST, I really thought they were lining up a full 3D title to show off the 3DS's abilities.  I hope they do that for the next 3DS Zelda, simply because it's possible now, and I feel it's always a shame to waste a possibility.  Although I guess that my imagined 3DS Zelda title was not unlike ALBW - I thought it'd be interesting to shift between a 2D and 3D perspective, and we sort of got that, although with ALBW it's more like a 2D perspective (top-down) and then a different 2D perspective (side-on).  I just didn't anticipate the ALttP aspect.

Makes me all the more curious what they're lining up for Zelda Wii U.  It sounded like they were being quite experimental with that, which is a breath of fresh air when a lot of Nintendo's other main franchise output right now is playing it very safe.  Now that I think about it, though, ALBW is a bit like that too - the highly experimental perspective-shifting gimmick overlaid on the highly cautious ALttP remake elements (notwithstanding that that wasn't their intention and it really was just going to be a remake before they thankfully realised that would be boring).  So if WWHD is the equivalent of OoT3D, maybe Zelda Wii U is going to be a sequel to a previous popular Zelda title but with a hugely original gameplay twist made possible only by the hardware?

There's a "Speed Up" upgrade you get in the HD version.

It'll certainly help when it comes to the Deku Tree Watering quest...

Seems you can get a £9 discount on WWHD Ganondorf Edition if you enter a code when ordering.

I cancelled and re-ordered so I could use it.. not sure if that will screw me over somehow, GAME's cancellation policy is kinda unclear.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, but I didn't actually watch it the first time.  That means it's still relevant, right?

But I had a serious point, which is that it really is what I was expecting from Zelda 3DS.  After OoT3D and Super Mario 3D Land, indeed after PH and ST, I really thought they were lining up a full 3D title to show off the 3DS's abilities.  I hope they do that for the next 3DS Zelda, simply because it's possible now, and I feel it's always a shame to waste a possibility.  Although I guess that my imagined 3DS Zelda title was not unlike ALBW - I thought it'd be interesting to shift between a 2D and 3D perspective, and we sort of got that, although with ALBW it's more like a 2D perspective (top-down) and then a different 2D perspective (side-on).  I just didn't anticipate the ALttP aspect.

Makes me all the more curious what they're lining up for Zelda Wii U.  It sounded like they were being quite experimental with that, which is a breath of fresh air when a lot of Nintendo's other main franchise output right now is playing it very safe.  Now that I think about it, though, ALBW is a bit like that too - the highly experimental perspective-shifting gimmick overlaid on the highly cautious ALttP remake elements (notwithstanding that that wasn't their intention and it really was just going to be a remake before they thankfully realised that would be boring).  So if WWHD is the equivalent of OoT3D, maybe Zelda Wii U is going to be a sequel to a previous popular Zelda title but with a hugely original gameplay twist made possible only by the hardware?

I for one am very happy we're getting a 2D game. We haven't had a traditional one since 2004, which is sad since the 2D games are arguably better than the 3D ones (This is actually a fact, confirmed by me!).

I also don't see how a 3D game would serve to show off the 3DS abilities better. It's not like this is a sprite based game, it's a full 3D world, just like OOT. The top-down perspective is perfect to show of the 3D, and we already know it still runs at 60fps in 3D, so, yeah, this game is definitely showing what the 3DS can do.

By the way, Aounuma said he thinks top-down Zeldas make more sense for the 3DS since when you use a handheld you're looking down at the screen, while on the TV you're looking forwards or up.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seems you can get a £9 discount on WWHD Ganondorf Edition if you enter a code when ordering.

I cancelled and re-ordered so I could use it.. not sure if that will screw me over somehow, GAME's cancellation policy is kinda unclear.

Awesome sauce! I did the same. You needn't worry about cancelling the old order. I've done that same thing so many times (I've probably more cancelled than fulfilled orders) and haven't had a single problem.

Why didn't they change too much of WW for the HD remake?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/428625/wind-waker-hd-started-life-as-a-tech-demo-for-new-wii-u-zelda/

But while the GameCube classic is receiving both visual and gameplay tweaks in its transition to Wii U, Aonuma said he's "very concerned" with not changing the game too much in fear of upsetting fans of the original.

He likened it to the backlash over the remastered versions of the original Star Wars trilogy. "I too was one of those Star Wars fans who saw the HD Star Wars and was a little bit disappointed because it wasn't my Star Wars. I understand those feelings and I understand the possibility of it happening. So it's something we're aware of," he said.

"I didn't want to change what made the original so much fun ... basically, the overall image of the game, including the story and the flow hasn't been affected, wont be impacted, but we certainly made adjustments so the rhythm doesn't drag.

Basically, he didn't want to pull a "Star Wars" and change too much and upset the fans. You can take this either as a good move or a bad one. I think they did just enough to make it better without removing the charm of the original. But I guess those who wanted a bigger bang for their buck may find this to be a bit irritating.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess that's understandable, but I never really expected them to alter the story in any significant sense.  I just wanted them to do an extra hidden dungeon, or something.  Add a little extra, optional content.

^ This is closer to a port than a remake though.  Has been since the beginning.  In particular none of the cut content was ever going to be re-added because those dungeon concepts were recycled, presumably into Twilight Princess.

I mean, yeah Link's Awakening DX DID add a dungeon, that woulda been awesome.  Though on the flipside 2D stage design can be as simple as plonking down tiles whereas 3D stage design requires modelling and all sorts.

On a personal level I don't ever care TOO much for added content in re-releases because I spend the entire time playing anticipating the new content, then once it has been and gone I'm just like "well that was it, business as usual now I guess".

Edited by JezMM

ij0gxENkfFxGG.gif

ibtKnqPcI4HGQZ.gif

izvJdmbg4NN2C.gif

ipum5oYGvp2Qz.gif

ibqK0bmLiOiAHr.gif

iLbQ8MGia1z95.gif

OH

MY

GOD

DAY 1 2013

Note: Spoiler is just more gifs, not actual spoilers.

Edit: Added one more!

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 7

Eiji Aonuma has stated that, while he has played Skyrim, he's not going to be taking any inspiration from it, not directly, and that he simply played it because of its name.

He also noted that "...everything you play influences what you're thinking, but I'm not looking at other games to try and find inspiration. If it happens, it's a natural process." Which is totally fair enough.

Also, those WWHD gifs. HHHHHHHHHNNNNNGGGGGGG.

Just noticed boat-related actions are always assigned to the D-Pad and Sail automatically assigns to B.  That's a nice touch.  I want to say I'm uncomfortable with B and A remaining B and A with the YXBA setup but I'm pretty sure they did the same on OoT3D and it was fine.

Edited by JezMM

Eiji Aonuma has stated that, while he has played Skyrim, he's not going to be taking any inspiration from it, not directly, and that he simply played it because of its name.

He also noted that "...everything you play influences what you're thinking, but I'm not looking at other games to try and find inspiration. If it happens, it's a natural process." Which is totally fair enough.

Also, those WWHD gifs. HHHHHHHHHNNNNNGGGGGGG.

Hopefully he doesn't. I'd  rather Zelda games not be hideously dull.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope the whole "Dungeons not being done in a specific order" means that we'll be getting a sandboxy-type overworld.

GOD YES.

30 spoilerific minutes of gameplay. Including a part from Puppet Ganon and the Final boss.

ivh53QSSMBTv5.gif

GOODBYE WALLET

final boss is near the end btw. it's not much but daaaaaamn

Edited by Plasm Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 2