Awoo.

The Amazing Spider Man (Comic Series)

Soniman

I told my brother about this, and we just sort of laughed for some ten minutes, because what the crap is this?

My only condolence is that Marvel can't maim Peter Parker any more.

I really hope they don't take that as a challenge.

• Thumbs Up 2

Never thought I'd be happy about One More Day. But I really am. Since it completely killed my interest in the Spiderman comics this terrible ending doesn't bother me one bit. The real Spiderman died the day he decided that Great Power does NOT equal Great Responsibility, so it's a-okay to ass-pull everything with devil magic. Everything past that point is just fanfiction to me, and that stuff's too silly to take seriously.

• Thumbs Up 3

To put my anger simply, the current writers lack balance, Stan wanted a balanced character, this last issue is majorly imbalanced thus many will not like it.

I'll think I'll read up on the Avengers vs. X-men. To those who read that, was it good?
No. Go read Indestructible Hulk instead, it's good so far.

And people seriously think the New 52 is shit?

If you've known how badly the writers have been treated because of the New 52 you'd understand why,

Edited by BeelzeBummer

I wouldn't know much about New 52 other than Batgirl being pretty good, Green Lantern being Islamic descent, and Red Hood and the Outlaws is fucking horrible. I suspect that the last one and the handling of the characters in it is why people hate New 52 so much.

Lol, what the hell?

I used to read back during the Clone Saga, and I found myself enjoying that - it left us with Kaine (pretty cool guy) and resurrected Osborn in the end who had been gone for like decades. Even if it went on for too long it wasn't terrible.

One More Day seemed like a reboot they're not even trying to pretend is something else. I didn't read any of it.

I saw some comics with the anti-Venom (nice concept I guess) and Black Tarantula in an expanded role or whatever, I didn't think things were so bad in Spideyland. That was a few years ago. So the fuck is this about body swapping?

Edited by American Ristar

So I read it, and I'm flabbergasted. That ending was so ridiculously shoe horned, and I seriously can't believe this was the plan following the fixing of the series after One More Day.

• Thumbs Up 1

This was a stupid Idea, and yet I feel like I shouldn't be surprised after the crap that was One More Day...

My Dad, who grew up reading the Amazing Spider-man, was not happy to hear about this news, calling it "The stupidest thing he has ever heard." He'd probably be using more foul language if it were in his nature, I'm sure. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

My response to this whole Superior Spider-Man bullshit is this; I'm going to stop reading Spider Man...

...untill Peter Parker comes back. Which he will. It's only a matter of how long Marvel is going to drag out this Doc Ock-is-new-Spidey-retardedness. I'm hoping it wont be more than two years or so, but who knows. Either way though, Pete is eventually going to return and this whole mess is one going to be looked back on as yet another one of Spider Man's dork ages.

Edited by batson

Turbo's back for his monthly Spider-man comic review.</p>

Now I mentioned just how awesome Ultimate Spider-man is, but I did not give much attention to Miles Morales before because his story was really just beginning. I mean, sure, I think Miles' story was 13 issues in when I wrote about it, but if you know anything about Brian Bendis pacing, you'd know that 12 issues is merely a week in and the the cast is starting to flesh out, Miles is starting to maintain a feel about who he is as a character, and his rogues gallery is starting to differentiate from Peter's.

First thing is first, this is how you kill Peter Parker.

So who is Miles Morales?
Miles is Spider-man without the oddities. I say oddities such as Peter being an orphan, being super intelligent(at one point, he walked out of class saying that he could teach it better than the teacher), or his entire origin being centered around his lack of inaction that led to the death of Uncle Ben. Why is Miles Spider-man? He was bit by a spider that his thief Uncle coincidentally stole from Oscorp unknowingly, realized that Peter,who was alive at the time, experienced the same thing, tried with much encouragement from his best friend, Ganke, to do the Super hero thing and was scared shitless so he decided to let Peter be Spider-man while he lived out his life as a student. Then, Spider-man died. Miles feels that if he went out and contacted Peter or at least tried to help him, Peter would still be alive. Now he feels that it was his destiny to be Spider-man and is trying to live up to Peter's example to do the right thing.

Okay, that was a mouthful. Look at what that says about the character, Miles Morales. It says that he is timid(he did not want to be Spider-man and is reasonable scared that he might die). He has parents who are involved in his life. Miles is a shit ton more relate able than Peter since he is not doing this in spite of himself. He is doing this because he was inspired by Spider-man's example to do something selfless. Just like a comic book reader would be if they had the similar circumstances. He is that damn good as a character.

