Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

Can you imagine Curien Mansion with the rain? or Seaside Hill with the snow??? Of course these changing would compromise the terrain, so that means more fun :)

Wouldn't that go a long way to unbalancing the flying characters? They already have the advantage of not being hindered by the terrain, but if we start slowing down the other characters with snow and ice in every stage, than the flying carts will be all but unstoppable.

If we try to balance that out by slowing down the fliers with winds, than we lose their only advantage (immunity to terrain), and render them kinda useless.

I would love to see the time and effort put into a weather system (a good throwback to Sonic R imo) but I also feel that making it anything more than aesthetic could really damage the balance.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Yeah it's a marketing thing in the US. Because believe it or not family games are becoming a rarity, particularly on the 360. Parents need more assitence in picking out games that are family friendly out of the flood of M rated games that we've been getting in recent months.

Isn't the E rating enough?

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly, the ratings tell parents that it a kid friendly game. The "Family Games" logo is excessive. M rated games don't have a massive "Killy Games" logo.

I think it's the 360 making an attempt to compete with the Wii's library of family fun-time games.

I think it's the 360 making an attempt to compete with the Wii's library of family fun-time games.

In case anyone needed confirmation that the 360 is desperately seeking a family-friendly audience...

...Because Rock Band with your Parents is the BEST. This bundle pretty successfully drives the concept home, too:

3039644558_8f98bbf4e0_o.png

Edited by bro-botnik

PSX Extreme preview

Over the years we've seen Sonic do a number of odd and embarrassing games that simply didn't work for Sega's mascot. Sonic R was a commercial failure. Sonic Drift. Sonic Drift 2. Sonic Spinball. Sonic Riders. Sonic Riders: Zero. Mario and Sonic. And the list goes on. Sega has exploited their little hedgehog as much as they possibly could, across virtually every genre they possible could, including RPGs. Well, they've taken a step back to familiar territory and bringing us another racer. This time, it's a more traditional kart racer and it includes not just the Sonic gang, but a bunch of Sega's A-listers too.

For starters, 20 different characters populate the game, including Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, AiAi, Amigo, Dr. Eggman (Dr. Robotnik), Amy Rose, Shadow, Big the Cat, Beat (Jet Set Radio), Alex Kidd, Billy Hatcher, Zobio and Zobiko (House of the Dead EX), and even Shenmue's Ryo Hazuki. Each and every character gets his/her own unique mode of transportation that's split up into different classes: racing, off-road, bike, hovercraft. In addition to that, characters can activate special All Star moves. All Star moves transform a character's ability when he/she has fallen behind in a race. For example, Sonic abandons his car and begins racing on foot as Super Sonic. AiAi the monkey rides around in his signature monkey ball, Ryo rides a forklift, Tails has his plane and so forth.

The game's 24 tracks are designed with handicaps in mind, so as terrain varies so will the performance of your chosen machine, which is a nice touch for a kart racer. Pickups will be scattered all across the tracks, such as missiles, mines, speed boost, and other things. Up to four players can play via split-screen, but eight can go online and participate. Game modes are Grand Prix, Arcade, and Time Attack...the standard affair, but there should be options to tweak the experience.

I have to say that when I saw the game running at a recent Sony event in NYC, I was impressed by the visuals. It's actually a pretty good looking game, with clean textures, and smooth lines. It's colorful tone also adds a lot of charm to the overall look of the game, as you'd expect. You'll race through recognizable locales ranging from a variety of Sega games.

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is expected to arrive at the end of February. From what I've seen of the game so far, it's looking decent. If you're looking for a fun kart racer, this may fit your need. Keep your eyes peeled for the reviews.

Link

EDIT:

Argos now have the UK box arts on display, no Banjo and a changed release date from March 26th to Feb 19th

208-9240751SPA73UC629190M.jpg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5736881/Trail/searchtext%3ESONIC+%26+SEGA+ALL+STARS+RACING.htm

208-9240524SPA73UC629173M.jpg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5736757/Trail/searchtext%3ESONIC+%26+SEGA+ALL+STARS+RACING.htm

208-9241169SPA73UC628957M.jpg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5736908/Trail/searchtext%3ESONIC+%26+SEGA+ALL+STARS+RACING.htm

208-9241255SPA73UC628967M.jpg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5736946/Trail/searchtext%3ESONIC+%26+SEGA+ALL+STARS+RACING.htm

I honestly think Banjo wont end up on the front of the box and it was simply a mock-up. It'd be silly to stick the characters and 'with Banjo & Kazooie!' on the front of the packaging when one, you need to pay extra for them and two, you need an Internet connection to do just that. It's highly misleading and quite unprofessional in my opinion. There's no big problem with it being included on the rear mind you!

Edited by bolt7

Or, Bolt, they aren't DLC. This was likely confirmed internally months ago and we're just learning of it now.

