Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

Eh. Every other series under the sun is about combat. I'd rather Zelda stick to puzzle-adventure.

• Thumbs Up 1

They could have a Rising-esque "Ninja Mode" button where time slows down and you use your finger to swipe in different directions to slash your sword. Obviously not something the entire combat system should be based around (Rising has a very intuitive, fun combat system outside its cutting mechanics), but it could be neat.

I dunno, ninja-like speed is not something I associate with Link.

Actually... come to think of it, I'd rather have the items play a bigger roll in normal combat. Something like... oh! How about having the clawshots work something like the Werehog's arms in Sonic Unleashed? Yank small enemies toward you, pull yourself towards large ones, shoot the chains out for ranges attacks, and so forth? Or the boomerang... uh, maybe something like the boomerangs in those Ty games, but less powerful? You could throw a boomerang from afar to stun an enemy, quickly switch to the clawshot to yank yourself towards it, and then finish it off with your sword.

This they definitely need more of, though. Items should be combat tools as much as puzzle tools, and for more than just the one boss of the dungeon you got it in.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought of the item idea just as I finished that first part.

Forget that, I like the second idea way better.

What if it was like Metal Gear Rising? Using the right stick, that is.

I thought about this, but Zelda isn't the sort of action game Rising is. Some inspiration wouldn't hurt tho.

....platinum games for next Zelda.

• Thumbs Up 3

I thought about this, but Zelda isn't the sort of action game Rising is.

Yeah, but stealing a control mechanic doesn't mean the rest of the game would necessarily play any way the same.

They could honestly probably develop the combat in ways that didn't involve swinging your sword a certain direction.  It's not like that's a super innovative mechanic anyway.  I think Discoid has the right idea.

There's nothing more annoying to me, in a Zelda-game, than a bullshit item that's good for one super-specific thing and nothing else (examples: Dominion Rod, Gust Bellows).  My favorite items are always the ones that can be used for many different things (examples:  Gust Jar, the "Heavy Item of the Game"), so I'd love if EVERY item was like that.

For example, what if the Dominion Rod could've brought life to anything made of a certain material?  So you could bring certain enemies' weapons and armor to life, causing them to turn against their former masters?  Or maybe you could use it to drop certain parts of the environment on your enemies?

Speaking of items, though, I'd like to see some more classic items being used in the 3D games; the Cane of Somaria, Roc's Feather, Switch Hooks, Invisibility Cloak...those would all be awesome to see brought to life nowadays.

To be fair, the Gust Bellows actually had multiple purposes. Blowing sand, moving platforms, moving fans, leaving an enemy to wind itself, or charging a windmill.

I remember reading they wanted to take influence from Skyrim for the next Zelda game. Zelda + Nintendo HD + Skyrim + NO BETHESDA = Bug free Zelda fun galore.

72tylk.jpg

26k3.jpg

6hmo.jpg

jtug.jpg

foqd.jpg

1x7c.jpg

v2ge.jpg

lc3r.jpg

33c96hw.jpg 

SO YEAH GUYS THIS WAS ALMOST A THING

So... please forgive me if this is old news, but I've not seen it posted in this topic.

Article from Zelda Universe

Witness the film pitch of the CGI Zelda movie that never was

Here we have a video pitch for a CGI Zelda movie dating back to 2007 by Imagi Animation Studios, producers of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Astro Boyfeature films. It sees Princess Zelda transporting what is assumed to be the Triforce, when she and her soldiers are promptly attacked by Ganondorf’s minions. As you’d expect, Link appears to save the day, as does the Gerudo King himself to presumably carry out the opposite.

The visuals are very nicely animated, even if you don’t agree with the Dreamworks-esque art style. Sure, it’s a generic premise, but don’t forget that this clip was only intended to pitch the movie to Nintendo and doesn’t necessarily represent the intended final product. While I can’t really make a defense for Ganondorf’s appearance, it’s a pretty cool clip.

Ganon looks weird but I'm just wondering how they could have pulled off a Zelda movie... but I suppose we'll never know.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3

Oh yeah, I saw this earlier.