I like quoting myself. I explained who he is, but I did not get into the nitty gritty details about the character because...well...read the fucking book, but today, I feel like I didn't do him much justice. As I type this, Ultimate Comics: All-New Spider-man #19 was released yesterday so he is approaching his 20th issue fast and this calls for celebration. Let's start from the beginning. First, I'd like to tell you a secret.

This comic book series makes my dick rock hard

The first issue begins a year before Peter's death where you meet Ben Reilly(different Ben Reilly who is not a clone and created the spiders that made Peter Spider-man) and Norman Osborne obsessing over trying to recreate the formula. You notice that they are holding a spider with a number 42 on it(Jackie Robinson's number). If you followed Ultimate Spider-man prior to Miles, then I don't need to tell you what happened to Osborne. Anyways, later on, a thief who later turns out to be Ultimate Prowler(Just call him Prowler) comes to rob Oscorp. He accidentally steals the genetically enhanced Spider during his corporate raiding without knowing.

Miles Morales is a kid raised by Rio Morales and Jefferson Morales in Brooklyn. Right there should tell you something because Rio kept her maiden name while Jefferson changed his for reasons I'll explain later. Also, Peter Parker really doesn't travel to Brooklyn for some fucking reason. No, I'm serious. He only goes to Queens(he lives there), maybe Liberty Island, and Manhattan. So right off the back, you get a different setting for this Spider-man. A more urban setting. So in the very first issue of Miles Morales setting, he does not have superpowers nor does he gain them immediately. Brian Bendis loves to set characters up thoroughly before anything actually happens. He wants you to know the character. Miles Morales was dragged to a lottery by his parents and it is pretty fucking somber. For the European or those who are otherwise unfamiliar with the American Education system in New York, Miles is entering a lottery to have a chance to go to this really expensive charter school. Why his parents are taking this seriously is because if their kid does not get that lucky number, they are otherwise screwed and have to admit their children to the public school in their neighborhood. This is literally their only chance that the children can actually succeed in anything and does define their lives. This lottery is only given to poor kids who are usually minorities. Yep, it is definitely fucked up. Anyways, Miles Morales wins the lottery with the lottery with the lucky number 42(Jackie Robinson's number...he was the first black baseball player to enter the MLB)

His parents are proud and happy because their kid will make it. Miles looks around in the audience and you see children upset, parents crying, and it is a pretty morbid scene. Yeah, this is a lot to take in with just one introduction of a character. So after all of that, Miles goes to see his uncle who seems like a cool dude. I mean Aaron is the awesome Uncle that you wish you had. He is the cross between Snoop Dogg and Jamie Foxx. He is doing typical Uncle stuff like congratulating Miles on his selection and hopes that he does well. Shit looks good until his Uncle leaves and he gets bitten by a Spider while eating ice cream.

Miles_Morales_(Earth-1610)_from_Ultimate

Damn, nature. You scary.

This comic book makes me so happy. Like everytime, Marvel releases a new issue, I get gidyy like a school girl because guys...I'm not kidding when I tell you that it is really fucking good, Like...really fucking good. Like seriously. First off, let me tell you that the art is fan-fucking-tastic. Yes, that above image is pretty much the standard comic book art. Hell, it only gets better. The main comic book artist, Sara Pichelli, is by far the best Marvel has right now. This shit looks like a fucking painting.

ultsm2011020_cov_col_02.jpg

And Miles and Venom are trapped in...a nigga moment

The characters are sublime. First, let me point out Miles' parents. They are actually involved in his life. No really. They are right there in there. They are not as neglectful as Kingdom Hearts parents and have worrisome health like Aunt May. They are involved in his life and are good parents. We see them struggle to raise a kid in a Post-Ultimatum world where there are super human beings running rampant and shit. Jefferson Morales, his dad, hates how he has to live in constant worry because of super heros just running around and doing seemingly whatever they want. He does not like mutants which is understandable because a mutant flooded all of New York or super heroes. He also had a criminal past with his brother aka the Prowler, who

Miles got in a battle with because Aaron found out who Miles was and tried to use him as an enforcer. The battle killed Aaron.

