Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

I'll probably miss the motion controls for aiming ranged weapons, but - while I liked Skyward Sword's motion swordplay just fine - I don't think I'd be heartbroken if Zelda Wii U left it out. It was good enough, but it didn't leave a huge impression on me.

I actually disliked TP's because it felt like an excuse more than anything. Pointer-based bow use was pretty good though.

I like SS's because it feels worthwhile and it made enemies feel a little more substantial and fun to fight.

Honestly it just made them more annoying, to me. Once they introduced the guys with the electrified weapons my strategy became "shank that fucker before he sees me and I have to fight him properly".

• Thumbs Up 3

I think they are the Technoblin's where using a non-conductive shield is key. I always thought it was clever how changing time would cause them to transform back into piles of bones.

While the motion controls in SS WERE spot-on for me there was a lot of disconnect I admit.  Like I was really thinking about what I was doing IRL too much to invest fully in the game world, and... in an ironic sense, I was so IMPRESSED with the non-IR based aiming that every time I got my bow out I thought "now I don't need to point it at the screen or anything so don't fuss over doing so" to myself.

Also GCN Zelda TP master race.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've only ever played the GC version of Twilight Princess, and I'm constantly surprised when I remember that the Wii version even exists.

TP is my favourite 3D Zelda for reasons I can't quite articulate, but it's a tenuous adoration. Waggle controls would probably be enough to send it on a nosedive into last place.

Edited by Octarine

I thought the combat in general for TP was lackluster. Slash and bite at everything with reckless abandon until it dies. Also, touching a boss doesn't actually harm you. Dark Nuts were basically on the level of SS's basic enemy roster in that I actually felt like I was in a true combat situation, waiting for openings and exploiting them while trying to guard myself in return. Otherwise, bleh. If I had a choice between the two- waggle or no waggle- I'd prefer SS's combat.

• Thumbs Up 3

So I've been trying to force myself to play Ocarina of Time's Master Quest for the bajillionth time, and once again I'm losing interest before I've even reached Dodongo's Cavern. I just can't get excited for Ocarina anymore. It's a great game, an all-time classic that will rightfully be remembered by gamers for years and years to come. But the fact is, I've just played the game way too many times in the last 15 years. Altered MQ dungeons aside, nothing is new or fresh. I know all the game's secrets, every little plot detail and sidequest, the locations of all of the heart pieces and even the gold skulltulla's to an extent. I just feel like I'm going through the motions and putting my brain on auto-pilot whenever I play it now.

I guess I really just need to stay away from it for several more years in the hopes that I can forget something.For now, I guess I'll switch to something that I truly haven't played in a while; like the Oracle games or Link's Awakening, maybe.

Edited by Speederino

Finally got to play GCN Twilight Princess recently and I'm at the end now. What do I think? Well...it's overrated.

Yeah sorry, but this is not the best 3D Zelda game. I still stand by the opinion that Wind Waker is the best 3D Zelda game of all! My problems with it are that Hyrule field is far too big, the Hylian character models are damn ugly, wolf Link was super boring to play as (having to find those Tears of Light was a pain) and the Dungeons and items weren't very memorable this time around. Even the story, whilst having some great moments feels like it's trying too hard to be dark and epic. It's trying too hard to be like OoT. Also, dat final boss is random as fuck! Why does HE have to be involved in all of this again? ><

I think the only good highlights of the game are Midna, the music and the graphics, which look nice. I think it's a good Zelda game, but it's certainly not the best and deserves an 8.5 at the most. To think this was my most hyped Zelda game ever back then...

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought the combat in general for TP was lackluster. Slash and bite at everything with reckless abandon until it dies. Also, touching a boss doesn't actually harm you. Dark Nuts were basically on the level of SS's basic enemy roster in that I actually felt like I was in a true combat situation, waiting for openings and exploiting them while trying to guard myself in return. Otherwise, bleh. If I had a choice between the two- waggle or no waggle- I'd prefer SS's combat.

I liked the amount of moves you could get in TP, but they were poorly implemented. It always came down to using the sidestep roll or the helm-splitter, and sometimes even doing that much was overkill. Not to mention auto-blocking was lame, and the strongest enemy in the game was only able to take out a single heart of damage at a time- unless I'm forgetting someone, even the final boss was like this. Compare that to Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, where some enemies and bosses can deal up to five.

