Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

Possibly to make things consistent across all platforms? The avatar isn't a CPU for the same reason I'm sure.

Avatars and Miis not being CPUs is standard in any game (bar Wii Sports and other Mii only games). Why Banjo isn't there I don't understand.

Wait UK has Teletext? Hmm.. That reminds me that I should check if and german Channels have a test of this game on their Teletext :/. I'm guessing Prosieben has it...

Also, was the M!Games (A german Magazine) score said here? I'm going to buy it in the next few days, so if not, I'll post it one I get it!

http://bit.ly/97WYA8

There. Someone had to do it. It happened to be me. The madness must end.

I liked Double Dash :/. I had alot of fun playing coop mode with my cousin.. I liked it more than Mario Kart Wii... I don'T know why I'm one of the only people who liked it...

Edited by MarcelloF

http://bit.ly/97WYA8

There. Someone had to do it. It happened to be me. The madness must end.

Great review Dread :D

Conclusion

As Mario Kart has become more and more underwhelming over the last ten years – Sumo Digital's effort picks up the sunshine and addictive gameplay where Mario left off in his N64 heyday and improves upon it. And excellent addition to Kart gaming for all.

SPOnG Score: 86%

Is that a typo? :huh: I expect better from you Dread, for shame! Only kidding :lol:

I'll say it again, awesome review :)

I liked Double Dash :/. I had alot of fun playing coop mode with my cousin.. I liked it more than Mario Kart Wii... I don'T know why I'm one of the only people who liked it...

You're not alone! It's my favourite Mario Kart. The CPU was too fair in MKWii (you heard me right - they may cheat in the old games, but in this one they get powerful items just as often as a human would - that's why there's so many) and DS wasn't quite chaotic enough like Double Dash is, felt kinda dead. Both are still great but, for me Double Dash is the best. SNES, GBA and N64 are okay. I mostly play them for nostalgia though.

As a Mario Kart lover, I'd say this game is about equal with Double Dash to me. Both superb games. I will agree that this is better than MK Wii, just slightly.

Heh, the Blue Shell alone is game breaking for Mario Kart, it also lacks any logic what-so-ever.

You'll only ever get it between 5th to last place, which makes it utterly useless because at that point you don't give a shit what the leader is upto and the explosion it causes is RIDICULOUS, good luck not losing your position after being hit with one of those, plus it's near impossible to avoid.

At least in MK64 it hit EVERYONE in front of you.

I'm so glad ASR stayed well clear of an imitation.

I FINALLY got the Wii version today! xD

Gonna play it soon. ;3

I'm having fun owning the DS leaderboards atm wif ma racin' skillz. :P

Edited by PMario64

Heh, the Blue Shell alone is game breaking for Mario Kart, it also lacks any logic what-so-ever.

You'll only ever get it between 5th to last place, which makes it utterly useless because at that point you don't give a shit what the leader is upto and the explosion it causes is RIDICULOUS, good luck not losing your position after being hit with one of those, plus it's near impossible to avoid.

The Big Rocket = Blue shell from MK64 with Manual Detonation.

Though unlike the Blue Shell it's really rare from what I've seen.

Edited by Veritech Guardian

Quite rare, yes. When I've been lagging, I've gotten either the Big Rocket or an All-Star Move, pretty much 50/50.

Guess which one I prefer?! :D

Big Rocket you can avoid, get an ample warning and has a limit on how far it moves.

Well, the big remote missle zips down the middle of the track and doesn't home in on players, so one could outrun it or take a shortcut and be free of it. I usually just hit the side of the track or try hitting it with a horn or boxing glove (I assume this works as I haven't been hit when doing so)

Though still a little unresponsive, doing wheelies in S&SASR Wii is the same as MKWii.

Lots of people have been reporting problems with this achievement, and I think that it's because some of the characters are very specific when it comes to what counts as a "hit". Some of the ones that aren't immediately obvious:

* Amigo: you must get at least one other racer to follow you. This won't happen if you're a lap behind the rest of the pack, which might be the case if you've stayed behind to hunt for the All-Star item.

* Knuckles: you need to charge his shockwave and release it, not just blast through people like Sonic.

* Shadow: I've had conflicting reports - some people say only hitting people with the Chaos Spears count, but others say only blasting through people counts. I've just gotten credit for it by blasting through people, so either the latter is correct, or they both work. Do both, just to be sure!

Many of the initial achievement problems (like with Ghost Master, which has been giving people trouble) should have been fixed with the day-one patch - obviously, if you're not online, you wouldn't have got it, hence why some people have problems and others are fine. If you're still having problems, don't worry - another patch is in the works, and it should (hopefully) fix remaining issues.

