Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

Yeah, it was incredibly generic CGI. Not terrible, just generic. If the character aesthetic was much more unique, it would be much more interesting.

I didn't think it was too bad.  The designs for Link and Zelda were pretty decent I thought, but the more masculine characters (like Ganon) looked pretty bad.  The environment would probably benefit from some more color; everyone just looks a bit out of place in its dull browns.  The animation wasn't terrible, though I feel that the overall pacing was rather uneven; the battle with the chariot was rushed to its conclusion and it was hard to actually get a good glimpse of the assailants.

I'm kind of curious of what the movie would be if it actually got made tho'.  Some potential there I think.

Edited by Nix

I'd assume, if it had gotten greenlighted, Nintendo would have sent some art designers to oversee the project. I mean, it is Nintendo after all. 

... Actually now that I think about it, the only way a Zelda movie would happen is if Nintendo made it themselves, huh? Isn't Retro the only case of them giving a property out to someone who isn't them?

I'd assume, if it had gotten greenlighted, Nintendo would have sent some art designers to oversee the project. I mean, it is Nintendo after all. 

... Actually now that I think about it, the only way a Zelda movie would happen is if Nintendo made it themselves, huh? Isn't Retro the only case of them giving a property out to someone who isn't them?

Retro is one of their second parties so they technically are Nintendo.

But yeah after Nintendo's bad history with licensed products they'd rather keep things close to home. The Pokémon and Kirby anime, as well as the Animal Crossing movie, were all made by studios that Nintendo own, if I recall correctly.

I just came in here to say, I thought the CGI TMNT movie was great you cu- people who's opinions I respect.

Also, the rumour is obviously fake. Zelda Informer mostly has fake rumours. Personally I don't see the problem with a TP sequel, really. If they improve the world by filling it up with hidden things and mini dungeons it could be cool. While I'm sure it's fake, I'd be pretty cool with it ending up true.

The online co-op is biggest give away. Everything else I could buy, even the fake language voice acting, but that is just blatantly fake.

Regarding TMNT, the only complaint I heard about it were how the humans looked, but that's about it. I don't think people mean to say the film itself was awful (it had some flaws, and this is coming from someone who enjoys it to some extent) but rather everyone but the Turtles themselves looked bad design-wise.

But anyways, to be more on-topic, yeah I'm kinda glad it didn't get picked up since it does indeed look fairly generic.

So since we've got nothing else to really talk about involving the next game, I figure we might as well talk about what we'd want in the next game - just baseless speculation really.

My own post about this is going to be really fucking long and probably predictable knowing the rants I've gotten into recently, so I kind of want to see some other ideas tossed around before writing it. To be brief though, main priorities for me are better story, better combat, and a more somber, serious tone (not because cartoony is bad, but because I've just been burnt out on it by now).

Priorities for me are changing up the game and basic dungeon formulas, bigger emphasis on connecting the player to the world or encouraging the player to care about the world (like Majora's Mask did). More interesting items that are fun to use, not just for solving puzzles, but for general use in combat and travel. For example, pegasus boots in the 2D games. Puzzles, attacks, going faster on the map, it does it all, and it's damn fun to use!! Using things like the slingshot in 2D Zeldas is handy for even normal close combat too, but in 3D Zeldas so long as you have a sword, it's always the most efficient and fun way to dispatch enemies. It'd be nice if there were other fun ways to do this.

As for art style, I'd like to see something new so long as it doesn't take itself really seriously. I want to see crazy fantastic unique things that could only exist in Zelda and will make me think for hours about the fantasy world of the game. The same way the moon or masks affect people in MM, or the way the Minish affect the world in Minish Cap. Heck an expansion of the silent realm and its denizens could be great, those were some of the creepiest parts of TP and SS and they were fascinating.

• Thumbs Up 8

For the next Zelda to really excite me, I would love if they did something that pulled the rug under everyone's feet; a Majora's Mask spiritual sequel. 