Skyward Sword had a huge list of problems to me, but the combat at least required you to pay attention, if nothing else.

Started plpaying WW for the first time a few days ago, and it just so happens to be the first time i've actually sat down and played a Zelda game properly. So far I'm enjoying quite a lot! The beginning isn't too slow like I thought TP's was, and the first dungeon, Dragon Roost Cavern, is actually quite enjoyable and made me have to think a bit.

Continuing on from that point, I also feel that the so called 'kiddy' artstyle doesn't detract from the game's sense of atmosphere or foreboding and I really don't understand why people originally hated it so much. In fact imo WW has aged the best out of all Zelda games, and I even think it looks better than SS, which had a style I really liked.

Overall I'm enjoying myself. Consider me a Zelda fan now.

Oh and I don't find the sailing bad. In fact I actually enjoy it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/rumor-zelda-u-a-sequel-to-twilight-princes

The new rumor is that the next Zelda is an open world sequel to Twilight Princess.

Even if this were true, I wonder what direction they could possibly take the plot in?

Oh boy, more bland-looking washed-out aesthetics and not being as good at being dark as Majora's Mask.  

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 3

Even if this were true, I wonder what direction they could possibly take the plot in?

A larger widespread enemy, or a more subtle manipulator? perhaps a villan so evil that the latest version of ganondorf actualy becomes a good guy? who knows

Oh boy, more bland-looking washed-out aesthetics and not being as good at being dark as Majora's Mask.  

I kinda wonder why Twilight Princess always gets shit for not being quite as dark as Majora's Mask as if that's some sort of negative.

A larger widespread enemy, or a more subtle manipulator? perhaps a villan so evil that the latest version of ganondorf actualy becomes a good guy? who knows

Ganondorf was kinda dead at the end of Twilight Princess, so yeah, that wouldn't work.

I... kind of hope that's true.

I really want to play a Zelda game with a massive overworld like Skyrim. If this is true, there's no doubt about it - I am getting a Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kinda wonder why Twilight Princess always gets shit for not being quite as dark as Majora's Mask as if that's some sort of negative.

It's not that it gets shit for not being quite as dark, it's just that Majora's Mask was dark in a creative way while Twilight Princess was just dark in a.................generic way. Like Majora's mask was much more colourful and appealing to the eye yet still managed to be incredibly dark and creepy through it's characters, the situation, and the music. Twilight Princess just makes the world darker and the colours more washed-out and isn't really that dark otherwise. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 3

Nnnnno, nope, sorry Anouma, I don't want this.

Why not give us that Majoras Mask sucsessor instead of giving one to "Hey do you remember Ocarina of Time!?" the game?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

you guys should know by now that the Online Coop part confirms this to be 100% Fake

huehuehuehuehue

if it is true however, it sounds pretty Cool, but to be Honest I liked Wind Wakers and Skyward Sword's Artstyles way more than TP's and would've preferred something more like that. But TP is fine too in my books, especially with the Open World thing.

How is TP "Hey, remember Ocarina of Time?" the game when it actually uses a bunch of original ideas for it's puzzles, Dungeons, and items? The only Ocarina references in it are just little shout outs and stuff that indicates that this IS the same Hyrule. How is that a bad thing.?

• Thumbs Up 1

Why not give us that Majoras Mask sucsessor instead of giving one to "Hey do you remember Ocarina of Time!?" the game?

But according to the rumor, the formula of progression and dungeon order is completely different from Ocarina's.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Ugh, I hated Twilight Princess.  Too fucking easy and trying way too hard to be epic and grand when the best things about the game were all on a much smaller scale.  Also, everyone was ugly as fuck.

I'd much rather see a return to Termina or another one of the much-less-talked-about regions than another "OH NO IT'S GANON" plot.

Edited by The Skull Kid

What would you guys do if the sequel to Twilight Princess DOES return to Termina?

I mean, it's not impossible.

I loved Majora's Mask but the story of Termina is pretty much done. Trying to do anything more with it would probably involve stomping on my happy memories of it.

• Thumbs Up 6

How come Ocarina, Wind Waker, and ATTLP are allowed sewuels (spirtual or otherwise) but MM is somehow a sacred cow that had no room for expansion whatsoever?