Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

Wind Waker HD Boxart:

i_40022.png

Gold again eh?

The gold does look pretty good with the blue box, I'll admit.  I was expecting a lot worse.

Edited by Nix

Aaaand the Japanese version is better. This is exactly the same thing that they did with Skyward Sword. Why change it?

Wind Waker HD Boxart:

*wemadeitgoldbecausefuckyoudissy.jpg*

MOTHERFUCKER WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE JP ONE UGHGUHGUHWEUHGOUHFDSHU

fine whatever

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 2

The only time I'd say the gold thing made the NA boxart look better was Skyward Sword.

Dammit, now Ganondorf is blending in with the background, they could have at least left him alone to signify that he's the main villain.

BTW here's some more footage from the Direct

Something to take note, they seem to have "fine tuned" the triforce quest.

At 1:25 Link receives a piece of the triforce from a chest,

For those who didn't play the original, you could only get the triforce shards from the sea.

So, the implication is that they refined the Triforce quest by eliminating the Triforce Charts/paying Tingle/salvaging element from it.  That's fine, but now there's a new question:  What exactly is Tingle Island going to be good for now?

Oh lolololololol

419px-TWWHD_Boxart_%28EU%29.jpg

Looks like Europe gets the good boxart anyway! biggrin.png

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's not the worst gold box art, but WHY. Why would they change it in NA, again? The art begs to be blue.

The ocean is blue.

The sky is blue.

The Wii U's boxes are BLUE.

I'd get if this were some special edition and the rest of the case were gold, but goddamn.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 4

It's not the worst gold box art, but WHY. Why would they change it in NA, again? The art begs to be blue.

The ocean is blue.

The sky is blue.

The Wii U's boxes are BLUE.

I'd get if this were some special edition and the rest of the case were gold, but goddamn.

Because America is allergic to color. Duuuuuuh. Gotta get them dudebros.

I don't know, I guess I like the original art more, but the feel the gold gives off almost makes it more attractive to me. 

Because America is allergic to color. Duuuuuuh. Gotta get them dudebros.

In all fairness, it's a recurring theme with with the Zelda boxarts. It's dates back right the way to TLoZ on NES and has been the same way for almost every game since. The idea of it is to promote a gold motif for the series more than it is because "oh no too many culurz". Europe has always dithered between the Japanese and American arts, and has only occasionally had one to call it's own.

• Thumbs Up 1

In all fairness, it's a recurring theme with with the Zelda boxarts. It's dates back right the way to TLoZ on NES and has been the same way for almost every game since. The idea of it is to promote a gold motif for the series more than it is because "oh no too many culurz". Europe has always dithered between the Japanese and American arts, and has only occasionally had one to call it's own.

I agree with this. Even Ocarina of Time had gold editions.

zelda_600.jpg

But I feel like, if they're going to be doing a gold motif, it'd be nice if we got a different piece of artwork instead of an existing one, just colored differently. The problem here isn't that gold sucks or is generic or not colorful enough, it's that the colors really pulled the original image together. WWHD's NA box still looks good, and the gold does give it its own appeal, but it's begging to be in full color.

But hey, it's better than the North American OoT 3D attempt. 

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_3D_c

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ahahaha great, I knew we'd be getting the Japanese cover art! =D After all, we did get the Japanese boxart for the DS and 3DS games. And Skyward Sword!

But yah, the gold just makes the whole thing look less colourful and appealing.

Yeah, I know they can do better after seeing the utter brilliance that was Twilight Princess's boxart. 

250px-The_Legend_of_Zelda_Twilight_Princ

Skyward Sword's american art looks pretty great too.

I think Twilight Princess is the only time I'm glad I got the NA Box Art, it just looks so awesome. Everything else looks far better for the UK/JPN box arts, ESPECIALLY SKYWARD SWORD AND WIND WAKER. GAH! Why'd they have to make it gold and wash out all the colors? >.<

I know it's tradition with the original gold cartridge but still, it looks so much better without and.... blarghblarghblegh

Edited by Goldenlink64

A Wind Waker HD Gold Case [special Edition] would be cool, especially since it's $60.

Someone @SegaForums fixed the NA boxart.

uhvx.png

Link had the standard angry eyes, but the smile didn't fit...

• Thumbs Up 7

So, about that bloom effect:

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/newer-wind-waker-hd-screenshots-show-reduced-bloom-effect-hud-shrinkage

Our friends over at GenGAME have been busy doing some detective work and they noticed something rather interesting. As the title implies, the #1 complaint about the graphical overhaul for The Wind Waker seems to have been dialed back just a bit at this point from its E3 showing. Want to see just how big the difference is?

Above: E3 2013 Below: August 2013

In addition to bloom reductions, the HUD has also seemingly shrunk. It is notable however that we have yet to see screenshots of the game running on the GamePad, or at least confirmed screenshots of such an event. The GamePad does tend to lower the brightness of games down, so this could be a comparison of the game running on the TV to the GamePad.

However, since none of the screenshots were labled as GamePad specific, it's safe to assume this is a direct TV comparison of improvements over time.

Source: GenGAME 

For whatever reason, I can't link to the actual images on this board, so go ahead and click the Link (get it? hahahahahahahasigh) to see them.

Looks much better. I was starting to grow fond of the bloom, but the lighting looks much more faithful to the original now. The HUD is also a big improvement.

I'm really glad they turned down the bloom so much. I didn't hate it, but I honestly thought it was too bright at times. It's perfect now, imo :D