That game is not only my favorite 3d Zelda, but the one that I felt perfected the formula the OoT had with its mask changing mechanic that drastically altered Links abilities, living breathing world with everyone having there own patterns you could follow, great dungeon design/layout, and a really unnerving tone that lingered throughout the game.  Basically, it was the Zelda that I thought took the most risk (with Wind Waker being another example of that) and succeed with its bold ideas and made a amazing game. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were great games, but they were too safe or there unique ideas fell flat on there face (the motion controls in SS were really mixed for some, including me who thought they controlled horrible at the GameStop demo I played a few years ago), making there mark on the series not as big as WW or Majora.

With what the series should do next, I feel like they could take the transformation mechanics from Majora along with its dark tone and living world and mix it with the more open WRPG's on the market (scale wise; Skyrim is huge and a Zelda on that caliber would be amazing :)).  Link could gather different armors that would transform him into different races like the Zora, Gorron, Duke Scrubs, and some new races in the series to give Link a large batch of abilities (like swimming really fast underwater, having super strength to carry objects, fly in the air, ect) and open the doors to some really cool combat.

Link would also be able to tackle the quest how you see fit just like the very first Zelda, bring back that since of wonder that series started out with.  That would also make dungeons more dynamic with them having a very Metroid style feel to them with having a simple path to follow but once you get bombs or a special armor you can access different path that could lead to new items, tools, and even additional bosses for Link to fight. 

I would just like the next Zelda not just to be great, but to really shape the landscape for adventure games like OoT and Majora's Mask did in the past. 

I think the two things I want the most are less linearity and items with more uses.

In terms of linearity, I don't want a full open-world style game. There'd be too big a risk of feeling like there was a whole lot of nothing between the actual locations, and WW, TP, and SS proved that's no good even without being massive. Honestly I'd rather the game world be relatively small, but tightly packed; I'd rather there was always something nearby to do rather than staring at the horizon and tapping A until I actually get somewhere. But I want the game to let you progress along different lines at the same time, like the parts of the world function independently rather than being chained to your progress through the plot. I want to feel like I actually have room and reason to explore, and that I'm not just following the path they tell me to take.

As far as items, I feel like the series sometimes makes items that are interesting, but too tightly pigeonholed into a specific use/situation. Everyone loved the spinner in TP...but once you get past that dungeon there's maybe 5 tracks in the rest of the game, and it's basically useless without them. Why couldn't there have been tracks all over the place? Why couldn't it have been a viable way to travel even without them? I want to see items that are useful enough that I keep taking them out past the dungeon I got them in, and in situations where they're not necessary by design.

If they could do both of those, I'd probably be pretty happy with the game regardless of what else they did.

But as for a real longshot idea, I'd really like to see an expanded partner system. I'm pretty sure I talked about this earlier in the thread, but I really liked how WW had you team up with Medli and Makar for a dungeon each, and I think it'd be cool to make that a game-wide thing. Zelda games already give you a partner, but they tend to fold away into your pocket whenever they're not needed; I'd like to see one with more physical presence, one that'd feel like an actual partner and not just a tutorial with a face (Fi...). And I think there's a lot they could do mechanically in both puzzles and combat, as long as the AI wasn't balls.

...also bring back roc's cape

• Thumbs Up 6

It's always been weird to me that the Pegasus Boots and Roc's Cape haven't ever appeared in a 3D Zelda. The former especially; most of them have had some kind of boot item, and by Skyward Sword (or I guess Majora's Mask, though the Bunny Hood was pretty appropriate for that particular game) someone had clearly realized that a way to move faster on foot would be handy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would click on that but Wind Waker HD is coming out and I've never played the game before.

Sorry Discoid. :(

What is that music even from? I mean, it fits the scene; I'm just curious.

(I haven't actually played it, but the game's soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard)

Edited by Discoid

Well, I think it's a great video game series, but I never really played it all that much during my childhood, so I don't have as much fond memories as I do with many of Nintendo's other games.

Still, If I had to pick my favorite Zelda game, It would have to be (And I just know my highschool friends would tease me to know end if they read this) Wind Waker.

I think one of the reasons why i love it so much, is because it introduced me to the Zelda series and really showed me what to expect with the other games in the series. Not only that, but I, along with the rest of my family, have an affinity for tropical areas and the ocean, so sailing the great sea in this game and visiting islands just really clicks with my interest. Yeah, the triforce fetch quest near the end was probably the worst part of the game, and I remember rage quitting a few times during that part. Thankfully, I was able to suck it up and beat the game. I'd say of all the zelda games I've played so far, the final boss fight with Ganondorf was probably the most fun out of all the final boss fights I've played so far in the Zelda series.