I don't like Link's design....or Zelda's.....or Ganon's.....none of them really.

But a CGI Zelda film would've been cool.

Saw this in the status updates earlier.

Considering that these guys made the notoriously awful TMNT and Astro Boy movies, and also that the art style and character design are simultaneously inappropriate and flat-out hideous, I'm honestly glad this never became a thing.

Put a Zelda movie in the hands of actually competent people and then I'll be interested.

• Thumbs Up 1

33c96hw.jpg 

SO YEAH GUYS THIS WAS ALMOST A THING

So... please forgive me if this is old news, but I've not seen it posted in this topic.

Article from Zelda Universe

Ganon looks weird but I'm just wondering how they could have pulled off a Zelda movie... but I suppose we'll never know.

Wow, Link and Zelda look like something ripped right out of a Disney film (Zelda notably looks quite similar to the character desigins from Tangled/Frozen). 

I would love a CGI Zelda film and it would be quite easy to make; take the plots of ethier Orcrena of Time/Majora's Mask and convert them to the big screen. Don't know about Majora though as the games dark nature might turn off some people, but if they would make a Zelda movie, a re-telling of one of the classic games in the series would be a great jumping point, even the Ratchet movie is doing that by basing its story from the first Ratchet game.

Its a real shame Nintendo didn't go through with the idea, as if it was successful maybe we would have seen other Nintendo icons jump to the big screen (a up-beat comedy based off of the Mario & Luigi games, a action movie based off of KI: Uprising, or even a action film with Caption Falcon :)).

Hmm... that art and animation is quite nice, but it's made by the guys who did the TMNT movie. Astro Boy was alright, though.

Probably would have been pretty okay, though I'd have watched it just for the sake of the visuals anyway - Zelda's always excelled at that. If Nintendo got on board with the art it could have been something awesome.

Shame. :c

• Thumbs Up 1

The TMNT movie was considered bad????

Not sure if serious.

After calming down a bit, yeah, now that I think about it, it's best that this never came to be, considering who would be behind it. A CGI Zelda movie however is such a tantalizing thought that you can't help but wonder what it could have been like if it were in the hands of a more competent studio.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

Uhhhhhhh, yeah, what Soniman said. This is the first I've heard of it being considered even close to infamously bad. 0_o Quite enjoyed it myself.

waitwaitwaitwaitwait

The TMNT movie was considered bad????

I'm surprised by that to; I thought it was a very solid film and I really like the turtles relations with one another (really like how Leo's voice was Ratchets voice, or how similar it sounded to it).  I guess the film didn't portray the Turtles well enough to some people; its very hard to do a great job representing brands/IP that are based off comics and have everyone like them (example: X-men Origins Wolverine was great in my option while everyone else hated it).

YouTube link for convenience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiuC-a12cvg

TMNT wasn't so much terrible as it was... just average. 

Doesn't look as impressive as I thought it would :(

Than again, this was from CGI in 2007, and if they altered the art style a bit (Gannon doesn't look menacing at all) with today's CGI tech, then it would be quite something to see a GCI Zelda :)

I honestly didn't think that Zelda CGI teaser was that bad. The only issue I had with it was the terribad Ganondorf design.

It wasn't bad, but it was very generic, I can see why it was turned down because there wasn't really anything special about it. If I know Nintendo it's that they want to go against the grain. They're not gonna accept a movie pitch from the age of CGI animation that looks like every other CGI animation.

Also I wouldn't say it was close to happening, it was a pitch, it didn't even make it past greenlight.

• Thumbs Up 5

Not that it gives us a whole lot of information, but those designs look so run-of-the-mill for CGI films. Not really a fan of what-could-have-been there.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

It looks kinda ugly. The models seem all inorganic and plasticy, and the facial expressions make it look more like a 3D Tim Buckley comic than a big Disney or Dreamworks production. 

But for what it's worth, a Zelda movie could be really cool if done right, and CG definitely seems like the way to go. Although I'd love to see something hand-drawn.

• Thumbs Up 1