Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

People that rail on Rogue's 4Kids voice, but that may just be because I have an older cousin who sounds so much like her. I honestly can't see the "40 year old chain smoker" tag fitted to her.

Actually, let's apply this to all the 4Kids VAs. It's all subjective, but seeing people label the voices (not just the voice acting, but the actual voices alone) as a definitive bullet point for reasons why a Sonic game is bad just bugs me.

EDIT: And I just realize that had I been paying attention, the VA schtick was covered two posts above me. Lol.

Edited by Dr. Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 4

Besides, Sonic had voice clips, he didn't have any lines in Brawl, why does it matter if Ryan would be voicing Sonic? It'd just be rehashed voice clips people have heard a million times.

Sonic has a couple of new lines but it's not a big deal to call Nintendo to get Ryan to voice him for Brawl when all Sonic going to do is yell or grunt during gameplay.

It's even funnier when some people thought it was Ryan's voice in the Sonic reveal trailer, lol.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic has a couple of new lines but it's not a big deal to call Nintendo to get Ryan to voice him for Brawl when all Sonic going to do is yell or grunt during gameplay.

I get peeved at:

- Sonic Recolors Fan Characters and Self-Insert Fan Fics.

- Non-canon Shipping and Ship Fics. (Though this isn't just limited to Sonic, I feel this way towards most- if not all fandoms.)

- People who argue over Eggman/Robotnik's name. Both names are canon, deal with it.

- People who call Sonic's world 'Mobius', and not Earth.

- People who think voice acting ultimately decides the quality of a Sonic game, rather than gameplay, graphics, music, story, etc.

- People who think characters who were exclusively featured in the cartoons/anime and comics should be in the main game series.

- People who think Sonic Adventure 2 is the Holy Grail of the Sonic series, and bash the recent titles for not being 'dark and gritty' shonen anime cliches and/or like Call of Duty games.

- People who think a 'Sonic Adventure 3' will 'save' the franchise.

- People who send death threats to people who voice cartoony technicolor animals that wear big gloves and shoes.

...that's all I can think of right now.

• Thumbs Up 8

I get peeved at:

- Sonic Recolors Fan Characters and Self-Insert Fan Fics.

- Non-canon Shipping and Ship Fics. (Though this isn't just limited to Sonic, I feel this way towards most- if not all fandoms.)

- People who argue over Eggman/Robotnik's name. Both names are canon, deal with it.

- People who call Sonic's world 'Mobius', and not Earth.

- People who think voice acting ultimately decides the quality of a Sonic game, rather than gameplay, graphics, music, story, etc.

- People who think characters who were exclusively featured in the cartoons/anime and comics should be in the main game series.

- People who think Sonic Adventure 2 is the Holy Grail of the Sonic series, and bash the recent titles for not being 'dark and gritty' shonen anime cliches and/or like Call of Duty games.

- People who think a 'Sonic Adventure 3' will 'save' the franchise.

- People who send death threats to people who voice cartoony technicolor animals that wear big gloves and shoes.

...that's all I can think of right now.

Edited by Fix-It Felix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hate the editing in the cutscenes of SA2. I know it's because of complications when it came to English dubbing, but it still always annoyed me when the characters would talk over each other. "Did you find my emThat's a good one! YOUR emerald!" They also tend to talk really quietly, which was also a problem in SA1.

And now for a reeeeeeeally nitpicky thing that always annoyed me. It's gotten better in the last couple games, but still.

Compare these two pictures.

sonic12.jpg

TV2008051117584800.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

"Faker? You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good enough to be my- I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS!"

"I'll use your- CHAOS CONTROOOOOOOOOOOOOL!"

Yeah... I have to agree, the poor voice editing is one of the reasons why I don't really like playing SA2 in English.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

I don't know why you'd use the Heroes render as an example. That only makes me hate the side-mouth more.

e: Excessive side-mouth is a peeve of mine. I can understand it in some situations, and it's kind of established as A Thing for the series, but it just looks silly to have Sonic's mouth flapping away on the side when relative to the camera he's mostly straight-on. Looks like his jaw is severely broken or something.

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 5

I couldn't find many good pictures, most were from Sonic X. And I kinda like that render.

Ehh side mouths for characters like tails, blaze, amy in my opinion work fine. Characters like Knuckles, Sonic, Shadow should have side mouths though. It looks weird for them to have center mouths. Oh and Eggman. Eggman NEEDS A SIDE MOUTH!!!!!:D

• Thumbs Up 2

How does a character having their mouth in the place that a mouth is supposed to be look weird?

