Awoo.

Game Grumps

Soniman

So today, I thought maybe I'd give Game Grumps another try and watched through several of the playthroughs that I had missed after unsubscribing.

I don't see myself resubscribing anytime soon.

I just don't find Danny funny, or interesting, or entertaining. He's dull. Hell, watching through SMB3, one of my favorite games ever, I'm bored out of my mind as I don't get the chemistry between these two. There's nothing that sets them apart from each other that would make me want to continue to watch and listen to them. 

Arin like something. That's great, Danny likes it too for pretty much all of the exact same reasons! Sure, Arin and Jon enjoyed many of the same things as well, but they had different reasons and ways they judged games, which made things interesting. Especially when they toyed and were playfully antagonistic towards each other.

Here, it's just two guys playing games and talking.

• Thumbs Up 1

So today, I thought maybe I'd give Game Grumps another try and watched through several of the playthroughs that I had missed after unsubscribing.

I don't see myself resubscribing anytime soon.

I just don't find Danny funny, or interesting, or entertaining. He's dull. Hell, watching through SMB3, one of my favorite games ever, I'm bored out of my mind as I don't get the chemistry between these two. There's nothing that sets them apart from each other that would make me want to continue to watch and listen to them. 

Arin like something. That's great, Danny likes it too for pretty much all of the exact same reasons! Sure, Arin and Jon enjoyed many of the same things as well, but they had different reasons and ways they judged games, which made things interesting. Especially when they toyed and were playfully antagonistic towards each other.

I don't really see how the show with Jon was any less just two guys playing a game and talking, especially considering all the immeasurable times Jon would get so caught on a rant that he'd ignore the elephant in a room just to finish a thought.  At least Danny will usually pause from his rant to comment on something in game.

That being said, I like Danny because he offers the perspective of someone who isn't a hardcore gamer, so I can sort of relate to him in that regard.  Also, he has a positive, upbeat attitude that is just adorable.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't get why so many people hate on Danny. I like him. Is it because Jon left that they think he's so good they feel the need to harp on his replacement?

In fact, you know what it's like? It's like Blue Clues. Kids were devastated when Steve left to go to college, and found out that the show will be hosted by Joe. People liked him, but most people didn't. Exact same thing here.

Isn't that what Game Grumps was created to be?(???)

Holy geezus, why do you people try to make it MORE than what it was created to be? It's friends talking and playing games together; hell, Jon didn't think it would work because that's ALL it was supposed to be and he mentioned it several times before.

DO I HAVE TO POINT OUT THE VIDEO THEY MADE WHEN THE CHANNEL WAS CREATED?

"Basically what Game Grumps is we play games, we talk over them, we have fun and it's basically like we're all circle-jerking".

"We don't have fun, we're grumpy".

"SHET".

Anyway, fact is, why are people turning it into something like Pewdiepie where it has to be the same thing over and over again? All they're trying to do is "play games, talk over them, have fun and circle jerking".

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, perhaps I just found Jon and Arin being two guys talking more entertaining more than Danny and Arin, who are just boring. 

Isn't that what Game Grumps was created to be?(???)

Holy geezus, why do you people try to make it MORE than what it was created to be? It's friends talking and playing games together; hell, Jon didn't think it would work because that's ALL it was supposed to be and he mentioned it several times before.

DO I HAVE TO POINT OUT THE VIDEO THEY MADE WHEN THE CHANNEL WAS CREATED?

"Basically what Game Grumps is we play games, we talk over them, we have fun and it's basically like we're all circle-jerking".

"We don't have fun, we're grumpy".

"SHET".

Anyway, fact is, why are people turning it into something like Pewdiepie where it has to be the same thing over and over again? All they're trying to do is "play games, talk over them, have fun and circle jerking".