After a friend learned that I recently beat Wind Waker,  he lent me both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for me to play. My friends would constantly go on about how OoT was the "game of eternity" whereas Majora's Mask was the disappointing sequel. I had fun with them... but nowadays? Well, they're both pretty fun games, but good GOD, I didn't think they were that good.

OoT was a pretty groundbreaking game. What Super Mario 64 did with platformers, OoT did with Adventure games. However nowadays when I play it, I can see the flaws the game has, and the graphics aren't as appealing to the eye. Granted, it was an n64 game, but the graphics were nothing compared to Majora's Mask.

Speaking of Majora's Mask, lets talk about that too... I remember popping the game in as soon as I finished OoT, and I ended up liking it more.

The surreal atmosphere and mysterious setting really drew me in more than OoT did. Not to mention, the masks gave a nice and unique variety in gameplay... It was like you were playing as completely different characters, Sadly, the only things held it back for me was the GODDAMN time limit. What everyone else sees as an ominous and effective scare tactic, I see as just a hindrance that holds me back from exploring the entire world and speed running all the sidequests like I do with these games when I'm near the end. Not to mention that even with the sidequests, this game feels much shorter than the other Zelda games I played.

In the end, MM and OoT are fun, but there are times where I get sick of hearing everyone go on and on about these games, to the point where It ruins both them for me. But, if I don't dwell on that, then they're both very fun plays that I do enjoy revisiting from time to time.

Twilight Princess... Well, I had a lot of fun with it when I first bought it for the Wii. But as of recently, I can't really be bothered to play it anymore, unlike OoT and MM. I dunno why that is, but there's something about it that's just... bores me. I dunno if it's the art design, or the length of the game, or if the Waggle controls have anything to do with it, but It just doesn't click with me like it did years ago.

Skyward Sword, I actually find to be pretty fun. Actually, only beat the first temple, and I haven't played it since due to... uh.,, reasons. Truth be told, I actually don't know why I stopped playing it. I may have to change that in a bit here, but so far, I really like the characters and I find the motion control gameplay to be pretty fun. maybe its because  im not fat lazy bastards like all of you are im just kidding please dont hurt me

However, one of the things i'm not liking so far is how the world of Skyloft and the Surface aren't as endearing or as interesting as OoT, MM and even WW. Still, I think it's too early for me to judge, and I'm actually going to play a bit in a while here.

So yeah, I guess that's my history with the zelda games or, at least the 3D ones.

Edited by Mr. Mayhem!

I'd echo concerns about linearity and item usability in the recent games.  Spirit Tracks basically had no replay value unless you left it for months or years until you'd forgotten what it was like, simply as it railroaded (yeah, I know, aptly enough) you in one direction the whole way through.  Maybe if it had given you a range of options to explore at any one time, and the ability to lay track yourself rather than always following pre-established routes?  Setting your own tracks would've been cool.  And then it had the Sand Rod (I forget its actual name), which was really neat but, like people say about the Spinner from TP, had no use outside of areas specifically designed for it.  So what I'd be looking for in a future game is for there to be more freedom of choice on every level - in where you go next and how you use your items.

Oh, and for the dungeons not to follow the same elemental themes they've become addicted to.  I can't remember the last Zelda game I played that didn't simply retread the classical elements.  The Oracles games?  I think I'd like dungeons to be more themed around the items introduced in them, or if that's not possible, around some other non-elemental motif.  They might also want to try and be less epic.  I'm aware that a lot of this is nostalgia talking, but I remember playing Link's Awakening and feeling so much more intimidated and weirded out by the dungeons because they were essentially just big creepy caves sitting in the middle of nowhere, without possessing a vital role in the local mythology and fate of the world.  (Well, they did, of course, but it was quite a way into the game before you understood the full implications of it.)  The world was smaller, so I felt smaller.

Okay, so for my ideal Zelda game, I want to start off by listing inspirations. Sort of like how everyone ever, including Aonuma, is saying they want to take elements from Skyrim for their upcoming games. It isn't to say that they should copy them necessarily, but that they should try to achieve some of the same experiences those games delivered on.