For cartoony characters like Sonic I always thought it looked cooler on the side. Part of it comes from how cool the 2D Adventure/Sonic Channel art looks, and how having side mouths would make the models look closer to that art, which I would like.

NITPICK. Moving on.

How does a character having their mouth in the place that a mouth is supposed to be look weird?

It could be that I've just gotten used to side mouths for those characters. That and after seeing the 06 Center mouth and super smash one I'd take the side mouth any day.

In Sonic Adventure, Why is Sonic still mouthing words after he finished talking

Also the whole bring back up Mario and Sonic rivalry that die years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

See, that's a shot where the side mouth is warranted. It's a smirk, it makes sense to pull to the side. But why is it like that all the time?

• Thumbs Up 5

Whenever i see someone says "Sonic franchise died after Sonic 3&K". That shit irritates me, and the whole SA3 thing

• Thumbs Up 1

People that rail on Rogue's 4Kids voice, but that may just be because I have an older cousin who sounds so much like her. I honestly can't see the "40 year old chain smoker" tag fitted to her.

Actually, let's apply this to all the 4Kids VAs. It's all subjective, but seeing people label the voices (not just the voice acting, but the actual voices alone) as a definitive bullet point for reasons why a Sonic game is bad just bugs me.

EDIT: And I just realize that had I been paying attention, the VA schtick was covered two posts above me. Lol.

I was less put off by the fact that she sounded very different and more annoyed with the lack of emotion in her voice to be honest.

And don't forget people that complain about or send death threats to critics that give certain Sonic games low scores. Notably IGN.

To be fair, Hilary Goldstein's video review of Sonic Unleashed WAS very unprofessional and didn't really give all that much information on the game itself.

• Thumbs Up 6

My biggest thing is there is no official story, some people dont consider shadow cannon since its not sonic but it is cannon because the story is clearly in between heroes and 06. Personally I think sega finds it funny to watch people come up with ideas like this.

Flicky

Sonic The Hedgehog GG

Sonic The Hedgehog GEN

Sonic The Hedgehog CD

Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine/Tails Adventure

SegaSonic the Hedgehog

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 GEN (Sonic first meeting with Tails)

Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - Sonic & Tails' story (Knuckles)

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 GG

Sonic The Hedgehog: Chaos

Sonic The Hedgehog 4 (Metal Sonic returns) Year 2

Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (Nack)

Sonic Blast

Sonic Labyrinth/Tails Sky Patrol (They split and go on their own adventures)

Knuckles Chaotix (Sonic & Tails join back Knuckles at the end of the real ending)

Sonic 3D Blast (Team Sonic unites and goes to Flicky Island together)

Sonic Championship (Nack and Espio)

Sonic R

Sonic the Hedgehog: Pocket Adventure (Eggman changes his adventure outfit for the first time here)

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Shuffle

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Advance

Sonic Advance 2 (Cream)

Sonic Pinball Party (Amy make a comment on this game in Sonic Heroes)

Sonic Heroes

Sonic Battle

Sonic Advance 3

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic Rush

Sonic Riders

Sonic The Hedgehog

Sonic Rivals

Sonic and the Secret Rings

Sonic Rush Adventure

Sonic Rivals 2

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic and the Black Knight

Sonic Free Riders

Sonic Colors

Sonic Generations

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Would you be laughing if you made a bunch of games and had no story line so people came up with list like this?

Are you trying to imply that the names for all these games sound outlandish?

Because they're not, honestly.

I think he's suggesting a joke that Sega came up with a bunch of unrelated games in order to watch the fanbase fight over their canon... I think.

No, there is no official order to the sonic story. So people make these list to try to make a official sonic game order. I like a vast majority of the sonic games.

The last part was just a joke. I don't think sega does it on purpose but I try to add small jokes to the end of things.

Edited by Shadon

This topic is going to make me run out of likes.

They are called rings, not coins. Say it with me: RINGS.

This especially when you tell said person (people) about real life objects being the same way and they insist on calling them that. I've had that happen to me twice.

Elitist fanboys who roast anything negative of something they like and label anyone who holds such negative opinions "whiners," "complainers," etc. (regardless whether their criticisms are justified or not) and constantly try to paint them as scapegoats.

Even worse is when they accuse these critics of some horrible thing they are usually doing the same (in this case the critics may have done so, but from what I've seen it's either usually done only by a select few or it's not done as a large or frequent scale as that of the fanboys).

I'm pretty sure there's people who do the same thing to people who hold a positive opinion of something (I'm not too fond of them either), but I've seen a lot of the former at a certain subforum at the Sega Forums.