Awoo.

The Amazing Spider Man (Comic Series)

Soniman

So I've started reading from #1 again...have no idea if I'll really end up going through with reading everything again, but we'll see. I should at least read through Spectacular, since I've actually never done that.

I had forgotten how often these early issues either tie in with or include cameos of the Fantastic Four. Stan Lee and Steve Ditko were clearly using their success with that to try to sell Spider-Man to the public.

...Which I find absolutely hilarious, because I don't think anyone really cares about the Fantastic Four anymore. I mean really, does anyone here buy Fantastic Four or know anyone who does?

BTW, just started reading #5 and realized something: if Flash Thomson and his gang are supposed to be the bane of Peter's high school existence...then why are they *always* hanging out together or inviting Peter along with them?

Edited by Speederino

...Which I find absolutely hilarious, because I don't think anyone really cares about the Fantastic Four anymore. I mean really, does anyone here buy Fantastic Four or know anyone who does?

...Well...as a matter of fact... I do. The Thing is my favourite Marvel character, with Spidey being a close second.

Edited by Azure Nald
  • Thumbs Up 2

...Well...as a matter of fact... I do. The Thing is my favourite Marvel character, with Spidey being a close second.

Ah. Okey dokey then biggrin.png

Actually, I read the first thirty issues of Ultimate FF and rather enjoyed it. But I have no idea what's going on with regular FF, and I never hear anyone talk about it.

Just read the new Ultimate Spider-man and I read someone here say that they don't buy them monthly because the pacing is slow.

Right now, I'd tell you to buy up to 12 because shit just got real.

Also, did anyone see the red headed girl peeping at Miles. Oh snap. The media is going to go bonkers if Miles ends up with a white girl. So much racism, so little time.

Spider-men is pretty awesome as well. 616 decides to visit Ultimate Peter Parker's home and finds an alive Gwen Stacey and a younger Aunt May. It was pretty damn cathartic.

Edited by turbojet

Also, did anyone see the red headed girl peeping at Miles. Oh snap. The media is going to go bonkers if Miles ends up with a white girl. So much racism, so little time.

I don't get it. What's wrong with a black guy dating a white girl? That's something I never understood in American comic-books. Black guys only with black women ( like Black Panther and Storm) and white guys with white women. In this day and age, is someone really going to be scandalized? I mean, poor Miles has gone through hell, give the guy some slack.

Edited by Azure Nald

Depends.

I personally do not care(Black guy dating a Latina here). But let's there are plenty of unfortunate implications involving perspective of beauty and what not.

Read the 3rd issue of Spider-Men. I don't have any clue of what happened in the Ultimate universe before the introduction of Miles, but the last page is building up for something heart-wrenching.

I've never been too deep in to Spider-Man comicsbut I do know a decent bit due to TVtropes and reading forums. Recently I have been collecting volumes f Ultimate Spiderman and I bought a few issues of Amazing(The first and third End of Days issues) and subscribed to Amazing.

Amazing is reallty good from what I have been reading. I realy like the art and the writing and I have been actually hearing good things about Dan Slott's run so it's kind of surprising to see somehate for it considering i have heard praise for it before on this very board. But, yeah, I really am liking what I have read of Amazing but sadly I have had trouble of getting issue two of End of Days and my subscription is late. But I'm liking it. That and Dan Slott seems to be a cool guy. I've seen him post on forums and talki about the characters and express dislike for the ending of Peter and Mary Jane's marraige. There was actually a really good conversation between him and a few other writers for Amazing about the end of the marriage that was posted on a thread he frequents. It was pretty intense as people on both sides kind of tore in to eachother.

Ultimate is amazing. I mean, it just kicks ass and never ever stops kicking. Say what you want about Gobby but the fantastic art, grounded consistantly good writing, likeable chariterizations and the beautifully done contrast between the lives of Peter and Spider-man had me hooked in the series on a constant basis. i would get two volumes a week and read through them as soon as i got home. It ws so great to see the new film take elements from it and nail down the contrast that Ultimate pulls off beautifully.

Read the 3rd issue of Spider-Men. I don't have any clue of what happened in the Ultimate universe before the introduction of Miles.

Loeb destroyed the Ultimate line by killing off the majority of heroes villians and supporting characters such as Wolverine, happy hogan, the Wasp, most of the X-men team, Doctor Doom, ect.