It is definitely not a matter of hitting my enemies the right way. I've already had troubles with all three of the characters you mentioned, but after a second or third attempt, I managed to get the credit for their All-star moves. I know for a fact that my final character is either the Bonanza Bros or Alex Kidd, and I've spent about two hours just on using their All-star moves and trying to unlock the damn Achievement. I've tried hitting people with bombs AND steering into them at the end of the Bonanza Bros All-star move (running into enemies with the car in its last moment of boosting doesn't do any damage), and as Alex Kidd, I've shelled the hell out of opposing racers and rammed into plenty as well (the hit detection for colliding into opposing racers with the chopper is REALLY sketchy). I've reached the conclusion that: A) My Achievement has glitched, just like the Working Man one, or B) I am very unlucky and somehow haven't "taken out" an enemy with one of their All-star moves the "right" way, despite hours of effort poured into the Achievement.

Speaking of the Working Man Achievement, I've noticed something rather odd about it. I decided to try for it again, hoping it would show in-game that I earned the Achievement, and what do you know, it worked. I was quite happy, but later that day, I turned my 360 off, then booted it back up to find that my credit for obtaining the Working Man Achievement was no longer displayed. It reverted back to the "discover this Achievement" message, and my counter for unlocking all Achievements reads 37/49, despite me having 38. This is VERY frustrating stuff indeed.

The more I play this, the more I realise just how annoying Mario Kart Wii could be. Being hit by items in SASASR is frustrating, sure, but you're only out for a second or two and the sense of speed is never lost. In MKWii, you'd be constantly bombared by blue shells, red shells and POW blocks... often in quick succession.

Call the items "uninspired" if you will, but at least it feels like Mario Kart done right in that respect.

Sumo Digital do what Nintendon't :P

I don't know, man. Since there's no blue spiny shell equivalent, I'm starting to understand the existence of it in Mario Kart now. No one would be able to catch up to first if they were smacking each other with items trying to fight over second, which happens in ASR. Granted, I think the Blue Spiny Shell should return to the way it was in Mario Kart 64. Hit EVERYONE on the way up to first, yes. At least have something like the Lightning to equalize, man.

Anyway, I'm going to be a Nintenfag and say I still prefer Double Dash, Mario Kart DS, and even the dreaded Mario Kart Wii to this. I don't know, maybe it's because I was so good that blue shells didn't mean shit in Mario Kart Wii. Or maybe I like actually having a chance of losing every once in a while.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

I don't know, man. Since there's no blue spiny shell equivalent, I'm starting to understand the existence of it in Mario Kart now. No one would be able to catch up to first if they were smacking each other with items trying to fight over second, which happens in ASR. Granted, I think the Blue Spiny Shell should return to the way it was in Mario Kart 64. Hit EVERYONE on the way up to first, yes.

Anyway, I'm going to be a Nintenfag and say I still prefer Double Dash, Mario Kart DS, and even the dreaded Mario Kart Wii to this. I don't know, maybe it's because I was so good that blue shells didn't mean shit in Mario Kart Wii. Or maybe I like actually having a chance of losing every once in a while.

Except they never did on purpose. They only ever did that by chance. The shell would follow a set path along the course, which may or may not have intercepted other racers.

Edited by Blue Blood

Got the game yesterday and have been playing it for quite a bit. I have almost all of the characters and tracks right about now.

The game is great. Definitely a blast to play online and offline (even though I only got to play online once before this Error 8001050F bullshit happened). My only real issue is the lack of franchise representation in terms of tracks and music.

tl;dr Mario Kart 64 > Crash Team Racing > Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing = Crash Nitro Kart > Mario Kart Wii. Not a bad effort at all.

Though still a little unresponsive, doing wheelies in S&SASR Wii is the same as MKWii.

What, just shake the remote?

Bikes need to loose the ability to gain extra boosts. It gives them an unfair advantage both here and in MKW.

RGamer2009 at Retro brought this up-

And the original if you've never heard it before.

EDIT: Whoopsie wrong link.

Edited by Blue Blood

The more I play this, the more I realise just how annoying Mario Kart Wii could be. Being hit by items in SASASR is frustrating, sure, but you're only out for a second or two and the sense of speed is never lost. In MKWii, you'd be constantly bombared by blue shells, red shells and POW blocks... often in quick succession.

Call the items "uninspired" if you will, but at least it feels like Mario Kart done right in that respect.

Sumo Digital do what Nintendon't :P

The sense of speed can be lost entirely if you're cruising along in first place, there's a huge pack of people behind you and you get hit by a missile, knocking you to dead last.

It's happened to me before.

Why hasn't Metacritic put up GamesRadar's review, but instead they put up Teletext-whatever's review?

I already sent the GamesRadar review to them, but they will not put it up! The game needs that review to be in the green!

This game is fantastic, I just finished Mission Mode yesterday! The Egg Hammer boss battle was awesome - I was particularly fond of the abundance of Egg Pawns.

That being said, I do think this game needs a few more glitch-fixing patches. I've had the game freeze up on me a few times, and in one odd instance Eggman's tires didn't reappear after finishing his All-Star Move (yet all of the springy mechanical parts that connect the tires to the frame did :blink: ). Overall it's an awesome game though, and I can't wait for DLC!

*crosses fingers for Jeep driver from Borderline*

Edited by HunterTSF