Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

If there's another little peeve I have, it's how insanely difficult it apparently is to get Darkspine Sonic's design right in fanart. A 100% accurate art of this form is amazingly rare and the vast majority of Darkspine art either gets much of his design aspects wrong or misses them out. Like how his quills aren't drawn correctly, resembling normal form's quills instead of how they really are. They're actually considerably different and are attached to his head differently;

darkspinespine-1.pngdarkspine.png

He also has no mouth at all and doesn't wear shoes, socks or gloves.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think it was the name issue. The Act is officially known as "Windmill Isle", but everyone calls it Apotos after the hub world.

Much like how:

Mazuri --> Savannah Citadel

Spagonia --> Rooftop Run

Holoska --> Cool Edge

Chun-nan --> Dragon Road

Shamar --> Arid Sands

Empire City --> Skyscraper Scamper

Adabat --> Jungle Joyride

Hell the only one people do get right is Eggmanland, since the name of the hub is the same as the Act.

Ohhh okay yeah I can agree with that.

I'm usually pretty pedantic about act names but I do occasionally use the area name since it's quicker to type and I'm being lazy.

You don't just develop an eye colour and have your eyelids outright change colour as you get older. Well, unless it's contacts and makeup.
Well, puberty does make you grow hair in new places. And who says they can't change eye color? It doesn't happen in humans, but Sonic isn't a human. I know dalmatians are born without their spots, which come in a few weeks later...this is obviously quite a bit longer, but it's not entirely implausible.

Are we supposed to believe that Sonic suddenly changed from Classic to Modern between S3&K and Sonic 4?
This is a bit of a stretch, but it's also really not worth worrying about.

And what about Eggman? You can't even argue that he 'grew up', since he's already an adult, and his Classic-Modern redesign is even more drastic.
Is it? Most of the difference is his clothes. For the rest, he's getting old, maybe he starts to sag a bit. His gut starts to droop so he doesn't have that perfect spherical body. His face/cheeks starts to sag making his jaw more squarish than round. How much else is different?

...This got quite a few likes so I'm really not sure what I'm missing here. Are you ticked off that it was a mini tutorial stage instead of a proper one or... what?
I...would guess he means people calling the stages by the name of the country. Apotos is the country, Windmill Isle is the name of the actual stage(s). e: Beaten Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 has gritty stories?

The Adventure games' stories weren't really gritty at all. But going back to my idea that the series isn't really ever given decent analysis, I think both of them had a unifying theme that the other supposed Adventure knock-offs lack: People can do some really shitty and unjustifiable things to you in your past, things that would prompt you to want to do some nasty misdeeds in return, but exacting vengeance is never okay. It's fine to be angry, but to take an eye for an eye against other innocents means you're no better. To recognize that, and to change, offers hope and atonement for all parties involved.

Also, I used to have a habit of calling the Unleashed stages by their country, but I had no idea it was really such a bother to people. No one ever confronted me about it, but I try to be mindful, except in Chun-Nan's case, because I personally hate calling it Chun-Nan. Chu-Nan sounds better. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

Whenever someone says Sonic is a "tired concept", sometimes it's even "a tired concept to begin with". It's not the opinion that bothers me as much as the fact that I've heard many people say this and not a god damn one of them every tries to elaborate. Because what the fuck does it mean to be a "tired concept?" Platforming? Speed? Speed and platforming? Shouldn't this mean every platformer and racing game is also a tired concept? Are you saying Sonic isn't unique anymore, if so then what other franchises combine speed and platforming in this style? If these franchises exist, aren't *they* the tired concepts for shamelessly ripping off another property?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?

• Thumbs Up 1

donno if this has been mentioned, i skim read.... but it really annoys me when EVERY time that we get BRAND NEW GAMEPLAY vids for an unreleased sonic game, the person playing it ALWAYS sucks sleep.png i wouldnt mind so much but it seems that nearly always, that SAME person then goes on about how terrible the game is because its waaaaay to complicated.... i get a feeling most of these people never played a platformer before..