The Mutants learn that they're not the next step in evolution but the products of human experimantations.

Reed Richards turned evil killed his family and tried to sell out the planet to an alien race. And recently returned to create the world of the future by destroying anything that got in his way.

Thor is now the last remaining Asguardian currently alive thanks to Reed.

All mutants are being hunted down by by crazed robots and placed in camps.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd post this here since it does in fact have to do with spider-man as well as other characters.

XOB8x.jpg

Honestly I'm sour on the majority of this. I don't mind Wolverines, Rocket Racoons, or The invisible womans designs at all since (Rocket aside) they've been sporting these looks for some time. And Rocket just looks like he out of GG uniform. That aside I'm not really enjoying what I'm seeing here.

I mean some of these designs seem so stupid and pointless.

Why the hell does Thor need two swords when he has the all powerfull mjiorlnir? Does it run out of power now or somethin'?

Then the Hulk has armor.... why someone whose skin is strong enough to withstand the burn of planetary atmosphere need armor? That's as dumb as say Superman wearing armor.

Cyclops has a giant X head laser now which he shouldn't be able to see out of...nothing more needs to be said.

I already wasnt a fan of the Avengers costume of Captain America, but with this version it really looks like they couldn't make up their minds. It's like they took the Ultimate, First Avenger, and The Avengers versions of this costume and blended them together. It honestly looks like theres too much going on in this costume, and come across as messy.

As for Spider-man and Iron man I'm just meh on this. Iron man has a new color, and Spider-man has lost his red arm stripes.....which reminds me of the crappy Ultimate Spider-man from the cartoon! SONOFA-

Edit: Just noticed Spider-mans mask now has pupils and it looks fucking creepy.

Edited by Balding Spider

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly am I looking at here? A new series, Avengers, a showcase for a bunch of new costumes, promo art...what?

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly am I looking at here? A new series, Avengers, a showcase for a bunch of new costumes, promo art...what?

I think it's just for showing off some new costumes and to lead up to other new stuff happening for the marvel universe.

Right now I'm glad I'm only reading three titles right now.

Edited by Balding Spider

Spider-Man's awesome.

Too bad Marvel ruined him in the comics with the One More Day storyline.

Linkara, I will buy him a drink for literally saying word for word how I feel about Spider-man.

http://thatguywithth...w-200th-episode

Well guys Linkara finally caved in and decided to review the worst Spidey comic ever made.

It's a 2 part spectacular.

That is officially my favorite episode of AT4W. It's not often that Linkara reviews something I've actually read, and in this case it happened to be something I hate just as much as him, if not more so.

It also explains why he was asking people on Twitter a couple weeks back if Spidey had ever been dimension-hopping. And I was so, *so* happy to hear him address that, because that bit about Spidey "not believing in alternate timelines" has always bugged the shit out of me. Quesada Whoever wrote that line clearly didn't do the fucking research. It's like Harry Potter saying he doesn't believe in unicorns. It may not be something he deals with on a regular basis, but he'd have to be an idiot to not believe in them.

Edited by Speederino

Turbojet is the rest of Ultimate Spider Man so consistently awesome? Because that is hilarious.

Edited by Megatronus

Ultimate kicks ass, I started it from the beginning and i'm loving it so far, might just cherrypick the rest of the arcs that sound awesome, but yes it's indeed awesome fun.

Turbojet is the rest of Ultimate Spider Man so consistently awesome? Because that is hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 9

In several ways, yeah.

For one, Doc Ock is fucking intimidating:

Ultimate-Spidey-vs-Doc-Ock-spider-man-villains-2113714-397-599.jpg

Well guys Linkara finally caved in and decided to review the worst Spidey comic ever made.

This points out EXACTLY why OMD sucked. While I'll still probably get current issues, because they have gotten much better, OMD is more a terribly written story than the Clone Saga. Also, I kind of like the Marvel NOW! costumes. Deal with it.

I watched it, loved it... A perfect look at why this comic is such an abomination.

Though I'm with Linkara when I say that I felt more offended by the whole "Escapist fantasy fans/gamers/comic book readers are life hating losers" than the stupidity of Spiderman making a deal with the devil. Seriously I'm reading a comic about a man who has the powers of a spider... don't you dare insult the people you are aiming for, assholes.

I hate it when the author insults their readers, I don't care what the subject is.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings