Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

^ Lol, I noticed. But Sun Fair is a lot of fun, it's among my favorite tracks. But all the Samba tracks aren't altered, we still have Jump Parade on DS.

While it's certainly very close to the hi-def one in style, it's still a totally different layout.

In fact, from my own memory, all the Samba tracks, all the JSRF tracks, and Super Monkey Ball's Treetops all have totally unique layouts.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Lol, I noticed. But Sun Fair is a lot of fun, it's among my favorite tracks. But all the Samba tracks aren't altered, we still have Jump Parade on DS.

I noticed the tracks were different immediately but I never really noticed the pics for them at the track select screen were of the home console versions. We should sue Sumo Digital for false advertising if only so we can make TSSZ News headlines :lol: Just watch, Tristan will read our posts here and there will be an article on his site in the morning about the track select menu pics being different to the actual tracks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ops-Opa rules and is my favourite character in the game. That is all.

Also best kart game in a looooong time.

topic moved from Upcoming to Sonic discussion something something

I noticed the tracks were different immediately but I never really noticed the pics for them at the track select screen were of the home console versions. We should sue Sumo Digital for false advertising if only so we can make TSSZ News headlines :lol: Just watch, Tristan will read our posts here and there will be an article on his site in the morning about the track select menu pics being different to the actual tracks.

First @ SSMB :P

On a serious note, the tracks that got changed on the DS were down to two reasons. First the next gen JSR tracks just couldn't be done as we didn't have enough polys to do them (especially the big jump on the first JSR track!) so they're different layouts. If you want to know something real interesting, the easy one on DS is actually based off the protoype JSR stage we made near the start of the project. I've got some PS3 footage of that I might release some day :P

The Samba tracks actually underwent a late revision on the rest of the platforms, with only the rooftops track making it into the final game. That's why on the Wii version the expert map is wrong, it was a mistake - it's actually the right map for the original track. By the time it was noticed, it had gone to pressing. Bah. The DS couldn't be altered in time - as you have to send it much earlier to hit the same street date - and again even if we'd had time, you likely wouldn't be able to do the console tracks on there due to lack of polys :P

In some ways the DS is closer to the original design of the game - simply as it had to be done in a compressed time-frame. So it's interesting to do a compare between that and the next-gen's to see the game design changes :P

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 2

Crazy (or not so crazy) thought:

Is it possible for SASAR to receive a update for 360 Natal/PS3 Move support? Watching the natal driving demo got me to wondering if this is possible. To be Natal supported would give a HUGE boost to the game's lifespan. Foot forward = gas, foot back = breaks, hands in front = wheel, hands in air = ASM/weapon. Just a thought.

Crazy (or not so crazy) thought:

Is it possible for SASAR to receive a update for 360 Natal/PS3 Move support? Watching the natal driving demo got me to wondering if this is possible. To be Natal supported would give a HUGE boost to the game's lifespan. Foot forward = gas, foot back = breaks, hands in front = wheel, hands in air = ASM/weapon. Just a thought.

If SEGA ask, I'm sure we'd look at it. I'm not going to promise it mind!

---

S0L

---

First @ SSMB :P

On a serious note, the tracks that got changed on the DS were down to two reasons. First the next gen JSR tracks just couldn't be done as we didn't have enough polys to do them (especially the big jump on the first JSR track!) so they're different layouts. If you want to know something real interesting, the easy one on DS is actually based off the protoype JSR stage we made near the start of the project. I've got some PS3 footage of that I might release some day :P

The Samba tracks actually underwent a late revision on the rest of the platforms, with only the rooftops track making it into the final game. That's why on the Wii version the expert map is wrong, it was a mistake - it's actually the right map for the original track. By the time it was noticed, it had gone to pressing. Bah. The DS couldn't be altered in time - as you have to send it much earlier to hit the same street date - and again even if we'd had time, you likely wouldn't be able to do the console tracks on there due to lack of polys :P

In some ways the DS is closer to the original design of the game - simply as it had to be done in a compressed time-frame. So it's interesting to do a compare between that and the next-gen's to see the game design changes :P

---

S0L

---

Oooh, lovely to know. I really enjoy hearing about the process of scaling stuff down I have to say, dunno why. Half the reason I got the DS version is simply to see how the big beautiful tracks translated to the small screen (since I had to go to Uni on release day, I actually experienced the first two cups on the DS version anyway, which made the PS3 version be like "VWOOMPH" versions of what I'd just played, which was awesome XD).

Now that you've said this it explains why the first JSRF track feels so simple on DS. Makes sense that it started life as a prototype track.

Is there any particularly fascinating story about the different layout for Treetops? The visuals came out really nice and faithful on the DS so I was surprised when it suddenly occured to me that it had been redone (there better be a good reason - I just this minute have realised the two different versions are why are still crash into walls and get confused on this course constantly! XD *shakes fist*)

For those of you who hate the Sandy Drifts track.. you know about the shortcut you can take to make those turns a lot less annoying, right?