Edited by Naysu
  • Thumbs Up 6

The boss recycling in between the main game (Colors) and interlapping bosses in multiple stories are a tad annoying and boringly predictable. *glares at SA2, Heroes, 06 and Colors

^ I will admit during Sonic Adventure replays I get soooooo friggin' tired of Chaos 4.

(Don't really appreciate having to play two pairs of exactly the same Tornado acts either).

When the games try out a different gameplay concept (Werehog, swords, kart racing, ect), and when said concept is first shown/announced, people are all like 'DIS GAEM SUXS!!!1 SAWNIK IS DEAD NAO!!!1'

The game hasn't even come out yet. WHY are you saying it sucks when you haven't even played it? Good lord! Then of course they have to bring out the 'Adventure Card'. You know what I'm talking about. The whole 'Sonic Adventure 2 was the last good Sonic game' crap and stuff like that. ...Didn't the Adventure games have different gameplay concepts themselves, other than just speed? Why do they escape criticism like that?=/

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's see what I can drag out here:

-People who want a character to be a Gary Stu. Don't think I need to go on about Shadow Fanboys, particularly Total Shadow.

-People who think that the modern characters need to die because they've been badly characterized and such.

-People who think that we should have no story because Sonic's hasn't had a good story. Right, because since Sonic never had a good plot obviously means he never will! :rolleyes:

-Classic fans who bash anything Modern

-Modern fans who bash anything Classic

-Bashing in general. If you're gonna hate something, do it accurately, please. You'll get less bad attention on your ass that way.

-The "SA3" mess, and by extension the Sonic 4. Ironically for the latter they got it, but not in the way they meant. Makes me wonder how Sonic Team would botch SA3 if they ever got it. You KNOW you're thinking of them doing that. :lol:

-People who think that Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Eggman should be the only main characters, and no other character so much as deserves or will EVER earn the chance to be among them...despite some characters like Shadow being the only one who has done enough to earn a spot.

-Anyone who doesn't want to bother fixing something that's broken and would rather throw it away on the first screw up. Now that's just quitting way too easily and effortlessly to the point of ridiculous.

That's my usual peeves...

Also,

I take all three of your images and raise it with Butler and Kenders art:

SallyAcorn02.png

I actually like this look for Sally...but only because I'm perverted like that. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 5

And people on Bumbleking wonder why the reprint of SSS#11 had the vest edit...

No offence meant, CSS.

Also, I hate how limited the character interactions are in this series; over 20 recurring characters and half of them haven't even had a sentence with each other, you may as well have stick figures with masks. Even the among the main group of characters, the interaction is limited, seriously have Tails & Knuckles ever had a real conversation before? How about Tails & Amy? Knuckles & Amy? It's ridiculous. No wonder so many people don't care about the characters, there's hardly any bond between them.

I feel like I've heard this before.

Edited by The Batman
  • Thumbs Up 5

And people on Bumbleking wonder why the reprint of SSS#11 had the vest edit...

No offence meant, CSS.

Uh...none taken?

Makes me wonder how Sonic Team would botch SA3 if they ever got it. You KNOW you're thinking of them doing that. laugh.png

I know I'm a bitch for saying this, but I think it would be hilarious if SEGA basically trolled the the SA3 fanboys by making an SA3 that was purposely bad. Obviously, they wouldn't do that, but just the thought of that happening is quite amusing. xD

I know I'm a bitch for saying this, but I think it would be hilarious if SEGA basically trolled the the SA3 fanboys by making an SA3 that was purposely bad. Obviously, they wouldn't do that,
Are we entirely sure that they haven't already?
  • Thumbs Up 4

Are we entirely sure that they haven't already?

Not unless you want Nepenthe to bring up her image of Compare/Contrast Sonic 4 and Sonic 06 again. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

You know what is another peeve of mine?

SoA fantards who actually label Yuji Naka as a racist asshole who is solely responsible for the death of X-Treme.

Now, I've had this out with another member before but I'll say it again; The notion is bunk. Instances such as Naka requesting that no Americans be on the Sonic 3 development team is quite reasonable when you take into account that the language barrier was a massive stumbling block during the development of Sonic 2 and definately contributed to the difficulties in the games development because there was no absolutely solid development team as a result of poor interactions due to the language barrier.