That's a really cluttered look with Banjo and Kazooie on there. I'm not a graphic designer or anything, but it's like the original logo was made just large enough to notice and still leave room for the picture. A second logo makes it messy. It's funny how Tails is just elbowed out of the shot to make room. The Banjo shot is also zoomed in on if you pay attention to the front of Sonic's car. I guess so Eggman isn't cut off the top. Anyways, hope the reveal grabs up those Xbox users.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

Just noticed that UK DS box art doesn't have the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection logo that the leaked U.S. box art does.

Just posted up my TSS article on this -

http://sonicstadium.org/news/argos-displays-uk-asr-box-arts-uk-release-feb-19th

EDIT:

Also just noticed that UK PS3 box contains both the old left side Playstation 3 logo and the new top PS3 logo. Odd :huh:

Or, Bolt, they aren't DLC. This was likely confirmed internally months ago and we're just learning of it now.

Yeah, you could well be right. It did say they were DLC on that box that was posted online a while back though- and I believe the front cover was the same as the one we're presented with on the Argos website. They could've changed it though- but yeah, I doubt we'll be seeing them stay on the front of the box.

I don't know if this was confirmed a while back or not, but does anyone know if each character is going to have their own specific stats?

I understand that the characters are going to be spit into the four classes, but is that as far as the depth goes when choosing a character? Just curious.

I don't know if this was confirmed a while back or not, but does anyone know if each character is going to have their own specific stats?

I understand that the characters are going to be spit into the four classes, but is that as far as the depth goes when choosing a character? Just curious.

I'm pretty sure it was specified that they'd all have their own unique stats, but I don't remember any mention that the characters were split into four classes.

As for the boxes, they're most likely mock-ups which may be why the PS3 box has the old PS3 logo on the side.

Yeah, you could well be right. It did say they were DLC on that box that was posted online a while back though- and I believe the front cover was the same as the one we're presented with on the Argos website. They could've changed it though- but yeah, I doubt we'll be seeing them stay on the front of the box.

It never said anything about Banjo-Kazooie being DLC. Where are you pulling these things out of? Your ass butt?

It never said anything about Banjo-Kazooie being DLC. Where are you pulling these things out of? Your ass butt?

SSASR-Xbox-360-box-art.jpg

I think bolt7 is pointing to the small bit of text in the Banjo-Kazooie pic where it looks like it might say something along the lines of those characters being DLC. It's hard to make out, the only part really legible is Xbox 360 at the end.

To me it looks like it says "____ characters exclusive to Xbox 360." Can't make out the first word, looks a bit like 'Banjo'

Unless he's referring to the text in those circles which I can't make out myself.

EDIT:

I've just thought, that particular leaked box art from the SEGA Europe designer matches the UK box art on Argos's website. So we could very likely not have a Banjo Kazooie enfused Xbox 360 cover in Europe but instead have those characters on the back instead. We'll have to see how things develop in both regions.

You could always look to each characters ASM. I am sure some will be better than others.

I also get the feeling that we will get Brawl like levels of dominance out of Super Sonic.

^Hey Shad, that's what I was thinking.

The North American gamers get the "better" boxart yet again.

Box arts often vary between regions especially with the U.S. and Europe. Sumo Digital are a UK developer and Sonic sells well in the UK on his own so I'm guessing they might have chosen to put Banjo-Kazooie on the U.S. box cover in an effort to try and help sales.

If they don't do that they could always try what Nintendo do and put angry frowns on the characters in the U.S. box art and happy smiles on the EU box art like with the Kirby and Zelda box arts :lol: That's just crazy.

Yeah, sorry, my mistake. I thought I read somewhere that the text said they were Xbox exclusive DLC, there's been news/discussions regarding this artwork all over the place. If it wasn't just me thinking it, it was probably some incorrect information hanging about somewhere. XD I hope your theory is right, Shadz, it seems pretty damn sound to me!

Where are you pulling these things out of? Your ass butt?

Well don't you seem like a delightfully pleasant member of this community, smart arse. 8/

Edited by bolt7

Yea i actually thought it was weird to see the name of the game stretch even more with banjo kazooie added. I like the europe box-art. But I also like the strategie to sell more in the US.

As long the game is good and sells well its fine by me. Even a sequal could be possible after. More SEGA STUFF JEJJJ!!

The game's 24 tracks

=3 We may have heard that number before but nice to get confirmation. Though still unsure if that includes unlockables or not (assumes it does)

Interesting link to keep watch on. Seems the European Playstation site has had some tweaks done to its game product pages, one of which is the ability to view game manuals. The Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing product page has a link there but at the moment all it does is load the product page again.

http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/games/detail/item246440/Sonic-SEGA-All-Stars-Racing/

I hope the Wii and the PS3 also get exclusive characters. SEGA would be big assholes if they let only Microsoft do that. (Still, putting mario on a Mario Kart Rip-off feels kind of weird...)

also, I wonder if the 360 will have a Banjo stage. (Brawl did that with Snake and Sonic, why not this game?)

Xbox360Achievements.org have set up a section for this game and are displaying that leaked U.S. box art -

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/sonic-and-sega-all-stars-racing/overview/

I reckon as we're getting closer to release we'll see the Achievements/Tophies hit the net soon. Bioshock 2's were revealed yesterday so it's very possible.