All you have to do is make the first turn, and instead of going straight into the second platform aim for the.. corner(?) of the next turn. If you get it right, you'll jump past the second platform through the little hole and onto the third and skip the entire second turn. You can repeat this for the turns just like it right before the finish line. I tried searching for a video on how to do it, but I couldn't find one. Haha. Maybe I'll just make it myself?

So yeah, if you were wondering how people get those stupidly fast Time Trails on that stage, now you know.

COME ON VECTORMAN!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S SEE THAT DLC ALREADY!!!!!!!!

HYPER MODE

Amen to that!

Though I still want Sketch Turner a bit more

For those of you who hate the Sandy Drifts track.. you know about the shortcut you can take to make those turns a lot less annoying, right?

All you have to do is make the first turn, and instead of going straight into the second platform aim for the.. corner(?) of the next turn. If you get it right, you'll jump past the second platform through the little hole and onto the third and skip the entire second turn. You can repeat this for the turns just like it right before the finish line. I tried searching for a video on how to do it, but I couldn't find one. Haha. Maybe I'll just make it myself?

So yeah, if you were wondering how people get those stupidly fast Time Trails on that stage, now you know.

First time I ever played on the track I Accidentally did that... didn't even see the gap, but made it. lol

If SEGA ask, I'm sure we'd look at it. I'm not going to promise it mind!

---

S0L

---

Cool to know that were Sega to mention it, you'd be willing to look into it. :) I have a feeling that with the Natal will come a bevy of Natal updates for older 360 games. I wouldn't be surprised to see, at the very least least, menu navigation and simple voice commands in most games. Perhaps driving games will be the first to adapt the natal, considering we've already seen it implemented in Burnout 3 and that came out in 2008!

It maaaaay not be possible, but then again that was back in September:

http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-09-patching-older-360-games-to-work-with-natal-not-possible-149867.phtml

Edited by Doctor Eggman

S0L!!!!! Let's see some Daytona USA tracks!!!!!

Amen to this as well. :P

A few days ago I was playing online and when the race was finished the announcer didn't just say who placed first, but second and third too. I remember AiAi came second and the announcer said "AiAi was close, but no banana" or something like that...can't remember what he said for whoever got third. Has this happened to anyone else? For me it's only happened that one time.

Edited by Captain THPS4

Cubed3 give the DS version a 7/10 -

http://www.cubed3.com/review/818/

EDIT:

Tristan's really milking the ASR fan-art thing, just noticed his latest poll is

@Issue Poll

Do you think Sumo Digital handled the discovery of lifted fan work in ASR well?

- Yes

- No, not enough was done

- No, it should have never happened in the first place

- Unsure

Tristan is just sick, he knows Sumo handled it better than any games developer would and RianaLD was very happy with it. The guys at Sumo gave her a well written apology, they're removing it from the PC version and SEGA even helped out by giving her some goodies.

Aww bless, I guess the polls keep him busy whilst he waits for the sales figures :)

The DS Treetops question is actually a good one. Whilst on the face of it, the course differs significantly, it's mostly as the DS version runs the right way around...

"What, eh? Right way? Are you sure S0L?" I hear you cry!

Well yes, the track is pretty similar to the next gen one aside from the running direction. On the next-gen, SEGA were concerned the track was to difficult, we did a quick test and found it was easier to go the other way around, provided we swapped the drop off's at the end, to a ramp at the start. A question of how you can read the track. It wasn't the same case on the DS of course, as the reduction in poly's mean you can see the track clearer.

Going back to DLC, not much longer to wait, can't give you a definate date - but it'll be soon :)

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I know why Ratchet wasn't in the PS3 version of this game..

He's in ModNation Racers, hahaha!

S0L, can we now say why there was no Sony characters in the PS3 version? Although I think everyone more or less has guessed the right reason now anyway.

I think it's a combination between Mod NationRacers and Uncharted 2. A lot of the Sony characters appeared in uncharted 2 as DLC a few days before ASR's release.

It's bad timing really isn't it? I bet if this was a 2009 release or even October 2009 chances are there would be Sony characters in the PS3 version. Oh well, theres always the hope for late DLC, who knows maybe if they won't allow for active characters, maybe retired/on hold ones, like Twisted Metal, or Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012... owww or Vigilante 8! Then you'd really have 1970's trousers!

I've been wanting to ask S0L why the Avatar has girlie animations when it's a male.

Yeah me too, also the Avatar does one of MJ poses (may he R.I.P)

I also have have a question for S0L too. In Bingo Party where you go through that Eggman billboard, is that a reference to the PINGAS joke? If it is, then you guys at Sumo are epic.

And Sakura Shinguji for DLC, because we need more females in the game.