That isn't racism. That's an action that was taken in the interests of the game.

Also, Naka not being happy with his NiGHTS engine being used without his permission during X-Treme's development may have been a bit of a dickish move given the state of the development team and their lack of resources but I can understand why one would be protective of their code especially if it was taken without their permission. Naka has frequently given me the impression that he is quite protective of Sonic and the Sonic series going by his admittance at last year's SOS that if he'd have heard about the Western story of Sonic back in the day he'd have been pretty angry. Yet he still admitted that the Westernization of Sonic's design and such was instrumental to Sonic's success, proving that he did have the interest of the series at heart despite not liking the Westernization (3:19 in this video);

It always confused me as to why that Madeline Schroeder lady said Sonic "originally had fangs" in that documentary. With all the early sketches and concept art of Sonic they've shown, literally none of them had fangs.

He had fangs in the Sonic Manga released to tie in with it (which had a lot of scrapped concepts) so it's not completely out of nowhere.

If there's another little peeve I have, it's how insanely difficult it apparently is to get Darkspine Sonic's design right in fanart. A 100% accurate art of this form is amazingly rare and the vast majority of Darkspine art either gets much of his design aspects wrong or misses them out. Like how his quills aren't drawn correctly, resembling normal form's quills instead of how they really are. They're actually considerably different and are attached to his head differently;

darkspinespine-1.pngdarkspine.png

He also has no mouth at all and doesn't wear shoes, socks or gloves.

thank you

i just hate when an artist uses the whole "its my style, my rules" when drawing official things, unless its exaggerated to meet with their style, but simply drawing something wrong and not admitting it is probably one of my biggest pet peeves as an artist with a terrible eye for perfection and detail...

i've just thought of another major hate that stops me hanging around public art sites in the sonic fandom

i'm not sure how to pinpoint it, but its a certain crowd of people IN the fandom that pisses me off, and its the one's with scene sonic fan characters that all look the fucking same

big tits

big hair

rainbow colours

over amount of piercings

and they seem to BAND together as some sort of cult, they all type with lower casing and small letters, use the same text smilies and have a thing for making "femboy couples" (a femboy is a boy that dresses, looks and acts like a girl btw) and it just irritates me how much attention they get, how samey they are and they all eventually gather to my page and like it because its "dark and sexy"

then i see them make characters based off mine and simply discard their mains and i get idiots come to my page saying i've copied them and their art for attention... even with time stamps on my work dating back to 2006-2008

fucking morons.

more of a personal dislike towards the artist side of the sonic fandom....

• Thumbs Up 3

Hate hate HATE Sonic characters with messed up proportions in fanart. Bip hips, huge eyes, big boobs, tall or muscular...just annoys me. And yeah, that was very common in the Archie comics back in the day. Thank God they don't do that anymore! Just looking back on those issues and seeing that "art"...*shudder* And those images a few pages back...Knuckles what have they done to you?! DX

Oh, and you know I mentioned how I can't stand ridiculous couples in the Sonic fandom? Well I also can't stand it when the fans of these couples say there's definite proof in a Sonic game that these characters care for each other. For example;

ShadAmy fangirl: OMG you can totally tell they love each other because in SA2 when Amy hugged Shadow, he didn't mind at all! He really does care about Amy yaaaay!

NOOOOOO! It's even worse when they try to prove that there's gay tension between characters in a game! Yeah right, SEGA would never make Sonic, Knuckles or any other character gay!

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hate hate HATE Sonic characters with messed up proportions in fanart. Bip hips, huge eyes, big boobs
tXJp6.jpg???
  • Thumbs Up 6

Hate hate HATE Sonic characters with messed up proportions in fanart. Bip hips, huge eyes, big boobs, tall or muscular...just annoys me

i honestly dislike people who think just because its sonic, it has to be drawn canonically

if everyone drew like SEGA or Archie, it would be the most boring franchise for an artist ever.