Because of this, Miles does not want to confide in his dad about his super hero extra curricular activities. Rio is just a good mother who wants to spend more time with her son even though he is mandated to stay in charter school. He is allowed to leave on the weekends. Then you have Miles best friend, Ganke which I suspect is short for Gankeyama,, who knows Miles is Spider-man and helps him out when he can. And no, just because there are a new cast of characters does not mean the old crew just disappeared. Jessica Drew aka Spider-woman, Aunt May, Gwen Stacey, Mary Jane, and J. Jonah are still involved with this series and mostly want to help Miles out because they see him as Peter's legacy. The cast is so good that you care for the supporting characters and how they are doing. Miles doesn't need to get in gear to make this comic. 

Get this comic series. Like really. Get it!

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 3

And on the topic of Ultimate Spider-man, I'm so fucking happy they ended the Hydra War crossover story and we can get back to Miles and his challanges as Spider-man. I mean he's going to be contending with a new Venom next and it looks damn scary now.

ultspidy20-3.jpg

Edited by BeelzeBummer
  • Thumbs Up 2

I thought Ultimate Venom didn't have the insignia except in cover art or when he was attached to Peter Parker.

So, I actually read Superior Spider-Man 1 out of morbid curiosity. Not entirely bad but, not entirely good either due to creepy ass perv Octavius with Mary Jane. Seriously, why do that? But anyway, I figure it would be best that I tell people that Peter Parker is already set up to come back, I am seriously not kidding with that. Last page, he's some sort of subconscious twinge or whatever the hell, represented by Star Wars force ghost, and he says that one way or another, he'll find a way back. He stops Otto from being the obvious dick he is, when he tries to kill Boomerang.

Edited by King Of Awesome

• 3 months later...

So on the topic of Ultimate Spider-Man.....

Looks like Miles can't escape the Parker curse. Never become Spider-man or this will happen to you.

b7RJS7b.jpg

Hoo boy....

And now onto Superior Spider-man. Also for reference I'm calling Doc-Ock Spider-man Spock.

I'm really trying to take this seriously, but the latest couple of issues are making me wonder if this whole thing is a joke.

See, Spock is somewhat a good Spider-man. Why hell, he even performs brain surgery on a little girl (for both his own personal reasons and because he was partly responsible for her condition).

But like Ralph said above, he's being.....possessed by Peter Parker's ghost/memory??? It's really stupid. Like for instance the Avengers do a brain scan on him to see if anything's wrong (which something is clearly wrong on the scanner, yet Spock is the only one to catch the error. If only Tony was there...) and Peter's ghost posses Spock's hand to try and write a note and warn the Avengers of his predicament, which obviously doesn't work out in the end.

Basically at the end of the issue, Spock puts on a brain thing-a-ma-jiggy, and finally notices Peter. So in the next issue he goes into his mind to try and "erase" Peter from his mind.

In the preview of Issue 9

Doc-Ock (in his old tentacle body) meets Peter face to face, telling him how he deserves to be Spider-man more then Peter, and will erase him from his mind.  Peter says some boring words, and then uses the (not kidding here) power of friendship to call upon his friends and family (since they're in Peter's mind, Peter has control of the world in there) and they proceed to dogpile Doc-Ock before the preview ends

Yeah.....

See my main problem is that this should've been a story arc that begins and ends in Amazing Spider-man, not literally ending Amazing Spider-man and branching off into it's own comic series. Because quite frank, it's stupid.

I mean I actually somewhat like Spock. He's an okay character, and the comic series isn't bad or anything, it's just the concept and situation that led up to all this is incredibly stupid in just about every way.

But yeah.....Spider-man!

That's literally the worst thing you could do to a hero in Miles position, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Edited by Balding Spider

Just a little update for Superior Spider-man

To put it simply

Spock discovered Peter's ghost/memory was haunting him, so he goes inside his mind to kill him
Peter holds off Spock by using the power of friendship, but Doc Ock does this too, except with villians.
They Kill all of Peter's friends and family in his mind, Peter forgets who they are
Peter RIPS OFF his face and skin and clothes, suddenly becoming Amazing Spider-man, and beats up Ock

lGSRJiB.jpg

Ock then does the same exact thing, only becoming SUPERIOR Spider-man, and beats up Peter

i99tmhQ.jpg

Spock then guilt trips Peter into believing he is not deserving of being spider-man (as shown in the two pics below)

NfMctua.jpg
x2pEcJI.jpg

and now Spock is finally free of Peter Parker, who is effectively deader then dead at this point.

So, what was the point of bringing Peter back as a ghost?
Just so Dan Slott could kill him again and remind us how much Marvel hates Spider-man fans.

God damn it.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 2