Gameplay/Toning - Shadow of the Colossus

Story/Presentation/Music – NieR/Xenoblade/Kingdom Hearts

I've written about this earlier on in the topic, but let me elaborate on why I think these things would be a good fit for Zelda if done right. I love Zelda's dungeon design; we all do, and that's why we're Zelda fans in the first place. The level design in every game has always been engaging, puzzling, and fun. The dungeons still have room for improvement (which I'll elaborate on later), but that is one thing Zelda already does fantastically and is a big part of what it's always been - puzzle solving adventuring. Level design is where Zelda excels, and for me, that is what makes it what it is.

Art design is something else the series always excels in. While I'm not overly fond of Ocarina of Time or Skyward Sword's art styles (they get the job done), I absolutely adore the art directions of both games, for (obviously) completely different reasons. Wind Waker in particular is very cleverly designed, as the simplistic design of it is a genius loophole past the Gamecube's technical limitations, leading to the game looking great even today. For the next game, however, I'd like for them to take full advantage of the Wii U's HD edge and deliver something more detailed again, like that tech demo we saw last year. I think it'd do a lot for the sense of dazzlement and wonder you get from exploring a new area or watching a major cutscene. 

On to the games I mentioned earlier - for these, I'm going to use a lot of videos for examples, so if you can watch through them to see what I'm talking about, that'd be awesome.

For starters, something that has almost always disappointed me in Zelda is the bosses, especially after playing through Shadow of the Colossus. When you think about it, both games try to accomplish the same things with their bosses - take what is essentially a puzzle involving combat, and turn it into something exciting and cool by pitting you up against an intimidating beast. Both of them are puzzles at heart, and though the puzzles are different in how they are solved (Zelda's weapons being the means by which you solve the puzzle, whereas the weapons in SotC serve a much smaller purpose), the two games are fundamentally similar. 

That being said, let's take a look at a boss from each game - Argorok, from Twilight Princess, and Avion, the 5th Colossus out of 16. Design wise, both of these enemies look pretty intimidating, I think, so that's good. I vividly remember how excited I was to fight Argorok the first time I played Twilight Princess. I also vividly remember how disappointed I was when I finished doing so. See, how do you fight Argorok? You stand around running in circles as he slowly flies around the arena, then hookshot him when he's floating, stationary in the air, completely wide open, for no reason, waiting for you to attack him. ... Really? Alright, you go up, and you latch on to him, pulling him down to break his armor. Next phase - do it again, but this time you have to hook yourself a bit higher up onto the walls. Again, I ask, why in the world would this dragon simply meander around, with his defenses completely down, simply waiting for you to attack him? This, to me, completely breaks my immersion in the game. I'm simply waiting for the boss to reveal its massive flashing "KILL ME" button, and happily obliging. But then, for the exciting final phase, you take to the sky using these floating whatever the fucks that appear for no reason whatsoever, and zip from whatever the fuck to whatever the fuck as he's shooting fire out of his mouth! ... Very slowly, rotating around at a pace that is sure to not pose any challenge whatsoever. Then, when he tires out, he stupidly meanders around until you go in there for the final hit, like a champ! Aww yeah! All the while, the music (this bit is completely subjective, of course) just plays but isn't really noticeable on account of it being so dull.

Now, compare to Avion. You enter this large lake and see the colossus looming in the distance, perched atop the tower of some sunken ruins. You swim up to a platform, and to catch his attention, shoot an arrow at him. Cue music. In an instant, he zooms forward, straight at you, and you jump onto his wing, holding on with all your might as he flings you around. Now its your job to keep an eye on your stamina gauge and let go of him whenever he's flying parallel to the ground so you can take a breather. Once you get your chance, you dash to the edge of his wing and attack his weak point (in the context of the game's story, I believe your sword is magic and highlights enemy weaknesses) as much as you can until you tire out. As you're doing this, his flight pattern grows more and more sporadic, and hanging on becomes more of a challenge the further on you go. Keep doing this until he's finally had enough, as he crashes down into the water, dead. 