I'm pretty sure he means that their interactions lack conflict and chemistry, which is what drives a good conversation.  It's not an unreasonable request that they have their fair share of differences to make the show more entertaining, although I disagree that the new lineup lacks that for the reasons I stated in my previous post.  But I do see where he's coming from.  It's like Siskel and Ebert.  If the two just agreed on everything, it would grow stale pretty quickly.

EDIT - Aaaaaaaaand ninja'd.

Edited by Spooky Akita
  • Thumbs Up 1

Conflict? Steam Train certainly has a lot of that. Jon was often grumpier than Arin was and a lot of the time the two would come to an agreement anyway with the classic example being Jon saying how bad a game is then Arin saying it wasn't that bad and then Jon coming to that agreement that it wasn't that bad actually.

Danny is definitely not so grump and I would kill to have his energy. The guy works 7 days a week with the weekdays being 9-5 and still manages to find the energy for Game Grumps and manages to be happy (and put up with Ross).

Almost forgot, but the main reason I came to the thread was for this, which is all the AMA questions compiled into one video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZASG0XsJR0

(Before trying to look through the video for the answer, no they won't finish Sonic 06 because 'it wouldn't feel right without Jon' and 'there wasn't much else that could be said about the game even if they continued it'.)

A-rin Han-son! He's a Gruuuuuuuuuuuump! Gonna give Danny's head some new luuuuuuuuuuuuumps!

I've never felt such passionate sympathy for anyone in my life as I did when I heard they were Arin and Danny were subjecting themselves to Captain Planet.  I anticipate a brief hiatus so they can be treated with the therapy they most undoubtedly need right now.

So did they really give up on Batman or are they just taking a break?  I don't want them to fall into the pit that they often fell into with Jon, where they'd leave a game after only four episodes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's the video.

I'm definitely loving this since it's a sub series about Monster Hunter. A damn good series.

I laughed so hard watching Barry getting the final, and brutal hit on the Qurupeco, and everyone is immediately trolled by a Rathian at the end. Freaking beautiful.

• Thumbs Up 1

Frankenraptor and BLEHnny have a nice day at HorrorLand in the first of several Ghoul Grumps Halloween specials!

Then, Rots and Deadly steer the Scream Train into Cthulhu's neighborhood.

Edited by CC14 the Franken Frog

Bowser is served at the end of the Grumps' third completed Mario adventure.

Edited by CC14 the Fifth Turtle

Wolfy has already said to stop it with the video-only posts so if you could please refrain from doing so that would be great, otherwise if people want to watch the videos they can just go on their channel listing.

Like seriously these posts contribute nothing to discussion so there's no reason to make them.

I'm hoping with 3 out of the way that Super Mario World isn't too far off in the future of Game Grumps.

EDIT:

Called it, even though it wasn't really that much of a surprise.  Man, every time I watch anything related to SMW, I go full nostalgia mode.  I remember the Xmas I got my SNES with SMW and it was a glorious holiday weekend for me.  I didn't stop until I beat that darn game.

And it just blows my mind to this day how innovative the game was.  Easily my favorite Mario game and in my TOP 10 game of all time... possibly even TOP 5.  This is going to be a fun playthrough to watch.

Edited by Snatcher2047

I’ve nearly finished watching everything of old Grumps (sans Mario Party 8 since I haven’t played that yet and want to one day).  I DO want to give just one more shot for new Grumps to endear me though.  Can anyone who still watches recommend to me what probably their best/funniest playthrough has been so far?  The Goof Troop of New Grumps, if you will.

I remember even Old Grumps I just didn’t get the appeal of when I would watch animations and such and then after getting to know them through Sonic 2006 I went back and watched all the other stuff and was like “okay I can actually see why this was so funny in context now”.  I’m hoping MAYBE just maybe I can get that again from New Grumps.  But if not I’ll just stop watching and call it a day.

(I do plan to continue watching Steam Rolled and hijacked Steam Train though because it’s just Danny that I can’t gel with for some reason).

Uhh… so TL;DR, what’s the funniest series so far of Danny and Arin Grumps, in your or general opinion?