What's the big difference here? Where the Zelda fight has more a rigid structure with its separate phases of the battle, the Shadow of the Colossus one feels a lot more dynamic and free-flowing. When you enter the lake, it's up to you to figure out that the best way to bait him is with arrows, and that you can latch onto his wing once he flies in to attack, and once you’ve figured it out, that’s it. No separate phases, no bullshit reason for you to start over, or anything like that. You’ve figured out the puzzle, and now it’s time to act. One of the best things about it, in my opinion, is that the method with which you attack isn’t completely asinine. None of the colossi just stand around waiting for you to kill them. It’s only method of attacking is to charge at you, just like yours is to latch on and stab when he does exactly that. It’s a very clever bit of game design, in my opinion, and stands in very stark contrast to Zelda’s rigid, “gamey” structure. It’s also a lot more immersive and engaging, in my opinion. It makes the game feel much more… “alive”, so to speak. It really benefits the tone of the game, as it doesn’t draw attention away from anything on account of silly game design.

While I don’t remember Skyward Sword very much (or maybe part of the problem is exactly that), I do recall the fights with Ghirahim and the Imprisoned or being rather lackluster, what with the former being akin to a game of Simon Says, and the latter having you trim the toenails of a monster that somehow manages to be absolutely enormous and simultaneously not at all intimidating at the same time. Maybe this just has to do with my distaste for the Wii Remote and motion controls in that game’s fights, though.

To elaborate further, I’d like a new combat system. Zelda has always used a plethora of items to build its puzzles around, so why not do combat in a similar way? I mentioned this idea earlier on in the thread – why not have more dynamic combat with the items, rather than relying completely on the sword? It’d give the player some freedom, add a great degree of depth to the gameplay, and could vary the enemies quite a bit as well. Darknuts, for instance, could be memorable for making you use a multitude of items to kill, what with them being the strongest enemies in the games most of the time.

Anyway, I’m digressing quite a bit here. What I’m essentially trying to say is that I want the game to take a page out of SotC’s book with its tone, game design, and sense of scale. I mean, the Imprisoned is about the same size of some of the colossi anyway, so why does he not feel large or threatening? Maybe it’s the music? The screen shaking whenever a colossus takes a step? The camera angle? I honestly don’t know, but it really shows how just little cinematic touches like that work wonders for making a game more immersive and exciting.

And speaking of cinematics~

The next game I mentioned – NieR. Now here me out here; I’m well aware that NieR and Zelda don’t share many similarities beyond the fantasy setting. What I’m here to talk about is presentation, something that (despite being rather ugly on a technical level) NieR absolutely nails. While I can’t claim to be an expert on the game, seeing as how I haven’t actually gotten the chance to play it myself, I have seen a few cutscenes, and I very much like the approach that it takes. There’s a lot of strong imagery, great cinematography, and the voice acting is stellar. Example? The opening shows off all of these things. Oh, and the music is fucking amazing. I’m not too interested in NieR for the gameplay (on all accounts I hear it’s “just okay” gameplay-wise), but I am absolutely stoked to experience it, and that’s something I wish I could say for Zelda. Some of the best music in any video game, an amazing story, and very striking tone and imagery? Sign me right up, please.

Xenoblade handles cutscenes similarly, and so does Kingdom Hearts. Come to think of it, it’s not even a game-specific thing. I just want the cutscenes to have some more dynamic camera angles, voice acting, and movement. Do I want to turn the game into a movie? No, but considering Zelda has plenty of cutscenes as is, I don’t think wanting them to match modern standards is too much to ask for, to be honest. It’s a big deal to me. I like being engrossed in the stories of my favorite games, and caring about the characters. More cinematic cutscenes go a long way to keep me engaged. Skyward Sword had some good moments itself, actually. I remember the battle on the bridge in particular being a very good scene, as well as Link and Zelda’s scene together,

before she turns into crystal

. Mind you, they’d have been better with voice acting, but I understand that Nintendo likes to take baby steps. Next game, please?

Oh, and about the whole “being engrossed in the story” thing… that takes a good story, too. Something that Zelda has never been good at for whatever reason. The lore is there, the complex timeline is there, the art direction is there… where’s the story? I want to boot up the game wanting to know what happens next. I want to play until late in the night wanting to see how the plot will progress. I want to remember the characters vividly for their struggles, their dialogue, and their actions. This is something that Zelda’s never really been too good at, but I forgive it on the basis that the games were a product of their time and did push the envelope in a lot of other ways. With Skyward Sword… it felt kind of dated the year it came out, in my opinion. Motion controls notwithstanding, of course.

Finally… music. This is, like many other things I’ve mentioned already, completely subjective. I’ve just never really found Zelda music exciting. Compare this to this. Or this to this. Big orchestral symphonic stuff is cool. I like that. Zelda should have that, because it’d fit like a charm. Not to say Zelda music is bad or anything, I quite like the compositions, I just think they should work on a bigger scale. Get a full orchestra and go all out, because it could really give us something amazing.

Anywho… that’s about it. There’s a lot of things I’d want for Zelda, and that’s because I honestly do love the series. I think it has a ton of potential, and I want to see it tap into that. I want to see Zelda become the best in the industry like it used to be, because really, I know that it can be. All they have to do is get their creative juices flowing, and really have some ambition with the next game.

I hope we don’t get another cookie cutter Zelda. That’s all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I want to give Zelda another chance, but before I make a crapshoot, here's what I'm looking for:

-Sense of direction. The problem I seem to run into in Zelda games is that I have no fucking idea where to go or how to get there. It's happened in OoT, it's Happened in MM, it happened in Link to the Past, and it happened in the original. Exploration is fine, but if a game is going to keep me interested, there has to has to be some sense of direction to it's progression. The only game that didn't get me insanely lost was Minish Cap which I was having so much fun with until the bullshit that leads me to my next thing

-Lack of Darknuts/Standard enemies that are harder to kill than the fucking final boss. In Minish Cap I got to that room with the 3 fucking Darknuts before Vaati and I just can't fucking kill them because they follow your every goddamn move 1:1 and the only time you can attack with weaker power is when they're attacking you with greater power. It's asinine design and I'm not putting up with it.

-Balance of Rupee drops and the prices of items. In every Zelda game I've played, I always find myself wacking grass for 3 fucking hours just to buy something needed to progress. Yes rupees can be found in chests, but for some reason I always end up spending them before I have to buy an item for progression. I'd like it if enemies dropped more than one rupee at regular rates.

-Not being shit. In other words playing Zelda II isn't going to happen.

Are there any games in the series like this?

Edited by Solkia

Okay, I want to give Zelda another chance, but before I make a crapshoot, here's what I'm looking for:

-Sense of direction. The problem I seem to run into in Zelda games is that I have no fucking idea where to go or how to get there. It's happened in OoT, it's Happened in MM, it happened in Link to the Past, and it happened in the original. Exploration is fine, but if a game is going to keep me interested, there has to has to be some sense of direction to it's progression. The only game that didn't get me insanely lost was Minish Cap which I was having so much fun with until the bullshit that leads me to my next thing

-Lack of Darknuts/Standard enemies that are harder to kill than the fucking final boss. In Minish Cap I got to that room with the 3 fucking Darknuts before Vaati and I just can't fucking kill them because they follow your every goddamn move 1:1 and the only time you can attack with weaker power is when they're attacking you with greater power. It's asinine design and I'm not putting up with it.

-Balance of Rupee drops and the prices of items. In every Zelda game I've played, I always find myself wacking grass for 3 fucking hours just to buy something needed to progress. Yes rupees can be found in chests, but for some reason I always end up spending them before I have to buy an item for progression. I'd like it if enemies dropped more than one rupee at regular rates.

Are there any games in the series like this?

I haven't played any of the games in almost two years now, but I do think Skyward Sword might fit that criteria. In my opinion it's got some issues of its own, but those particular problems should be okay. One thing you probably won't like is the padding, though. One particular instance ("Impressive... you have proven yourself to be the chosen hero..." *two lines later* "but I can't just go giving ___ to any hero who meanders by. Pass this test to prove yourself to me.") was the most annoying fucking thing in any Zelda game. 

Other than that, it's the best one, mechanically speaking. Though it weighs heavily on your opinion on motion controls. It's done well, but if you don't like motion, you won't like motion.